Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VI (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
50809421153_6ee0ef5229_o.png
William Henry Gates II was an American attorney, politician, and philanthropist who served as the 49th Mayor of Seattle, Washington.

Gates was born in Bremerton, Washington in 1925. His parents owned and operated a furniture shop. Gates served in the US Army for three years during World War II, then entered the University of Washington under the G.I. Bill. There, he earned a B.A. in 1949 and a J.D. in 1950.

Gates briefly worked in private practice before entering the office of the United States Attorney for the Western District of Washington, where he specialized in civil rights and employment law.

In 1969, Gates resigned from the US Attorney’s office to run for Mayor of Seattle in the 1970 election. Gates, a Democrat, defeated incumbent Republican Mayor James Braman. In office, Gates created agencies to assist small business owners, successfully promoted Seattle as a home for the growing technology sector, and reformed Seattle’s healthcare systems. Gates worked closely with Seattle-area lawmakers at the state and federal level to promote and maintain a progressive taxation system.

Gates denied several invitations to seek higher office. He was recruited to challenge Attorney General Slade Gorton in 1972 and to run for the US Senate in 1980 to replace retiring Senator Warren Magnuson and in the 1992 special election to replace scandal-ridden incumbent Brock Adams. He also reportedly turned down the position of Deputy Attorney General in the Bentsen administration.

Retiring in 1994, Gates served 24 years in the mayor’s office, making him the longest-serving mayor in the history of Seattle. In retirement, Gates became a philanthropist, working with the United Nations to develop and promote various global public health programs. He co-founded and co-chaired the Gates Foundation, a charitable organization, alongside his son and daughter-in-law. He served on the Board of Trustees of the University of Washington, his alma mater, in various leadership positions in the American Bar Association, and on the board of Planned Parenthood.

Gates died on September 14, 2020 at his beach home on Hood Canal, Washington, at age 94.

Gates had three children: Kristianne (Kristi), William III (Bill), and Elizabeth (Libby). Bill Gates, the founder and former CEO of Microsoft, was the wealthiest person in the world up until November 2020, when he was elected President of the United States, at which point he pledged to give away a third of his wealth to charitable causes.

Note: This was an idea I had in mind ever since Bill Gates Sr. died in September. Finally got around to doing it.
Never knew Bill Gates Dad looks just like him!

Eisenhower decides against running, and Everett Dirksen is nominated as a compromise candidate. I didn't make boxes for '52 and '56 since they're basically the same as OTL with different faces.
williams60.PNG

williams64.PNG

ribicoff68.PNG

romney72.PNG

romney76.PNG

bumpers80.PNG

So! I discovered this strange conspiracy theory that President Ulysses S. Grant was plotting to become Emperor of the United States. One author analyzed every step he took on his world tour, claiming he was rallying support from the Crowned Heads of Europe to recognize his reign. Another guy exercised a bit of "alternate history" by writing fake articles set in the future Empire. I did not see anything on this site about this, so... here is my poor attempt!

I might make this as its own thread later if there is interest...

RZmxibp.png

bvYJa7y.png

Similar to contemporary Apollo Ferry’s, the Deep Space Apollo was the third generation of the reliable Command and Service Module (CSM) and compared to lunar and early Skylab flights, included updated internal fittings and avionics alongside lighter instrument panels and equipment.
What are the Apollo Ferry’s?

Quick and dirty notes.

The Wiz: Barry Gordy gets the rights before Diana Ross does. This version better recieved by the public and critics.

A Star is Born: The Colonel is absent from the Presley-Streisand meeting. Biggest musical of the 1970s.

The Kentucky Fried Movie: Doug Kenney leaves for Hollywood in 1975 and meets some aspiring film makers. In TTL, the martial arts parody is only ten minutes long. Addition material to fill out the movie runtime was provided by Kenney.

Caddyshack: The success of Kentucky Fried Movie allows Caddyshack to be made sooner. This film shoot is not quite the mess OTL's was. While it is more successful than OTL's Caddyshack, it is less successful than the film it is replacing from OTL (Animal House).

50811937098_9547bd6796_o.png

Related infoboxes and templates:
James Bond in Film
Jaws (1975)
Flash Gordon (1976) and Buck Rogers (1976)
The Legend of King Kong (1977)
Superman (1977) and Damnation Alley (1977)
Apocalypse Now (1971), Manhattan Murder Mystery (1977), and Smokey and the Bandit (1977)
Doc Savage: The Ring of Fire (1978)
George Lazenby as James Bond: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) & Diamonds Are Forever (1970)
Roger Moore as James Bond: Live and Let Die (1972), For Your Eyes Only (1973), The Man with the Golden Gun (1975), The Spy Who Loved Me (1977), From a View to a Kill (1979)

And another Emperor Grant thing, with as "strong" of lore as one would expect a timeline spurting from a conspiracy theory would have... EDIT: fixed some inconsistencies in the text and the infobox.

81HPM8t.png

Last edited:
Quick and dirty notes.

The Wiz: Barry Gordy gets the rights before Diana Ross does. This version better recieved by the public and critics.

A Star is Born: The Colonel is absent from the Presley-Streisand meeting. Biggest musical of the 1970s.

The Kentucky Fried Movie: Doug Kenney leaves for Hollywood in 1975 and meets some aspiring film makers. In TTL, the martial arts parody is only ten minutes long. Addition material to fill out the movie runtime was provided by Kenney.

Caddyshack: The success of Kentucky Fried Movie allows Caddyshack to be made sooner. This film shoot is not quite the mess OTL's was. While it is more successful than OTL's Caddyshack, it is less successful than the film it is replacing from OTL (Animal House).

50811937098_9547bd6796_o.png

Related infoboxes and templates:
James Bond in Film
Jaws (1975)
Flash Gordon (1976) and Buck Rogers (1976)
The Legend of King Kong (1977)
Superman (1977) and Damnation Alley (1977)
Apocalypse Now (1971), Manhattan Murder Mystery (1977), and Smokey and the Bandit (1977)
Doc Savage: The Ring of Fire (1978)
George Lazenby as James Bond: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) & Diamonds Are Forever (1970)
Roger Moore as James Bond: Live and Let Die (1972), For Your Eyes Only (1973), The Man with the Golden Gun (1975), The Spy Who Loved Me (1977), From a View to a Kill (1979)
Why remove bill Murray from caddyshack

And another Emperor Grant thing, with as "strong" of lore as one would expect a timeline spurting from a conspiracy theory would have... EDIT: also forgive the random errors in the text, mea culpa.

K67LTlS.png

Since presidency is shown as succeeded by "himself as emperor" shouldn't the emperorship show "preceded by: himself as president"?

With the way it is it seems disconnected.
I think you should either go with "none, office established/abolished" or with "himself as president/emperor" in both of them.

"A Man Chooses... A Slave Obeys"
BioShock Movie.png

Armie Hammer - Jack Wynand
Bryan Cranston - Andrew Ryan
Marion Cotillard - Brigid Tenenbaum
Billy Zane - Atlas/Frank Fontaine
Woody Harrelson - Bill McDonagh
Ciarán Hinds - Sullivan
Judy Greer - Diane McClintock
Michael Fassbender - J.S. Steinman
Adrien Brody - Sander Cohen
Gary Oldman - Peach Wilkins
Uma Thurman - Julie Langford
Francois Chau - Yi Suchong
Michelle Williams - Jasmine Jolene

Last edited:
Ever thought of doing some infoboxes based on Arabella Kennedy and Patrick Bouvier Kennedy?
I considered it, but I lack the skills to make decent photos. Same reason why I didn’t make Jack Jr. survive into adulthood
I struggle to see how the SDLP wins West Belfast post-1997.
Unfortunately I still have much to learn about Northern Ireland politics. I based it on Gerry Adams’s loss to Joe Hendron in 1992.

I considered it, but I lack the skills to make decent photos. Same reason why I didn’t make Jack Jr. survive into adulthood

Unfortunately I still have much to learn about Northern Ireland politics. I based it on Gerry Adams’s loss to Joe Hendron in 1992.
You could use the FaceApp or something equilvalent to those.

Screenshot 2021-01-08 at 09.17.47.png

Screenshot 2021-01-08 at 09.18.23.png

Screenshot 2021-01-08 at 09.18.46.png

The 1949 United Kingdom general election was the first general election to be held in the UK after the abolition of university constituencies and the introduction of the mixed-member proportional voting system to replace first past the post. The Labour government of Herbert Morrison had been in power since 1945 and was seeking a second term. However, there was a swing away from Labour and they lost their small majority to a coalition of parties headed by the Liberals, which would remain in power until 1969.

Labour campaigned on a 'steady as she goes' message, emphasising the record of economic recovery since 1945 and the threat to the welfare state posed by the Liberals and the Unionists. The Liberal's meanwhile campaigned on a platform of accepting the majority of Labour's reforms while criticising government waste and corruption. They also criticised several aspects of Labour foreign policy, notably Morrison's commitment to obstructing Jewish emigration to Palestine and continued support for the government of Raghib al-Nashashibi, as well as the decision to join NATO, which many Liberals criticised as subordinating the UK and Commonwealth to the United States. The Conservatives, meanwhile, were the only party to campaign on a message of explicitly rolling back the state.

In Ireland, the establishment Irish parties the INL and INF were damaged by the shift from first past the post and the reduction in the number of Irish seats from 80 to 59. The election saw a breakthrough for Sinn Fein, which campaigned for Irish independence. The INL lost nearly a third of its seats while the INF managed to hold on to its seats only narrowly, once more raising the question of whether they should reunite. Of the smaller parties, the CPGB and the Liberal Conservatives also staged a breakthrough, with the CPGB quintupling its representation and the Liberal Conservatives increasing their seats to 17.

After the election, no one party was capable of forming a government and coalition discussions immediately began. Two weeks later, Liberal leader Gwilym Lloyd George announced that he had agreed a coalition of his party, the Unionists, the INL, the INF and the Liberal Conservatives. This coalition would largely maintain and expand the Labour reforms of 1945-49 and inaugurate a period of political consensus known as "Macskellism" (named after the Liberal Conservative and later Liberal leader Harold Macmillan and the future Labour leader Hugh Gaitskell). Unionist leader Lord Cranborne would resign in 1951 over the coalition's failure to roll back the welfare state but his party remained in government under the moderate David Maxwell Fyfe, ending serious parliamentary opposition to the postwar economic settlement. The coalition would also prove important for the layout of the parties in Parliament: in 1951 the INL and INF would merge to reform the Irish Parliamentary Party and in 1952 the Liberal Conservatives would formally join the Liberals.

Since presidency is shown as succeeded by "himself as emperor" shouldn't the emperorship show "preceded by: himself as president"?

With the way it is it seems disconnected.
I think you should either go with "none, office established/abolished" or with "himself as president/emperor" in both of them.
Yeah, there was a bit of a disconnect. Part of it may have been due to every time I checked the preview to see what it looked like I lost my place and had to scroll back to find it. I’ll probably upload a fixed version later today.

50809421153_6ee0ef5229_o.png
William Henry Gates II
was an American attorney, politician, and philanthropist who served as the 49th Mayor of Seattle, Washington.

Gates was born in Bremerton, Washington in 1925. His parents owned and operated a furniture shop. Gates served in the US Army for three years during World War II, then entered the University of Washington under the G.I. Bill. There, he earned a B.A. in 1949 and a J.D. in 1950.

Gates briefly worked in private practice before entering the office of the United States Attorney for the Western District of Washington, where he specialized in civil rights and employment law.

In 1969, Gates resigned from the US Attorney’s office to run for Mayor of Seattle in the 1970 election. Gates, a Democrat, defeated incumbent Republican Mayor James Braman. In office, Gates created agencies to assist small business owners, successfully promoted Seattle as a home for the growing technology sector, and reformed Seattle’s healthcare systems. Gates worked closely with Seattle-area lawmakers at the state and federal level to promote and maintain a progressive taxation system.

Gates denied several invitations to seek higher office. He was recruited to challenge Attorney General Slade Gorton in 1972 and to run for the US Senate in 1980 to replace retiring Senator Warren Magnuson and in the 1992 special election to replace scandal-ridden incumbent Brock Adams. He also reportedly turned down the position of Deputy Attorney General in the Bentsen administration.

Retiring in 1994, Gates served 24 years in the mayor’s office, making him the longest-serving mayor in the history of Seattle. In retirement, Gates became a philanthropist, working with the United Nations to develop and promote various global public health programs. He co-founded and co-chaired the Gates Foundation, a charitable organization, alongside his son and daughter-in-law. He served on the Board of Trustees of the University of Washington, his alma mater, in various leadership positions in the American Bar Association, and on the board of Planned Parenthood.

Gates died on September 14, 2020 at his beach home on Hood Canal, Washington, at age 94.

Gates had three children: Kristianne (Kristi), William III (Bill), and Elizabeth (Libby). Bill Gates, the founder and former CEO of Microsoft, was the wealthiest person in the world up until November 2020, when he was elected President of the United States, at which point he pledged to give away a third of his wealth to charitable causes.

Note: This was an idea I had in mind ever since Bill Gates Sr. died in September. Finally got around to doing it.

Eisenhower decides against running, and Everett Dirksen is nominated as a compromise candidate. I didn't make boxes for '52 and '56 since they're basically the same as OTL with different faces.
View attachment 614465
View attachment 614466
View attachment 614467
View attachment 614468
View attachment 614470
View attachment 614471

These are really well done - very imaginative and a good read (Gates) and nice rabbit holes to go down (the electoral candidates). Thanks both!

Status
Not open for further replies.