Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vexacus

Banned
Judging from your last few infoboxes it looks as though you stretch them out horizontally instead of cropping them. I don't mean to insult you, but it makes the whole thing look very unprofessional.
I have no choice but to shrink them down as 99.99% of the pictures I use are way WAY to big to be used

Vexacus, you should try cropping them to the approximate shape/ratio of the picture you're pasting over before re-sizing them to avoid distortions.

Also, it seems that in some of your most recent ones, the information fields in the infobox change indentations.

Judging from your last few infoboxes it looks as though you stretch them out horizontally instead of cropping them. I don't mean to insult you, but it makes the whole thing look very unprofessional.

If someone could pay me to make infoboxes instead of having to look for another real job, I'd be so happy...

I have no choice but to shrink them down as 99.99% of the pictures I use are way WAY to big to be used

I'm not sure we understand each other. My issue isn't with the shrinking, it's with the fact that the images look to be about twice as wide (in terms of proportions, not pixels) than they were before you shrunk them. Might I ask what program you're using? Generally, if you hold down shift while moving the cursor you can retain the same proportions while simply changing the size of the pictures.

Vexacus

Banned
Vexacus, you should try cropping them to the approximate shape/ratio of the picture you're pasting over before re-sizing them to avoid distortions.

Also, it seems that in some of your most recent ones, the information fields in the infobox change indentations.

If someone could pay me to make infoboxes instead of having to look for another real job, I'd be so happy...
How can I crop a picture that covers the infobox 10 times over before I shrink it down?

Next up, 2008:

Though Paul Martin had won re-election with another minority government, he would announce his resignation as Prime Minister and Liberal leader just weeks into his second term, citing a poor working relationship with the NDP and an inability to pass legislation. Martin chose to resign as PM instead of risk the NDP forming a governing agreement with the Conservatives, which would force the Liberals out of power. To replace him, the Liberals chose Minister of the Environment Stephane Dion in an upset victory over fellow cabinet minister Michael Ignatieff and former Ontario Premier Bob Rae.

Dion initially managed to govern rather smoothly, and worked well with the NDP for most of his first year in office. However, following several gaffes and the release of Conservative ads accusing him of not being a leader, Dion's popularity dropped substansially and his working relationship with the NDP suffered, as the party didn't want to seem associated with Dion's struggling government. However, the NDP was unable to pull the plug on the government until it became clear in the summer of 2008 that the NDP and the Conservatives would pull the plug on the government as soon as they got the chance. Under these circumstances and sensing the inevitable, Stephane Dion pulled the plug himself, sending Canadians to the polls in October 2008.

2008.png

The Liberals, Conservatives, and NDP each saw their share of the vote decrease by a sizable portion as the Green Party of Canada made an impressive breakthrough into the House of Commons, winning 35 seats. Most of these seats came from the Conservatives, who lost 31, and the Liberals, who lost 7. The NDP, meanwhile, managed to gain a handful of seats, but not enough to kick the Liberals out of power, giving Stephane Dion a weak minority government.

Canada: Equal Percentage, Every Party
Canadian Federal Election 1993

Canadian Federal Election 1997
Canadian Federal Election 2000
Canadian Federal Election 2004
Canadian Federal Election 2006

2008.png

And finally in this thought experiment, 2011:

While Stephane Dion's Liberals had won fewer seats in 2008 than they had in 2006, they had, in a way, come out of the election in better shape. The Conservatives, their primary opposition, were in a far weaker position, while the Liberals were able to rely on the weak but large Green caucus for support on most of their important legislation, giving the Liberals a strong minority even without the NDP.

However, Dion himself was soon forced out as Liberal leader, with party members rebelling against his weak leadership and his initial attempt after the election to form a Liberal-NDP-Green coalition. The party soon chose chose Deputy Prime Minister Michael Ignatieff as their new leader, and therefore the next Prime Minister of Canada.

Ignatieff's government was initially popular, but Conservative attack ads soon caused his government to decrease in support. Despite this, the government managed to soldier on until the spring of 2011, when its budget was defeated by the Conservatives and NDP, triggering an election.

2011.png

The NDP, which ran on a message of hope and change, and was able to successfully distance itself from the unpopularity of Ignatieff's government, was able to win an incredibly narrow minority government of 97 seats, only 5 more than the Liberals, who saw themselves forced to the opposition benches for the first time in 11 years. The Conservatives came just one seat behind the Liberals, narrowly missing out on forming the official opposition, while the Greens saw their seat count fall, largely as the result of their association with Ignatieff's Liberals.

Layton himself would pass away just a few months after the election. Layton was succeeded on a temporary basis by Quebec MP Nycole Turmel, until the election of his successor, cabinet minister Thomas Mulcair.

List of Prime Ministers:
Jean Chretien (Liberal) 1993-1997
Jean Charest (Progressive Conservative) 1997-1998
Elsie Wayne (Progressive Conservative) 1998
Joe Clark (Progressive Conservative) 1998-2000

Jean Chretien (Liberal) 2000-2003
Paul Martin (Liberal) 2003-2006
Stephane Dion (Liberal) 2006-2009
Michael Ignatieff (Liberal) 2009-2011

Jack Layton (New Democratic) 2011
Nycole Turmel (New Democratic) 2011-2012
Thomas Mulcair (New Democratic) 2012-present

...And that's it. Surprising results, honestly. Most notable takeaways? The Conservative vote isn't as efficient as its made out to be, and that it would take a huge amount of support for the Greens to even win official party status.

Canada: Equal Percentage, Every Party
Canadian Federal Election 1993

Canadian Federal Election 1997
Canadian Federal Election 2000
Canadian Federal Election 2004
Canadian Federal Election 2006
Canadian Federal Election 2008

2011.png

Red, Green, and Blue

By 1970, more and more American soldiers were leaving Indochina each month, and the urban and college riots started becoming less and less frequent. This strategy was enormously popular, as a majority of Americans had become tired of the war and the carnage they saw every night on television. The president's domestic policy, however, divided the nation. The president, citing his platform, allocated increasingly large amounts of the budget for states to use for policing and got Congress to enact drug laws some would call draconian. Then, with the Progressives firmly in control of Congress, he made quick use of his majorities and established several new federal departments (including Education, Health and Welfare, Housing & Infrastructure, Veteran's Affairs), passed near-universal health care that covered all but the wealthiest Americans and enacted the strongest civil rights laws in American history meant to benefit African-Americans, Hispanics and other disadvantaged minorities.

The Republicans chose Michigan Governor George Romney as their challenger, making him the first Mormon nominee for president. Romney, a moderate who while popular with the electorate, was mistrusted by the increasingly strong conservative base within the party, so he picked young Illinois Congressman Donald Rumsfeld, a strong conservative hawk, as his vice-presidential nominee.

Rockefeller's civil rights laws had not been unnoticed by the south and the Democrats quickly pounced, nominating a ticket of Florida Senator George Smathers and Arkansas Senator Wilbur Mills, quickly lambasted "high-handed Washington changes" and campaigned on economic populist issues to challenge Rockefeller's top-down approach.

The election proved very close and, the Rockefeller and Romney campaigns grew increasingly desperate in to attempt to break Smathers' lock over most of the south, who were put off by the two vocally integrationist northerners. As the results came in, it became clear that both campaigns had failed. Hopes for a clear victory soon evaporate as Rockefeller and Romney remained close the entire night. By the end of election night 1972, it became clear that, for the first time since 1824, the Electoral College had deadlocked.

A month of furious closed door negotiations took place before the Electoral College formally counted the votes in December 1972. No electors had switched and so it wasn't until the first days of January 1973 that Americans had any idea as to who their Congress thought should be president. The Progressives had retained a slim majority in the House but lost their majority in the Senate.

The first couple of House ballots saw Rockefeller out slightly in front of Romney, with Smathers only getting four Deep South delegations and the rest tied. The Senate, with only two candidates to choose from, saw the Democrats pick Rumsfeld over the very liberal Vice President Hughes almost to a man, giving the Republicans the vice-presidency. This spurred an increased effort by the Progressives, flipping a couple locked delegations, but not enough to give Rockefeller a second term. Smathers and the Democrats, with Inauguration Day looming and not wanting Rumsfeld to become acting president until a winner was decided, agreed to switch their support to either of the other two candidates. The final ballot saw Rockefeller win a majority and another term just three days before Inauguration Day.

ukus1972.png

Red, Green, and Blue
United States presidential election, 1928
United States presidential election, 1932
United States presidential election, 1936
United States presidential election, 1940
United States presidential election, 1944
United States presidential election, 1948
United States presidential election, 1952
United States presidential election, 1956
United States presidential election, 1960
United States presidential election, 1964
United States presidential election, 1968

ukus1972.png

Last edited:

Vexacus

Banned
Here's the first in my re-uploaded and improved InfoBoxes. I know this was up'd a few posts back, but I decided to repost it here as I've made a few minor changes as I've had to adjust some of the text and realign the colour box slightly:

A few infoboxes from my Kolyma's Shadow TL, where the US launches the world's first satellite in 1958, whilst the Soviets only send thiers up in 1959. First, some rather minor effects on the 1958 mid-term elections.

14355287609_5b30148068_o.png

14538501851_4e926cd79b_o.png

Slightly more impact felt in the 1960 Presidential election:

14490277422_2f99bf26db_o.png

Status
Not open for further replies.