Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
How will you handle the rise of Social Credit and of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation?
Social Credit - I can't decide whether to have a Social Credit movement in the US, or try and find/create an American alternative ideology.
Co-operative Commonwealth and the New Democratic Party will have different names, but various left-wing equivalents will exist.

Social Credit - I can't decide whether to have a Social Credit movement in the US, or try and find/create an American alternative ideology.
Co-operative Commonwealth and the New Democratic Party will have different names, but various left-wing equivalents will exist.
The Farmers' Holiday movement could be a good start, maybe.

Wasn't the Social Credit Party supposed to be libertarian?

President Bradley - Part III

Colin 2008.PNG

Canadamerica: 1880

President Tilden would forever go down in history as the man who ended Reconstruction. Although this action earned him the hatred of black voters and the more Radical Republicans, the majority of the populace supported Reconstruction's end and was happy that it was over. White Democratic Redeemer governments took control of the Southern US, and firmly established white Democratic rule there. Tilden also was a noted government reformer, successfully purging the federal government of much of the corruption which the Grant Administration was so infamous for. Tilden's legacy in future generations would be two-fold: on one hand, the Great Reformer, on the other hand, the man who allowed the rise of Jim Crow. However, in the short term, most voters did not care about the racial situation in the South, or the corruption in the government. They cared about the economy, and that is where Tilden failed. Unable to end an economic Depression that lasted most of his presidency, Tilden saw his support collapse as the Republicans surged in the mid-terms. Meanwhile, Tilden's cabinet appointments, as well as the Democratic committee leaders, both contained many former Confederates, earning the ire of northern veterans. Grant, having been cleared of any connections to the scandals his subordinates had been engaged in, managed to win the Republican nomination, and won the general election on a promise to restore the economy and minimize the power of former rebels.

Canadamerica1880.png

Canadamerica:

Canadamerica1880.png

Red, Green, and Blue

The first Republican president since 1997, President Kasich attempted initially to both keep taxes low for business and focus on reducing the nation's debt, but soon realized it was impossible. The president then shifted to focusing on deficit reduction as his cornerstone policy shortly before the 2010 midterms.

Despite his own best efforts, Kasich was unable to help the Republicans keep their control over the Senate and their plurality in the House, largely because hardcore conservatives in both chambers immediately began speaking of cuts to all federal assistance programs. Voters quickly latched on to the opposition parties and the Progressives won control over the House while the Senate resulted in the three parties having roughly the same amount of seats, but the Democrats sided with the Republicans and thus a split legislature resulted.

Kasich's debt-reduction policies were tempered by Progressive dominance of the House, but they soon proved to be very controversial with the electorate itself, with Republicans applauding the "tough choices" the government was making while the Progressives deploring what they saw as balancing the checkbook by cutting funding to the most needy and Democrats shifting between the two perspectives.

In 2012, the Progressives picked longtime Delaware Senator Joe Biden, the best of the group who chose to stand against the well-liked Kasich. Biden was as folksy and down-to-earth as Kasich was, and he chose Arkansas Governor Blanche Lincoln as his running mate, cementing the ticket's moderate credentials.

The Democrats reached back and picked former Louisiana Governor Buddy Roemer, who came out of a long political retirement to contest the election. Roemer selected retiring Indiana Senator Evan Bayh, a former Progressive, as his running mate, which saw Bayh kicked out of the Progressive caucus by the furious Progressive leadership in the chamber.

Kasich, despite his controversial debt reduction plan, dubbed "Kasichonomics" by opponents, proved to have one thing Biden didn't have: self-control. Biden made numerous gaffes during the campaign because of his free-speaking nature and he began slipping in more and more polls as both the Republican and Democratic campaigns hammered home the talking point that Biden was "un-presidential" and would not be suited for the office of the presidency.

Kasich won a second term, but with only 39% of the vote. The Democrats had a surprisingly strong performance, pulling in their highest percent of the vote since 1988 and strangely won the solidly red state of Massachusetts after Biden was reported to have denigrated popular former Senator Robert Kennedy, who had recently passed as a "ruthless bastard" behind closed doors shortly after his death in 2008.

ukus2012.png

Red, Green, and Blue
United States presidential election, 1928
United States presidential election, 1932
United States presidential election, 1936
United States presidential election, 1940
United States presidential election, 1944
United States presidential election, 1948
United States presidential election, 1952
United States presidential election, 1956
United States presidential election, 1960
United States presidential election, 1964
United States presidential election, 1968
United States presidential election, 1972
United States presidential election, 1976
United States presidential election, 1980
United States presidential election, 1984
United States presidential election, 1988
United States presidential election, 1992
United States presidential election, 1996
United States presidential election, 2000
United States presidential election, 2004
United States presidential election, 2008

ukus2012.png

I'm surprised you didn't make Roemer President again (bonus points if anyone knows what I'm talking about :p).

Also Emperor Julian, loving the Canamerica TL. :cool: Grant is cool and totally deserves 6 terms.

I'm not really getting the analogue in 2012 here, I think if you want a Milliband analogue, you should try Julian Castro (Though he only came into my head because he has a brother). And I don't get Roemer as Clegg either.

I'm not really getting the analogue in 2012 here, I think if you want a Milliband analogue, you should try Julian Castro (Though he only came into my head because he has a brother). And I don't get Roemer as Clegg either.

I don't think it's meant to be a straight set of analogues. That said, Julian and Joaquin Castro would be perfect for the Milibands. I can just imagine all the joke of a set of identical twins fighting it out for the White House...

I'm surprised you didn't make Roemer President again (bonus points if anyone knows what I'm talking about :p).

It wasn't in the cards in this series. :D

I don't think it's meant to be a straight set of analogues. That said, Julian and Joaquin Castro would be perfect for the Milibands. I can just imagine all the joke of a set of identical twins fighting it out for the White House...

Daltonia's right, it's not a straight set of analogs. Roemer was more of just using an actual moderate, electorally viable politician instead of trying to get a Clegg analog. I might have to use one of the Castro twins for 2016, though...

Also, 2012 wasn't the 2015(?) analog. I actually used the 2010 UK results for 2012, and used UK polling from around the time of the OTL US election to get the 2008 results.

Ford avoids his Soviet domination gaffe in the second debate. On election day the President edges out Carter to win the 1976 Presidential Election in what Presidential historians would later call "The Comeback of the Century." Despite his victory in the electoral college, Ford still loses the popular vote by a decisive margin, sparking a bipartisan initiative to begin the abolition of the electoral college.

76FordVictory.png

Status
Not open for further replies.