Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VI (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is his homestate Texas?
Because I forgot to change it while I was making it. It was already a pain to make considering I was new to making election boxes and I wasn't good with image editing software hence why Sonic's image looks a bit crusty. But as Mikey said, there are far greater questions to ask than this one.

Because I forgot to change it while I was making it. It was already a pain to make considering I was new to making election boxes and I wasn't good with image editing software hence why Sonic's image looks a bit crusty. But as Mikey said, there are far greater questions to ask than this one.
Such as how did the Republican party commit electoral suicide (given the nominee though I have my suspicions) and which old white eccentric billionaire will get the blame this time?

deekbbm-043073af-fffb-4e1d-b2fd-0aa83cf7b172.png

Such as how did the Republican party commit electoral suicide (given the nominee though I have my suspicions) and which old white eccentric billionaire will get the blame this time?
Or how the republican nominees even got nominated despite being constitutionally ineligible to run given they're both well below the age of 35?

Or why the republicans even got more electoral votes despite the circumstances of OTL's election?

Or why one faithless elector decided to screw everyone over and vote for Buchanan instead and send the election to congress?

Or why the fuck does Cuomo now have an 8-year old anthropomorphic fox as vice president?

I probably should have put a bit more thought into this, but its a shitpost, so what thought is there to put into?

USelection1980.png

Pretty Much, The 1953 Iranian Coup Never Happen. Thus the Iranian Revolution and the ensuing Oil Crisis. As a result, Carter is seen much more positively. although the Economy was seeing some slumps, it would generally be doing good. The fact that Detent was able to continue (No Soviet-Afghan war), Allowed Carter to win a second term.
And yes this is Unrealistic

(Also yes this is my first time making an Election Map)

Last edited:
View attachment 627139

Pretty Much, The 1953 Iranian Coup Never Happen. Thus the Iranian Revolution and the ensuing Oil Crisis. As a result, Carter is seen much more positively. although the Economy was seeing some slumps, it would generally be doing good. The fact that Detent was able to continue (No Soviet-Afghan war), Allowed Carter to win a second term.

You forgot the electoral vote number for Carter.

First up, congrats on completing your first Wikibox. Practice makes perfect as they say. Just a few pointers to help you in the future

1) The winner goes on the left-hand side - at least in OTL, maybe not in this universe's Wikipedia
2) 1980 election was on November 4, not 2
3) Besides Electoral Vote Count for Carter missing (already mentioned), it appears his popular vote is missing some digits at the end (that was the first thing my eyes went to - "Wow, Carter only got 51 and a half thousand votes? What did he do this time?"

Last edited:
From my The Empire Parnell Built TL...

The 1893 Irish general election took place between 14 August and 7 September 1893, the second election to the Second Order of the Irish Assembly. The Irish Parliamentary Party ("IPP") successfully saw off challenges from the offshoot Irish National League ("INL") and conservative Irish Loyal and Patriotic Union ("ILPU") to retain its majority in the Order and Parnell's position as Premier personally. Overall turnout fell by nearly 10%.

Screenshot 2021-02-21 at 11.52.10.png

Parnell and the IPP had governed Ireland since the previous election in 1887 but his position was damaged by the revelations, in 1892 of his long-term affair with Katherine O'Shea, the wife of IPP MO William O'Shea. When Parnell, for reasons which remain a matter of speculation, blocked O'Shea's political advancement, he sued his wife for divorce and named Parnell as a co-respondent. The revelations caused a split in the IPP, with a number of MOs following John Dillon and Justin McCarthy out of the IPP in disgust at Parnell's private life. They formed the INL in response. However, Parnell's tight control over the IPP's inner machinery and the political capital he had accrued as the man who had peacefully delivered Home Rule allowed him to retain his position as Premier and the loyalty of the majority of his MOs. Parnell sought to capitalise on the disorganisation of his opponents by dissolving the Second Order and calling a second election for the summer of 1893. The INL and ILPU, not expecting an election until the following year, were caught unprepared and failed to make the breakthrough they had hoped for, although both gained seats. Parnell was reaffirmed as Premier on 11 September.

The INL was led into the election by Justin McCarthy, who was a gifted intellectual but lacked the necessary practical skills to build a new party from the ground up. The party found it hard to find prospective candidates, especially in nationalist areas where personal loyalty to Parnell remained strong. Nevertheless, their gain of 18 seats did establish the party as a viable third force in the Order, a voice of social conservatism opposed to the more liberal instincts of the remaining IPP. The IPLU had been led since 1887 by the young St. John Broderick, who had attempted to modify the party's image as a mouthpiece of the Orange Order, instead emphasising imperial patriotism and sound public finances. The party attempted to stay out of religious disputes, with the Catholic Lord Kenmare being prominent in the party's campaign as part of an attempt to broaden its appeal in Catholic areas. However, the party failed to make a breakthrough and only gained 4 seats in Belfast and Dublin as a result of the IPP and INL vote splitting, despite the fact that the party's vote held up well (even as if declined as a total percentage due to the emergence of the INL).

F34E7898-EEB0-401C-85BE-A0552BE4E729.jpeg

The Battles of the Channel, known in French as the Three Glorious [Battles] were the decisive naval engagements of the Atlantic War. Although the Spanish Bourbons were eager to help their cousins in Paris and take the British down a peg, they were uneasy about supporting the rebellious Anglo-American Colonies directly. Thus an ambitious plan for an invasion of Britain was laid out. And 1779 was the perfect time to strike. The British Fleet was spread thin across the globe, and grossly unprepared for the Spanish fleet to combine with the French. Despite delays caused by Spanish lethargy, the new Armada entered the Channel in early August.

Charles Hardy was old and had been desk bound prior to the war, and was outnumbered by a nearly 2-1 margin. His best bet was to avoid a direct engagement, and let disease and poor supply decimate the enemy fleet. However the winds did not favor the British, and Hardy ran straight into the Allied fleet off Plymouth. British forces were better trained, fed, and led, but the disparity in numbers was too great. Hardy lost over a third of his fleet at Plymouth. The subsequent battles of Selsey and Sussex were more mop up operations, confirming Franco-Spanish control of the Channel.

The Battles of the Channel opened the door for the Comte de Vaux to cross the Channel, and make his landing at the Isle of Wight and Portsmouth, to be followed by the famous March to the Thames that would ultimately end the war in favor of the Allies.

My contest entry:

LtOzVMb.png

The Carrington-class solar superstorm that hit the Earth in the July of 2012 shook every country on Earth but, while most countries were able to weather the storm and make it through the temporary lack of modern technology almost unscathed (if one is willing to overlook things such as "apocalyptic death toll" and "financial armageddon", of course), some countries were so completely dependent on it, and so unstable even before the shit hit the fan, that they weren't able to make it through.

Like every country on the Arabic side of the Gulf, for example.

In the blink of an eye, the decadent oil monarchies of the Middle East went from the Information Age to the Bronze Age; but that was not the only issue they were facing: in the ensuing chaos, the exploited foreign workers of the Gulf, the majority of the population, revolted against the pampered minority of native inhabitants. Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates were taken over by provisional governments dominated by the immigrant labour force, and those Shi'a that had chafed under the Sunni yoke.

These provisional governments federated into the Khaleeji State in 2020, with the country's first presidential elections scheduled for the following year. The elections were won by the Progressive Party of the Gulf fronted by Rubylyn Almazan, a former Filipino maid of Moro descent that had become an activist in the years immediately following the Event. Barely literate and educated for most of her previous life, she nonetheless was an excellent orator, and had a talent for picking the right people for whatever jobs needed doing, such as her VP and eventual husband, Kabir Singh.

"The Cleaner" - as she came to be called due to her hardline stance on corruption and white collar crime, as much as due to her past - retired from politics after her first term, having successfully restored most modern amenities to the Gulf, and negotiated the accession of the majority Shi'a Eastern Province of the failed Saudi monarchy to the Khaleeji State, that had by then replaced it as the West's #1 ally in the region. She was succeeded by Musayh Akbar, an Arab Christian, and lived a quiet life before dying in New Dilmun, the new, planned, and eco-friendly capital of the Gulf in the 2050s.

It had been a rough time for the United States leading up to the 1980 election. The resignation of Nixon over Watergate and the ascension of his unelected Vice President George Bush to the White House had been a troubling time. Bush’s insistence on trying to hold the line in Vietnam up until the last minute left him woefully unpopular and paved the way for the rise of Senator George McGovern in the 1976 Democratic primaries. Senator McGovern had been the runner-up in 1972, narrowly losing to Muskie in the primaries and at the convention. While at the time he had seemed a radical and even in 1976 was made out to be one as he selected fellow antiwar Senator Mike Gravel to be his running mate, he managed to nonetheless crush President Bush in a landslide. McGovern promised many things: détente, amnesty for those who avoided the draft, universal healthcare, ethics in government. And to his credit he did try his damn hardest to make those promises reality. Unfortunately Congress was reluctant to play ball. Crises he inherited refused to go away and new ones dawned over the course of his term. Perhaps his assassination at the hands of the Manson acolyte Squeaky Fromme helped salvage his legacy in a sense in the end.

That left Vice President Gravel in the position of President of the United States going into 1979. Gravel shared the McGovern agenda. Unfortunately Gravel had one big problem that the sympathy following McGovern’s death couldn’t overcome: he was just not that good at being likeable, at least to his fellow politicians. His efforts to push through more direct democracy, better healthcare and strengthened voting rights floundered amidst a hostile relationship with Congressional leaders on both sides of the aisle. Gravel did make overtures to the party at large by selecting the union-friendly Adlai Stevenson III as his Vice President. But overall, Gravel’s friction with Congress coupled with unstable oil markets, problems in Iran and claims his nuclear policy mounted to appeasement seemed to leave an opening for the Republicans. The GOP had not been without its struggles—the legacy of Watergate loomed large and the party’s conservatives had become divided after former Governor Ronald Reagan died in a plane crash just after announcing a primary challenge to President Bush—sparking conspiracy theories on the fringes and leaving uncertainty of how to proceed for that wing of the party. Ultimately, conservatives would rally behind New York Senator James Buckley, affectionately known as ‘the Buck’ to his fans. The brother of William F. Buckley selected South Carolina Governor William Westmoreland as his running mate as a symbol of the revived American power he planned to bring.

There were other candidates on the ballot too—independent Tom McCall and Libertarian Eugene Burns each got around 3% of the vote for instance—but it was a Buckley vs. Gravel race. And it was clear from the get-go it would be a narrow one. Gravel had a number of advantages—incumbency and sympathy being at the top of the list, just ahead of wariness about Buckley leading America into another quagmire war on Westmoreland’s advice. But Buckley had some too. Many looked at the liberalism of McGovern and Gravel and had begun to balk. Things seemed like they might be moving a bit too fast. And their plans weren’t working—look at Iran! Look here at home! The competing advantages and disadvantages made the election widely seen as too close to call going in. And few could have seen the outcome. A few thousand votes in the state of New York—that was what it had come down to. And there would be many, many lawsuits and recounts to verify the results. But in the end, the initial call held. Despite a popular vote loss, it was James Buckley would be inaugurated as president on January 20, 1981. All Gravel could do was take solace in his popular vote win and keep his eyes on how things proceeded while devouring as many Grover Cleveland biographies as he could find…

Gravel vs Buckley.png

Status
Not open for further replies.