Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes V (Do Not Post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
FDR Shouldnt.png

~
1944 Republican Primaries:

EverettDirksen.jpg

Rep. Everett McKinley Dirksen
defeated the following:
Sen. Robert A. Taft, Fmr. Gov. Harold Stassen, Gov. Earl Warren, Sen. Wendell Willkie, Gov. John W. Bricker, Gov. C. A. Bottolfsen, and Myr. Fiorella La Guardia
Joe Mama
1944 Democratic Primaries:
The Sour One.png

Pres. Cordell Hull
defeated the following:
Fmr. VP. John Nance Garner, Gov. Harry F. Byrd, C. of NY Dem. James Farley, Sen. Al Smith, and Franklin D. Roosevelt (Write-in)
~
Everett Dirksen
and Dwight Griswold
Civil Rights

Moderatism
National Unity
Economic Conservatism
Stronger Military

Anti-Communism

Cordell Hull and Harry F. Byrd
Moderatism

Continuation of FDR's legacy
Fair Deal
Liberalism
Internationalism
Peace

Foreign Unity
~
General Election:

The Presidential Election of 1944 was rather close, but it was clear that Dirksen would eventually win. The reason was that Franklin D. Roosevelt was still rather revered, and the fact that most of the policies enacted by FDR had been reversed. Along with most of the promises Hull had said in the 1940 campaign, he refused to push for them when he realized they were too big. Another policy where the people felt betrayed, was his inaction on Civil Rights. This lost him the African-American vote he had had in 1940 (he got them from Roosevelt). Anyways, the first big issue in the election was the current World War American volunteers were fighting in. Not much process was being made and the invasion of Italy was slowing. At first, Dirksen seemed to have the lead on that as he campaigned for a stronger military, and was endorsed by the American Legion. However, Democrats pointed out how Dirksen seemed to avoid whether his campaign was actually internationalist or isolationist. They claimed he could not actually decide for himself. Whilst Hull was clear on his beliefs on the war. So, in the end, it was more of a tie. On Dirksen, one of his weaknesses that was attacked ruthlessly by Hull's running mate was that Dirksen flip-flopped on issues a lot (except on Civil Rights). This idea of a Dirksen would prove a big threat but was eventually put down when many Republicans pointed out Byrd's own opposition to the New Deal, even though that was one of the main promises of Hull's campaign. Anyways, Everett Dirksen was revered in the mid-west and gained more popularity when he put Dwight Griswold, the popular Nebraskan Governor, on the ticket. He knew he had the African-American vote from his record, and knew he would get the mid-west, but he was worried about the North-East. Dirksen's advisors pointed out that while they were more socially-liberal, polls showed a higher approval of Cordell Hull than Dirksen. So, Dirksen campaigned throughout the entire north-east but was challenged when Hull did the same. Cordell Hull specifically campaigned in New York, where Dirksen knew was a lost cause. Dirksen had attacked Thomas Dewey multiple times before for his liberalism, and he knew Dewey was very popular. Hull's views currently lined up more with Dewey's than Dewey's did with Dirksen's. New York became a lost cause as Hull's approval ratings went up and up. However, the other states went better for the Republicans. Cordell Hull also had his campaign scheme that went rather foul. He traveled the mid-west and made speeches about all of FDR's accomplishments on helping the farmers and his agricultural achievements. Though this was not liked as farmers pointed out Hull's failures and his cutbacks on the policies established by his predecessor. These would do a reverse effect and lowered Hull's ratings in the Mid-West. As the election neared, both men seemed to slow down their campaigns. And when the results came in... Dirksen came out the winner. The first Republican in office since the Great Depression. America would never be the same.​

Now that she is no longer Dafne Keen not even Wolverine can save her from the Stasi

Seriously though, this might be the most cursed part of this timeline. There's something so fundamentally pitiable about a venerable dynasty reduced to being puppets of a truly malevolent totalitarian organization. The Stasi didn't even let them be puppets with dignity, they're reduced to being glorified Kardashians.

Another character from RL Flashpoint:

Martha, heiress to the Kane Chemical fortune and member of one of the wealthiest New York families, had garnered a reputation as a notorious party girl during the early 1910s, frequenting many country clubs and prestigious night clubs of the time. Much would change, though, with her meeting Thomas Wayne during one of the NYC soirees in mid-1912. Wayne, a notorious playboy himself, suddenly changed his ways, and the mysterious manner in which he had done so had become a prominent headline in the newspapers of the time. The story of the two star-crossed lovers would decorate countless yellow press articles during much of the 1910s, until Martha's chuckling reveal that their love had begun as a result of stained shoes and half a dozen apologies, leaving many of the readers befuddled.

Martha would, soon after the birth of hers and Thomas' only son Bruce, become a champion for women's suffrage, voicing her opposition to the imprisonment of the women's rights activists. She welcomed the introduction of the Nineteenth Amendment with open arms, citing it as a true move in the right direction. Her charitable work was not solely focused on women's rights, as she would also advocate the allocation of proper funding for New York City's many orphanages. This reputation would make her a beloved figure in both the lower and upper classes of American society of the time.

Unfortunately, everything would change in the fall of 1925, when the Waynes would be ambushed by a lone gunman upon their leaving the theater and the screening of Fairbanks' Don Q, Son of Zorro. The gunman had, allegedly, demanded Martha's necklace and Thomas' watch, but in the ensuing scuffle, the gunman would shoot Bruce right in the heart. The assailant managed to run away while Martha's screams penetrated the alleyway and Thomas attempted to resuscitate his only son, to no avail...

The ensuing months would only put additional strains on the once idyllic marriage, as Martha refused to speak to Thomas and vice versa. On occasion, as per the words of Wayne family butler Alfred Pennyworth, Martha's hysterical laughter would permeate the hallways of Wayne Manor and Hoffman Island itself during many of the lonely nights there. In early 1927, after fewer than a dozen words exchanged between the two since their son's death, Thomas sent Martha to the Metropolitan Hospital on Roosevelt Island for further treatment. When he attempted to take her, though, she resisted, attacking Thomas with a razor blade. As he recoiled, she began cutting the corners of her mouth, all the while hysterically laughing. Her husband was unable to stop her.

On Roosevelt Island, during her stay in the so-called Octagon, many physicians advised Thomas that the only way to alleviate Martha's female hysteria was to lobotomise her. Thomas refused each and every time. Martha was not deterred by the horrid conditions of the asylum, though, as she escaped on numerous occasions during the 1930s. Many NYPD reports cite men being attacked on the streets by an insane woman with a pistol and a large razor, but none are able to identify the assailant as Martha. The Joker, as she had been dubbed by the press, would become the arch-nemesis of the Bat-Man, who attempted to stop her many times, but even the crooked vigilante could not deter her from continuing her maiming and killing sprees.

Thomas' love for Martha did not cease even then, as he continued to refuse to allow her lobotomization, either through stern talking-tos or hefty bribes. During the 1930s, the head of the Wayne family would sporadically attempt to assemble chemists, scientists and other physicians to try and produce a cure for insanity that Martha had fallen victim to.

Martha Wayne (RL Flashpoint).png

Other RL Flashpoint infoboxes:
Thomas Wayne - Bat-Man
Thomas Dewey - Two-Face
Coming up tomorrow (or some other time) - Catwoman...

Now that she is no longer Dafne Keen not even Wolverine can save her from the Stasi

Dafne Keen always looks like she would hit you back if you hit her, so that's why I decided to swap her out

Seriously though, this might be the most cursed part of this timeline. There's something so fundamentally pitiable about a venerable dynasty reduced to being puppets of a truly malevolent totalitarian organization. The Stasi didn't even let them be puppets with dignity, they're reduced to being glorified Kardashians.

It really is an ignoble end for them, having to do a propaganda horse and pony show, isn't it?

@John_Smith I'm loving this series, even though I'm not that fond of the storyline on which it is based.

Query: do you intend to go beyond Gotham, or would that be too weird?

Thank you for your support! I don't really have that many ideas for the overall world outside of NYC/Gotham, only a few small PoDs in the 20s and a few larger ones in the 1930s (some of them mentioned in the Thomas Wayne description), but I'm making most of these on a whim, so it'll likely get more fleshed out in the future, and if people would like to see more of the world outside of the messed up city that the Bat-Man inhabits, then I'll try my best and provide some more non-DC infoboxes.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
So continuing my series of One Shots centred around various territorial changes. I've been on a bit of a hiatus from Hail, Britannia due to work, but I did promise one of these every 2-3 months. These can be taken as standalone instalments, or part of the same wider universe, your choice :)

I found this idea quite quirky, as New Zealand is rarely touched in Alternate History, at least from my point of view. And I don't think I've ever seen it divided before. So here's the second of the X-in-Y series - New Munster-in-Australia:

nm7uYq2.png

The 2018 New Munster state election was held on 14 July 2018 to elect, under the single transferable vote system in 16 multi-member divisions [1], the 80 members of the New Munster House of Assembly. This was the 49th legislative election in New Munster since the granting of responsible government in 1853 [2], and the 31st election since the state joined the Commonwealth in 1912 [3].

The incumbent centre-right Liberals under Premier Kate Wilkinson, failed to win a fifth consecutive term in office against the centre-left Labor opposition, under new leader and former federal MP Damien O'Connor. Although opinion polls had predicted no party securing a majority, Labor won 43 seats, and unexpectedly secured majorities in every division in Christchurch and Dunedin, with the Port Hills division returning 5 Labor members, although they only won a plurality of the popular vote. The Liberals lost 21 seats, and their share of the popular vote dropped by 11%, their worst result in 20 years representing a backlash from the public after a revelation involving 35,000 automated phone calls that spread false claims about Labor's manifesto. The third party in the New Munster, the ecological left-wing Greens, won their largest share of the popular vote, although they only gained two additional seats to bring their total to 5, the largest representation in their electoral history.

Under constitutional convention, Damien O'Connor was sworn in as the 43rd Premier of New Munster. Wilkinson announced her resignation as Liberal leader on 30 July, and was replaced by Jacqui Dean in the subsequent leadership election. Although electoral reform had been a part of Labor's campaign, O'Connor announced shortly after the election that his party would not be pursuing the issue during the lifetime of the legislature. In addition, the controversial proposal to construct a tunnel under the Cook Strait between New Munster and Aotearoa was put on indefinite hold by the incoming government, leading to widespread criticism of Labor as many predicted a Cook Strait fixed crossing would have helped revitalise the state's poor economic growth. Opinion polls for the O'Connor administration are low, the lowest recorded for any Labor state government, and the 2021 election looks like a Liberal cakewalk.

iMK0UA3.png

[1] - The base map is DrRandomFactor's New Zealand election map from Wikipedia. I just took the South Island constituencies and spruced it up a bit to fit the scenario.
[2] - Formerly the colony had been a province of the Colony of New Zealand until the 1852 charter divided the New Zealand archipelago into the colonies of New Munster and New Ulster. New Munster joined the Commonwealth of Australia as a state in 1912, while New Ulster remained a separate colony, later dominion and finally an independent nation known as "Aotearoa".
[3] - Although delegates from New Munster were part of the discussions leading to Australian Federation, they declined to join upon the nation's creation in 1901, although provisions were put in the Constitution to allow the eventual joining of the New Zealand colonies.

kkjp9Ao.png

LeinadB93's X-in-Y series

Last edited:
I know I'm a few days late to make something like this, but I felt I should make an infobox to commemorate Steven Universe ending (and since Connie said she wanted to study politics).

1585693527422.png

The 2024 gubernatorial election in Delmarva saw a rather unusual contest, as two colourful figures were nominated by the two major parties- Mayor of Beach City Connie Maheshwaran by the Democrats, and local social media figure and talk show host Ronaldo Fryman for the Republicans. At first it was thought the governorship could be competitive, especially with early criticism of Maheshwaran for ‘punching above her weight’ (she only became mayor of Beach City in late 2023, having recently returned from Jayhawk University and being appointed upon the retirement of her predecessor Nanefua Pizza), but she soon came across as charming and affable to voters (particularly in her campaign stops with her partner Steven) while Fryman tainted himself by repeatedly peddling crackpot theories about aliens, something which prompted well-publicized backlash against him in Beach City in particular (in a particularly embarassing incident, his younger brother Peedee confessed in an interview he planned not to vote for him).

Ultimately, Maheshwaran won a resounding victory and became the first Indian-American Governor of Delmarva, outpacing the presidential ticket in the state by over 10 points. Due to her high approval ratings and national name recognition, Maheshwaran has occasionally been touted as a future presidential candidate (not least by her partner).

I know I'm a few days late to make something like this, but I felt I should make an infobox to commemorate Steven Universe ending (and since Connie said she wanted to study politics).

View attachment 534903
So, uh, I get that this probably isn't supposed to necessarily be taken as a realistic election, but you have seriously underestimated how conservative/Republican the Eastern Shore of Maryland is. It would never be this blue, not in a million years, unless some serious demographic changes have taken place or the Democratic Party has become the conservative party.

lmmQNIp.png

If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Oh, and since this will come up, while LBJ does die in his second term, it's not OTL, but delayed until two years into his presidency. Maybe an eight year break would be better for his health.

Last edited:
New Munster-in-Australia
Very interesting and very believable. The politics and everything fits right in with the other states. I have to ask though, why is electoral reform on the agenda? IOTL, only a small number of people really desire electoral reform, and they usually favour Hare-Clark STV like Tasmania and the ACT, which New Munster already has ITTL. What kind of reforms did Labor promise?

Status
Not open for further replies.