Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VI (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr Memer

Banned
Inspired by the news that Russia has fined Google $100 million for failing to remove content banned by Roskomnadzor.

U19aPZ6.png

iaww4nD.png
ah yes my favourite website googol

Am I The Only One To Think That It Looks Like The White House
You're not. my friend said the same thing when I showed it to him. It's in Ireland mind you but looks a lot like the white house.
You’re not the only one as it’s a common myth that the man who designed the original White House, Irish architect James Hoban, based his designs on the Viceregal Lodge/Áras an Uachtaráin (the Lodge is about 40 years older the White House). He actually based it on what is now the Irish legislature building (Leinster House) and it was later additions by other architects that made the White House look more like the Lodge.

Last edited:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
I thought mr Memer was in a fishing trip that would expire in three years. It seems that it ended earlier.
I screwed up when I sent him off and didn't reset the default time for the action.

Then he came back and went straight back to 6th grade playground.

Game over.

I screwed up when I sent him off and didn't reset the default time for the action.

Then he came back and went straight back to 6th grade playground.

Game over.
The fact he apparently failed to conceive that you weren't "letting him off" when he was suddenly allowed back without explanation or even contact speaks to a lack of maturity as well. Especially as most grownups granted that probably wouldn't look the gift horse in the month so thoroughly and quickly.

One less troll means more time discussing and experiencing quality, well-thought out infoboxes and lore rather than having to deal with a 9-year old who thinks that he is the absolute funniest thing ever.

Last edited:
1641591603831.png

The 1989 Czechoslovak parliamentary election was held on the 24th September 1989 to elect 300 members to the Czechoslovak National Assembly, and would be the final election called while Václav Havel was Prime Minister and Alexander Alexander Dubček was President.

The OLS government led by Havel, which had secured a two-thirds majority combined with its allies in 1985, was running for re-election to a third term, but its second term had seen considerably more controversy than its first. Foremost among this controversy was Havel’s decision to give a speech on the 28th October 1985, 40 years to the day after Edvard Beneš announced the ‘final solution of the German question’ that ensured the state-sanctioned expulsion of the Sudeten Germans from Czechoslovakia, which served as a condemnation of the brutality of their treatment and a call for reconciliation with both halves of Germany. West German Chancellor Helmut Kohl and East German head of state Erich Honecker both responded positively to this, but it damaged Havel’s image within Czechoslovakia.

Other issues which courted controversy were Havel trying to introduce some of the world’s first major environmentalist reforms, which many at the time felt were overly alarmist and would damage Czechoslovak industry, and a breakdown in relations with the ČSL after Josef Bartončík became its leader significantly damaging the government's majority in the National Assembly. To try to revive his party’s popularity, Bartončík advocated for socially conservative reforms like repealing the country’s abortion laws, but Havel and Dubček repeatedly blocked these, ultimately causing the ČSL to withdraw support for the government in early 1987.

While the government’s majority was cushioned by the DLS merging into the OLS in 1987, Havel found the party’s leader Václav Klaus very difficult to work with, as Klaus was considerably more right-wing economically and found common cause with many members of the OLS’s right, threatening Havel’s leadership. Havel frequently overruled Klaus on economic affairs and kept him from the Finance Minister position he desired, giving the impression of a divided government.

Meanwhile, fragmentation on the opposition side was also a considerable problem. Jiří Horák, the new ČSSD leader, tried to pry the ČSNS away from the governing coalition and reform the traditional ‘left-wing bloc’ between the two social democratic parties, but struggled to find common ground with its leader František Trnka and a meeting where he angrily denounced Trnka was leaked to the press, humiliating him. His refusal to resign further compromised his position.

In addition, new opposition forces had started emerging. The most popular of these with the public, if not necessarily voters, was the Orange Party (Oranžová strana, OS), a joke party formed by the surrealist Egon Bondy (the psuedonym of Zbyněk Fišer). Unlike most joke parties, the Orange Party had a semi-serious connection, as it was named in homage to the Orange Alternative, an anti-authoritarian protest movement in Poland which used absurdist tactics like painting graffiti of dwarves over propagandistic slogans, distributing toilet paper and, the summer before the Czech election, holding a march in the city of Wrocław of 10,000 people wearing orange dwarf hats. Along with the type of absurd policies you might expect from a joke party like changing Czechoslovakia's flag to be entirely orange and inviting the House of Orange to rule the country as a constitutional monarchy, the party pledged to recognise the Orange Alternative as the legitimate government of Poland (though this was a joke in and of itself since the Alternative was so decentralised and anarchic).

Another party which fought its first election and enjoyed minor success was the Green Party (Strana zelených, SZ), the founder of which, Juraj Mesík, aligned with the OLS from early in the party’s existence. While this made the party a figure of aggressive mockery from the left (and the Orange Party), it allowed it to secure several seats in the National Assembly. Political scientists have sometimes compared the Czechoslovakian Greens to those in countries like Mexico or Brazil where their connections to larger parties are a major part of their relative electoral success.

In any case, despite the election proving more fractious for the OLS than 1985 had, Havel still managed to just about retain a majority in the National Assembly with support from the ČSNS, Coexistence and the Greens, though the ČSSD and ČSL enjoyed some level of recovery and both were by now clearly hostile to Havel on most matters. Consequently, the infighting that had been seen on a small level in the OLS prior to the election would be exacerbated considerably in the 1989-93 term.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.