Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes V (Do Not Post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure being in this room without being major landed nobility is a great way to get strangled for delivering the wrong kind of mineral water.

43P6ytC.png

In this world with all these nobilities and where all the influencers, famous politicians and role model are royals , Japan doesn't have an emperor.

Neither do Brazil, a country that usually keep their monarchy in Alternate History.

I love it.

The lack of china is worrying, morally speaking, especially with this seemingly militaristic japan...

I would kill for a world map

Last edited:
In this world with all these nobilities and where all the influencers, famous politicians and role model are royals , Japan doesn't have an emperor.

Neither do Brazil, a country that usually keep their monarchy in Alternate History.

I love it.

Japan and Russia do still have their monarchies, but the monarchs there are limited in terms of power, with Russia being a true constitutional monarchy and Japan still being a shogunate. Brazil, though, is an actual republic.

The lack of china is worrying, morally speaking, especially with this seemingly militaristic japan...

China never developed nuclear weapons in TTL. The cost was too prohibitive, and the foreign creditors who increasingly funded the Chinese government in the later half of the 20th century were very strict with where the money could be appropriated.

77RyXUd.png

Japanese Parliamentarian Election of 2001 was a snap election called by incumbent President Rango Takanao on June 14th,2001 at the insistence of the ministry of polls and electoral data, urging more information on the various local political parties that made up the People's Assembly. Under pressure of an alarming recession within the Japanese economy, Takanao's Minister of Corruption Yen Jiaming (OCD) would officially announce mandatory bribes to ensure the payment of government workers. President Takanao would immediately force Jiaming's resignation as the OCD party chairman would offer himself to lead the Ministry of Corruption. The offer was hastily accepted as a large seafood scandal also broke out around the same time, dropping the value of Japanese oysters and hurting their overseas competitiveness with western traders and companies.

Issues were also brought up by the long term rival/It's complicated of the Hobo-National party, the Patriotic Solidarity party. These included the recent suicide bombing in an Osaka diner which was linked to the Beatles just as a middle finger to the United Kingdom. The Patriotic Solidarity party accused it's right wing ex of being too soft on the armed forces, urging harsher action against british overseas territories. Wanting to bring some fame to the nation, Takanao under the table would agree to this, but only if Genji Romanov would lead the forces and take all the blame when they failed. After a two hour war over Jeju island in which the Imperial Japanese Navy lost one of it's aircraft carriers to british missile strikes, a peace treaty would be signed in the Imperial Palace.

Takanao's plans of starting scandals and shit just to fuck with his political rivals and other parties seemed to be working like clockwork. There was healthy discussion about the future currency of the nation, with plans to either finally back the paper currency of kasai notes with a combination of rusted metals or silver, or alternate solutions being hatched in getting rid of the currency and replacing it with a temporary solution of the Soviet Dollar before officially melting down several gold reserve places and having those gold coins be the main currency in replacing the Kasai note entirely. Dockyard Cooperation, Heavenly Annihilation, Armed Independence, Conservative Confederate and Hobo National all were in favor or replacing the currency with a permanent solution that the nation would be proud of.

Memorable Quotes along the Campaign Trail

"Kensin has repeatedly said he wants war with the Irish. The Irish provide us with sweet, tasty beer. If you love Ireland AND beer, vote Chosokabe Communist. This message has been paid for by the Form to Elect Chosokabe Communist Members."
Anti-Conservative Confederacy commercial airing on Shikoku TV from June 18th to July 23rd.

"I'm Jin Yo Sung, and I support a full scale war with the Soviet Union. If you like nuclear war, please, give me your poor, your huddle votes, yearning to vote our constituents into office and to allow me to do sweet fuck all for about three years until the next election when I have to pull accomplishments out of my ass to get your vote again. It's a catchy slogan."
Carboard Stepp leader Jin Yo Sung at a campaign rally in Hokkaido on July 5th.

"Rango Takanao says he supports healthcare for the elderly... but when his back was turned he said this:"
"Just take the elderly out with the bathwater, our younger voters will love us for that" *laughter*
"Rango Takanao, a candidate that turns his back on the old and sick just for some 'hip new' voters."
"I'm Katsu Nomishide and I support our most treasured fossils-I mean old people-I mean our most treasured resource. I'm not just asking for you to vote for me, I want YOUR vote for the OCD. This message has been paid for by Oda Clanist Democratic Front Against Takanao Political Action Committee"

Oda Clanist Democratic commercial airing in Echigo Province

"Don't Just Vote for lil ol me, go out and vote for the OCD!"
Jingle played by OCD campaign vans in Tokyo.
"Dont just vote for the OCD, go out and vote for the CC!"
Counter Jingle sung out by Chosokabe Communist candidate Chosokabe Yamashiro

"Japanese Families are struggling to make ends meat, the nationalist sentiment of our current Prime Minister is out of step with the nation's dear friends of the nuclear family. Our currency is in chaos and he's been lying about it. If you want a political party to take back the reigns from the mad man, please, vote in Ken Makao. He'd vote for you. Ok that's a lie."
Moderate Income Worker's radio advertisement played in Kyoto from June 20th to August 19th

Results
The Results of the election saw somewhat noteworthy gains by the Hobo Nationalist incumbents, with an increase from 41 to 56. Patriotic Solidarity would see one of it's members lose a seat to the Hobos. The Conservative Confederates would see a loss of three of their seats in parliament. Moderate Income, Moderate Solutions and Armed Independents would all suffer the loss of a soul member. The OCD, thoroughly condemned by the commercial they had run against Nomishide, which backfired, would lose close to double digit number of seats, with Nomishide barely holding on to his own seat with a slim margin of just 1400 votes.

The Hokkaido Union Party, not in the business of looking for gains to their seat count and focused entirely on keeping their soul representative, kept their wish with a victory in Hokkaido over their rival Hokkaido Independence Party. (A referendum would be held in 2007 which would see a slim victory for an independence, with an actual declaration of independence declared the next year after successful negotiations with Kyoto and Tokyo.)

The Efforts of Ho Ji Ung in keeping the Independent Conservative party's messages of once winner issues of religion and moderate taxes failed to resonate with the loss of 4 of it's members. The Cardboard Stepp was almost annihilated with it's performance of a record low 0.29% of the electorate, saved only from suffering one more defeat thanks to a resistant and persistent member in Tosa. The Snap election had the independent result of judging the people's mandate on the reign of Hobo National, giving them until the 2004 next election to think of solutions to the nation's woes.

Deleted member 81475

Done With Dick: The Elections of 1964 and 1968

yxnvmko.png
zZT3ipV.png

Man did Anderson get lucky. His first set of base rolls were a 75, 78, 99, 69, and 90 out of 100 (for an average of 82.2). His foreign policy rolls across both terms were 99 and 90. The man made the Soviets look like absolute fools multiple times. The only bad roll he got was the economy toward in his second term which took a serious downturn, though Willkie still managed a narrow electoral victory (a Pyrrhic one, as one can see in the portraits chosen by TTL's Wikipedia editors).

Man did Anderson get lucky. His first set of base rolls were a 75, 78, 99, 69, and 90 out of 100 (for an average of 82.2). His foreign policy rolls across both terms were 99 and 90. The man made the Soviets look like absolute fools multiple times. The only bad roll he got was the economy toward in his second term which took a serious downturn, though Willkie still managed a narrow electoral victory (a Pyrrhic one, as one can see in the portraits chosen by TTL's Wikipedia editors).

So how do you do the rolls/decide what to roll for? I'm genuiently curious.

Deleted member 81475

So how do you do the rolls/decide what to roll for? I'm genuiently curious.

Each term has a few base rolls like most election games. There are a few for assassinations and health of the POTUS and VP and then five 1d100 base rolls which modify later ones: Economy, Domestic Policy (modified by Congressional control), Foreign Policy, Social Harmony, and Administration Integrity. Those modify rolls concerning events happening in the administration, which I come up with based on the last few terms and the results of a few dice rolls (does an unexpected crisis break out, does a natural disaster take place).

So 1st term Anderson avoided a Cuban Missile Crisis (also modified by the Soviets being less willing to test him than they were the youthful Kennedy) but his 99 roll influenced the sub-rolls for 'Cuba drifting into Soviet Sphere' such that Castro was assassinated and a pro-US leader was able to quickly assume power. Which in turn weakened the Soviet sphere slightly and slightly changed Florida's election values because the Cubans there could go back home.

Things went less well for poor Phil Willkie who had a mental health roll due to his OTL death and the economic crisis he found himself in. His low roll made him the first president to commit suicide (a trauma for a somewhat idealistic Kennedy assassination free nation).

01: 1d100-30
02-13: 1d100-20
13-25: 1d100-15
25-37: 1d100-10
37-49: 1d100-5
50: Flat 1d100
51-63: 1d100+5
63-75: 1d100+10
75-87: 1d100+15
87-99: 1d100+20
100: 1d100+30

daondm0-7bd252ce-9b4a-4853-972a-ba584f566103.png

Here we have an alternate history story from the book, "Alternate Presidents". The short story is called, "How the South Preserved the Union" by Ralph Roberts. Out of all the stories so far, this one is my favorite. The scenario is that, soon after their Inauguration in 1849, both President Zachary Taylor and Vice-President Millard Fillmore were killed in a carriage accident, resulting in President Pro Tempore, David Rice Atchison being sworn in as President. Because of Atchison was very pro slavery, a faction of Abolitionists began to form in New England, calling for secession. The story is told through the point of view of Sam Garrison, who is appoint "National Security Advider" by President Atchison, who recalls this Civil War on a train ride back to his home in Missouri.

Sam Garrison is sent to the of Elba in the State of New York where he meets the Abolitionist John Brown and Senator Daniel Webster to talk them out of secession. The latter will later become the President of the newly formed "Confederacy of North America" with the former the Commander of the Army. Despite Garrison's efforts, the State of Massachusetts secedes, resulting in the Second Battle of Lexington and Concord between the U.S. Army and the "New Minutemen", resulting in the latter being the victor. The New Minutemen's victory causes the rest of New England to secede along with the States of New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. It is said that Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan followed suit but it is not confirmed.

In 1852, the United States suffers many defeats at the hands of the Confederate Army led by John Brown. What gives the Confederacy an advantage is through numbers, the amount of experienced veterans of the Mexican American War, and that the weapon manufacturers Colt and Srpingfield are in Confederate hands, as they are located in Connecticut and Massachusetts, respectively. After the U.S. Army's defeat at the Battle of Gettysburg, Secretary Henry Clay proposes that the United States recruit Slaves work in the factories to produce weapons, allowing more men to be drafted into the Army. This proposal was followed by a suggestion by John C. Calhoun of South Carolina to put slaves into uniform and sent to the front as well. Both of these proposals were accepted and passed. We next see our characters in Richmond a year later as Washington is captured by the Confederates. The plan to arm slaves and send to the front and put slaves to work in the factories wasn't working out as planned. The Confederates seem to have the upper hand as they manage to burn down Atlanta, capture New Orleans, and take control of Delaware, Maryland, and Northern Virginia. As a last resort, President Atchison enforces an "Emancipation Proclamation", promising that any save who is in the military and working the factories will be guaranteed their freedom, which ultimately works. The proclamation is a success, which creates a large boost in moral among the slaves, or former slaves at this point. The U.S. Army under General Winfield Scott began scoring victory after victory against John Brown and the Confederates. What really helped the United States was an advance in military technology, such as new artillery pieces, the creation of a repeating rifle by an unnamed slave, and the creation of a new Army Corps called the "Air Corps" which consists of Hot Air Balloons and dropping bombs down on the enemy. By 1855, the last of the Confederate forces had surrendered, Daniel Webster had passed aware, and John Brown was hanged. Later in 1861, President Stephen A. Douglas abolished slavery in the United States forever.

Now here are some interesting things in from book:

1. The "Civil War" in our time line is written as a Dime Novel, of which our protagonists finds on a train in the 1880's. He found the novel to be rather dumb, which leads him to recount war he had known.

2. Abraham Lincoln is mentioned in the story. Garrison didn't think highly of him as he scoffed at the idea of being president after reading the previously mentioned Dime Novel. In this time line's 1865, Lincoln was shot in a tavern by an actor named John Wilkes Booth over some theater tickets.

3. George Custer survives the Battle of Little Big Horn and becomes President. Buffalo Bill is said to be a politician in this time line as well, but it isn't confirmed if he was President or not.

4. Sam Garrison later becomes President Atchison's Secretary of State during his second term and later becomes Senator of Missouri in 1860.

Also, I would to address the wiki box above. It doesn't state the specific date when Taylor and Fillmore die, so I chose the mostly likely date, despite the book saying that Sam Garrison is recalled to Washington D.C. in February. I assume this to be an oversight. In regards to Atchison's Vice President, it never really states who he is, so I chose the most likely as well.

Lastly, a fun fact, David Rice Atchison was actually President...

...for one day. As the 4th of March, the standard Inauguration Day before 1941 landed on a Sunday, so the date was moved to Monday on the 4th. As President Pro Tempore, Atchison was the acting President for the day until Taylor could be sworn in.

Status
Not open for further replies.