Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VI (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's some Doctor Who infoboxes inspired by this YouTube comment.
ktfcyR7.png

FM9BjiR.png

To1vpA8.png

CgIo07N.png

8rrToe7.png

I don't even like rugby and I'm intrigued! Some of these flag choices... curious.
Thanks, Patton :) I've always had a love for rugby, and it's fun to do something a little bit out of the norm for the thread (and like i told mikey time to learn more about the rugger, nerd).

I'll admit that a few of those flag choices were done just for the fun of it, and reconciling all of them would probably be a bit of a task; I enjoy how something small like flag choice can imply a lot about the AH without having to infodump.

How do people work out voting percentages and popular vote with elections?
I usually use contemporary elections adjacent to the AH wikibox as a reference, then basically ask "how much, roughly, would turnout swing, would percentages swing, etc".

Tbh the last 3 digits of my total vote numbers are almost always entirely made up, as we're talking like 0.001% differences here. Don't sweat what you put in the hundreds place.

I usually use contemporary elections adjacent to the AH wikibox as a reference, then basically ask "how much, roughly, would turnout swing, would percentages swing, etc".

Tbh the last 3 digits of my total vote numbers are almost always entirely made up, as we're talking like 0.001% differences here. Don't sweat what you put in the hundreds place.
totally! For instance, going by the Kiwi Laser Flag, this is very clearly the Best Timeline.

I would love to see a TL about the Civil War becoming an international conflict.

What would be the POD?
It's a wonderful idea and I'd love to see what happens! For a POD, probably something to do with France. Russia was willing to defend the Union (thank you Cassius Clay), but Napoleon III was hesitant to support the Confederacy. I used the Siege of New Orleans as a not-turning-point, thus allowing France to feel much more confident in supporting the Confederacy.

It's a wonderful idea and I'd love to see what happens! For a POD, probably something to do with France. Russia was willing to defend the Union (thank you Cassius Clay), but Napoleon III was hesitant to support the Confederacy. I used the Siege of New Orleans as a not-turning-point, thus allowing France to feel much more confident in supporting the Confederacy.

What did Muhammad Ali have to with Russia?

Just kidding.

What did Clay have to do with Russian diplomacy?

I wonder how Russia might've evolved if it fought alongisde America. Would Alexander II have pushed for democracy earlier, after seeing how mighty the American republic was?

What did Muhammad Ali have to with Russia?

Just kidding.

I wonder how Russia might've evolved if it fought alongisde America. Would Alexander II have pushed for democracy earlier, after seeing how mighty the American republic was?
Russia and the US got along pretty well in the 19th century. Though the main reason was the idea to screw with Britain if they tried anything, which seemed a realistic possibility at the time.

How the war starts would be important. The British and french people were understandably sympathetic to the union, especially as the war became clearly about slavery. If elites in those two nations push for war to protect the CSA, that could cause issues for their war effort.

Russia and the US got along pretty well in the 19th century. Though the main reason was the idea to screw with Britain if they tried anything, which seemed a realistic possibility at the time.

How the war starts would be important. The British and french people were understandably sympathetic to the union, especially as the war became clearly about slavery. If elites in those two nations push for war to protect the CSA, that could cause issues for their war effort.

But this war could be far more consequential to American history than the OTL Civil War was.

Not only would America have saved itself from division, but it did so while telling the French, a Great European power, to fuck off, while rescuing Mexico's own democracy would just be an incredible demonstration of Russia's rise as a superpower.

Tsarist Russia too, by winning this war, would find itself with no only incredible prestige, but it could also modernize much more quickly.

Cassius Clay was the ambassador to Russia, and saw Alexander II's abolition of serfdom as an inspiration for the Union war effort, and was able to secure an alliance with Russia (including assistance in blockading the Atlantic) by drawing the comparison between abolishing serfdom in Russia and slavery in the US

My original idea was that France intervened before the Emancipation Proclamation was written (and, although it was tighter than I anticipated, I did succeed in that regards), and thus the French could pass off the war as "about state's rights and economic independence" and tactfully avoid the slavery debate.

My original idea was that France intervened before the Emancipation Proclamation was written (and, although it was tighter than I anticipated, I did succeed in that regards), and thus the French could pass off the war as "about state's rights and economic independence" and tactfully avoid the slavery debate.

I have a feeling that if Napoleon did forcefully intervene in this war and lost, it could mean the collapse of his regime.

He would not only lost the war, but the French would be angry for having fought to protect a slaveowner society and a puppet Mexican regime.

Oh boy, this would have major knockoff effects on a lot of stuff, like the German reunification.

Just France intervening is still probably an american win. Especially if France is in mexico still at the time, and thus distracted.

France really needs Britain to join them, which is what they wanted IOTL before even considering intervening.

I have a feeling that if Napoleon did forcefully intervene in this war and lost, it could mean the collapse of his regime.

He would not only lost the war, but the French would be angry for having fought to protect a slaveowner society and a puppet Mexican regime.

Oh boy, this would have major knockoff effects on a lot of stuff, like the German reunification.
Yep! Agree 100%, the August Crisis is Napoleon III's regime collapsing.

Just France intervening is still probably an american win. Especially if France is in mexico still at the time, and thus distracted.

France really needs Britain to join them, which is what they wanted IOTL before even considering intervening.

Even if Britannia entered the war, America and Russia have a shit ton of advantages over Britain and France: population, geography, numbers, etc.

But how does the balance of power in the world shift if Britain and France are laid low, and both Russia and America are the powers standing astride the world?

The 2021 Rugby World Cup kicked off on 17 September 2021. It was the tenth edition of the quadrennial world championship for men’s rugby union. It was hosted in the Empire of China (which in 2020, announced that after discussions, several matches would be hosted in the Republic of Hong Kong), and was the first Rugby World Cup to be hosted in Asia.

QUEFmwc.png

The top three teams from each pool of the 2017 World Cup automatically qualified for 2021, with China receiving a placement as the host nation. Six of the remaining seven spots were filled by regional qualifying tournaments, with the last determined by a play-off tournament. The four pools for the the World Cup were as follows:

OmVTkeM.png

After pool play finished, the top two teams from each pool advanced to the knockout stage.

vGwZaCx.png

The quarter-finals saw host-nation China defeated by a strong Ireland side, and the defending champion Australia side defeat Japan, despite the latter pulling into a first-half lead. The quarter-finals also saw two highly contested, incredibly hard fought matches, California vs. England and Vietnam vs. France. The California vs. England match, which saw California score the winning try and successful conversion with three minutes of play remaining, and thereafter pin England behind its own 22-meter line, is widely considered to be one of the biggest upsets in the history of rugby. France’s loss to Vietnam was decided by a single drop goal from Vietnam’s scrum-half, Pham Vinh, a World Cup record 51-meter attempt; the hit went viral an hour after upload to VidAfe, obtaining ten million views within 24 hours. France’s loss to Vietnam led to disappointment for hopefuls for a 2001 redemption rematch.

In the semi-finals, Australia continued its march along the path to a repeat championship, decisively defeating the California side, never trailing from the start of play. Vietnam continued its own Cinderella story, defeating the Irish side in another close, trench-battle match. In the match to decide third place, Ireland eventually defeated California after a high-scoring shootout, bringing a somewhat disappointing end to California’s resurgence from rugby purgatory, though Coach Rowan Lehner, in a statement to North American sports press, declared his pride in his side’s showing.

The final saw Australia and Vietnam - David and Goliath, Jack and the Giant - face each other down in Peking International Stadium, to a roaring crowd of over 110,000, the largest crowd on record for a rugby match. The world of rugby was divided roughly evenly between those cheering on the Wallabies to become the first side to win back-to-back World Cups, and those rooting for the underdog Golden Dragons to take their phenomenal journey all the way to the Webb Ellis Cup. Both sides left it all on the pitch, but ultimately Australia had more left in the tank in the second half, and won a two-try victory. The Webb Ellis Cup would belong to Australia for another four years.

Last edited:
It's been talked about occasionally in other threads, and really this whole thread concept is based around it- having something that looks exactly like an OTL reference work but isn't is delightfully jarring, conceptually- and things like the united Korea on the map really drive that home; it's a very tiny detail and easy to miss but just kind of pushes it a notch upward.

It's been talked about occasionally in other threads, and really this whole thread concept is based around it- having something that looks exactly like an OTL reference work but isn't is delightfully jarring, conceptually- and things like the united Korea on the map really drive that home; it's a very tiny detail and easy to miss but just kind of pushes it a notch upward.
Thanks, Gryph - I tried to include some small things like that in this other boxes and their write-ups, and I'm glad it added something to it for you.

If you quote someone, you don't need to tag them in the post itself.

The default setting is that users are alerted when someone quotes a post of theirs, so unless they are in the incredibly small amount of users that disable that feature, they will already be alerted to your post even without you tagging them.
Alright, lord caedus, thanks for telling me. Sorry about that. Duly noted for future quotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.