Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VI (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcharles

Banned
Some wikiboxes I put together for The Kennedy Curse: WI JFK Jr had lived?

“Ronald Reagan’s 11th Commandment was ‘do not speak ill of another Republican,’ and I’m not about to break it here this morning. But I’ll say this much: a lot of mud was flying through the air in Iowa, and John’s got an ironclad alibi--he was here in New Hampshire, talking to you folks at town halls all over the state. If you think you’re going to get straight talk from any of the other candidates in this race, get real. John is the only candidate with a chance to win who can restore honor and integrity to the White House.”
-----Steve Forbes, Jan 29th, 2000.

2000 New Hampshire Republican Primary.png

“I think we finally have a poll without a margin of error…”
-----John McCain, Feb 1st, 2000.

“Koppel: John McCain has won the New Hampshire primary in a landslide. Nearly sixty percent of the vote, Peter, that’s better than two to one over Governor Bush. Has McCain destroyed Bush’s air of inevitability? Is there a new front-runner in town?

Jennings: Well, Ted, McCain has certainly made a statement here tonight, and his brand of retail politics is certainly very popular with Republicans here in New Hampshire. But Governor Bush does have substantial advantages in fundraising and endorsements. The question is, can McCain translate his retail appeal to South Carolina, a much larger state with a very different culture?”

-----Nightline, Feb 1st, 2000.

2000 Delaware Republican Presidential Primary.PNG

“Schieffer: Mr. Rove, this past Tuesday we had a shockingly close result in Delaware, a state where John McCain hardly campaigned at all. There, we’ve got the graphic up on the screen. Exactly one-hundred and fifty votes, Mr. Rove. Some of our sources in the Republican Party are saying that people associated with the Bush campaign are starting to look for the emergency exits.

Rove: A win is a win, Bob. We won in Iowa, we won in Delaware, and we’re going to win this nomination. We’ve always known that McCain was strong in some of the smaller, more liberal states. That’s not what the rest of the map looks like.”

-----Bob Schieffer and Karl Rove, on Face the Nation, February 13th, 2000.

“While Rove denies any connection to the infamous push-polls or “Negro child” flyers that came to dominate coverage of the South Carolina primary, even he admits that South Carolina was a turning point. ‘New Hampshire was bad,’ said Rove. ‘We knew John would do well...for our part, we were expecting mid-to-high thirties, maybe even low forties. The Forbes endorsement killed any hope of that. Twenty-eight percent? Worst loss of George’s career. He was pretty despondent. It was clear that the gentleman’s agreement between him and John had to go.’”

----- The Dangers of Faction: Election 2000 and the End of the Sixth Party System, by Douglas Brinkley, 2008.

“I’ve gotta give you some background on this one. So, we’re talking early 2000. I’m working over at ABC, and me and Juju Chang are anchoring World News Now, the overnight news broadcast. And I’m also working at 20/20 during the day. So I’m sleeping in like, three hour blocks, tired all the time. It was grueling shit.

Probably why I went gray so early.

Anyway, that specific night--the night of the debate--I had been up for twenty-nine hours or something. I was practically hallucinating, I was so tired, and during one of the breaks, I noticed this fax. It’s the flyer. The fucking “McCain has a Negro love child flyer.”

We get in touch with the correspondent who sent the fax. Apparently, during the debate, while Bush was inside talking about “restoring honor and dignity to the White House” and acting offended about some negative spot that McCain had run, his goons--his supporters at least--were outside in the parking lot putting these racist flyers on people’s windshields.

Especially back then, you wanted to avoid bringing up another network unless you really needed to--using their footage, anything like that. So from our standpoint, it was perfect. That debate had been on CNN, Larry King moderating, and it was a snoozefest. I mean, if you knew what to look for, you could tell that McCain and Bush hated each other, but they were keeping it under control. With the flyer, we get to talk about the debate without blowing up CNN.

So do we run the flyer?

Of course we do. Let’s put it this way.

It’s 1:30 in the morning, you’ve got two anchors who are tired and bored. One of your anchors is a gay guy, one is a Korean-American woman. Of course, we’re trying to be objective, but we’re human beings. We’re covering a candidate who is talking about compassionate conservatism, but at the same time is trying to profit from all these really old, ugly forces in American society. Homophobia, racism, all that. And it’s in the public interest to show that.

So I sign off at 3:30, catch a couple of hours of sleep, and at 6 am, I’m on the phone to Lindsey Graham to see if he wants to comment. Graham was a McCain surrogate, a South Carolinian, and an early riser. He says he’s willing to comment, but he wants to do it on GMA. Well unbeknownst to me, Juju, who was on the air all night, had continued to reference the story, and Antonio Mora, who was the newsreader for GMA, had already decided to put the flyer story in the morning news update. So by the time I talk to Shelly, the EP over at GMA, they’re already primed and looking for commentary.

It just fell into place after that. Graham went on GMA on Wednesday morning, and the vote was that Saturday. It was the last big story before the primary. Did it affect the outcome in South Carolina? Maybe. But it sure as hell didn't make Bush look good in Washington, Michigan, or Arizona.”

-----Anderson Cooper, 2017, in Burned: the Rise, Fall, and Undeath of the Reform Party, by Matt Taibbi.

2000 South Carolina Republican Presidential Primary.png

“But Rove’s account stretches credibility. Forbes had already shown himself to be an electoral nonentity in Iowa. To claim his endorsement in New Hampshire was responsible for McCain’s landslide victory is refuted by Bush’s own strong showing in Iowa…

...Rove’s efforts to distance himself notwithstanding, it must be noted that the ‘dirty tricks,’ whether in Iowa, South Carolina, or elsewhere, always seemed to redound to the benefit of his candidate.”

-----The Dangers of Faction: Election 2000 and the End of the Sixth Party System, by Douglas Brinkley, 2008.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
A follow-up to my previous wikiboxes, Here There Be Dragons and The Doctor is in...
------
c0ON2gj.png

------
DATE: MARCH 23, 1972
Cassete Number/Minutes:
E - 8 Segment 1 (39 minutes)
Conversation Number: 885-7
Abstract:
This conversation between the President, Schlesinger, and McNamara reveals the President's growing frustration with the slow progress being made in the Mississippi Campaign and the then-ongoing New Orleans Riots. Schlesinger pleads with the President to explore all options to expedite the war's end; McNamara presses for a further escalation of the conflict.
Participants:
  • President Kennedy​
  • James Schlesinger, Secretary of Defense​
  • Robert McNamara, Asst. Secretary of Defense​
TRANSCRIPT OF A RECORDING OF A MEETING BETWEEN
THE PRESIDENT, SEC. SCHLESINGER, AND ASST. SEC. MCNAMARA IN
THE OVAL OFFICE, ON MARCH 23, 1972, FROM 5:30 TO 6:09
EXCERPT FROM 6:04 to 6:09 (5 MIN.)
PRESIDENT: I don't want to hear any more about what the fuck AIM is doing in South Dakota, that's not important. What about the Mississippi Valley? Anything going our way there?

SCHLESINGER: Depends on what you consider "us."

PRESIDENT: The hell does that mean?

SCHLESINGER: The rebels are having a hell of a time, but our boys aren't the ones beating 'em. It's the Panthers.

MCNAMARA: The fucking Panthers again? Jesus, sometimes I (unintelligible).

SCHLESINGER: The Panthers are the only reason all of New Orleans wasn't ash this morning. You saw those pictures, right?

PRESIDENT: Of the Tremé? With the dozen Negroes strung up by their necks in front of a burning cross and a destroyed neighborhood? They're permanently burned into my eyes.

MCNAMARA: We'll have to send in more troops.

SCHLESINGER: More men doesn't solve every problem.

MCNAMARA: You're right. It solves most of them.

SCHLESINGER: If that were true then it'd be Westmoreland parading through Baton Rouge right now, not Huey Newton.

PRESIDENT: (Unintelligible) The Panthers are in Baton Rouge?

SCHLESINGER: As of six hours ago, yes.

PRESIDENT: Jesus fucking Christ they move fast.

SCHLESINGER: You saw how they worked when we took Nashville. Hit hard, hit fast, and get outta Dodge.

PRESIDENT: ...That's true. They were a big part of why we managed to take that city, right?

SCHLESINGER: Yes.

MCNAMARA: The Panthers are unpredictable. Trigger-happy. They're sure to betray us the second things don't go their way.

PRESIDENT: But the enemy of my enemy is my friend, after all.

MCNAMARA: Mister President, you can't seriously be thinking of -

PRESIDENT: Call Bobby Seale. Tell him Washington is willing to make a deal so sweet he can't refuse.

(Voices fade)
------
00Ay0ad.png

Red: Redeemer-controlled territory
Blue: Black nationalist-controlled territory
Green: AIM-controlled territory
Yellow: Assorted Mexican cartels
Magenta: Conch Republic

------
Shoutouts to the man, the myth, the legend themself, @lou H, whose excellent "Second Reconstruction" oneshot map series heavily inspired this post!
How were African-Americans, Women, LGBT+ People, non-white racial minorities, Jews, and other marginalized minorities treated during the Southern Insurgency? Were they treated similarly, to the height of the Nadir between 1877-1923, or did it get to WW2 war crimes/atrocities levels? I presume in either case, alot of White Americans, both southern and northern alike, were punished in the aftermath of the civil war for their actions and crimes.

How were African-Americans, Women, LGBT+ People, non-white racial minorities, Jews, and other marginalized minorities treated during the Southern Insurgency? Were they treated similarly, to the height of the Nadir between 1877-1923, or did it get to WW2 war crimes/atrocities levels? I presume in either case, alot of White Americans, both southern and northern alike, were punished in the aftermath of the civil war for their actions and crimes.
Given that one of the Anti-Redeemer militias is the "Free Haganah", I'm guessing the Redeemers were not kind to Jews, no.

Incidentally, man it's weird to have the Black Panthers and A.I.M. listed as pro-government.

It really depended on the group and how deep into the South you went. But all the mentions of "Southern prison camps" on the wikibox? Well, when the KKK was building those they were looking to some other infamous prison camps from a war thirty years in the past for inspiration...

Given that one of the Anti-Redeemer militias is the "Free Haganah", I'm guessing the Redeemers were not kind to Jews, no.

Incidentally, man it's weird to have the Black Panthers and A.I.M. listed as pro-government.
They are not pro-government (at least, not until they got their demands at the Louisville Agreement). The wikibox oversimplifies the complexity of the conflict. At first glance there are two sides to the insurrection--the Redeemers and the Union--but that's more of an umbrella on the Union's side. The US government, Kingsmen (black militants explicitly aligned with the US government), New America Movement (a youth movement explicitly aligned with the US government), and Free Haganah (Jewish militants explicitly aligned with the US government) are all the Pro-government forces. The Anti-Redeemer forces and Communist groups (Black Panthers, Nation of Islam, AIM, Brown Berets, UFW, CPUSA, etc.) fight mostly against the Redeemers but aren't against fighting the US government if need be. However, since the US is in a very, very bad position with the South rising again, they generally avoid direct conflict with these guys whenever possible so as to not fight more groups than they absolutely need to. The Panthers and AIM eventually come to strike a deal because the US is desperate, as shown by that "tape" of JFK's conversation with his defense secretaries. But, essentially, for most of the war those groups are treated in accordance to the idea of "the enemy of my enemy is my momentary acquaintance because it will be mutually beneficial for us to work together for this short period of time."

I should note as well that the American political system ITTL is pretty different from the OTL 1970s (after all, the USSR is covertly supporting the US in this conflict), so while them turning a blind eye to Communist groups who are fighting the same racists they're fighting isn't normal it also isn't absurd like it'd be IOTL.

Considering that Lincoln and his cabinet (and Grant) most resolutely would have tried to finish the war before the 1865 March Inauguration, I am curious to see what would have happened in a "McClellan wins the Peace TL"
Well, I try to post updates to this mini-TL when I can on my test thread (the link is attached to the post). So if you are interested in the concept, that would be the best place to look for new updates, as many of them don't have wikiboxes to post here.

6247AE84-2B7C-459D-BD04-E110BE3C3852.jpg

Henry IX & I was the King of England, Scotland, and Ireland from 1605 to 1644, the first to hold both offices concurrently for his entire reign. Henry was born in 1594 to Kings James VI of Scotland and Anne of Denmark, and was granted the title Duke of Rothesay as heir to his father’s throne. At a young age he was separated from his mother, the cause of great discontent between his parents. At age 9 his father became King of England, and Henry was reunited with his mother, went South, and was made Prince of Wales.

Henry was by all accounts a fairly intelligent child, and seen as a fine eventual heir to his father. However he came to the throne far sooner than expected as a result of the Gunpowder Treason, which saw the utter destruction of Parliament by a Catholic Conspiracy, killing the King and his Lords and Commons as he opened the session. The Queen and Royal Children were away and so avoided the explosion and subsequent Great Fire of London. However the young Princess Elizabeth was kidnapped by plotters and proclaimed Queen of a new, Catholic, England. However there was never any popular support for the plot, and the Gunpowder Rising was swiftly quelled. Despite rumblings it was Anne who served as the primary regent for now King Henry, if only because there was no Privy Council or Parliament to assert otherwise initially. Despite murmurings of crypto-Catholicism surrounding her, the Queen would ultimately be regarded well by history for helping guide England following her husbands death. The devastation of the English nobility, and Anne’s lack of knowledge of England after only 2 years there, led to an influx of Scots arguably greater then that had followed James South. These “foreign” influences proved quite unpopular with many, and upon declaring his majority at age 18 Henry dismissed many, to the general praise of the commons.

Henry’s outlook on life was deeply influenced by the impacts of the Gunpowder Treason and Rebellion, as well as an almost obsessive desire to follow his father in all things. He was instilled with a deep distaste for Catholics, and was far harsher than James or Elizabeth had been on the matter of recusancy and more or less wiping out Jesuits from England, and totally disrupting the cohesion of remaining Catholics. In Ireland, he is still remembered as something of a bloody monster, save in Protestant strongholds like Ulster or Cork. Henry read his father’s political works extensively, and developed a taste for absolutism that at times lead him on a collision course with Parliament. At the same time Henry never forgot that Parliament had been destroyed as it stood (sort of) with his father, and so retained a fundamental respect that prevented things from escalation. Henry gave generously from the Royal Coffers to the great Palace of Parliament that still houses the institution to this day. Debt generally rose during his reign, leaving problems for his heirs, but the emergency of the post Treason World had allowed revenue to be raised somewhat.

Henry’s foreign policy is generally less well regarded. It was also permeated by an anti-Catholic bent that pleased certain Puritans, otherwise displeased with his generally mainstream Church policies. His marriage to the youngest daughter of William of Orange signaled continued conflict with the Spanish, although the days of the armada were long gone. Henry’s stubborn insistence on involvement with the Wars of Imperial Religion on the Continent, caused by a mix of youthful desire for glory and hatred of Papism, were received lukewarmly at the time and have not been well regarded by historians. English troops did little but fight in the Netherlands, again, and send support to the Swedes, Danes and assorted German Protestants. Henry’s death and the end of his fervent diplomatic efforts to keep the war going were a key in the end of the conflicts. Henry’s reign saw English colonies established in Virginia. A mainly Anglican and profit driven one at Henrytown and the more Puritan religious ones further south at Salem and Boston. English colonies and outposts could also be found in the Caribbean and East Indies.

Henry enjoyed a cordial and fruitful, if never entirely passionate relationship with his wife Emilia of Nassau. Despite the futile effort to make her Queen Henry got along quite well with his sister Elizabeth before her eventual marriage abroad. Relationships with his brother Charles were a tad frostier although Henry was said to enjoy the Yorkist Art patronized by his brother. Of his children, Henry was closest with Elizabeth and Anne, weeping openly when the former was married into the Swedish royal family. Henry’s favorite son is generally reckoned to have been Charles, mainly by process of elimination. Henry and his heir James were fine, but ultimately distant, while Young Henry often feuded with Old Henry on account of the former’s temper and the latter’s jealousy of his son’s actual military prowess.

Henry died of what is thought to be some sort of lung cancer (he was a great lover of Tobacco, with his preference for Puritan Grown Tobacco being a closely held secret) in 1644, leaving behind Kingdoms that, although by no means perfect or United (Henry always considered it his greatest regret to have failed his father’s mission to Unite Britain) we’re not teetering on the brink of chaos as they had been upon his accession to the throne.

I should note as well that the American political system ITTL is pretty different from the OTL 1970s (after all, the USSR is covertly supporting the US in this conflict)
Yeah, that is, pretty weird, honestly.

I presume, given this Cold War is a three-way, and one of the sides being unapologetic Imperialists who are in Europe, the Soviets and Americans get along better? I also assume that they therefore can afford to be picky and aren't supporting regimes they are ideologically opposed to just because they aren't in the enemy camp? (I presume the same is true of the US?)

Status
Not open for further replies.