Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VI (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A motion seeking a leadership spill of the federal parliamentary leader of the American Liberal Party and Deputy Leader was proposed in a meeting of the parliamentary Liberal Party on 9 February 2005. Incumbent Liberal Party Leader and Leader of the Opposition Dick Gephardt, member for Eliot in Missouri, and Deputy Leader Mary Landrieu, member for Pinchback in Louisiana, stood in opposition to the motion.

Gephardt had been elected leader unopposed after the Liberal Party lost the 2000 election under Prime Minister Al Gore to the Conservative Party led by George Bush. Gephardt had been the Deputy Prime Minister (and Deputy Leader) during Gore's short premiership lasting from 1999-2000. Gephardt was also the Minister for Foreign Affairs during both the Gore Ministry and the prior Dukakis Ministry (1990-1999) since 1995.

Gephardt led the Liberals into the 2002 and 2004 elections. In 2002, he was successful in keeping the Conservatives in a minority government, making gains and forcing the Conservatives into a confidence and supply agreement with the small right wing-populist National Freedom Party (they would later be renamed The Patriots in 2009). In 2004, Gephardt seeked to highlight the confidence agreement with the NFP as a dangerous precedent for America. However, bolstered by the popularity of increased terrorism security initiatives after the attempted Bombing of The Empire State Building in 2003, The Conservatives won a slim majority in the House of Representatives.

Having lost two elections in a row, Gephardt was expected to resign. However, Gephardt indicated his intention to continue on as leader, as he believed instability in leadership would lead to an even bigger Conservative victory, as well as his personal approval ratings being higher than that of the party itself (this would not last, however). Many in the parliamentary party were seeking new leadership, and tensions began within the party room.

Things came to a head in early 2005, the newly formed Progressive Democratic Party (PDP), created out of the rump Social Democratic Party and other small left-leaning groups, and led by the charismatic ex-SDP MP Paul Wellstone, had begun to eat into the Liberal vote, reaching 15-20% in the opinion polls, and with Wellstone being favored by more Americans as the preferred Prime Minister rather than Gephardt. Gephardt, whose leadership was firmly in the center, began to see a revolt amongst the Liberal Left. Many on the Liberal Left felt as though younger, more progressive leadership was necessary to counteract the PDP and bring new voters into the fold. Discussions were held on who should challenge should challenge Gephardt for the leadership. The discussions all led to one man: Jim McGreevey.

McGreevey had been the MP for the seat of Raritan in New Jersey since the 1992 Election, and steadily rose up the ranks of the Liberal party room. He had been the Minister for Prisons during the last two years of the Dukakis Ministry, and became Shadow Minister for Justice and Attorney General in 2000. To most Americans, however, he was best known as being one of the first legislators in the world to be openly gay, having come out during a debate on marriage in 1996. On the 28th of January 2005, McGreevey resigned from the Shadow Ministry, citing disagreements with the direction of leadership. Many on the Liberal left were proposing in private to McGreevey that he should challenge for the leadership of the party, with the full support of a large swath of members of the party room. On the 7th of February, he did exactly that. Announcing in a press conference, McGreevey stated that he had met with Gephardt and advised him that he intended to challenge for the leadership of the Liberal Party. With poll numbers looking bleak and McGreevey besting both Wellstone AND Bush in favorability (a main contention of those against the continuation of Gephardt's leadership), many senior Liberal figures made the jump from Gephardt. Gephardt had no choice but to call for a Leadership spill motion to be held during a meeting of the party room on the 9th of February. Gephardt stated that if the motion were to pass, he would not contest the leadership ballot. On the 9th of February, the 363 Liberal members of the House of Representatives, along with the 42 Liberal members of the Senate voted in the spill motion. Gephardt had lost, 211 votes to 194.
9b5d47a80a834cec46e428907752bb52.png

Having lost the spill motion, Gephardt kept his promise, and announced he would not contest the leadership ballot, and would be resigning from politics all together in the coming weeks. On the ensuing leadership ballot, Deputy Leader Mary Landrieu stood in opposition to McGreevey. As a loyal supporter of Gephardt, she felt as though those he had been slighted by McGreevey, who Gephardt saw as a mentee. Most of the Gephardt supporters, many of them in the True Liberal (centrist) faction of the party, voted for Landrieu on the ballot, but McGreevey maintained the support of most who voted for the spill motion, becoming Leader of the Liberal Party and Leader of the Opposition by a vote of 214-190 (with just 1 member–Gephardt–not voting.) With this vote, McGreevey became the first openly gay political party leader in American history, as well as one of the first in world history. However, Landrieu after her defeat would subsequently be appointed Shadow Minister for Home Affairs in the McGreevey Shadow Ministry, as an act of goodwill between the two candidates.

e8e30b012a5563d041bf157a06e8ab3e.png

Due to Landrieu standing for the leadership instead of contesting the Deputy Leadership, a ballot for the Deputy Leadership of the Liberal Party was then subsequently held. McGreevey did not explicitly name a deputy leadership candidate he supported. Most of the Liberal Left (who comprised an overwhelming majority of McGreevey's vote) supported Allyson Schwartz, the member for Neshaminy in Pennsylvania and Shadow Minister for Health (It would be later revealed that McGreevey had in fact voted for Schwartz in the election). However, two other candidates declared their intent to seek the Deputy Leadership. Chet Edwards, the Shadow Minister for Veterans' Affairs and member for McLennan in Texas was a True Liberal Hardliner and staunch Gephardt supporter was another candidate, who garnered some votes from other pro-Gephardt members. The third candidate was Stephanie Herseth, the member for Mellette in South Dakota since the 2000 election and Shadow Minister for Agriculture. Herseth was aligned with the True Liberal Faction, but was seen positively by many members of the Liberal Left. Herseth seeked to place herself in the middle, winning votes from those who wanted Geographic (many in the party did not want two urban, northeast leaders) and factional balance. On the first ballot, Schwartz won a plurality of the votes with 186 members supporting her, but was almost 40 votes behind McGreevey's total in the leadership ballot. Herseth was strong with 172 votes, showing that she had a combination of True Liberal and Liberal Left support. Edwards received 46 votes from other hardline True Liberals. On the second ballot, most of Edward's votes were taken up by Herseth, giving her a victory of 207-197 (with 1 member–again Gephardt–not voting). Herseth then became the youngest Deputy Leader in the history of the Liberal Party, at aged 35.
a0f72f18c644d5b4bbda3d3319b37e62.png

McGreevey and Herseth, after the ballots, held a press conference, where they proclaimed their tandem leadership as a "New Era" for the Liberal Party. Opinion polls after the spills showed that McGreevey and Herseth were the most popular politicians in the country, and shortly after their election the Liberals rebounded in the polls as well. In the eventual election held in 2008, The Liberal Party would win in a landslide against the Conservatives, allowing McGreevey and Herseth to be sworn in as Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister, respectively. With this win, McGreevey became the world's first openly gay head of state, and just the second ever Prime Minister of America from New Jersey (after Winfield Scott became Prime Minister in 1844). Herseth would eventually relinquish the Deputy Leadership in 2012 after her defeat in Mellette in that year's election. She would be succeeded by Gabrielle Giffords. McGreevey would face a leadership spill of his own in 2013, of which he won handily. He would remain Prime Minister until his 2018 election defeat at the hands of the Conservatives led by Marco Rubio. Giffords succeeded McGreevey as leader unopposed.​

Last edited:
The multiverse of madness

WARNING: spoilers for the following series:

The West Wing
House of Cards (BBC)
Kanzleramt
Co2
House of Cards (Netflix)
Borgen (new season included)
Bodyguard
Baron Noir
Parlement

Hi there, I am someone who enjoys political fiction and I just had the dumb idea to gather as many fictional leaders from the same period as possible in an imaginary G7 and a G8

Obviously, these are entirely different universes, and those who appreciate these series will be able to point out some major inconsistencies. There is however another problem, the fact that fictional leaders are not available for certain countries at certain times (even if Berlusconi is credible as a fictional character) or that on the contrary in other countries there are so many of them that the choice becomes difficult (yes I'm looking at you America and your 50 000 action stories that involve a forgettable but vaguely patriotic president whose favorite pastime is to be taken hostage by any organization with a red and black logo or to solve the slightest unknown obstacle with a hydrogen bomb).

For the US I chose to take the presidents of the two series that left the biggest mark on the political fiction genre (even if I hate the Netflix House of Cards and I was very tempted to give Selina Meyer from Veep her 5 minutes of fame).

If you have any suggestions for fictitious leaders for countries for which I have not found any, or comments or questions on some of my choices, I will gladly answer them.

G8.png
G7 séries.png

Last edited:

The West Wing
House of Cards (BBC)
Kanzleramt
Co2
House of Cards (Netflix)
Bodyguard
Baron Noir
Parlement

Hi there, I am someone who enjoys political fiction and I just had the dumb idea to gather as many fictional leaders from the same period as possible in an imaginary G7 and a G8

Obviously, these are entirely different universes, and those who appreciate these series will be able to point out some major inconsistencies. There is however another problem, the fact that fictional leaders are not available for certain countries at certain times (even if Berlusconi is credible as a fictional character) or that on the contrary in other countries there are so many of them that the choice becomes difficult (yes I'm looking at you America and your 50 000 action stories that involve a forgettable but vaguely patriotic president whose favorite pastime is to be taken hostage by any organization with a red and black logo or to solve the slightest unknown obstacle with a hydrogen bomb in civilian areas).

For the US I chose to take the presidents of the two series that left the biggest mark on the political fiction genre (even if I hate the Netflix House of Cards and I was very tempted to give Selina Meyer from Veep her 5 minutes of fame).

If you have any suggestions for fictitious leaders for countries for which I have not found any, or comments or questions on some of my choices, I will gladly answer them.

View attachment 747736View attachment 747737
Another good fictional leader would be the leader of South Korea in Designated Survivor: 60 Days, or just Kirkman himself in Designated Survivor

Another good fictional leader would be the leader of South Korea in Designated Survivor: 60 Days, or just Kirkman himself in Designated Survivor
I watched and enjoyed Park Mu-jin's story but I preferred to stick to a G7 format, otherwise why have a list of these countries leaders and not others?

It's true that Kirkman could have been interesting but still fictional American presidents are so many

The West Wing
House of Cards (BBC)
Kanzleramt
Co2
House of Cards (Netflix)
Bodyguard
Baron Noir
Parlement

Obviously, these are entirely different universes, and those who appreciate these series will be able to point out some major inconsistencies. There is however another problem, the fact that fictional leaders are not available for certain countries at certain times (even if Berlusconi is credible as a fictional character) or that on the contrary in other countries there are so many of them that the choice becomes difficult (yes I'm looking at you America and your 50 000 action stories that involve a forgettable but vaguely patriotic president whose favorite pastime is to be taken hostage by any organization with a red and black logo or to solve the slightest unknown obstacle with a hydrogen bomb).

View attachment 747736View attachment 747737
If you wanted a fictional Italian prime minister, it would have been quite funny to see Giuseppe 'Peppino' Garibaldi from the cheesy political comedy film series Benvenuto Presidente! and Bentornato Presidente.

TWICE upon a VELVET PINK MOON
or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Stanned Loona
(where I put K-pop idols in governmental positions because I ran out of ideas a long time ago)

WzsAhRU.jpg

I posted this on SLP but I might as well post it here too.

Some Notes:
  • The idea came about after Erin suggested a President Chou Tzu-yu for China in a Discord server (and also dragged me to the loonaverse). Things quickly spiraled out of control after that.
  • The Chinas and Koreas are united. How? Butterflies
  • The PoD is that Section 44 of the Australian Constitution doesn't exist. This solves both a) Rosé's dual citizenship and ii) what the PoD is. How does the non-existence of Section 44 lead to all of this? Also butterflies. And magic.
  • and of course, don't take this seriously; I don't claim to know the political inclinations nor ambitions of any K-pop idol ever.
TWICE upon a VELVET PINK MOON: IT'Z MY NATION
(because when I said I ran out of ideas a long time ago I meant it)
flaAZVb.png
Some Notes:
  • Yes, I know there are issues re: citizenship and all that...
    ...they are handwaved and ASBed away
  • and of course, once again, don't take this seriously; I don't claim to know the political inclinations nor ambitions of any K-pop idol ever.

Page 38: The 1867 Confederate States presidential election
* Page 307: The 1867 Confederate States presidential election in South Carolina
* Page 310: The 1867 Confederate States presidential election in Alabama
* Page 311: The 1867 Confederate States presidential election in Arkansas
* Page 312: The 1867 Confederate States presidential election in Florida
* Page 314: The 1867 Confederate States presidential election in Georgia
* Page 315: The 1867 Confederate States presidential election in Kentucky
* Page 316: The 1867 Confederate States presidential election in Louisiana
* Page 317; The 1867 Confederate States presidential election in Mississippi
* Page 319: The 1867 Confederate States presidential election in North Carolina
* Page 319: The 1867 Confederate States presidential election in Tennessee
* Page 320: The 1867 Confederate States presidential election in Texas
* Page 320: The 1867 Confederate States presidential election in Virginia
* Page 330: The 1867 Confederate States presidential election table
Page 39: The 1864 United States presidential election
* Page 321: The 1864 United States presidential election in Vermont
* Page 324: The 1864 United States presidential election in New Hampshire
* Page 325: The 1864 United States presidential election in Maine
* Page 325: The 1864 United States presidential election in Massachusetts
* Page 326: The 1864 United States presidential election in Rhode Island
* Page 328: The 1864 United States presidential election in Connecticut
* Page 331: The 1864 United States presidential election in New York
* Page 336: The 1864 United States presidential elections in both New Jersey and Delaware
* Page 339: The 1864 United States presidential election in Pennsylvania
* Page 341: The 1864 United States presidential election in Maryland
* Page 343: The 1864 United States presidential election in West Virginia (you are here)

The 1864 United States presidential election in West Virginia in Harry Turtledove's The Guns of the South

1864USAGOTSWV1.png

1864USAGOTSWV2.png

The 1864 United States presidential election in West Virginia took place on November 8, 1864, as part of the 1864 United States presidential election. Voters chose five representatives, or electors to the Electoral College, who voted for president and vice president.

West Virginia would participate in its first ever presidential election, having gained statehood as the 35th state of the United States on June 20, 1863.

The Mountain State would vote for the Republican candidate, incumbent President Abraham Lincoln, over the three other candidates, Democratic candidate Horatio Seymour, Radical Republican candidate John C. Frémont and Independent candidate George B. McClellan.

Lincoln would win West Virginia by a margin of 22.63%, making it one of his strongest states.

Last edited:
1940 Argentine General Election
1946 Argentina General Election (No Coup).png

The 1946 Argentine General Elections were held on October 20, 1946. It marked the Radical Civic Union's return to power after its defeat in 1940, and plunged the outgoing ruling party, the National Democrats, into an even deeper crisis of purpose than the death of its founder had when Roca Jr. passed away in late 1942. Having won the presidency on the back of his personal credibility and the popularity of his illustrious last name, the loss of Roca as a unifying figure unleashed unprecedented infighting in the conservative party, especially as it dealt with his decision to join Brazil in declaring war on the Axis and the disappointment that his term in office would be finished by a latecomer to the party like the antipersonalist radical Hortensio Quijano.

To make matters worse for the PDN, the Radicals - who had hit a nadir in 1942, as Roca lead his party to a resounding legislative triumph and consigned the UCR to a third consecutive defeat for the first time in its history, and its longtime leader Marcelo Alvear passed away soon after - had recovered their sense of purpose in opposition to Quijano's presidency, which hewed too close to Radical reformism for his party's leaders while still skewing too heavily conservative for his one-time coreligionists. The Radical party had embarked on a soul-searching journey even before Roca's death, culminating in the party's historic 1943 National Convention held in Paraná.

The party program that emerged from that Convention, dubbed the Paraná Manifesto, sought to recover the party's roots as a party that challenged the institutional status quo and spearheaded sweeping reforms: it included not just a demand for women's suffrage - which, to their credit, would likewise be endorsed in the PDN's platform for the 1946 election - but went further still, proposing the abolition of the electoral college for the president as well as for the senate in addition to the implementation of electoral reform and proportional representation. The bold program struck a chord in the electorate, especially as the nation was swept up in the ideological fervor whipped up by World War 2, and the party's emphatic win at the 1944 legislative elections were a harbinger of things to come.

When the party came together to announce its presidential ticket, it settled on two faces of the party's ascendant reformist wing: Amadeo Sabattini of Córdoba and Mario Campero of Tucumán, both men who had started their career in the party under Yrigoyen's leadership and had risen from the city council to the provincial government of their respective provinces in the years since. The NDP for its part would ultimately shed its last vestiges of antipersonalist radical roots, likewise selecting two governors for its ticket as it fell to Robustiano Patrón Costas of Salta and Reynaldo Pastor of Buenos Aires to square off against the UCR. The choice of Patrón Costas and Pastor however accentuated one of the internal divides of the party, namely their support for Roca's decision to join the Allies, and the party bled votes to the far-right as a result - with Pedro Pablo Ramirez's second candidacy picking up twice as many votes as his 1940 run.

Although the UCR picked up swing voters from the PDN, it likewise bled votes to an insurgent party on its flank, but for different reasons: while the PDN saw more hardline nationalists abandon the party over its stance on WW2, the UCR lost votes on its left as the Popular Front - now lead by the Socialist Party with the death of Lisandro de la Torre and bolstered significantly by a much stronger labor movement behind it - also improved on its 1940 tally and continued to eat away at the Radical majority in the Federal Capital as well as Santa Fe (where it beat the National Democrats for 2nd place and recouped the 3 seats the Progressive Democrats had lost 6 years earlier).

Just as the world emerged from the Second World War profoundly transformed by the experience, Argentina likewise took huge strides under Sabattini's presidency as the UCR once more lead the country down the path of institutional reform. But the Democrats' poor performance left a bitter taste in the mouth of its leaders, and soon the anglophilic tendencies of the conservative establishment was placed on a collision course with the rightward trend of its voters and up and coming leaders. The Cold War would also lead to new challenges for Argentine democracy, especially as European fascism began to be rehabilitated abroad and at home and as the once-marginal Communist Party of Argentina found a sponsor with seemingly bottomless pockets. The center still held in 1946, but the cracks were showing at the extremes...

Last edited:
hypkHEz_d.webp

In 2082, a consortium led by the United States, European Federation, and the Chinese State launched the first ever Interstellar Expedition. The International Star Ship Beacon, departed from orbit around the moon, beginning the long journey to colonize Alpha Centauri A, which was confirmed as habitable. Despite massive advances in propulsion technology, the trip would still take 150 years, requiring the construction of a Generation Ship. The Beacon was a truly massive ship, with six giant ring structures providing artificial gravity and well as massive engines. One ring was reserved for equipment to be used upon colonization. Another was for intensive hydroponic agriculture. The third was a “recreation zone” for colonists. The remaining 3 rings served has Habitation Units. Initially the Beacon bore 25,000 Passengers and Crew, with careful plans to expand the population over time to reach 100,000 by the time the ship reached its destination.

The Beacon was under the Command of Captain Benedict Tuttle, at the head of a large Crew in charge of keeping the ship running. The majority of the contingent however, were not specialists instead working unskilled positions or not at all. Rations were doled out, along with time recreation and other perks. The Voyage started with high spirits.

But 30 years in, tensions have built. A new generation of those born aboard the Beacon, "shippies" have entered the ship's popularion, and chafe against their elders. The population has been rising, as according to plan, but many still find the ship overly cramped. Said population control was also controversial. Most acknowledged that some measures to avoid inbreeding and overpopulation, but the process to have children, or even relations, was unbearably cumbersome for most. Many feel stifled by the strict regimen of ship life. Strict control over rations was a topic of resentment. A divide had also emerged between "Crew" and "Colonists." Crew members were nominally to be selected based on merit, but were seen as getting unfair perks. In addition it was noted that children of Crew members were seen as more likely to be selected as Crew, undermining faith in the system. Concerns were also guven about Crew Security's contact. The Black Market was a thriving part of Beacon life, but toleration was uneven with those close to Crew members often getting let off, while less well connected figures faced crackdowns. Captain Tuttle had long consulted Colonists informally, but this was becoming insufficient.

Protests soon emerged. Prominent Passengers formed the Citzen's Association, organizing campaigns in support of holding an election for a representative body to represent the full population. The CA found the most support among those who felt the need for reform was present, but still felt the crew earned respect. The CA also enjoyed ties with many of the more respectable black market activities, like recreation voucher swaps and recycled tailoring. Other black market types drifted towards the CA as well, although leadership kept them at arm's length as well.

In early 2111 Tuttle retired and the Colony Council, a group of crew that selected its own membership, selected Heinrich Becker, a German National who had been 25 when the ship launched as the new Captain. Hopes were high that this would bring change. And it would, but not before more incidents occurred. Later that year inhabitant of Hab Ring 2, Gus Hall, hung a banner reading "LET US VOTE HEINIE" outside his living quarters. Security officers, acting on their own volition, beat and arrested Hall. This sparked major protests, including a 3 day sit-in at the Recreation Ring. Becker conceded the point and created a Shipwide Council. Each Hab Ring would elect 10 representatives, along pre-existing section lines. The Council was strictly advisory, but it was a start.

Initially there was hope that the election would be strictly non-partisan, but those hopes were soon dashed when a split emerged in the CA. Ironically this was because leadership in the Alliance was in favor of not endorsing candidates to keep the election non-partisan. However a vocal minority, led by Lu de Groot, one of the organizers of the sit-in wished the CA to take a more active role. When this did not occur, de Groot and their followers left the Citzen's Association.

de Groot, a street sweeper who had been a child when the ship launched, formed the Movement for Opportunity, Rights, and Equality, or MORE. They pushed for a very forthright platform. Citizen oversight of Crew conduct. Juries for accused crimes. The right of citizens to pursue their own choice of work and partners. Ultimate authority over ship operations as well. MORE was not so radical as to think they could just take over the ship from those trained to operate it, but they did think that the priorities of ship life should be set by the people.

This breakaway forced the Citizen's Alliance to move towards an organized stand. Having shed its most radical members, the CA took a moderate tack. Representation and oversight for the population, although no demands for power emerged. The CA's signature platform plank soon became allowing the transfer and storage of ration vouchers, both for food and recreation, which would kickstart a non-black market economy. The Alliance selected Edward Hutchinson, a popular fitness instructor in the Rec Ring, as the face of their campaign.

Faced with two challengers, the Crew and their allies scrambled to create an organization to push their viewpoint. The haste with which the Beacon Residents Association was formed perhaps explained it's English language acronym. The Association was very much the party of "keep on keeping on." Crack down on the black market, keep power with the professionals. To this end they nominated a Crew member as leader, Deputy Chief Engineer Dai Xiang.

The Beacon had largely been funded and built by European, American, and Chinese sources, and all of these groups were well represented in the crew and all three parties. The largest other groups was South Asians, Indians were the largest group, but Sri Lanka and Bangladesh were also represented. Without a presence in the crew the groups often felt isolated and gained a reputation for insularity among some, congregating in two specific sectors in Hab Ring 2. Feeling left out by the 3 main parties, Chandar Joshi, who operated a technically illegal but still wildly popular restaurant, organized the South Asian Congress, to stand up for the Community's interest.

Amanda Palmer had been the first child born after the ship had departed, turning her into a minor celebrity, and a community leader among shippies. However starting in her late teens, Palmer began to attract controversy. Palmer began preaching that those aboard the Beacon were the "chosen" destined to "begin the next stage of human evolution." She declared that they were leaving the "false light" of Earth's sun in favor of the "true light" of Alpha Centauri. "True Light," became the name of her movement, and in 2110 she changed her name to Vox Centauri. Although derided as a cult by many and facing security crackdowns, True Light would enter candidates in the race. The actual platform was vague, mostly dealing with cutting ties to the decadence of Earth and embracing a new vision of the future.

In the beginning the Citizen’s Alliance was widely expected to coast to victory, with the Beacon Residents Association as the only other major player. However MORE, and in particular Lu de Groot proved formidable campaigners. de Groot drew large clouds wherever they spoke, and imbued a passion that was lacking in the other candidates. MORE also positioned itself as the only group willing to support the back rings, where those most disaffected had wound up congregating. de Groot also hit upon the winning slogan of “for the future” saying that Shipwide democracy was the only way to ensure that the eventual Alpha Centauri colony did not wind up an autocracy ruled by the descendants of the Crew.

Hutchinson and the Citizen’s Alliance pushed back with claims that MORE were radicals who would be unable to engage with the Crew and produce meaningful results. Hutchinson, while lacking de Groot’s raw charisma, proved capable enough. A strong, slick, ad campaign targeted different voters well, and the Alliance would be the only party to pick up seats from every Hab Ring.

In contrast, Dai’s campaign floundered from the outset. The Association was mostly made up of crew members, their families, and allies who made up a decent chunk of the ship’s population. However Dai failed to expand past this base, coming across as aloof an out of touch, his engineering duties often removing him from the trail. He also made several comments about de Groot’s plans leading the ship to destruction that came across as threats by the Crew at sabotage, a fact not helped by the Association’s official logo looking very much like a bullseye.

Despite pleas from the Dai campaign, Captain Becker, who was still personally popular, refused to make endorsements. While the Crew were well known to be Dai men, and often leaned on their prestige to support it, no official backing would come.

Outside of de Groot themselves, Vox Centauri was the most passionate campaigner, speaking across the ship about a need for a new type of thinking. She criticized the major parties for falling into the old traps of “left right and center” rather than thinking “upwards towards the light.” Centauri could count on the lockstep support of her cult/religious followers, which grew thanks to increased publicity from the campaign.

Joshi did not leave Hab Ring 2 for the duration of the campaign, focusing on local connections.

The results were considered surprising. As expected the large, well known and well established Citizen’s Alliance polled both atop the popular votes, and gained the most Council seats. However they failed to secure a majority in either, which was very much a disappointment considering early expectations. MORE achieving a close second was even more stunning, most having suspected a distant third. In their election night speech de Groot declared a “new era.” The Residents Association’s failure was felt hard among the Crew, leaving Captain Becker with much less leverage than expected. Dai would resign as the party’s council leader shortly thereafter. Despite not even getting 3% of the vote overall, the South Asian Congress was, thanks to First Past the Post, able to secure two seats on the council. In contrast the electoral system hurt True Light significantly. Despite securing over 10% of the vote, the movement/party would only manage one seat. Centauri herself would be defeated, but her acolyte Nick Hu would snag a seat. True Light’s strong performance was seen as concerning by many, especially since it had polled best among young voters.

Many observers expected Hutchinson to either use the still ill defined system to assume a leadership role without a majority, or pursue a “coalition of change” with de Groot and MORE. However, after discussions with Becker, and mindful of the fact that radicals like de Groot and Centauri had unexpected popularity, the Citizen’s Alliance instead entered into an agreement with the Residents Association. Many cried betrayal, but Hutchinson was thus duly elected Speaker of the Shipwide Council by a 20-9-1 margin, with the South Asian Congress joining the majority.

Hutchinson’s first task would be defining the role he and the council occupied, as well as building a working relationship with Captain Becker. Time would tell if democracy would become a truth aboard the Beacon…

WARNING: THIS IS NOT A DRILL. WARNING: THIS IS NOT A DRILL
1654590025915.jpeg

1654590236237.jpeg

The clouds are just something out of this world... They're like pillars connecting to a dark and endless black void of a sky. I haven't seen a start in 4 months.

The camps grow by the day. 20,000 in Lancaster PA, 50,000 in Greenburg NY, 100,000 in Quincy, MA. These people need food, clean water and shelter and we don't have enough!

Violence continues as the siege of Hamburg enters its second year. Reports of extreme violence and even cannibalism are hard to verify, but quickly spreading...

There comes a point where you just realize nobody is coming to help, and people just start to remake things in their own way. I tell you, its like the wild west all over again.
1654590200968.jpeg

1654590268558.jpeg

Have you or a family member experienced carcinogenic symptoms in the last 5 years? You might be entitled to economic aid from the Recovery Fund. Contact...

News stories continue to come out of the East Asia, as the violence seems to continue to no end. Red fights Red fights Red from the arctic Siberian wastes to the Gobi desert in a period of warlordism not seen since the Mongol Era.

The simple fact Mr. President is that these camps were meant to be temporary solutions. These people still have rights, and they're being forgotten.

Remember, it is the duty of every American from age 16 to 24 to enlist within the Military for a tour of Duty helping protect and rebuild your great nation. Attempting to run from your obligation is a federal offense.

1654591066071.jpeg

1654591075814.jpeg

Frankly I will not stand for this invasion of our sovereign territory. An Australian Carrier in San Francisco, A Brazilian Jumbo Jet in Chesapeake Bay. Their promises of Aid are just gunboat diplomacy. This is still a great country, and by God I will not tolerate their presence here!

Any kind of Americana you want, you can get it if you're willing to pay. You can buy a piece of the Empire State Building or the Brooklyn Bridge in Sidney. I got a friend who owns the original H from the Hollywood sign. Keeps it on display on his farm in Pretoria. A couple months ago, and I'm not shitting you, they managed to get Lady Liberty's Torch out. Sold for 20 mil in Rio. Its all irradiated to shit of course. But hey, what the fuck isn't nowadays?!​

Attachments

• 1654590139035.png
    1654590139035.png
    173.9 KB · Views: 139
WARNING: THIS IS NOT A DRILL. WARNING: THIS IS NOT A DRILL
View attachment 748061
View attachment 748065
The clouds are just something out of this world... They're like pillars connecting to a dark and endless black void of a sky. I haven't seen a start in 4 months.

The camps grow by the day. 20,000 in Lancaster PA, 50,000 in Greenburg NY, 100,000 in Quincy, MA. These people need food, clean water and shelter and we don't have enough!

Violence continues as the siege of Hamburg enters its second year. Reports of extreme violence and even cannibalism are hard to verify, but quickly spreading...

There comes a point where you just realize nobody is coming to help, and people just start to remake things in their own way. I tell you, its like the wild west all over again.
View attachment 748063
View attachment 748066
Have you or a family member experienced carcinogenic symptoms in the last 5 years? You might be entitled to economic aid from the Recovery Fund. Contact...

News stories continue to come out of the East Asia, as the violence seems to continue to no end. Red fights Red fights Red from the arctic Siberian wastes to the Gobi desert in a period of warlordism not seen since the Mongol Era.

The simple fact Mr. President is that these camps were meant to be temporary solutions. These people still have rights, and they're being forgotten.

Remember, it is the duty of every American from age 16 to 24 to enlist within the Military for a tour of Duty helping protect and rebuild your great nation. Attempting to run from your obligation is a federal offense.

View attachment 748079
View attachment 748080
Frankly I will not stand for this invasion of our sovereign territory. An Australian Carrier in San Francisco, A Brazilian Jumbo Jet in Chesapeake Bay. Their promises of Aid are just gunboat diplomacy. This is still a great country, and by God I will not tolerate their presence here!

Any kind of Americana you want, you can get it if you're willing to pay. You can buy a piece of the Empire State Building or the Brooklyn Bridge in Sidney. I got a friend who owns the original H from the Hollywood sign. Keeps it on display on his farm in Pretoria. A couple months ago, and I'm not shitting you, they managed to get Lady Liberty's Torch out. Sold for 20 mil in Rio. Its all irradiated to shit of course. But hey, what the fuck isn't nowadays?!​
Gosh, did a nuclear apocalypse happen here?

Status
Not open for further replies.