Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes V (Do Not Post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cross-posting:
Capture.PNG

2019 Crimean Presidential Election

In 1986, the Crimean SSR would gain its independence amid the collapse of the Soviet Union that same year. In its second presidential election in 1991, Crimea would elect Yuriy Meshkov of the right-wing Republican Party of Crimea to the first of his many terms in office. Meshkov would go on to win seven four-year terms in total from 1991 to 2015 with many international organizations liking the Crimean president to a dictator. Meshkov would base his support in the sizable Russian population of Crimea which makes up 48.9% of the country while Tartars and Ukrainians make up 26.4% and 21.1% respectively.

In 2019, Meshkov was expected to handily win his eighth term in power getting 57.9% in the first round of the election (in Crimea the top-two go on to the second round regardless if one gets above 50% or not). However, just one week before the second-round election, Meshkov would unexpectedly die sending the results of the election up in the air. In the end, Refat Chubarov of the centrist Civic Movement Party would narrowly defeat the deceased Meshkov to become the first president of Tartar descent.

2019 Crimea Election.png

2020-01-15 (1).png

Angkar is the state religion of Kampuchea and the nation's current dominant religion of the country. Angkar was founded in 1969 as a splinter sect of Theravada Buddhism by Saloth Sar, a French-education Khmer. Sar claimed to have achieved a form of enlightenment via meditation in the 1960's and outlined a vision of a harmonious Kampuchea where all 'inharmonious influences' were purged. Sar's movement began to gain traction during the Cambodian Civil War of the early 1970's and ultimately succeeded in taking control of the country in 1975. At this point, Sar made Angkar the state religion of the new State of Kampuchea and used the pretense of 'restoring harmony' to liquidate many major urban centers, wipe out non-Khmer peoples within the country and bring the country's Buddhist community under his personal control. The Angkar regime also carried out mass murder of 'destabilizing elements' of society that led to the death of a third of the population of Kampuchea. An attempt by North Vietnam to intervene against Sar's rule in Kampuchea failed thanks to CIA support for the Angkar regime as a bulwark against communism in the region (despite earlier interest in Marxism, communists were considered foreign threats by Sar by the time he came to power and were thus purged). Over the course of the 1980's and 1990's, Sar increasingly consolidated his power in Kampuchea, an entire generation growing up to embrace the anti-modernist and nativist beliefs of Angkar. By the time of Sar's death in 1998, Kampuchea had become the only country to have actively deindustrialized. A famine in Kampuchea in the early 2000's killed an estimated 2 million people and the government refused aid from neighbors. As of the present, Kampuchea is an isolated international pariah, but remains under the grip of the Angkar cult and the regime shows no external signs of collapsing any time soon. Intervention into the country to overthrow the regime has been proposed on a few occasions, but at this point, it is widely seen as too little too late.

There are a few self-proclaimed Angkar sects known to exist outside of Kampuchea, however, no such group numbers greater than 50 individuals and they are generall regarded with suspicion.

Last edited:
View attachment 516589
Angkar is the state religion of Kampuchea and the nation's current dominant religion of the country. Angkar was founded in 1969 as a splinter sect of Theravada Buddhism by Saloth Sar, a French-education Khmer. Sar claimed to have achieved a form of enlightenment via meditation in the 1960's and outlined a vision of a harmonious Kampuchea where all 'inharmonious influences' were purged. Sar's movement began to gain traction during the Cambodian Civil War of the early 1970's and ultimately succeeded in taking control of the country in 1975. At this point, Sar made Angkar the state religion of the new State of Kampuchea and used the pretense of 'restoring harmony' to liquidate many major urban centers, wipe out non-Khmer peoples within the country and bring the country's Buddhist community under his personal control. The Angkar regime also carried out mass murder of 'destabilizing elements' of society that led to the death of a third of the population of Kampuchea. An attempt by North Vietnam to intervene against Sar's rule in Kampuchea failed thanks to CIA support for the Angkar regime as a bulwark against communism in the region (despite earlier interest in Marxism, communists were considered foreign threats by Sar by the time he came to power and were thus purged). Over the course of the 1980's and 1990's, Sar increasingly consolidated his power in Kampuchea, an entire generation growing up to embrace the anti-modernist and nativist beliefs of Angkar. By the time of Sar's death in 1998, Kampuchea had become the only country to have actively deindustrialized. A famine in Kampuchea in the early 2000's killed an estimated 2 million people and the government refused aid from neighbors. As of the present, Kampuchea is an isolated international pariah, but remains under the grip of the Angkar cult and the regime shows no external signs of collapsing any time soon. Intervention into the country to overthrow the regime has been proposed on a few occasions, but at this point, it is widely seen as too little too late.

There are a few self-proclaimed Angkar sects known to exist outside of Kampuchea, however, no such group numbers greater than 50 individuals and they are generall regarded with suspicion.
AAAAAAAAARGH

View attachment 516589

Goddamn this is like Bogd Mongolia, Democratic Kampuchea and North Korea rolled into one

I hate it

View attachment 516589

Cursed

To the Edge and Maybe Over-Part 14
"My critics like to run around calling me 'isolationist' or 'irresponsible.' Well, I disagree with that assessment. Look what us sticking our nose into every place under the sun has gotten us-how many of our sons and daughters died in Iraq? In Iran? And how does the world feel about us after the atrocities perpetrated in Iran? To me, it's the hawks who are irresponsible and are the true isolationists."
-Senator Ron Paul at a rally in Florida, September 8, 2008

"I stand by what I said at the DNC. I obviously have my disagreements with Senator Paul-I do not believe we fix the economy by shattering the welfare state or abolishing the Federal Reserve. But I don't think Edwards' pro-corporate economic policies are the answer either and he will get us into more wars. And the less I say about McKinney the better. In this election, all I can tell my supporters to do is vote their conscience and keep up the fight for positive change."
-Former Senator Paul Wellstone, in an interview with NBC on September 10, 2008

NEARLY 300 FORMER NAT'L SECURITY PROFESSIONALS SIGN A LETTER SUPPORTING EDWARDS OVER PAUL

POLLS SHOW LIEBERMAN APPROVAL RATING AT 34% KEY FACTOR BEHIND EDWARDS DECLINING CAMPAIGN APPEARANCES, SOURCES SAY

POLLS SHOW CRIST BOLSTERING PAUL IN FLORIDA, STATE STILL FAVORS EDWARDS OVERALL

TRADITIONALLY LEFT-WING ANTIWAR GROUP CODE PINK ANNOUNCES SUPPORT FOR PAUL IN PRESS RELEASE

MCKINNEY PROMISES TO 'LOOK INTO VACCINES' IF ELECTED PRESIDENT

SENATOR NORM COLEMAN CROSSES PARTY LINES TO ENDORSE EDWARDS IN MINNEAPOLIS CAMPAIGN APPEARANCE

WHILE PROMOTING UNITED FRONT PUBLICLY, RNC OFFICIALS REMAIN WARY OF PAUL CAMPAIGN'S PROSPECTS IN NOVEMBER
-Headlines of The Washington Post, September-October 2008

"I appreciate Senator Paul's convictions, but there comes a time where you have to concede ground to reality. We tried doing nothing to solve economic crises many times before-and it didn't work. We want to solve this new crisis-we take a page from the book of FDR, not Herbert Hoover."

"Senator Paul, your rebuttal?"

"Well, I would dispute Edwards' characterization. Hoover spent quite a bit of time trying to fix the Depression with stimulus and that didn't work. And the New Deal didn't end the Great Depression either-if anything, it prolonged it. These historical narratives are popular, Senator Edwards, but they are not born out by reality."
-Exchange between John Edwards, Poppy Harlow and Ron Paul at the first presidential debate, October 7, 2008

"There is no good reason for the presidential debates to exclude anyone with enough ballot access to win. That's why I intend to boycott the next presidential debate unless the Commission on Presidential Debates extends invitations to Cynthia McKinney of the Green Party and Chuck Baldwin of the Constitution Party."
-Senator Ron Paul in a press conference also attended by McKinney and Baldwin, October 11, 2008

"This is nothing but a cynical ploy to try and poach votes from my campaign and I refuse to dignify my campaign by appearing alongside known cranks."
-Senator John Edwards in response to Paul's demands, October 12, 2008

"The beginning of problems for Edwards' campaign was his response to Paul demanding the Green and Constitution Parties be included in the presidential debates. While in the end the CPD did as Edwards demanded, Paul followed through on his ultimatum. Furthermore, the claims of Edwards were seen as illegitimate by many as a result of the fact Paul demanded Chuck Baldwin, who was ideologically much closer to Paul than Edwards, be included. Paul's efforts to stand up for third-party candidates helped strengthen his image as a man of the people targetting a corrupt establishment. And of course, it also helped that the aftermath of the second debate (a de facto Edwards townhall that was televised) was the emergence of a scandal."
-Chaos on the Campaign Trail: 2000-2020 by Nate Silver, published 2023

"I want to be clear: the claims of Miss Hunter that I fathered a child with her are nothing more than a false, malicious smear. I will admit to the fact I carried on an affair with Miss Hunter-an act I deeply and sincerely regret. However, at this time, I do not intend to drop out from the presidential race as I believe it is imperative that we elect someone other than Senator Paul who I fear will lead the US into a new Great Depression."
-Senator John Edwards in a press conference, October 21, 2008

"Goddamn it, John, you're going to cost us everything!"
-David Bonior in a phone call to John Edwards, October 21, 2008

POLLING SHOWS MASSIVE DROP IN SUPPORT FOR EDWARDS FOLLOWING REVELATION OF AFFAIRS

THIRD PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE TO INCLUDE MCKINNEY AND BALDWIN

THIRD-PARTY CANDIDATES, EDWARDS FLOUNDER IN THIRD DEBATE AS PAUL OUTPERFORMS EXPECTATIONS

RON PAUL RALLY IN SAN FRANCISCO DRAWS 9,000 ATTENDEES

GOING INTO ELECTION NIGHT, PAUL FAVORED TO WIN POPULAR VOTE, ELECTORAL COLLEGE REMAINS TOO CLOSE TO CALL
-Headlines of The Hill, October-November 2008

"Of course, the election was a major disappointment to me. Even though John was relatively cold to me personally (as understandable as it is regrettable), at the end of the day he was someone who appreciated the necessity of what we were doing. That I did not seek to wage wars for no reason, but I fought to protect American lives. That I was pushing for bailouts not because I was a corporate puppet, but because I knew we needed to stabilize the economy-and it's worth noting that for all the condemnation President Paul made towards me after the fact, he never did undo them once my signature was on them. To see someone like Senator Paul win the White House stung quite a bit-it was perhaps the biggest rebuke I could have been given short of electing a Nazi. Still, despite everything, I stand by what I did. My administration and the people in it did the right thing. I still believe that."
-Former President Joe Lieberman in his autobiography An Amazing Adventure, published in 2014
2008 Election.png

From the same series of wikiboxes I did years ago where King Charles I youngest son Henry did not die and he was made the heir of Charles II instead of his Catholic brother. No King James II or Glorious Revolution and the Stuarts would continue to be the ruling family of the British Isles.

Charles V.JPG
Charles has been on the throne for 37 years. Thrust upon the throne at an early age, Charles has proved to be a competent monarch and a much beloved one at that. With the Royal family's popularity as high as ever, this has allowed Charles to maintain many of the Royal prerogatives that his namesake fought for so many centuries ago.

henry.JPG
Heir of the great Charles V, Henry Frederick is the next generation in the long history of the Stuart family. After his service in the Royal Army he has campaigned extensively for Veteran affairs and has used his influence as the Prince of Wales to push reforms in Parliament. It would seem that for his reign he will have no issue involving himself in the legislative process when the situation demands it, a trademark of his Stuart family.

From the same series of wikiboxes I did years ago where King Charles I youngest son Henry did not die and he was made the heir of Charles II instead of his Catholic brother. No King James II or Glorious Revolution and the Stuarts would continue to be the ruling family of the British Isles.
So I'm assuming we got a similar unification to OTL: England and Scotland first then Ireland?
Otherwise the flag is odd, considering.

Charles has been on the throne for 37 years. Thrust upon the throne at an early age, Charles has proved to be a competent monarch and a much beloved one at that. With the Royal family's popularity as high as ever, this has allowed Charles to maintain many of the Royal prerogatives that his namesake fought for so many centuries ago.

Heir of the great Charles V, Henry Frederick is the next generation in the long history of the Stuart family. After his service in the Royal Army he has campaigned extensively for Veteran affairs and has used his influence as the Prince of Wales to push reforms in Parliament. It would seem that for his reign he will have no issue involving himself in the legislative process when the situation demands it, a trademark of his Stuart family.

So the Stuarts don't die out in this alternate timeline

So I'm assuming we got a similar unification to OTL: England and Scotland first then Ireland?
Otherwise the flag is odd, considering.
Yeah, if you go back and look and my other posts, which I can’t seem to link to, Henry Stuart the youngest son of Charles creates the act of union in 1700. In my head I would imagine that this United Kingdom still controls Ireland to some degree.

The Mountain of Manhetan (Nyork Mole: Mondawn dar Manhēdan) was an independent state situated in the delta of the Hudson Sound, in the area traditionally known as the Nyork Wastes. It was founded in 345 A.D. by the Mole chieftain Mol the Quiet, who marched upon the wartorn, chaotic islets of Nyork in order to end the continuous raids on his domain; the local peoples welcomed Mol's rule, particularly as he took a light-handed approach to administration and permitted cats and rats into government. In 350 A.D., the Assembly of the Mountain - an advisory legislature composed of "distinguished citizens" was founded, assisting in the governance of the Mountain's lands and helping future mounts - such as Mol's son and successor, Muw the Bold - formulate their reforms, as well as fight off invaders such as roving northern tribes (wolves, chipmunks, you name it), pirates and neighboring statelets.

Over the span of a few hundred years, the Manhetani state expanded along the Hudson Sound, emerging as the most powerful state in the region's history; although its immediate sphere of influence was limited to the Sound's surroundings up to the River of De la War, Manhetani traders and tunnelmakers were known as far south as Florida, and Manhetan itself was a wealthy city standing over an extensive system of intricate, well-furnished tunnels. However, by the 780s the Mountain declined in power due to internal conflicts - particularly as the increasingly influential Assembly grew discontent with the conservative Frola the Defiant - and was ultimately conquered by the tiger-dominated Caesarid Empire to the west, furthering the Great Caesar's control over the eastern seaboard and resulting in the emergence of independent underground rat networks, most of which were founded by scholars, forebeasts and soldiers who previously enjoyed great privileges in the Mountain.

f6ga13.png

((I would like to thank Bob Hope for the beautiful map used in my infobox.))

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.