Alternate Winter Olympic host cities, present and future

Starting from 1924, please list the host cities for every Winter Olympic games up to the future 2026 games that you would have liked to have happened and would like to happen.

Here is my list:

1924 - Chamonix, France
1928 - Davos, Switzerland
1932 - Lake Placid, United States
1936 - Montreal, Canada
1948 - St. Moritz, Switzerland
1952 - Oslo, Norway
1956 - Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy
1960 - Squaw Valley, United States
1964 - Innsbruck, Austria
1968 - Lahti, Finland
1972 - Sapporo, Japan
1976 - Denver, United States
1980 - Kirovsk, Soviet Union
1984 - Gothenburg, Sweden
1988 - Calgary, Canada
1992 - Albertville, France
1994 - Sofia, Bulgaria
1998 - Nagano, Japan
2002 - Salt Lake City, United States
2006 - Zakopane, Poland
2010 - Vancouver, Canada
2014 - Almaty, Kazakhstan
2018 - Munich, Germany
2022 - Pyeongchang, South Korea
2026 - Tallinn, Estonia
2030 - Beijing, China
2034 - Boston, United States
2038 - Auckland-Queenstown, New Zealand
2042 - Santiago, Chile
2048 - Quebec City, Canada
2052 - Erzurum, Turkey
2056 - Jaca, Spain
2060 - Shimla, India

Last edited:
With the early games, the winter games and the summer games were always in the same country. To have an alternative set of winter game locations, you just continue that tradition.

1932 Lake Arrowhead CA, that was the first choice to hold the Winter Games but it was switched to Lake Placid.
1976 Denver if only the people were not misled by Gary Hart and Patricia Schroeder there would have been a "Bicentennial Olympics" .
2018 Munich for two reasons, it would have been the first time a city has hosted both Summer and Winter Games and it would allow Munich to redeem themselves for 1972.
2022 Boston if they could also host the 2024 Olympics that way a lot of the existing venues could be reused for both games and there was a plan to build a 70,000 seat stadium for track and field that would have been reduced to 25-30,00 seats after the games for MLS Revolution, the stadium could have been used for Long Track Speed Skating.

Puzzle

Donor
2022 Boston if they could also host the 2024 Olympics that way a lot of the existing venues could be reused for both games and there was a plan to build a 70,000 seat stadium for track and field that would have been reduced to 25-30,00 seats after the games for MLS Revolution, the stadium could have been used for Long Track Speed Skating.
Bostonians were pretty firmly against hosting the Olympics I’d thought.

I think one of the problems is that the set up and structures used for the Olympics are extremely expensive and in most cases of little use after the games are over. It almost might to better to have a single location where the infrastructure for the games can be reused for training and future games.

SsgtC

Banned
I think one of the problems is that the set up and structures used for the Olympics are extremely expensive and in most cases of little use after the games are over. It almost might to better to have a single location where the infrastructure for the games can be reused for training and future games.
I think a lot of cities are coming to this realization. And are more and more proposing the use of existing venues rather than purpose built ones that are essentially useless after the games. I believe the LA games, almost all the venues are going to be in preexisting structures. Some the same ones asas la time LA hosted the games. Very few venues are being constructed for the games

On Denver 76, my home town, and knowing Dick Lamm (former Governor who led the anti charge) passingly. The logic on passing it up was they wanted avoid the growth that came anyway. I think that was a lesson that could only be learned in retrospect. For me personally, at age 10 I got to try Luge....once. If there had been a track locally (And I lived half an hour from one of possible the atl track).

Here's my sad ones.

I remember reading James Michener's 1963 book Caravans when still in Junior High. In the afterward, James Michener comments on how bright a future Afganistan will have.

How about an atl where, after 50 years of prosperity, Kabul is in a position to host the 2014 or 2018 Olympics, rather than what actually happened. It would be so much nicer to hear that the worst the Afgans had to complain about were cost overruns.

It would be great if the former Yugoslavia was winning more medals due to use of the Sarajevo to train atheletes rather than what happend.

Here is my list:

1924 - Chamonix, France
1928 - Davos, Switzerland
1932 - Lake Placid, United States
1936 - Montreal, Canada
1948 - St. Moritz, Switzerland
1952 - Oslo, Norway
1956 - Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy
1960 - Squaw Valley, United States
1964 - Innsbruck, Austria
1968 - Lahti, Finland
1972 - Sapporo, Japan
1976 - Denver, United States
1980 - Kirovsk, Soviet Union
1984 - Gothenburg, Sweden
1988 - Calgary, Canada
1992 - Albertville, France
1994 - Sofia, Bulgaria
1998 - Nagano, Japan
2002 - Salt Lake City, United States
2006 - Zakopane, Poland
2010 - Vancouver, Canada
2014 - Almaty, Kazakhstan
2018 - Munich, Germany
2022 - Pyeongchang, South Korea
2026 - Tallinn, Estonia
2030 - Beijing, China
2034 - Boston, United States
2038 - Auckland-Queenstown, New Zealand
2042 - Santiago, Chile
2048 - Quebec City, Canada
2052 - Erzurum, Turkey
2056 - Jaca, Spain
2060 - Shimla, India
Several of your candidates run into the problem that they have no mountains for the downhill / snowboard competitions anywhere nearby, some of them not even the hills necessary to construct ski jumps. There are e.g. no mountains in all of Estonia, with its highest point being a mere 318 metres above sea level.

This is alternate history, after all, ASB or not. Remember that.