Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VI (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

The 2021 Rugby World Cup kicked off on 17 September 2021. It was the tenth edition of the quadrennial world championship for men’s rugby union. It was hosted in the Empire of China (which in 2020, announced that after discussions, several matches would be hosted in the Republic of Hong Kong), and was the first Rugby World Cup to be hosted in Asia.

QUEFmwc.png

The top three teams from each pool of the 2017 World Cup automatically qualified for 2021, with China receiving a placement as the host nation. Six of the remaining seven spots were filled by regional qualifying tournaments, with the last determined by a play-off tournament. The four pools for the the World Cup were as follows:

OmVTkeM.png

After pool play finished, the top two teams from each pool advanced to the knockout stage.

vGwZaCx.png

The quarter-finals saw host-nation China defeated by a strong Ireland side, and the defending champion Australia side defeat Japan, despite the latter pulling into a first-half lead. The quarter-finals also saw two highly contested, incredibly hard fought matches, California vs. England and Vietnam vs. France. The California vs. England match, which saw California score the winning try and successful conversion with three minutes of play remaining, and thereafter pin England behind its own 22-meter line, is widely considered to be one of the biggest upsets in the history of rugby. France’s loss to Vietnam was decided by a single drop goal from Vietnam’s scrum-half, Pham Vinh, a World Cup record 51-meter attempt; the hit went viral an hour after upload to VidAfe, obtaining ten million views within 24 hours. France’s loss to Vietnam led to disappointment for hopefuls for a 2001 redemption rematch.

In the semi-finals, Australia continued its march along the path to a repeat championship, decisively defeating the California side, never trailing from the start of play. Vietnam continued its own Cinderella story, defeating the Irish side in another close, trench-battle match. In the match to decide third place, Ireland eventually defeated California after a high-scoring shootout, bringing a somewhat disappointing end to California’s resurgence from rugby purgatory, though Coach Rowan Lehner, in a statement to North American sports press, declared his pride in his side’s showing.

The final saw Australia and Vietnam - David and Goliath, Jack and the Giant - face each other down in Peking International Stadium, to a roaring crowd of over 110,000, the largest crowd on record for a rugby match. The world of rugby was divided roughly evenly between those cheering on the Wallabies to become the first side to win back-to-back World Cups, and those rooting for the underdog Golden Dragons to take their phenomenal journey all the way to the Webb Ellis Cup. Both sides left it all on the pitch, but ultimately Australia had more left in the tank in the second half, and won a two-try victory. The Webb Ellis Cup would belong to Australia for another four years.

Last edited:
It's been talked about occasionally in other threads, and really this whole thread concept is based around it- having something that looks exactly like an OTL reference work but isn't is delightfully jarring, conceptually- and things like the united Korea on the map really drive that home; it's a very tiny detail and easy to miss but just kind of pushes it a notch upward.

It's been talked about occasionally in other threads, and really this whole thread concept is based around it- having something that looks exactly like an OTL reference work but isn't is delightfully jarring, conceptually- and things like the united Korea on the map really drive that home; it's a very tiny detail and easy to miss but just kind of pushes it a notch upward.
Thanks, Gryph - I tried to include some small things like that in this other boxes and their write-ups, and I'm glad it added something to it for you.

If you quote someone, you don't need to tag them in the post itself.

The default setting is that users are alerted when someone quotes a post of theirs, so unless they are in the incredibly small amount of users that disable that feature, they will already be alerted to your post even without you tagging them.
Alright, lord caedus, thanks for telling me. Sorry about that. Duly noted for future quotes.

Presidents from L. Neil Smith's North American Confederacy. The whole series is anarcho-capitalistic trash, but I love it precisely for its cockeyed politics...

1626813922478.png

1626814408507.png

1626815595775.png

1626817706386.png

1626831988919.png

1626833223394.png

1626834242653.png

Last edited:
Just read the Wikipedia summary. I can confidently say that the only two good things to come out of it was American metrification and this infobox list.

Just read the Wikipedia summary. I can confidently say that the only two good things to come out of it was American metrification and this infobox list.
Well technically, it was a different type of metrication. In the timeline, Thomas Jefferson would be responsible for developing a new system of weights and measures (metric units based on inches, pounds, ect.) in 1800. I also remember seeing that mentioned when I read the graphic novel version of The Probability Broach online a few years back.

I have also edited the Wikipedia article for the North American Confederacy many times over the years to add more info and make it make more sense.

Please can someone help me create an infobox, not sure how to do so and get the CSS to work before I upload my screenshot for an ATL political borough on here - a new one in Cambridgeshire!

Anyone got the HTML code, much welcomed! :)
i'd appreciate the help!