Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VI (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it'll be my last post on this thread, "just another forgettable tory PM"

Thx to everyone who posted or commented here for these past few years and created such a rich discussion
TolkienElection.png
Tolkienverse (1).png

Finishing this thread off - Sleepwalking Into Nightmares
The far-right is rising in Europe. Decades of ruthless neo-liberalism from all major parties have worn the people down to the bone. People are tired of nothing ever getting better, life just getting worse and worse as politicians promise reform that never comes, a complete and utter lack of hope. If no one else is willing to offer meaningful change, then the far-right will. And when they do, once they get back into power, Pandora’s box will be open, and maybe we’ll all realise that we’ve simply been Sleepwalking Into Nightmares.
View attachment 840442View attachment 840443

Finishing this thread off - Sleepwalking Into Nightmares
The far-right is rising in Europe. Decades of ruthless neo-liberalism from all major parties have worn the people down to the bone. People are tired of nothing ever getting better, life just getting worse and worse as politicians promise reform that never comes, a complete and utter lack of hope. If no one else is willing to offer meaningful change, then the far-right will. And when they do, once they get back into power, Pandora’s box will be open, and maybe we’ll all realise that we’ve simply been Sleepwalking Into Nightmares.
View attachment 840442View attachment 840443
If everything went perfect for Höcke and the AfD and disastrous for anyone else. Truly nightmarish.

I'll admit that I don't know much about Tolkien as a person, but would he really have been part of the conservative party?
He was a rather conservative and devout Catholic and a monarchist, so its either the Tories or founding some new party thats probably rather High Tory in nature.

I'll admit that I don't know much about Tolkien as a person, but would he really have been part of the conservative party?

Well Tolkien had complicated politics to say the least, but he was without a doubt a conservative, a traditionalist even. The Shire was basically his ideal society. He hated institutions of all kind and deeply believed in tradition and moral order, with a hate of industrialisation that could make him the father of green conservatism in this TL lol.

He believed in simple lifes and community bonds but was deeply more interesting than your classique old grumpy grandpa and could have unusual views for what you would expect. I'd recommend you to read this letter he once sent to nazi authorities that were asking him about his background to eventualy ban his books:

"Dear Sirs,
Thank you for your letter. I regret that I am not clear as to what you intend by arisch. I am not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-Iranian; as far as I am aware none of my ancestors spoke Hindustani, Persian, Gypsy, or any related dialects. But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people. My great-great-grandfather came to England in the eighteenth century from Germany: the main part of my descent is therefore purely English, and I am an English subject — which should be sufficient.

I have been accustomed, nonetheless, to regard my German name with pride, and continued to do so throughout the period of the late regrettable war, in which I served in the English army. I cannot, however, forbear to comment that if impertinent and irrelevant inquiries of this sort are to become the rule in matters of literature, then the time is not far distant when a German name will no longer be a source of pride.

Your enquiry is doubtless made in order to comply with the laws of your own country, but that this should be held to apply to the subjects of another state would be improper, even if it had (as it has not) any bearing whatsoever on the merits of my work or its sustainability for publication, of which you appear to have satisfied yourselves without reference to my Abstammung.

I trust you will find this reply satisfactory, and
remain yours faithfully,
J. R. R. Tolkien
"

Last edited:
Well folks, it looks like we've reached the end of Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes Thread VI. After three years, we made it to 500 pages. It probably won't be long now until the admins lock the thread up.

Strangely, Thread VII was started up over a month ago for some reason when this thread was still on page 490 and it's already up to 11 pages.

Eh whatever! Anyways, it's been quite the fun trip and I'm glad I was part of it!

See you all on Thread VII!

Well folks, it looks like we've reached the end of Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes Thread VI. After three years, we made it to 500 pages. It probably won't be long now until the admins lock the thread up.

Strangely, Thread VII was started up over a month ago for some reason when this thread was still on page 490 and it's already up to 11 pages.

Eh whatever! Anyways, it's been quite the fun trip and I'm glad I was part of it!

See you all on Thread VII!
It sure has been quite a fun time. On to the next thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.