Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes V (Do Not Post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Living With Yourself.

Capture3.PNG

The premise is there's a spa business that will make you into your perfect self, but in reality they make clone of you that is a perfect version of yourself. The original version is subsequently killed and the clone assumes their identity unaware of what happened. In the first episode Paul Rudd's character observes Brady exiting the establishment, and Brady remarks that he's just had his sixth procedure performed, indicating he had himself cloned prior to each of his Super Bowl wins. This means the original Tom Brady died sometime prior to Super Bowl XXXVI.

Last edited:
Previously in Lincolnia

After some years of a chaotic democracy, war hero and great liberator Theodore Roosevelt seize power (helped by French agents). Democracy won't return until the Three Colonels Coup in 1961 and the first election in 1962.
Teddy Coup.png

After being on the winning side during the Brother's War (also named the War of Lys and Maple), Theodore Roosevelt Sr would die leaving the nation to his son Theodore Roosevelt Jr. Yet, Junior was starting economics and political reforms that the oligarch (and others member of the Roosevelt family) didn't liked. A distant cousin, Franklin Roosevelt would depose him. Franklin is still considerate one of America greatest dictator.

FDR Coup.png

Marechal Clark was a former friend of Franklin Roosevelt (which is the reason he lieved during two great purges). Ultimately, Franklin sanity, already weak, complety broke after another assassination attempt. Clark feared for his life so much he did an alliance with resistance leader Harry Truman to kill Franklin. Truman would die during the fighing, alongside much of the resistance, and Clark would rule the country until 1961. The Roosevelt family had taken over much of the country riches leaving to Clark a quite poor country with little value outside the immense Reserve Zone created by Theodore Sr.

Clark Coup.png

Happy Halloween! Enjoy this spooky update.
To The Edge and Maybe Over: Part 10
"I absolutely agree with Senator Gore on this issue. When you have young people exposed to this culture of death-that's not good for their minds. It desensitizes them and makes them think that these means are a valid one to deal with problems. Gale didn't just kill people because he had a gun, he had a deranged mindset that was encouraged by exposure to violent media. We won't solve violence without addressing these root causes."
-President Joe Lieberman, on January 30, 2005 at the press conference unveiling the SAFETY Act

"In essence, the core premise of the SAFETY Act is that young people who perpetrate violent actions are not responsible for their actions. Instead, Gore, Lieberman and fellow supporters of this legislation place the blame on media they regard as encouraging hostility to human life-namely death metal and violent video games. The legislation strengthens background checks and reinforces the assault weapons ban, while tying that with imposing criminal penalties for not strictly checking IDs of people buying M rated video games or music albums belonging to the heavy metal or death metal genres. The problem with these proposals is twofold: the enforcement of this proposal is highly tricky and these restrictions in my opinion violate First Amendment protections."
-Eugene Volokh, writing for The Volokh Conspiracy, February 3, 2005

"This legislation is in my book long overdue. My only issue with it is I worry it does not go far enough in keeping the kind of violent imagery we see too often in Hollywood and in these kind of games from the eyes of our children. People who are saying this is a threat to free speech-we're not banning these depictions, we're just enforcing already existing rules. If you can't shout fire in a crowded theatre, then kids shouldn't be able to go to a movie theatre and see someone fire into a crowd on the screen."
-Senator Mike Johanns (R-NE), February 4, 2005, after becoming a cosponsor of the SAFETY Act

"Look, I am all for taking measures to combat mass shootings-Lord knows I am no Second Amendment absolutist-but in the process we shouldn't erode basic constitutional freedoms. This legislation would push too far against the First Amendment for my liking and I don't see any path to me voting for it."
-Senator Lincoln Chafee (R-RI), February 4, 2005

"I am absolutely prepared to work with the Lieberman administration to get the SAFETY Act through the House. It's a major piece of common-sense, common-ground legislation-both Speaker Bonior and I agree on it, for instance. We may not get everyone onboard, but we should get the non-crazies to back this legislation."
-House Minority Leader Dennis Hastert, February 2, 2005

FEINGOLD THREATENS FILIBUSTER OF SAFETY ACT AS BILL NEARS PASSAGE

DCCC THREATENS TO WITHHOLD FUNDS FROM REPRESENTATIVES WHO BUCK LIEBERMAN LINE

MARILYN MANSON CRITICIZES SAFETY ACT AS 'ANTI-FREEDOM AND USELESS'

40 CONSTITUTIONAL SCHOLARS SIGN LETTER EXPRESSING FIRST AMENDMENT CONCERNS ABOUT SAFETY ACT, URGE IT WITHDRAWN AND REVISED
-Headlines of The Washington Post, February 2005

"Based on my understanding of the issues the SAFETY Act seeks to address, I do think it provides decent remedies to these issues and I would favor the legislation if I believed it to be constitutional. However, the fact is, my understanding of the Constitution precludes supporting this legislation. The SAFETY Act's penalties for selling certain video games and music albums to young people would violate First Amendment protections for both video game companies and establishments selling such content. In addition, while I think the US infatuation with gun rights is an issue, the Second Amendment is absolutely clear. The gun control provisions are not permitted. On that basis, I would say that constitutional amendments would be a prerequisite to the passage of the SAFETY Act."
-Professor Alan Dershowitz, February 15, 2005

"Ron, of course, was deeply opposed to the legislation. A federal piece of legislation imposing strict criminal penalties for nonviolent activities was antithetical to everything he stood for. If he'd had the chance to filibuster it, I know he would've-hell, when Feingold was railing against it, I could tell he wished he was able to join him in doing that. And when Hutchison voted for the bill, I think that was when he made up his mind. If not then, maybe when Lew pointed out people got elected President from the Senate a lot more often than from the House."
-Carol Paul, writing in Ron Paul's Revolution: Behind the Scenes, published 2018

"The impact of the SAFETY Act on the video game industry was rather depressive. M-rated games were considerably more risky business decisions after the SAFETY Act passed. From 2006 to 2010, the number of major M-rated games created dropped about 33% compared to the period of 2001 to 2005. Developers more known for family-friendly video game content like Nintendo would perform better than those developers who produced less appropriate games. And even on family-friendly games, certain elements were scrapped to keep them as appropriate as possible-for instance, Blue Fang banned modders from adding gore to their Zoo Tycoon games up until 2009. In the end, of course, the legislation would be scrapped, but it would take a while before M-rated content became as common as it once had been."
-Excerpt from the Kotaku article 'The SAFETY Act: A Decade One', published February 2015

"In the end, of course, it didn't really matter that most constitutional scholars argued its provisions wouldn't be upheld. Lieberman wanted something done, Senator Gore wanted something done and many others in Congress wanted something done. Odds are, most people who voted to pass the SAFETY Act knew it would ultimately face court challenges. But they passed it anyway and attempted to keep it on the books as long as possible. Because doing something, however unconstitutional it might have been, was seen as better than potentially allowing another Marysville. The fact that it didn't prevent future incidents of that sort is obvious to us now, but we speak with the benefit of hindsight the people who voted SAFETY through had no way of having."
-Glenn Greenwald, writing for the Jacobin, October 12, 2010

SAFETY Act.png

Last edited:
"I absolutely agree with Senator Gore on this issue. When you have young people exposed to this culture of death-that's not good for their minds. It desensitizes them and makes them think that these means are a valid one to deal with problems. Gale didn't just kill people because he had a gun, he had a deranged mindset that was encouraged by exposure to violent media. We won't solve violence without addressing these root causes."
-President Joe Lieberman, on January 30, 2005 at the press conference unveiling the SAFETY Act

"In essence, the core premise of the SAFETY Act is that young people who perpetrate violent actions are not responsible for their actions. Instead, Gore, Lieberman and fellow supporters of this legislation place the blame on media they regard as encouraging hostility to human life-namely death metal and violent video games. The legislation strengthens background checks and reinforces the assault weapons ban, while tying that with imposing criminal penalties for not strictly checking IDs of people buying M rated video games or music albums belonging to the heavy metal or death metal genres. The problem with these proposals is twofold: the enforcement of this proposal is highly tricky and these restrictions in my opinion violate First Amendment protections."

"This legislation is in my book long overdue. My only issue with it is I worry it does not go far enough in keeping the kind of violent imagery we see too often in Hollywood and in these kind of games from the eyes of our children. People who are saying this is a threat to free speech-we're not banning these depictions, we're just enforcing already existing rules. If you can't shout fire in a crowded theatre, then kids shouldn't be able to go to a movie theatre and see someone fire into a crowd on the screen."
-Senator Mike Johanns (R-NE), February 4, 2005, after becoming a cosponsor of the SAFETY Act

"Look, I am all for taking measures to combat mass shootings-Lord knows I am no Second Amendment absolutist-but in the process we shouldn't erode basic constitutional freedoms. This legislation would push too far against the First Amendment for my liking and I don't see any path to me voting for it."

"I am absolutely prepared to work with the Lieberman administration to get the SAFETY Act through the House. It's a major piece of common-sense, common-ground legislation-both Speaker Bonior and I agree on it, for instance. We may not get everyone onboard, but we should get the non-crazies to back this legislation."

40 CONSTITUTIONAL SCHOLARS SIGN LETTER EXPRESSING FIRST AMENDMENT CONCERNS ABOUT SAFETY ACT, URGE IT WITHDRAWN AND REVISED

"Based on my understanding of the issues the SAFETY Act seeks to address, I do think it provides decent remedies to these issues and I would favor the legislation if I believed it to be constitutional. However, the fact is, my understanding of the Constitution precludes supporting this legislation. The SAFETY Act's penalties for selling certain video games and music albums to young people would violate First Amendment protections for both video game companies and establishments selling such content. In addition, while I think the US infatuation with gun rights is an issue, the Second Amendment is absolutely clear. The gun control provisions are not permitted. On that basis, I would say that constitutional amendments would be a prerequisite to the passage of the SAFETY Act."

"Ron, of course, was deeply opposed to the legislation. A federal piece of legislation imposing strict criminal penalties for nonviolent activities was antithetical to everything he stood for. If he'd had the chance to filibuster it, I know he would've-hell, when Feingold was railing against it, I could tell he wished he was able to join him in doing that. And when Hutchison voted for the bill, I think that was when he made up his mind. If not then, maybe when Lew pointed out people got elected President from the Senate a lot more often than from the House."
-Carol Paul, writing in Ron Paul's Revolution: Behind the Scenes, published 2018

"The impact of the SAFETY Act on the video game industry was rather depressive. M-rated games were considerably more risky business decisions after the SAFETY Act passed. From 2006 to 2010, the number of major M-rated games created dropped about 33% compared to the period of 2001 to 2005. Developers more known for family-friendly video game content like Nintendo would perform better than those developers who produced less appropriate games. And even on family-friendly games, certain elements were scrapped to keep them as appropriate as possible-for instance, Blue Fang banned modders from adding gore to their Zoo Tycoon games up until 2009. In the end, of course, the legislation would be scrapped, but it would take a while before M-rated content became as common as it once had been."
-Excerpt from the Kotaku article 'The SAFETY Act: A Decade One', published February 2015

"In the end, of course, it didn't really matter that most constitutional scholars argued its provisions wouldn't be upheld. Lieberman wanted something done, Senator Gore wanted something done and many others in Congress wanted something done. Odds are, most people who voted to pass the SAFETY Act knew it would ultimately face court challenges. But they passed it anyway and attempted to keep it on the books as long as possible. Because doing something, however unconstitutional it might have been, was seen as better than potentially allowing another Marysville. The fact that it didn't prevent future incidents of that sort is obvious to us now, but we speak with the benefit of hindsight the people who voted SAFETY through had no way of having."

View attachment 498822

I would call this AU "Player One Game Over" (Opposite of Player Two START!)

View attachment 498822
Holy shit. If that had ever passed, it would get slapped with a "violation of the First Amedment" tag by the Supreme Court and taken down faster than you can say "It's-a me, Mario!"

The 1990 Chinese presidential election, the first to be held after Zhao's reforms lifted restrictions on freedom of speech, permitted the formation of political parties opposed to the Kuomintang and established quadrennial democratic elections to the National Congress, saw an extremely energetic campaign. Initially, these reforms had made Zhao and the Kuomintang extremely popular with many voters in China, so much so that when the first National Congress election was held in October 1989, the Kuomintang won 651 of the 900 seats, a huge majority. The way he had used this majority, however, was to be a source of considerable contention.

Since the late 1970s and especially during the 1980s, China had moved towards economic deregulation, tax cuts for the wealthy, reductions in public spending and other neoliberal policies, with Moshan emphasizing the role of these reforms in keeping China competitive in the global market. However, with the wave in support for democratizing reforms had come unrest about the social cost these economic policies had had on the wellbeing of the Chinese working class; a survey in 1986 had found that only 29% of them had health insurance coverage, and cities had disproportionately small expenditure on healthcare. On top of this, despite the Zhao administration's hopes that businesses would pump billions of yuan into China's economy, the investment received for Q1 of 1990 was almost 10% lower than expected.

The Kuomintang allowed the renomination of Zhao after a public vote, but there was significant unrest with his leadership. Seeking to capitalize on this, the Progressive Party- which had established itself as the nation's second-biggest party, taking 185 seats in the previous year's National Congress election- nominated one of the perceived heroes of the Tienanmen Square Revolution, Liu Xiaobo, to run against Zhao for them. Liu's policy platform included measures such as increasing taxes on the wealthy, establishing a universal healthcare system in China and acquitting any and all students prosecuted during the Tienanmen protests.

Initially, Liu seemed to have a good chance of winning out, especially due to the sympathy of Western politicians and activists for his previous activism, policies and agenda. During his campaign, his endorsements ranged from US President Jerry Brown to Australian PM Bob Hawke to (predictably enough) the rock band U2. However, Liu's antipathy towards Western culture made him often half-hearted in his response to this support, and Zhao's campaign endlessly repeated his infamous quote from 1988 about how China 'needs 300 years of colonialism' to get to the level of freedom and prosperity of Hong Kong. Liu also publicly clashed with Chai Ling, the leader of the Progressives in the National Congress, who had opposed his nomination and believed he had used the student protests for his own political gain, having been in the US when they first came to prominence.

In response to Liu's vigorous, if flawed, campaign, Zhao moderated his approach. He highlighted his expelling of hardliners like Li Peng from the Kuomintang despite their protestations of the expansion of Chinese democracy and the end of authoritarian rule, pointed to more positive investment into Chinese industry in the second two quarters of 1990, and most influentially, declared he would create a universal healthcare system for China to operate in tandem with the health insurance policy already in place, based on the copayment-based Japanese system implemented in the 1960s and initially set at 50% each of funds paid by the government and the individual.

This last point was a huge boon to Zhao's chance of re-election- it was far more economical than the system the Progressives posed, which satisfied both most of the Kuomintang base and most of the Chinese public who were concerned about both the absence of universal healthcare and the cost of implementing it. On top of that, the first ever Chinese presidential debate, held the week before the election on the 30th November, saw both candidates put in a solid performance, but Zhao's closing statement, where he declared, 'If I may, I would just like to say I am extremely proud of the fact that in two short years, China has abandoned dictatorship and become a nation where I am accountable to my people. I hope that they will choose to give me another term as their President,' not only came off as humble but reinforced the idea that Zhao was a reformist who had a record of dramatically changing China's politics for the better.

upload_2019-11-1_17-58-30.png

Ultimately, Zhao won by an 11.4% margin, the smallest of any Chinese presidential election until 2010. Despite Liu losing, many felt the election, and the fairly peaceful manner in which it had taken place, had been beneficial for China. It was technically the biggest democratic election in world history, due to the enormous population of the country and the highest turnout ever seen in a Chinese election (even the 1989 elections had seen lower turnout of 65.1%, with some voters choosing not to vote due to the perception that the Kuomintang had not left enough time for any other parties to mobilize), and even many of Liu's supporters were not as disheartened as they might have been, since Zhao seemed willing to implement a number of their more significant policies and because the Progressives had clearly cemented their status as the main opposition to the Kuomintang.

I am not surprised as the west would have technology and China manpower.
China has some tech too (albeit not as much). While the west was embroiled in the First Great War from 1899 to 1905 China was busy being dragged kicking and screaming into the modern world by Fong Yan (a fictional character btw), who was basically more powerful than the Emperor by the end of it

KxzQ5Wc.png

Electors of the Holy Roman Empire
Every Holy Roman Emperor is selected by six electors, who have been assigned as far back as in 1356 with the Golden Bull. Original six electors were: Prince-Bishop of Mainz, Prince-Bishop of Cologne, Prince-Bishop of Trier, Margrave of Brandenburg, Duke of Bavaria (alternating with Count Palatine, title of which was later inherited by Bavarian Wittelsbachs) and King of Bohemia. As Kingdom of Bohemia fell outside the Empire, to the hands of Polish King, it was replaced with Duchy of Brunswick-Luneberg. This set of Electors was confirmed by 1868 Constitutional Bull which restructured the Empire to make it more modern state in form under which we know it to this day.​

FDR the Eternal
It's not totally clear how President Franklin D. Roosevelt is still alive. Biologically speaking he definitely is alive and kicking, so he's not undead. There are rumors he carried out some kind of magical ritual to live forever. Or obtained the legendary Philosopher's stone. Or found the Fountain of Youth. Or maybe he was selected by God as the natural leader of the US as the Rooseveltians think. But what is clear is that President Roosevelt has served as president for nearly 9 decades by now. Many of his rivals, from Herbert Hoover to John McCain, are dead and buried. Over half his running mates likewise are gone. But FDR remains.

Why do people keep electing him? Well, there's always something he is prepared to tinker with. Always grasping ahead seeking to advance those Four Freedoms he supported back during the Second World War. There's always something else to aspire towards. Universal healthcare. Guaranteed minimum income. An end to climate change. Worldwide democratization. There is always something new he can demand on the campaign trail and there is always enough passion from the man himself that he inevitably triumphs. Some never had a chance-Gary Johnson never found his footing, Joe McCarthy was a nutcase and Pat Buchanan was too extreme. Some have come close to unseating him however-Reagan was within 5 points two out of three of his challenges to Roosevelt and if it hadn't been for Ron Paul, McCain might've won the popular vote. But in the end, Roosevelt remains.

There are of course drawbacks to having the world's oldest man as a longtime leader. The propaganda disadvantage was an issue back in the Cold War and even in the post-Soviet world, Roosevelt's stubbornness has stymied diplomacy with the likes of China and Iran. Civil rights was a nonstarter nationally for him-he was willing to desegregate the federal government, but Roosevelt ultimately cared more about keeping the Dixiecrats in his corner than ensuring racial equality. And it's probably best not to bring up the LGBT community around him either. The Supreme Court is double the size it was when Roosevelt took office-either a brilliant reform that makes it operate better or yet another overreach by the Roosevelt administration depending on who you ask. The federal government is quite bloated by this point and even FDR staff agree things may have gotten a bit out of hand. But that won't change under Roosevelt. It never does.

2019-11-01.png

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Something from Hail, Britannia:

rd293tC.png

Vietnam is a major region of Southeast Asia, part of the broader Indochina region, which consists of three sovereign states: the Socialist Republic of Tonkin, the State of Annam, and the Republic of Cochinchina. Vietnam is bordered by the Federal Republic of China to the north, the Kingdom of Laos and Kingdom of Cambodia to the west, and the South China Sea to the east and south. As of 2018, the region has a population of over 95 million people.

Ancient Vietnam was inhabited as early as the Paleolithic age, and by the 2nd century BCE northern Vietnam was annexed by China for over a millennium. Early independence movements were temporarily successful, although prior to the 10th century Vietnam had gained autonomy, but not sovereignty, under Chinese rule. The first independent Vietnamese state emerged in the 10th century, paving the way for successive royal and imperial dynasties as the nation expanded geographically southward along the coast of the Indochina Peninsula. Beginning in the 16th century, Vietnam was engulfed by civil strife, political infighting and civil wars between factions of the nobility, with the Nguyễn dynasty leading the expansion into the Central Highlands and the Mekong Delta and eventually dominating the region.

Between the 16th and 19th centuries, the entire country gradually came under colonial rule, as Vietnam’s sovereignty was eroded by successive French military conquests. By 1884, the entirety of Vietnam was under French control as part of the union of French Indochina, with the southern part forming the colony of Cochinchina, and the central and northern parts separated into the protectorates of Annam and Tonkin. Most French settlers were concentrated in Cochinchina, with the colonial administration imposing significant political and cultural changes on Vietnamese society. Despite several violent uprisings, the French largely ignored increasing demands for civil rights and self-government, focusing of the development of a plantation economy to promote exports of tobacco, tea and coffee.

French control collapsed during the Second World War, when the war in East Asia led to the Chinese invasion of French Indochina in 1940. Afterwards, Kuomintang China allowed the pro-Vichy French colonial government to continue, while stationing troops in the region and exploiting its national resources to support Chinese military campaigns. Following the defeat of Kuomintang China in 1946, anarchy, rioting and murder were widespread across Vietnam as the colonial administrative services had collapsed. In the aftermath of the war, the Việt Minh, a nationalist liberation movement based on Communist ideology, occupied Hanoi, proclaiming a provisional government, led by Hồ Chí Minh, which asserted national independence for all of Vietnam. This proclamation clashed with the agreement of the Allied powers that Vietnam still belonged to the French, despite the weakened state of France following the German occupation.

Initially, British Commonwealth forces maintained order and helped France re-establish control, while the Provisional Government of France rejected the demands of the Việt Minh, although Cochinchina was granted an autonomous government, and dispatched military forces to restore colonial rule. The resulting Việt Minh guerrilla campaign in opposition to French rule led to the outbreak of the First Indochina War, which became the first proxy war of the Cold War, between France backed by the British and the Soviet-backed Việt Minh. The war ended in 1954 with the Geneva Accords that dismantled French Indochina into five states; the Kingdom of Cambodia, the Kingdom of Laos, the Republic of Cochinchina, the State of Annam, and the Socialist Republic of Tonkin. The latter three states were created from the colonial regions of French Vietnam, but the division was intended to be temporary until elections in 1956, although the Accords were vague as to how reunification was to occur.

In 1955, Ngô Đình Diệm, the Prime Minister of Annam seized power from King Bảo Đại in a military-backed coup that placed Bảo Đại under house arrest in the Huế Royal Citadel and concentrated political power in the hands of the prime minister. The 1956 re-election of anti-communist Nguyễn Phan Long as President of Cochinchina further diminished the possibility of Vietnamese reunification. Unresolved conflicts in the region intensified after the First Indochina War, with Tonkin and Soviet-backed communist initiating guerrilla wars in Annam and Cochinchina, whilst Tonkin invaded Laos in support of the insurgents there. With the French withdrawal from Indochina, the British Commonwealth and United Nations assumed financial and military support for Cochinchina and Annam. The resulting conflict, the Second Indochina War, became a Cold War-era proxy war between Britain and the Soviets, with direct military engagement beginning after the 1964 Gulf of Tonkin incident. The war spread across Indochina and parts of southern China, encompassing the civil wars in Laos and Cambodia and the cross-strait conflict between China and Hainan, and resulted in 6 million dead.

In 1978, the Vietnamese Armistice Agreement brought about a complete cessation of hostilities of the Second Indochina War pending a peaceful settlement. A final peace treaty has never been signed, and the Vietnamese conflict has been ongoing ever since. The signed armistice established the North and South Vietnamese Demilitarised Zones, the de facto borders between the three nations. In the late-20th century, Tonkin and Annam became economically and politically isolated under socialist and totalitarian military regimes respectively, while Cochinchina transitioned to a democratic republic. In the 1990s, Tonkin initiated a series of economic and political reforms that facilitated the country’s integration into world politics and the global economy, and the country is now one of the fastest-growing economies. Cochinchina is a highly developed country, a member of the Commonwealth of Nations and the Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere, and the country is a global leader in technology with a high standard of living. Since the 1963 coup, Annam has been governed as a dominant-party state, with sham elections and all political power held by the military under a powerless monarch, and since 1978 the country has become increasingly economically and politically isolated, described as a “hermit kingdom”.

Cross-border cooperation between the three Vietnamese states is non-existent, and although all three are members of the United Nations, they are not recognised as sovereign states by each other. Proposals for Vietnamese reunification – known as “Pan-Vietnamism” – have some support, mainly in Cochinchina and the overseas Vietnamese diaspora.

WOROHYv.png

Last edited:
royamerica_funnyrevolution.png

Wikibox for a mini-timeline I want to work on from time-to-time. No official name, I just call it Royamerica. Enjoy the wikibox and feel free to ask questions!​

Status
Not open for further replies.