Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VI (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 2.34.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 2.37.46 PM.png

In this Wikipedia Infobox, I play around with the idea that Robert E. Howard seeks treatment for his worsening mental health after the death of his mother, and lives on to see Conan the Barbarian on the big screen. The 76-year-old Howard is even given a small role as Conan's father. In the sequel, he is offered the same role for flashback scenes, but, he decides not to. Instead, he opts for a cameo role as an elderly background character.

Afterward, he lives the rest of his years in his late parent's home in Cross Plains, Texas. After his death, most of his earnings would be willed to numerous charities that deal with mental health issues and also literature associations.

Last edited:
ALTWATCHMEN.png

Alternate Watchmen

Jackie Earle Haley - Walter Kovacs / Rorschach
Joaquin Phoenix - Daniel Dreiberg / Nite Owl II
Natalie Portman - Laurie Jupiter / Silk Spectre II
Edward Norton - Jon Osterman / Doctor Manhattan
Jude Law - Adrian Veidt / Ozymandias
Mel Gibson - Edward Blake / The Comedian
Sigourney Weaver - Sally Jupiter / Silk Spectre I
Ed Harris - Hollis T. Mason / Nite Owl I
Michael Douglas - Nelson Gardner / Captain Metropolis
Billy Dee Williams - Malcom Long

(The David Hayter you see there is the same David Hayter who voiced Solid Snake and Big Boss. Before the film was released in 2009, David Hayter wrote a script for a Watchmen film in 2003 that would've been directed by Paul Greengrass, which even got Alan Moore's blessing. Theres a test footage of this version online that was directed by Hayter.)

Last edited:
The Rising Sun Casts the Longest Shadows
Great Asian War
Sydney Raid
Third United Front
Japanese Nuclear Program and the Destruction on Wenzhou

746B0CA4-B0DB-4792-A332-1FFCB5B8C691.png

Ho Chi Minh was a Vietnamese nationalist, freedom fighter, and communist who became an international symbol of resistance against Japan in the late 1950s.

Ho (he used many names, but only one will be used for clarity’s sake) the son of a Confucian Scholar, traveled the world in his youth, and in doing so became exposed to left-wing beliefs, eventually winding up a committed Communist. He was present at the Versailles Conference at the end of WWI and attempted to meet with American and French leaders, but wound up rebuffed. He would spent the interwar years advancing his name as one of the foremost communists fight for Vietnamese independence, although his subversive activity kept him out of Vietnam for some time.

In 1941 he returned to his homeland to head the Viet Minh, an anti-French and anti-Japanese force. It was tough going as Japan not from strength to strength. Still, despite his avowed Communism he forged good relations with British and Australian Intelligence, who were pleased to have someone resisting the enemy in Indochina. Even when the war between Japan and the West ended, Ho and the Viet Minh were some of the most effective anti-Japanese guerrilla fighters. In 1951 he was raised to a prominent new position in the Worker’s Party of Vietnam, heralding that he would be a powerful man in a hypothetical independent Vietnam.

1954’s Colombo Agreement and the broader western detente with Japan in the face of Soviet aggression was a severe blow to Ho. It marked the end of western support for the cause. Even the Australians, who otherwise continued to be hostile to Japan, were not interested in the Communist Ho. The distance of the Soviet Union meant that Moscow could hardly be relied upon to pick up the slack. Even Vietnam’s venerable history of insurgency could do little. Most of the time the Viet Minh used bases in Thailand, where Japanese control was relatively thin, and trekked Eastwards via Annam (also known as Laos) to fight for the homeland.

The destruction of Wenzhou the next year, and the massive backlash it brought upon Japan was a breath of fresh air for the Viet Minh, and new offensives were launched in central Vietnam. Unfortunately the Japanese decided that what had worked in China, might work in Vietnam. It was not a city destroying bomb like Wenzhou, as the Viet Minh controlled no cities, but Japanese propaganda still touted that the majority of Viet Minh leaders, who had been holed up in Quảng Nam Province’s jungle for a conference had been destroyed by a nuclear bomb with “little to no civilian casualties.”

Ho, however, had been running late.

Shortly thereafter the pirate radio waves of Vietnam were plastered with the sound of Ho’s voice, giving what proved to be an era defining speech. Ho spoke of how there had been women and children at the Viet Minh hideout, not to mention nearby villages. He spoke of the lies Japan sold about being anti-Imperialist, he lambasted the west both for allowing such atrocities to occur and for setting Japan on such a path in the 1800s. But he also asked for the help of the west, calling on their ideals to oppose Japanese brutality.

The speech was widely transmitted, both because of its stirring content and the massive egg on the face it provided the Japanese. The use of Nuclear Weapons by Japan against insurgents was already the subject of much controversy in the West, and mass demonstrations in favor of Vietnam were held, and Ho Chi Minh became a popular face to plaster on tee-shirts and signs. Vietnamese sympathy for the revolution increased rapidly as well.

Sadly, Ho had not been far enough away from the blast to escape the radiation. Within a week of the speech illness came, and death by radiation poisoning followed soon thereafter, only increasing his martyrdom. The crusade of Vietnamese independence was taken up by his sometimes friend, sometimes rival, Truong Chinh, who had been working in Saigon at the time of the Quang Nam Conference and was unable to attend.

Ho’s initial escape and so called “Fallout Speech” are considered pivotal moments in the Cold War in Asia, turning the prospect of detente with Japan into a contentious political issue. It also served as an inspiration for a variety of anti-Japanese groups in the Co-Prosperity Sphere.

Would you be able to do an infobox on the Brittanic Church? I'd be interested to see what that's about. :)
I'm not really sure I could, since it's not a single church, but a plurality of churches (all protestant churches in the British Isles) that are united under the single authority (nominal or not of the monarch). From the post I did on the previous (Henry to Anne) line where I commented on it:

the monarch is at the same time a member and not a member of all protestant denominations within his domains as their head (due to over a two centuries of developing differently, most protestant churches in Britain and Ireland considered the monarch as their head, so this was more of a formality and "making official what was already there")
While it would be interesting in doing something about them and how they work (from the Anglicans (who are more protestant than OTL) and presbiterians to the various unique Irish churches, from the Anglican-wannabes around the Pale to the almost-pagans in the far south), I'm not even sure how would I do that

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 2.00.29 PM.png

SECRET
MEMORANDUM TO THE PRESIDENT

Lt. Gen. HAROLD G. WHITE, NSC Chairman

SUBJECT: REPORT ON SOUTH AMERICA INCIDENT

Mr. President
CIA and other branches of government have jointly conducted an in-depth investigation into the South America situation, sufficiently so to provide a general picture as to what exactly took place. We strongly believe, as you will soon learn, that the position of complete non-disclosure adopted by the Argentine Republic stems from its potential involvement in the phenomenon. Combined with our scientific understanding that the outburst of energy was produced by an atomic detonation, it is possible to conclude that this incident was the result of an undeclared nuclear test conducted by Argentina. We stress the fact that these conclusions are not final and they may change as new developments take place, although insofar as this administration is concerned, we must believe that Argentina has somehow obtained the technical expertise necessary to carry out nuclear tests. How this was achieved and to what end remains unknown. We shall keep you informed.

Last edited:
Sony1.jpg

A year after he battled the Green Goblin, Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) is recruited into the "Avengers Initiative" by billionaire Tony Stark (Tom Cruise) and Agent of SHIELD Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson).

Stan Lee Cameo: A SHIELD janitor Peter encounters while on his way to meet with Stark and Fury for the first time.

Post-Credits Scene: Stark is leading an expedition in the Arctic, where he discovers a red, white, and blue shield buried in the ice...

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 3.26.53 PM.png

"Lee Oswald was a far-right capitalist radical who attempted to take the life of our dear leader: Earl Browder..."- Excerpt from the Student's Manual of Worker's Thinking (1971)

"...I was just glad to be alive...good thing he was a poor shot!"-
Quote from an interview with Earl Browder while in his summer home in Las Vegas. (November 29, 1972)

"Death to the communist traitors!" -Reportedly Lee Oswald's last words before being shot by a firing squad.

eadmund

Banned
1595878558486-png.570059

---

Liberals hold Huddersfield after two recounts

Kirklees Councillor Jodie Whittaker has held Huddersfield for the Liberal Party following two recounts, with 21,679 votes to Labour candidate Paul Salveson’s 21,542, a majority of 137, after sitting MP Ann Denham stood down.

The seat, held by the party since Independent Liberal MP James Harold Wilson stood down in 1986, had been predicted as a Labour gain by a GfK poll last week for the Huddersfield Daily Examiner. This is no doubt one consolation for the Liberals on an otherwise disappointing night that saw them make a net loss of 11 seats.

Wilson was first elected as a Liberal for the predecessor seat of Huddersfield East in 1949, but left the party following its formation of a coalition with the Conservatives in 1960, and thereafter benefited from a pact with the local Labour branch as well as a strong personal vote.

---

1595878568868-png.570060

I love this series in general, but I particularly love you spotlighting the more obscure corners of the DCU.

Have you any htoughts for doing something with the less Earthbound stuff, or with various possible futures, etc.?

Thank you. It's really fun doing research and trying to connected a lot of it into one relatively consistent world.

For a second, I got that mixed up with the Earthbound game series (aka the Mother series in Japan), but yeah I do have some ideas in the back of my head, it's just a matter of finding the right pictures to go along with it. For example, I have an almost completed Dick Grayson infobox, but it's just a matter of finding the right picture of the right person to go along with the box. As for aliens, I know what I want to do with heroes like Starfire and Orion, but, again, it's just a matter of finding the most fitting picture (I cheated a little bit with using a painting of Steel, but I could at least cover that up with the excuse that he's very quiet as far as heroes go).

As for the future, no. I'm setting everything in the "present," aka when I write these posts. One rule I've set is that of no time travelling into the past, because that basically throws everything into flux. So even though that probably means no Booster Gold, no Legion of Superheros, no Terry Mcginnis (according to my notes he's not even born yet), no Eobard Thawne (well...kinda, you'll see eventually), I view all of that as an acceptable compromise for making this world, well, consistent.

Thank you. It's really fun doing research and trying to connected a lot of it into one relatively consistent world.
Fun is not the word I would use, but if it's fun for you, that's excellent.

For a second, I got that mixed up with the Earthbound game series (aka the Mother series in Japan), but yeah I do have some ideas in the back of my head, it's just a matter of finding the right pictures to go along with it. For example, I have an almost completed Dick Grayson infobox, but it's just a matter of finding the right picture of the right person to go along with the box. As for aliens, I know what I want to do with heroes like Starfire and Orion, but, again, it's just a matter of finding the most fitting picture (I cheated a little bit with using a painting of Steel, but I could at least cover that up with the excuse that he's very quiet as far as heroes go).
Yeah, I imagine that might be tricky.

As for the future, no. I'm setting everything in the "present," aka when I write these posts. One rule I've set is that of no time travelling into the past, because that basically throws everything into flux. So even though that probably means no Booster Gold, no Legion of Superheros, no Terry Mcginnis (according to my notes he's not even born yet), no Eobard Thawne (well...kinda, you'll see eventually), I view all of that as an acceptable compromise for making this world, well, consistent.
Fair enough, though it makes me a tad disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.