Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well IRL the Liberals pretty much dominated the west (except for Alberta, no surprise) up until Diefenbaker came along, and Sinclair is the third out of the four most recent National Liberal leaders coming from the west, so their still doing well there at the moment.

Seems you're right. I suppose it was the dream team of Diefenbaker, Douglas and Trudeau that destroyed the Liberals out west.

After hearing about his fathers execution, Ptolemy II of Mauretania rebels against Roman empire.

Emperor Caligula chooses to lead Roman legions to battle himself,
their armies clash near city of Carthage.

2G8Vzb9.png

A Minor Meighen Majority

Here's 1965:

Howard Charles Green's mjority government initially proved uncontroversial, and relatively popular at that. For the first few years there was no real controversy to bring the popularity down, and were slowly aligning with the Union Nationale in Quebec, which made it seem like they could make real inroads in the province, and possibly win another majority government.

All this changed, though, following two events. The first was the defeat of the Union Nationale by Gerard Cournoyer's Liberals. More importantly, however, was the request by the American government to deploy nuclear missiles in Canada. While the National Liberals were more or less in favor, the issue split the Conservatives in two, with half (including Green) opposed and the other half in favor. Ultimately, this was the issue that would shape the 1965 campaign. While the National Liberals, whose leader James Sinclair had slowly managed to improve his performance as leader of the opposition, were united, the Conservatives were divided, and failed to get their supporters to the polls. While it looked like the National Liberals could win a majority government, thanks to strong support out west and in Quebec, the Conservatives proved to tough to beat in Ontario, keeping the National Liberals at a minority.

1965.png

A Minor Meighen Majority
Canadian Federal Election 1925

Canadian Federal Election 1929

Canadian Federal Election 1933
Canadian Federal Election 1937
Canadian Federal Election 1940
Canadian Federal Election 1945
Canadian Federal Election 1950
Canadian Federal Election 1955
Canadian Federal Election 1957
Canadian Federal Election 1958
Canadian Federal Election 1961

1965.png

Alright, here is a wikibox dump that came from a future tl I planned in 2012, with the assumption that Romney would win with Marco Rubio as his running mate. I also assumed that Julia Gillard would remain Prime Minister of Australia until the 2013 election.

I realize that there are some errors in some of the boxes. The perspective of these boxes is in the mid-21st century.

tlarw_001.png

I'm starting another "US with another country's party system" series. This time with the UK. The results won't be as worked out as the "US as Canada" series (at least initially), but by 2012 a methodology should definitely appear.

Also, expect quite a bit of OTL UK results to be mirrored in the series.

The Red, Green, and Blue

Following the 1924 election, a political earthquake occurred. Members of the increasingly liberal Democrats, incensed at having the conservative John W. Davis for their nominee and disgruntled by southern domination of the party, began switching to the Progressive Party in droves. The party, which otherwise might have suffered the fate of so many third parties in American history, found itself invigorated to an extent never before seen and in 1926 the shocked establishment watched as the Progressives became the dominant opposition party outside of the south.

President Coolidge was briefly tempted to run again in 1928, but in the end decided not to and Commerce Secretary Herbert Hoover won the GOP nomination. The Progressive chose Burton K. Wheeler, a senator from Montana as their standard-bearer, while the Democrats, still shocked at the rapid change in the party that had occurred since 1924, nominated their top candidate: New York Governor Al Smith.

Smith's Catholicism turned off a lot of Americans, who still harbored anti-Catholic prejudice. The contest, which had formerly been seen as a GOP cakewalk, turned into a fierce competition between Hoover and Wheeler. In the end, vote-splitting between the Democrats and Progressives enabled Hoover a comfortable electoral college victory, while Smith forebodingly won only states in the Deep South.

ukus1928.png

ukus1928.png

States' rights -> classical liberalism -> liberalism ?

In my vague plans of things by the 2000s, the Democrats won't be liberals (in the European sense), but mushy centrists.

Like I said with my previous series, there isn't going to be a 1-on-1 parallel because of the differences in American politics and attitudes with that of the nation I'm lifting the system from.

In my vague plans of things by the 2000s, the Democrats won't be liberals (in the European sense), but mushy centrists.

Like I said with my previous series, there isn't going to be a 1-on-1 parallel because of the differences in American politics and attitudes with that of the nation I'm lifting the system from.

You could go with centrist libertarianism? Mushy and able to be interpreted in wildly different ways.

You could go with centrist libertarianism? Mushy and able to be interpreted in wildly different ways.

Centrist libertarianism is an oxymoron.

Like I said, things will be different. With a 1924-5 POD, I can't make a copy of the UK political system in America with a social democratic party, European liberal party and a conservative one. Social democracy by the POD has had its window to political viability in America almost completely closed,and as such, adjustments have to be made to get the desired political dynamic (i.e.- the one the UK has with a 2.5 party system with regional parties popping up in the 1960s onwards).

Red, Green, and Blue

The collapse of the stock market and ensuing Great Depression saw both the United States and the world plunged into economic misery. President Hoover's policy of self-sufficiency failed drastically as the economy continued to remain in horrific straits, with millions of Americans out of work and hungry.

The Progressives, taking no chances, nominated New York Governor Franklin Roosevelt, cousin to former president Theodore (who started the original Progressives in 1912). Roosevelt campaigned on the need for a "New Deal" with the American people, including massive government programs to kick-start the dormant economy. The Democrats, with large amounts of their southern base backing Roosevelt, nominated Smith again.

As was expected, the result was a landslide victory for Roosevelt. Democratic lock over the Solid South ensured that Smith came in second in the electoral college, with President Hoover in a humiliating third place. A new era of American politics was about to begin.

ukus1932.png

Red, Green, and Blue
United States presidential election, 1928

ukus1932.png

Last edited:
Red, Green, and Blue

President Roosevelt's New Deal began the long process of reviving the American economy. The president's "fireside chats" radio addresses made Roosevelt enormously popular with the downtrodden Americans who felt that the president was truly fighting on their behalf to fight the Depression.

The Republicans nominated Kansas Governor Alf Landon, but everyone already knew that he was a sacrificial lamb to the popular Roosevelt. The Democrats' leader in the House, John N. Garner, won the support of quite a few southerners who were concerned about the New Deal's spending and the increase in taxation that accompanied it (a message similar to the Republicans', but the "Republican" brand remained politically poisonous in the south).

Like 1932, Roosevelt won a crushing victory. The Democrats' concentration in the south left the Republicans in another humiliating third place in the electoral college.

ukus1936.png

Red, Green, and Blue
United States presidential election, 1928
United States presidential election, 1932

ukus1936.png

Last edited:
USASB - Chapter 3

The first four of the Thatcher government were troubled. Began as lame-duck president who fought the government until 1983. In April this year, the government attacked the Falkland Islands, which were under U.S. control since 1975. Argentine President Leopoldo Galtieri planned the attack since January and said " If Vietnam beated the americans, we can too." The attack was a failure and the President Thatcher sent 6.000 men to protect the island. With its popularity it reached 88% and boosted his reelection next year. On the Democratic side, the party was divided after the withdrawal of Pierre Trudeau's presidential candidacy in October 1983. Competed the primaries governors Micheal Dukakis (Massachusetts), Mario Cuomo (New York) and Felipe González (Spain). Also disputed the senators Aníbal Cavaco Silva (Portugal), Lloyd Bentsen (Texas) and the nomination Ted Kennedy. The Reform Party, founded in December 1982, appointed Congressman John B. Anderson and fellow Congressman Paddy Ashdown as candidates for president and vice president of the United States. Contrary to what was expected, JBA was beyond the 20% achieved in 1980 and reached 25% in 1984, being decisive for the government to obtain a majority in the House and Senate. Thatcher was re-elected and with reelection, Mexico, Norway and Sweden decided to join the United States in November 1984 and was incorporated on January 20, 1985.

rhiqog.jpg

xc24d3.jpg

1hcshs.jpg

Last edited:
Shiloh Pearle Ridley (b. June 24, 2106) is an American who detonated an anti-matter explosive device (AMED) in Tarsus, Yellowstone, Hyperborea, on February 20, 2134. Commonly referred to as the 2/20 Tarsus bombing, the attacked killed over 250,000 and wounded over 1,000 more. According to the United States Government, it was the deadliest of terrorism within the United States, and also one of the single greatest losses of life in a single moment in history.

Ridley was an FBI Special Agent, and her motivation for the 2/20 bombing remains unknown despite extensive FBI and DHS investigation. She was tried in abstentia in late 2134 and she was sentence to death. The Department of Homeland Security has placed a $250 million bounty on her head. She is also wanted in connection with the kidnapping and subsequent sexual assault of 19 year old Hope Bolden, a special needs adult with autism. It is believed that she has connections with Nero and the Black Sun criminal syndicate. Her current whereabouts are unknown, and she is the top fugitive on the FBI's Most Wanted List.

sqqCArh.png

Status
Not open for further replies.