Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes V (Do Not Post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And this is the first time I think that I'm going stand on this hill to oppose the mod action. There is absolutely no way that the post was opinionated at all which shouldn't require something "offensive" to be censored. For being an Alternate History forum, you guys really can't understand that "what ifs" can be horrible and still be discussed without implying that you believe in those views.

I thought the wikibox was an intriguing representation of what slavery could look like in modern world, which would further cement how terrible the world could be in a TL where, say, the CSA won the Civil War.

Yeah its terrible, I don't fully think anybody sane would argue that owning people as slaves is a good thing. But that shouldn't bar us from talking about it. I mean it happened in OTL, why shouldn't it happen in other TLs?

And again, because I know I have to say it otherwise y'all assume the worst, I am not defending slavery or racism or any deplorable act of being an asshole. All I'm defending is the ability to write about terrible acts in a non-opinionated way no matter how extreme it is.

Y'all don't get mad over wikiboxes of genocides, assassinations, terrorism, ect. Why did this become the thing you couldn't stomach?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
And this is the first time I think that I'm going stand on this hill to oppose the mod action. There is absolutely no way that the post was opinionated at all which shouldn't require something "offensive" to be censored. For being an Alternate History forum, you guys really can't understand that "what ifs" can be horrible and still be discussed without implying that you believe in those views.

I thought the wikibox was an intriguing representation of what slavery could look like in modern world, which would further cement how terrible the world could be in a TL where, say, the CSA won the Civil War.

Yeah its terrible, I don't fully think anybody sane would argue that owning people as slaves is a good thing. But that shouldn't bar us from talking about it. I mean it happened in OTL, why shouldn't it happen in other TLs?

And again, because I know I have to say it otherwise y'all assume the worst, I am not defending slavery or racism or any deplorable act of being an asshole. All I'm defending is the ability to write about terrible acts in a non-opinionated way no matter how extreme it is.

Y'all don't get mad over wikiboxes of genocides, assassinations, terrorism, ect. Why did this become the thing you couldn't stomach?
I don't react to wikiboxes over genocide because they are not reported. Report them in the future and the Mods will be happy to review them.

The post in question was, frankly, appalling. It was very well done, detail was exceptional. It also made me throw-up in my mouth a little. I waited several hours after the first viewing of the report simply because my knee-jerk reaction was going to be emotion based and therefore likely wrong.

I took no formal action on the poster, not even a formal warning. Why? The poster has been here for four years, has over 6,000 posts, and has an unblemished records. What I did was remove a truly offensive post before it turned into a flame war.

That is also part of the Mod's job here, preventing forest fires.

upload_2018-11-16_11-20-13.png

I think this is a bad move. Yes, the wikibox was a lot towards the edge of what's okay. As it turns out, so was chattel slavery. Punishing a user by removing their content because it was too effective at making you feel horror at the effects of slavery seems a little absurd to me.

I think this is a bad move. Yes, the wikibox was a lot towards the edge of what's okay. As it turns out, so was chattel slavery. Punishing a user by removing their content because it was too effective at making you feel horror at the effects of slavery seems a little absurd to me.

I agree with this notion. I thinking throwing up in your mouth a bit was the intention of the wiki box, and it was a good way of showing the horrors of slavery if it had continued.

I agree with this notion. I thinking throwing up in your mouth a bit was the intention of the wiki box, and it was a good way of showing the horrors of slavery if it had continued.

I think it really depends of the context, if it was an update of an ongoing timeline about surviving slavery, it wouldn’t be as jarring, when it’s thrown with no introduction on this thread it seems like it was done for the shock value. And if it was done in a timeline with events and context surrounding it people would be more likely to have a civil discussion about the info box, rather than here where we have to guess the context.

This entire saga only makes me more curious about the infobox than if it had been allowed to stay, honestly...

Can someone tell me what was the infobox actually about??? Like, in specifics, Ik it was slavery, but what exactly? Now I'm even more curious...

I did not see it, but it seemed to be a real life baseball player playing in a "Negro Baseball League" while being a slave.

It was the pedigree of Andrew Wiggins, who was a player in the "Negro Basketball Association", with language appropriate to a society where slaves are bred like horses to compete in top-level sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.