Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VI (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned in my original post that the Australian election led to a Labour landslide for Gough Whitlam. He eventually took virtually the same path as Trudeau--a referendum with overwhelming support from nearly every political party, and he was sworn in as Australia's first president. Almost the entire Commonwealth followed this path because the revelation made the Windsors universally distrusted.

Full disclosure, I'm not very knowledgeable on non-contemporary AU/NZ politics so I'll have to do a bit more reading. I'm thinking either Keith Holyoake becomes the first President or Norman Kirk defeats him at an election and he becomes the first President.
Good scenario, but all these Commonwealth realms switching to seemingly similar semi-presidential systems doesn't make much sense to me considering the strong parliamentary tradition they all share.

Good scenario, but all these Commonwealth realms switching to seemingly similar semi-presidential systems doesn't make much sense to me considering the strong parliamentary tradition they all share.

I have the British presidency starting out as something powerful but eventually transitioning to a largely ceremonial position once the country settles down and recovers from the mess created by the abolition of the monarchy. I left it vague, but the new British system will probably be like the current (real-life) Canadian situation except the Senate is fully elected.

meanwhile, Canada transitions to something closer to the American system (although I’ve left the US itself vague because I have plans there as well). I’ve left AU and NZ vague as well but I do plan to incorporate the parliamentary system and their presidents will definitely be a more ceremonial head of state (less powerful than the French president but more so than the Israeli president).

I have the British presidency starting out as something powerful but eventually transitioning to a largely ceremonial position once the country settles down and recovers from the mess created by the abolition of the monarchy. I left it vague, but the new British system will probably be like the current (real-life) Canadian situation except the Senate is fully elected.

meanwhile, Canada transitions to something closer to the American system (although I’ve left the US itself vague because I have plans there as well). I’ve left AU and NZ vague as well but I do plan to incorporate the parliamentary system and their presidents will definitely be a more ceremonial head of state (less powerful than the French president but more so than the Israeli president).
That makes sense, I'm just not sure why they would establish a powerful president in the first place at all. Support for abolishing the monarchy in those circumstances does not necessarily translate to support for abolishing or at least reducing parliamentarism. From experience, I think a large majority of republicans in Australia would probably oppose the abolition of the monarchy if it meant establishing a semi- or presidential system, even in conditions like the ones presented. I'd wager the same is true for NZ and probably Canada too, and probably wasn't much less true back in the 60s and 70s. I feel like, in this situation, a really simple and effective line of attack for monarchists would be to accuse republican governments of using the unpopularity of the monarchy to attempt a power grab in the form of a strong presidency.

Deleted member 92121

As someone who grew up with the Narnia books and has fond memories of reading them, I gotta say: this one hurts. :cryingface:
Either way, bravo! Another great set of wikiboxes from you, as per usual.
Thanks for the praise!
If it makes you feel better, this version of Narnia is probably not bad either. Just different and with an anti-religious message (which is not uncommon, think of His dark materials).
The author itself though, would be very controversial.

PSX_20200731_125755.jpg

With Ted Kennedy beating The incumbent Jimmy Carter in the Democratic primary the Democratic party thought that the Kennedy dynasty would be enough to hide the chaos that their party was in however Ted's decades long scandal was easy for the GOP to exploit

View attachment 571186
With Ted Kennedy beating The incumbent Jimmy Carter in the Democratic primary the Democratic party thought that the Kennedy dynasty would be enough to hide the chaos that their party was in however Ted's decades long scandal was easy for the GOP to exploit
You do know that you can edit wikiboxes directly in the website or the sandbox rather than using photoshop or some other program, right?

When on the Wikipedia page of your choice, click the "edit" button near the search bar, that way you can edit it via the source code. Sometimes, the edit button will be replaced with a "view source" button depending on the article in question. If there is a view source button. just copy and past the wikibox's code onto the sandbox's code. It's important to note that you must never click "publish changes" as that would upload what you edited onto the main page, which may gain the attention of the site's moderators. Instead, click "show preview" after you've made your edits and then use the snipping tool on the final wikibox, copy and paste the image, and then post it here. I hope my description makes sense for you.

Equestrian Politics
Previous boxes
Triple Crown Party and Corona Party
Party to Uphold Hippocracy
Everfree Party
Nightmare Party
Equalist Party (Marksist-Glimmerist), Equalist Party (Trotskyite), and Equalist Party (Blankist)
Free Alliance of Farriers and Ferriers

The last party contesting general district seats.

FDfiEcC.png

The Discordian Party is a right wing republican party in Equestria. The party originated in the Free Rein Society, a think tank that advocates the idea of natural self-governance and market economics. The Free Rein Society initially was associated with one faction of the Everfree Party, but formed its own party following a resounding rejection of the Society's more radical leanings by the Everfree establishment. The Free Rein ideology draws inspiration from the Everfree Forest as well, but goes even further. In a more literalist interpretation of the adage about the Everfree Forest, the Free Rein Society believes the ideal relationship between ponies and the natural world is to relinquish all control over it and let the weather, animals, and plant growth operate freely and of its own will as it does in the Everfree Forest without any pony management.

After the depetrification and later the reformation of Discord, the party adopted his name as a more recognizable symbol to draw upon. While the origins in the Free Rein Society are still very present within the Discordian Party in much of its ideological underpinnings, the association with Discord has made the Discordians somewhat popular as a purely anti-establishment force and as a protest party rather than a party with a coherent ideological base. The current party leader Monte Carlo has kept the party mainly in line with its previous platform, but influence from some of the more protest-oriented members of the party including deputy leader Crisdod have recently put some more out there policy ideas into the platform. The first is the advocacy of sortition, determining who holds offices by lottery. The second is the party advocating for heliocentrism, a theory that the planet, moon, and other heavenly bodies all revolve around the sun. Heliocentrism is a fringe conspiracy theory and is in all likelihood meant as a nonserious protest policy meant to mock the Triple Crown and other establishment parties' perceived subservience to Princess Celestia and the diarchy.

For its first several decades, the candidates endorsed by the Free Rein Society and then the Discordian Party did not do very well. However, the growing anti-establishment reaction following the Storm King's invason and the Cozy Glow Crisis has given the party a boost in some parts of Equestria. In particular, in the most recent election the Discordians have seen a jump in support in northwestern Equestria, one of the already more naturally self-governing regions of the country due to its remoteness and largely rural population outside of Vanhoover. In the riding of Pugallop-Seaddle-Vanhoover Island, the Discordian candidate Twisted Hemp emerged as a strong protest candidate against Triple Crown Party MP Pineapple Express. The Discordians came in second, but took enough vote from Pineapple to swing the overall vote to the Everfree Party's Salt Spring. Additionally, the Discordian Party gained their first seat in parliament in the Equinemalt-Naneighmo riding. Local celebrity Frank Neigh ran and won the riding for the Discordian Party after gaining notoriety for fending off a wandering Cadborosaurus that had wandered onshore during the magic outage caused by Cozy Glow.

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 6.01.36 PM.png

This is more fanciful, but, who cares? In this alternate history Wikipedia infobox, Laika survives her orbit around the Earth and safely reenters the Earth's atmosphere. This was inspired by me reading the comic as a kid and crying like a baby at the end.

And she's given the Hero of the Soviet Union medal---because she deserves it, gosh darn it! 13/10 good doggo.

View attachment 571243
This is more fanciful, but, who cares? In this alternate history Wikipedia infobox, Laika survives her orbit around the Earth and safely reenters the Earth's atmosphere. This was inspired by me reading the comic as a kid and crying like a baby at the end.

And she's given the Hero of the Soviet Union medal---because she deserves it, gosh darn it! 13/10 good doggo.
Was that even an option OTL? I know she died of heatstroke but did they ever consider not making it a one way trip?

Adolf Hitler was a British politician who served as Prime Minister of The United Kingdom of Great Britain, France and Ireland from 1933 to 1935 and again from 1939 to 1945.

Born in Austria in 1889, Hitler's family moved to France in 1890 during the Austrian-German war.

In 1916, Hitler was first elected to The House of Commons.

In 1932, Hitler replaced Charles de Gaulle as Leader of the Conservative Party

In 1933, Hitler became Prime Minister of The UK when his party beat the Liberals.

In 1935, Hitler was defeated by the Liberals.

In 1939, The Conservatives once again defeated the Liberals and Hitler once again became Prime Minister.

Hitler resigned from Parliament in 1945 and was replaced by Charles de Gaulle.

Hitler died in 1980.

Prime Minister Hitler.PNG

POD: Monte Melkonian survives the Battle of Aghdam

Even before the [1999 National Assembly shooting], Monte Melkonian's relationship with Vazgen Sargsyan and his allies was increasingly strained. While Vazgen deeply respected Monte until his death, calling Avo "the most honest person in the entire world", and the feeling was mutual, their different political views - their outlook on Armenia's future - came to the forefront in the late nineties. In August 1999, despite his alliance with Sargsyan and [People's Party leader and National Assembly President Karen] Demirchyan, Monte Melkonian criticized the Sargsyan government's austerity measures, calling the proposal "a betrayal of the Armenian people's best interests in favor of foreign profiteers", and voted against, becoming one of the few Unity MPs to do so. Karen met with Monte on August 29, 1999 in his residence; he said that he understood Avo's qualms with the measures, but said that Armenia was in no position to do otherwise. Monte said that he wanted to stand by his principles, and found Sargsyan and Demirchyan's "disposal" of Armenia to Western caprice "unjust". What was supposed to be a heart-to-heart conversation grew increasingly heated, with Avo calling out Karen over the "false promises" and lack of concreteness in his presidential campaign, insinuating that he was lying about bringing Armenians "a prosperous life"; Demirchyan felt insulted. It took a week before Monte and Karen fully reconciled, when they held a press conference reaffirming their commitment to the Armenian people's welfare.

[...]

A confrontation between Melkonian and Kocharyan was inevitable. Some say it was a confrontation between the diaspora and the Soviet-grown mainland, but those claims only laid out a part of the political turmoil that Armenia went through. After Sargsyan and Demirchyan's death, Kocharyan understood quickly that Melkonian was his most dangerous enemy - they were starkly different, both in terms of politics and personality, and he would always be overshadowed by the greatest commander of the Nagorno-Karabakh War, no matter how much his men would insinuate that Monte was a radical, a Stalinist, or a terrorist sympathizer. Once Monte stepped up as leader of the People's Party, there was continuous, implicit tension between the Republican Party and the People's Party; Kocharyan held press conferences that contained not just numerous jabs at the "inefficient communist" People's Party, but what Monte perceived to be implicit death threats against him. It was not unreasonable for him to think so, as many felt that Kocharyan was involved in the [1999 National Assembly shooting], and Melkonian himself was almost assassinated in January of 2000. Melkonian's supporters, many of whom grew up in Artsakh or abroad and tended to be left-leaning and reform-minded, chanted that Kocharyan was "afraid" of Melkonian. In some way, they would be proven right when preparations for the presidential election began.

~ A Man's Rebirth, Mardar Melkonian

8fwfyo.png

Status
Not open for further replies.