Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
The asteroid Eurydike is one of the countless terrariums that dot the various asteroids belts in the Solar System. It is a hollowed asteroid with a sun rod running the length of the asteroid. It has a surface area of approximately 40,000 km2 (15,444 sq miles) and a total population of 2.1 million. Eurydike, like all terrariums, enjoys a peaceful and mild Mediterranean climate and a consistent average high of 79° F (26° C) and average lows of 52° F (11° C). Snowfall is rare, as are freezing temperatures. Eurydike has a small satellite, Bluejay, which is rich in minerals and is being used as a strip mine. Many mined minerals are shipped across the system to be used in industry, but some remains on Eurydike to be used in factories that are based out of Bluejay.

The population of Eurydike is very decentralized. There are no true cities. Most towns are essentially suburban-like subdivisions linked together into administrative divisions. The towns are very similar to New England towns, being municipal corporations with open town meetings and direct democracy. There are a few built up areas that serve as business centers, with shops, stores and offices for white collar workers. Blue collar workers live on Eurydike and work in the mines or factories of Bluejay. There are a few large, automated farms on the surface, and also additional hydroponic farming within the crust of the asteroid. The asteroid is almost entirely self-sufficient when it comes to food.

Eurydike has natural features. It is dotted with rolling hills, large forests, lakes and rivers. Because of this and its climate, it (and other terrariums) are considered idyllic. Eurydike is a U.S. state, and has several large state parks and recreation areas. It has a small indigenous population of harpies that currently reside in small nature reserves on Eurydike. Politics are split on Eurydike, with the union-backed Democrats and banking-backed Republicans splitting elections frequently. The current governor is Republican Jeremy Hurdle and control of the State Legislature is split. Elections are very competitive between both sides.

NZ2IZUg.png

I find it funny even in Spacefuture we can't have more original names then Assembly/Delegates/House of Representatives for the lower house, and Senate for the upper house. We don't even get any weird mixtures of positions (like how Tennessee's Lt. Gov is elected by the State Senate). Not complaining, just pointing out the unoriginal ideas we had and have for state governments.

I find it funny even in Spacefuture we can't have more original names then Assembly/Delegates/House of Representatives for the lower house, and Senate for the upper house. We don't even get any weird mixtures of positions (like how Tennessee's Lt. Gov is elected by the State Senate). Not complaining, just pointing out the unoriginal ideas we had and have for state governments.

Yeah, American state governments generally get more boring the further west you go, and I don't suppose AJND is changing that.

In the far spacefuture, when people are writing new state constitutions, they just crib the constitutions from old states and use those. So that sort of plagiarism doesn't offer much for originality.

In the far spacefuture, when people are writing new state constitutions, they just crib the constitutions from old states and use those. So that sort of plagiarism doesn't offer much for originality.

And the constitutions of said old states were, of course, cribbed from the federal constitution.

A state/colony on an asteroid? Don't think I've seen that before.

The most recent election from this list. It's in the same universe as the Kissenger and UK infoboxes I posted a while back.

TCyee5e.png

Last edited:

Just to follow up on this somewhat half-heartedly:

2008_PRESBOX.png

2008_SENATEBOX.png

2008_HOUSEBOX.png

How one gets from A to B in politics, don't know. The differences in electoral college vote 1792-2008 do give an interesting view of population shifts though.

It's cool as heck and it inspired my color scheme for the Big Two in Wilson World.

Yes, orange Democrats and blue Republicans is a very nice color scheme.

How one gets from A to B in politics, don't know. The differences in electoral college vote 1792-2008 do give an interesting view of population shifts though.

Interesting, especially with Blair and Brown there.

Thande

Donor

Nice work. I did do one electoral college based (primarily) on the modern ceremonial counties and the 2010 results here, which ended up being hung. (Ignore the regional one in the corner, I wasn't using the right methodology for that one in retrospect). It's curious to see it done with the pre-1974 counties instead, and Honor Blackman as a party leader is inspired, as is the use of Brown's actual first name.

Vexacus

Banned
/SNIPPITY

WHat exactly makes Britain 'Greater'?

Nice work. I did do one electoral college based (primarily) on the modern ceremonial counties and the 2010 results here, which ended up being hung. (Ignore the regional one in the corner, I wasn't using the right methodology for that one in retrospect). It's curious to see it done with the pre-1974 counties instead, and Honor Blackman as a party leader is inspired, as is the use of Brown's actual first name.

As I was plotting this to be 'Britain under American models post-1792' then refusing to alter the county boundaries one inch was necessary.

As for Honor Blackman; if British politics were Americanised, the whole nature would be changed. How could someone like Ronnie Reagan translated to the UK be PM - he couldn't (Gerald Ford almost certainly would, though). The same works vice versa.

I used the Wikishire data; not 100% reliable, but passed a 'sense test'. Using that, used the Huntington-Hill method - as I stated in the 1792 post, American method FTW.

What exactly makes Britain 'Greater'?

Annexing a quarter of the world? Even if in this model Ireland is but another colony/Commonwealth nation, Britain has, to use the motto of the former metropolitan borough I live in, gone From Great Things To Greater.

Callisto is a strange world, and is often called the Dream World. It is almost perpetually autumn. The night skies aren't illuminated by fireflies, but rather by balloon spiders and their bio-luminescence. It is said that the native sylvans have magic, but the learned men and women of science in the state universities and their tweed jackets patched with leather at the elbow will scoff at such claims. "Magic isn't real," they say, "and only humans and tsukagis have ever been rated as higher than Class E on the Tarasyuk scale". It is also said that dark things lurk at the bottom of the moon's oceans, but again, the learned men and women of science in their ivory towers will scoff at you while smoking a pipe. "Fishermen are not reliable. There's a reason tall tales are called big fish stories". Be that as it may, Callisto--and in particular, the U.S. Commonwealth of Valhalla, is a very strange place. There are stories of ghosts and witches in the hollows and glens of the back country, though when you have states named Arkham, Halloween, Ichabod and Sleepy Hollow, you're kind of asking for it. And there's enough natural hallucigenic plants to give even the most hardened Soviet psychedelic rock stars pause.

Politics in Valhalla are different. While the Democrats and Republicans dominate at the federal level, at the commonwealth and state level, things are different. Since the beginning, the Valhalla Assembly has been a unicameral chamber, with each district electing three Assemblymen. However, no political party could nominate more than two candidates in one district. So the two major parties set up "sockpuppet parties", which were, legally, separate political parties, but were really, just extensions of the main party. The Democrats established the Labor Party while the Republicans established the Taxpayers Party. With the restrictions in place, the Democrats would run two Democrats and a Laborite while the Republicans would run two Republicans and one Taxpayer. However, things got weird. The sockpuppet parties slowly became self-aware and separated themselves from their masters, while a series of corruption scandals saw the commonwelath-level Democrats and Republicans decimated.

The Democratic and Republican Parties do not exist at the commonwealth or state level on Valhalla. Instead, there are five major political parties that take their place. The Labor Party is backed by the blue-collar labor unions like the AFL-CIO. The Main Street Party is supported by financial and banking interests, along with white collar professionals. The Taxpayers Party has since been taken over by neo-Jeffersonian libertarians-agrarians and Democrats. The Christian Values is a social conservative, right-wing populist party. And the Rainbow Alliance is a coalition of ethnic, racial and religious minorities. The Premier of Valhalla is elected through an electoral college, with a state's electoral votes being divided proportionally, but with the overall state-wide winner being elected 6 additional EV. If no candidate gains a majority of electoral votes, a second round is held. The Labor, Main Street and Taxpayers are the three largest parties, with the three of them alternating as the top two parties.

n7w6t1O.png

Last edited:
It says first round for both voting percentages.

EDIT: Better now, I like the Nordic state naming theme, and the strange overthrow of the Democrats and Republicans. Just curious, why does only Taxpayers say eliminated and not Christian Values and Rainbow?

Last edited:
Is there any step by step guides on creating the Infoboxes with pictures in plain albeit dumb English? I would love to try to create some but not to sure where to start (I'm guessing by making a wiki account so I can upload pictures etc)

It says first round for both voting percentages.

EDIT: Better now, I like the Nordic state naming theme, and the strange overthrow of the Democrats and Republicans. Just curious, why does only Taxpayers say eliminated and not Christian Values and Rainbow?

Geological features on Callisto in OTL are named after features from Nordic mythology as it is. It only says that because I wanted to keep the rows even. I proably wouldn't have included that on the Taxpayers' line but it made things look funky.

Status
Not open for further replies.