Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VI (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1930.png

The 1930 American federal election was held on on Thursday, 20 November 1930 to elect members of the House of Representatives of America. None of the parties achieved the 341 seats needed for a majority. The Conservative Party, led by incumbent Prime Minister Charles Curtis, won the largest number of seats, but still fell 7 seats short. This resulted in a hung parliament where no party was able to command a majority in the House of Representatives. The Liberal Party and the Labor Party subsequently formed a minority coalition government, which became a majority government after two Conservative Representatives defected to the Liberal caucus.

As the House of Representatives was nearing the end of its four-year term, the nation was entering its second year of the Great Depression. The
Conservative government led by Charles Curtis was perceived as doing little to solve the crisis, and Curtis' personal popularity was very low. The government was intially applauded for instituting protectionist economic policies, which were intended to limit imports to stimulate the domestic market. However, after the passage of the heavily damaging 1930 Tariff Act, a policy that was bitterly opposed by opposition parties, public opinion turned sharply against the government.

Curtis delayed formally asking Governor General Charles Evans Hughes to dissolve the House until 16 October, hoping that the economy would improve by late 1930. The House of Representatives was subsequently dissolved and a new House would be elected on 20 November.

The election was seen as a referendum on the once popular Conservative business practices, which were eschewed for new Liberal ideas. Republican candidates across the country bore the blame for the economic collapse. In contrast to the Conservatives, the Liberals campaigned on a platform of aggressive measures in order to combat the Great Depression. Liberal leader Cordell Hull promised government help for the impoverished, providing a welcome contrast for many who saw Curtis as a do-nothing Prime Minister. The Labor Party, led by Burton Wheeler, campaigned on a platform of progressive reforms, attacking the Conservatives as the party of particularism and limited government.

After the election senior Conservatives encouraged Curtis to form a minority government, but Curtis declined, arguing that a Conservative-led minority government would be defeated on the floor of the House of Representatives. Curtis resigned as Prime Minister on 28 November, and Governor General Hughes subsequently invited Cordell Hull to form a government. Hull and Wheeler subsequently formed a coalition which was dubbed the Progressive Government. Curtis resigned as Leader of the Conservative Party on 2 December and was succeeded by Simeon Fess. Fess remained interim leader until he was elected leader at the Conservative National Convention in June 1931.

(-snip-)
If Stanley Kubrick was brought back to do 2010...
A little on the fence with this one. What's the extra 30-odd minutes for, the extra parts in the book around the Tsien? That would certainly give a better opportunity to get 2061 a shot at a movie later on. Which would be very likely (or perhaps Rama finally happening), with that box office number.

Still worth the Like of course.

Charestmania
1993 Election

Chretien's term is rather rocky due to lacking a majority, and even with the awkward fit of working with the NDP, the 2 parties together only just have a majority. Charest, like OTL, takes a prominent role in the 1995 Independence Referendum and receives major plaudits for it. Fast forward a few months later to the 1996 budget, and the opposition parties sense an opportunity in the Liberal's EI reforms [1]. The Government is brought down and in the ensuing election, the PCs win a minority government, sweeping Atlantic Canada, knocking the Bloc down to second in Quebec, and doing quite well in the West, especially in Alberta where they win 20 of 26 seats, knocking off Preston Manning in Calgary Southwest and electing Stephen Harper as a floor-crosser in neighbouring Calgary West. However, their minority is still quite narrow, for a few reasons. Their lead in Quebec isn't huge by any means, in fact they only win one more seat than the Bloc and only 5 more than the Liberals, the PCs are still almost dead in Sasketwan and British Columbia, winning a combined 6 seats between the two provinces (though they do have an almost absurd number of close seconds in BC) and most importantly of all, the PCs don't do great in Ontario due to the Liberals reminding voters what the economy was like the last time the PCs were in power. Still, a government is a government, and Charest moves back into 24 Sussex after a 3 year hiatus. Chretien resigns as leader (not that he had much choice in the matter) and is succeeded by Paul Martin. Manning too walks, although I am afraid I don't actually know enough about leading Reform figures of the day to say who would take over after him. Of course, in all the celebrations taking place at PC headquarters, they seem to forget that Charest has taken power with a BTEC version of the Mulroney coalition, and that didn't go very well the last time they tried it.

Charestmania96.png

[1] I don't actually know if the 1996 EI reforms were in that year's budget or in some seperate bill, because all the things I found relating to the reforms were quite vague, but for the sake of the narrative, let's just go with it
Charestmania96Map.png
Charestmania96Ridings.png

Last edited:
Their lead in Quebec isn't huge by any means, in fact they only win one more seat than the Bloc and only 5 more than the Liberals, the PCs are still almost dead in Sasketwan and British Colombia, winning a combined 6 seats between the two provinces (though they do have an almost absurd number of close seconds in BC) and most importantly of all, the PCs don't do great in Ontario due to the Liberals reminding voters what the economy was like the last time the PCs were in power.

I know this is a typo, but it got me thinking of how funny it would be if Colombia were part of Canada and Pablo Escobar made himself a household name by finding a way to add cocaine to maple syrup and then smuggle it into gringo Canada.

thelovebug2029.png
Don't question my casting choices.
  • Brie Larson as Jamie Douglas​
  • Kerry Washington as Carole Bennet​
  • Keegan-Michael Key as Peter Thorndyke​
  • Jordan Peele as Tennessee Steinmetz​

And, yes, I'm well aware Key and Peele would probably be a lot more fun if I gave the role of Havershaw to the latter.

A little on the fence with this one. What's the extra 30-odd minutes for, the extra parts in the book around the Tsien? That would certainly give a better opportunity to get 2061 a shot at a movie later on. Which would be very likely (or perhaps Rama finally happening), with that box office number.

Still worth the Like of course.
I'd figured scenes in 2010, had Kubrick directed it, would've had longer shots so...

Indeed, the Conservatives and Liberals weren't necessarily actual conservatives and liberals during the Gilded Age.

Than why don't you just make your TL's version of the Republicans the Liberals and either leave the Democrats as is or make them the Conservatives? Or just make a completely unique list of leaders separate from OTL given the POD.

Honest to God, the fact that soooooo many people look at the 19th Century Republican Party and anyone associated with it and say "Abraham Lincoln? Yeah, def was a Conservative." It drives me up the wall.

Not trying to attack you in any way (you're not the first to make such an assumption).

Than why don't you just make your TL's version of the Republicans the Liberals and either leave the Democrats as is or make them the Conservatives? Or just make a completely unique list of leaders separate from OTL given the POD.

Honest to God, the fact that soooooo many people look at the 19th Century Republican Party and anyone associated with it and say "Abraham Lincoln? Yeah, def was a Conservative." It drives me up the wall.

Not trying to attack you in any way (you're not the first to make such an assumption).
No, I never made an assumption that you were trying to attack me, quite the contrary. To be honest, I haven't yet made up my mind on the 19th century, so I will consider your suggestion.

Last edited:
MB.png

John Adams, 1st Duke of Boston KG GCB PC FRS was a American statesman, attorney, writer and colonial administrator who served as the first Prime Minister of America, from 1796 to 1812. He served as prime minister for nearly 16 years. Before his premiership, he was a prominent Tory leader during the American Rebellion and served as colonial governor of Massachusetts Bay, from 1780 to 1797. Adams is regarded as the founding father of the Commonwealth of America.

A lawyer and political activist, Adams was devoted to the right to counsel and presumption of innocence. He defied anti-British sentiment and successfully defended British soldiers against murder charges arising from the Boston Massacre. Adams was invited to patricipate in the Continental Congress, but declined and became a principal leader of the Tories after representatives from nine colonies declared independence in 1776. After the defeat of the rebellion, King George III rewarded Adams for his service by elevating him to the newly-created House of Lords of America, becoming the Duke of Boston. Adams was appointed Governor of Massachusetts Bay in 1780. In the 1780s Adams became more liberal and eventually co-founded the Whigs in 1788. Adams became the leader of the movement for responsible government, and became Prime Minister after the establishment of the Commonwealth of America on 8 December 1796.

During his tenure, Adams was criticised by Tories and some of his Whig allies, but Adams is generally ranked among the best prime ministers by historians.

I think the Republicans of the post-Lincoln era were more inclined to support "the establishment" much like the preceding Federalists in regards to protecting industry, etc. Though Lincoln and Freemont were radically in favor of abolition, I think it's largely a myth (on Lincoln's part) to cast him as being a proto-social democrat with an egalitarian nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.