Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VI (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A collage of all TL-191 US Presidential Elections which occur in the novels
Wiki_Collage_USA.png
Part 2
Wiki_Collage_CSA.png

1884_USA.png

Last edited:
Oooh. I use my phone mostly (or all the time) so that's why it looked weird on my end.
I edited in any case so that phone user may see it.
Though, as usual, it said the file was too large, so I had to decrease its size, and trying to stretch the pic makes it look grany, something I really dislike. How do people manage to post high res images here? I swear it feels like it can take only lower resolution images every time I try and post.

I edited in any case so that phone user may see it.
Though, as usual, it said the file was too large, so I had to decrease its size, and trying to stretch the pic makes it look grany, something I really dislike. How do people manage to post high res images here? I swear it feels like it can take only lower resolution images every time I try and post.
Well if it's any consolation I think they look great!

The Cabinet of Prime Minister Schuyler Colfax (Yes, I changed the name of Secretary of State to Secretary of Foreign Affairs, because if we're amending the Constitution to the point of enacting a parliamentary system, might as well change the Cabinet position whose name I hate):
Screenshot 2022-09-08 1259542.png

Following his party's victory in the 1869 United States federal election, Prime Minister Schuyler Colfax constructed a Cabinet with which to govern. There were two Colfax Cabinets, the first and the second. The first was composed of Deputy Prime Minister Lyman Trumbull, Secretary of Foreign Affairs Hamilton Fish, Secretary of the Treasury George Boutwell, Secretary of War James A. Garfield, Attorney General Roscoe Conkling, Postmaster General James G. Blaine, and Secretary of the Interior Zachariah Chandler. The second was inaugurated following a Cabinet reshuffle in mid-1872, instigated by Foreign Secretary Fish's resignation due to health issues; Boutwell, with whose performance Colfax was dissatisfied, was also dismissed from the Cabinet. Postmaster General Blaine and War Secretary Garfield replaced Fish and Boutwell in the Foreign and Treasury departments, respectively, while Alexander Ramsey was elevated to replace Blaine in the Post Office and Henry Wilson replaced Garfield in the War Department. Attorney General Roscoe Conkling and Interior Secretary Zachariah Chandler maintained their posts in both Cabinet. Deputy Prime Minister Trumbull maintained his post in the initial Cabinet reshuffle, but left in early 1874 to join the Liberal Republican Party, having initially been put in Cabinet to appease moderate Republicans. Since by Trumbull's leave the next election was only two months away, the position of Deputy Prime Minister remained empty until the next Parliament.

The Cabinet of Prime Minister Schuyler Colfax (Yes, I changed the name of Secretary of State to Secretary of Foreign Affairs, because if we're amending the Constitution to the point of enacting a parliamentary system, might as well change the Cabinet position whose name I hate):
View attachment 772869
Following his party's victory in the 1869 United States federal election, Prime Minister Schuyler Colfax constructed a Cabinet with which to govern. There were two Colfax Cabinets, the first and the second. The first was composed of Deputy Prime Minister Lyman Trumbull, Secretary of Foreign Affairs Hamilton Fish, Secretary of the Treasury George Boutwell, Secretary of War James A. Garfield, Attorney General Roscoe Conkling, Postmaster General James G. Blaine, and Secretary of the Interior Zachariah Chandler. The second was inaugurated following a Cabinet reshuffle in mid-1872, instigated by Foreign Secretary Fish's resignation due to health issues; Boutwell, with whose performance Colfax was dissatisfied, was also dismissed from the Cabinet. Postmaster General Blaine and War Secretary Garfield replaced Fish and Boutwell in the Foreign and Treasury departments, respectively, while Alexander Ramsey was elevated to replace Blaine in the Post Office and Henry Wilson replaced Garfield in the War Department. Attorney General Roscoe Conkling and Interior Secretary Zachariah Chandler maintained their posts in both Cabinet. Deputy Prime Minister Trumbull maintained his post in the initial Cabinet reshuffle, but left in early 1874 to join the Liberal Republican Party, having initially been put in Cabinet to appease moderate Republicans. Since by Trumbull's leave the next election was only two months away, the position of Deputy Prime Minister remained empty until the next Parliament.
I'm not really a fan of Colfax since he was very corrupt but may I ask what happened to Benjamin Wade here, who would've become Acting President in the event of Andrew Johnson's successful Impeachment and removal from office in May 1868?

I'm not really a fan of Colfax since he was very corrupt but may I ask what happened to Benjamin Wade here, who would've become Acting President in the event of Andrew Johnson's successful Impeachment and removal from office in May 1868?
I'll admit the PoD of how specifically TTL's 16th Amendment is passed is quite unclear for myself (hell, I'm unfamiliar enough with the US Constitution to wonder if an entirely new constitution may be necessary to enact parliamentarism), but in any case I doubt Andrew Johnson's impeachment would be very relevant. This Colfax Cabinet is after he became Prime Minister via an election in 1869, and Johnson's impeachment, if it happened at all, probably still failed, so no Wade presidency. And I don't think anyone would particularly want him in any Cabinet, so...
I have post in the previous page describing the 1869 election:
the first parliamentary election:
This is the preceding post. As for why Colfax is PM, well, he managed to be elected as Speaker by House Republicans IOTL, so why not PM? His corruption wasn't widely known until the early 1870's. Speaking of which...

Here's the 1874 election (and the map somehow looks even worse this time):
Screenshot 2022-09-08 080854.png

States in blue elected a majority or plurality of Democratic MPs, states in yellow elected a majority or plurality of Republican MPs, and states in purple elected an equal amount of MPs for each of the two major parties.
The 1874 United States federal election was held on April 19, 1874. It was the second election held under a parliamentary system, after the first in 1869, which had seen Schuyler Colfax lead the Republican Party to a landslide victory. In the succeeding parliamentary term, Colfax enacted a more active Reconstruction, among other policies.

However, as the 1874 election approached, several things happened to hurt the Republicans. Reconstruction became increasingly unpopular during Colfax's term, and a recession hit due to the Panic of 1873, making the party rather unpopular. The Republican were also hurt by the Credit Mobilier scandal in 1873, which implicated several Republicans, including Secretary of War Henry Wilson and Foreign Secretary James Blaine, as well as Prime Minister Colfax himself, in a bribery scheme. The death knell came thanks to the Liberal Republican Party, founded by moderate Republican Horace Greeley. Though Greeley himself would not live to the election and the Liberal Republicans were led by former Republican John M. Palmer of Illinois, the Liberal Republicans, while only attracting a few votes, represented a minor split in the GOP. The Democrats, meanwhile, unified behind the leadership of Samuel J. Tilden, who replaced Thomas Hendricks in 1872.

Despite all this, it was a close race; the Democrats took 315 seats and the Republicans 310, while the Liberal Republicans won 25 seats and the balance of power. The Republicans, in fact, narrowly won the popular vote, though only by 15,000 votes. Despite an attempt by Colfax to cooperate with the Liberal Republicans in a coalition government and the ideological differences between the Democrats and the Liberal Republicans, Palmer and the Liberal Republicans gave the Democrats their support due to their hatred of Colfax's corruption, and the Democratic-Liberal Republican coalition elected Tilden the new prime minister. Colfax, defeated, resigned as Republican leader in late 1874 and, after a contentious selection process, was replaced in March of 1875.

I'm assuming that Custer lived longer....
Yes, he isn't deployed to fight in the Indian Wars, I'm thinking that ITTL he gets injured during the Civil War or something shortly after, therefore able to stay at home and have kids, again, it'll be an ASB I think, so as they say, the possibilities are endless.

Status
Not open for further replies.