Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VI (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m Just Wild About Lyndon
1944 DNC
The More Things Change...

View attachment 582472

Lyndon Johnson had deeply angered many Conservative Democrats with his veto of the Taft-Hartley Bill, and there was serious talk of a walkout. Howver by pledging to crush any Civil Rights plank that might emerge at the Convention, and a heavily reliance on his friends throughout the South, Johnson was able to avert any planned Southern Party, at least for this election. However this opened up trouble on his left. His ex-Commerce Secretary Henry Wallace had raised the specter of the Progressive Party for a third time, and Johnson’s cronies shutting down a young Hubert Humphrey at the Democratic Convention earned him no credit, to say nothing Johnson’s loss of the northern black vote, who had at least been willing to entertain voting Roosevelt.

Many were surprised by Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas joining Johnson’s ticket, considering the dire straits the President seemed to be in. However the pair had known each other since Johnson was just a legislative aide, and took the VP slot under considerable pressure from Johnson. Douglas was widely hailed as a good VP pick, but the President was widely expected to lose badly to the Dewey/Warren Ticket.

However Johnson immediately took to the offensive, attacking Dewey and the Republican Congress relentlessly. His attempts to replicate his breakneck campaigning from Texas drove him well past the point of exhaustion, but still he fought. He began to shift leftwards once it became apparent that it was the North where he needed to pick up votes. He even backtracked some of his efforts to quash Civil Rights debates. The South fumed, but it was too late to organize any rebellion. Johnson visited every town he could find, never stopping. Union support proved crucial, as did the leaking of some of Henry Wallace’s more...esoteric correspondence.

Dewey meanwhile, campaigned complacently, trying to avoid coming down hard on any issue. Johnson did this as well, but he could at least seem charming while doing so, Dewey just seemed stiff. Meanwhile the Republicans in Congress were proving themselves to the right of the supposed GOP platform, which Johnson ruthlessly exploited. Dewey saw success campaigning in the Northeast, and the Great Lakes. But Johnson’s intense campaign, and his background’s appeal to poor farmers, dampened the Republicans in the west, at least outside of traditional strongholds.

By Election Day, everyone agreed the race had tightened. But most polls agreed Dewey still maintained a lead, and would likely serve as the next President. But they were wrong. The election would prove the closest since 1916, but Johnson would secure a solid lead in the popular ore. Had Dewey been able to flip the fairly close Illinois race he still would have won, but the Land of Lincoln did not follow the Party of Lincoln.

Johnson had been the youngest man to become President, and now he was the youngest man elected President. With him, the Democrats retook the House, and expanded their Senate majority.

Popular ore? Don't you mean popular vote, King of the Uzbeks?

Also, how close was New York during the election? Did Dewey just barely win his home state like in reality or did he win by a bigger margin?

Britannic.png

For those who dont know, the Britannic was the sister ship to the Titanic,
She sank in 1916 after being struck by a mine.

Last edited:
Follow up to Tianjin Memorial: MC&D. Might do 096, the Tianjin Massacre, the exclusion zones, and possibly other people. 2012 may be a year of tragedies, but 096 didn't stop at there.

MC&D.png

And somehow, you managed to bankrupt the financially strongest firm ever. Congratulations, world. You tanked your own global economy. Good thing it's not a company with a hundred thousand employees.

(MC&D hub says there are only 100 employees at most, but it doesn't make sense. Also the "accessories" are anomalous artifacts, but the world does not know.)

Edit: Fixed the ISIN code.

Last edited:
94.png

Lufthansa Flight 8854 (LH8854) was a scheduled passenger flight from Munich to Tokyo that was shot down in 1994 while flying over Russia. All 330 passengers and 15 crew were killed. Contact with the aircraft, a McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30, was lost when it was about 7 km (4 mi) from Pskov, Russia and 20 km (12 mi) from the Estonia–Russia border. Large sections of the aircraft crashed onto Murovitsy in Pskov Oblast, killing 5 people on the ground. The shoot-down occurred in the Second Russian Civil War, in an area controlled by the Reds. Military aircraft loyal to the government bombed Pskov in the hours leading up to the shoot-down, and the commander of the Pskov Red Forces ordered that all aircraft approaching Pskov be shot down. However, air traffic controllers Pskov were unaware of that order.

On Sunday, 8 May 1994, Lufthansa Flight 8854 departed from Munich Airport at 15:31 local time. It was due to arrive at Narita International Airport at 09:51 JST, Monday, 9 May. Contact with the aircraft was lost after 18:53 MSK. Immediately after contact with the aircraft was lost, the Red Forces in Pskov claimed to have shot down a NATO reconnaissance aircraft. When it became apparent that the wreckage that fell onto Murovitsky was from a civilian airliner, the Reds withdrew this claim and denied shooting down any aircraft.

The responsibility for investigation was delegated to the German Federal Bureau of Aircraft Accident Investigation (DFU) and the German-led joint investigation team (JIT), who concluded that the aircraft was downed by a surface-to-air missile launched from territory controlled by the Reds in Pskov Oblast. The findings by the BFU and JIT are consistent with the earlier claims by American and German intelligence sources and claims by the Russian government. On the basis of the JIT's conclusions, NATO held the Red Forces responsible for the shoot-down of Lufthansa Flight 8854 and intervened in the civil war in November 1995.

Folks here seem to have wanted to see how far they could push the "no current politics" rule, Now you know. Y'all have run out of space.

Not even going to bother with reminders going forward. Y'all are ON NOTICE

Enough kicks and the thread get locked once and for all.

Up to the folks who post he what happens going forward.
Most of us don't cause trouble, be it putting up current politics or breaking other site rules. I think it's fair to punish the offenders when they break the rules, but not the massive amount of people who have been keeping this thing alive for 6 consecutive threads (almost a decade's worth of posts) for no fault of our own.
(i can finally talk here again, so here we go)
I apologize for my mistake, I though 2024 (not even being the next US presidential election) did not count as "current politics". I removed the post from this thread and I will be more careful when posting again. Though I think it would be excessive (and a waste) to lock this thread and end this series for a few mistakes.

Note to others (and myself) : 2024 is current politics

View attachment 582706

Lufthansa Flight 8854 (LH8854) was a scheduled passenger flight from Munich to Tokyo that was shot down in 1994 while flying over Russia. All 330 passengers and 15 crew were killed. Contact with the aircraft, a McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30, was lost when it was about 7 km (4 mi) from Pskov, Russia and 20 km (12 mi) from the Estonia–Russia border. Large sections of the aircraft crashed onto Murovitsy in Pskov Oblast, killing 5 people on the ground. The shoot-down occurred in the Second Russian Civil War, in an area controlled by the Reds. Military aircraft loyal to the government bombed Pskov in the hours leading up to the shoot-down, and the commander of the Pskov Red Forces ordered that all aircraft approaching Pskov be shot down. However, air traffic controllers Pskov were unaware of that order.

On Sunday, 8 May 1994, Lufthansa Flight 8854 departed from Munich Airport at 15:31 local time. It was due to arrive at Narita International Airport at 09:51 JST, Monday, 9 May. Contact with the aircraft was lost after 18:53 MSK. Immediately after contact with the aircraft was lost, the Red Forces in Pskov claimed to have shot down a NATO reconnaissance aircraft. When it became apparent that the wreckage that fell onto Murovitsky was from a civilian airliner, the Reds withdrew this claim and denied shooting down any aircraft.

The responsibility for investigation was delegated to the German Federal Bureau of Aircraft Accident Investigation (DFU) and the German-led joint investigation team (JIT), who concluded that the aircraft was downed by a surface-to-air missile launched from territory controlled by the Reds in Pskov Oblast. The findings by the BFU and JIT are consistent with the earlier claims by American and German intelligence sources and claims by the Russian government. On the basis of the JIT's conclusions, NATO held the Red Forces responsible for the shoot-down of Lufthansa Flight 8854 and intervened in the civil war in November 1995.
Russian Civil War again? After failed coup against Gorbachev?

How long the world might be viewing the Flight 8854?

Russian Civil War again? After failed coup against Gorbachev?

How long the world might be viewing the Flight 8854?
The POD is that the Anti-Yeltsin opposition successfully deposed and arrested Yeltsin in October 1993, but failed to secure control over the entirety of Russia, which resulted in a civil war between the supporters and opponents of the former president. The shoot-down of LH8884 resulted in a United States-led intervention in the civil war, and the liberals won in 1996.

(i can finally talk here again, so here we go)
I apologize for my mistake, I though 2024 (not even being the next US presidential election) did not count as "current politics". I removed the post from this thread and I will be more careful when posting again. Though I think it would be excessive (and a waste) to lock this thread and end this series for a few mistakes.

Note to others (and myself) : 2024 is current politics
Do remember that this is an alternate history forum. We do not usually post futuristic things here.

Status
Not open for further replies.