Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes V (Do Not Post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A wikibox based on a party from elections in my Winters of Discontent TL. (I'm gonna do a National Conservative one as well.)

1591318435929.png

The National Liberal Party was a Eurosceptic, neoliberal political party in the United Kingdom, originally founded in 1988 by five right-wing Conservative MPs, David Evans, Edward Leigh, Nicholas Ridley (who became the party's first leader), Norman Tebbit and Ann Widdecombe, who abandoned the party when the government of Michael Heseltine rejected a private member's bill to restrict the right of European vessels to fish in British waters during the Factortame scandal, arguing that Heseltine was unwilling to protect British sovereignty.

The party's formation proved highly significant and was widely publicised as Ridley and Tebbit were prominent frontbenchers, and the party was praised in editorials in right-wing newspapers such as the Sun, Daily Mail, Daily Express and Daily Telegraph. The party also achieved some immediate electoral success, coming 290 votes short of winning the Kensington by-election in July 1988, only a few months after its founding, and in February 1989 managed to make its first gain, picking up the North Yorkshire seat of Richmond with former Tory student leader William Hague.

At the general election three months later, it ran candidates in 162 seats out of 650 and retained five of the six seats it had held at dissolution (the exception being Ann Widdecombe's seat of Burnley, which ironically the party lost not to the Tories but to Labour) and won 2.6% of the popular vote; analysts suggested that its vote had been much better concentrated than most previous minor parties and its candidates were more high-profile, hence why they had held their seats so successfully, and its decision to not run a full slate of candidates and risk losing many deposits was seen as a shrewd one.

During the following Parliament, the party initially proved fairly low profile, with John Smith's Labour Party generally overshadowing it in terms of criticizing the Heseltine government; its members even supported Heseltine's implementation of the anti-gay Section 28 and the Poll Tax. However, after Heseltine's successor John Major faced a significant rebellion from fifty-five Conservative MPs on the ratification of the Maastricht Treaty and forty five of them resigned the Conservative whip, on Hague's recommendation to one of the most senior rebels, Nick Budgen, those forty-five MPs joined the Nat Libs, marking the first time since 1929 that more than two parties had over 50 seats in the House of Commons.

However, the National Liberals quickly came under far greater scrutiny following this, as infighting between its MPs (most prominently between Hague and Budgen) was highlighted in the press and their commitment to British sovereignty was called into question when its new MPs refused to resign their seats and defend their new allegiances at by-elections. A further humiliation came when the party came a distant second to the Liberals in the Christchurch by-election in July 1993, where the party had been hopeful for a gain.

When the 1993 election was called in August, the infighting became a bigger problem, exemplified by a row between Hague and Budgen where Budgen declared without consulting Hague that the Nat Libs would support a Tory government in a confidence and supply arrangement if Major abandoned the Maastricht Treaty, and a recording leaked to the press showed Hague snapping at Budgen, "This isn't your bloody party, it's mine!" This fiasco caused the party to plummet in the polls, and it was also hurt by its steadfast opposition to Maastricht on any terms rather than simply opposing the Social Chapter like the Tories or wanting the Chapter implemented to protect workers' rights as Labour did and by the fact it chose to run candidates in 483 seats, many of which it had little to no chance of winning.

Of the 50 seats they had held at dissolution, the Nat Libs retained 24, beat the Tories to every seat they had previously held (though many lost their seats to other parties, including Budgen, who lost lost his Wolverhampton South West seat to Labour), and secured 4.9% of the national popular vote. While this was a sizeable accomplishment for the party, it was greatly overshadowed by the massive Labour victory and the sizeable gains by the Liberals, with many Conservatives viewing it as having damaged their party's chances. On top of this, 305 Nat Lib candidates lost their deposits, putting the party in considerable debt.

After the election of ardent Eurosceptic and former Defence Secretary Michael Portillo as Tory leader in December 1993, he made overtones towards cooperation with the Nat Libs and spoke privately with Hague and other senior figures in the party about organising a non-competition pact for the next election. As a step towards this, the two parties arranged a new policy platform called 'Back to Basics' to campaign for traditional values and responsible (limited) government. However, this quickly backfired when scandals started to come out about Tory and Nat Lib MPs behaving in decidedly improper ways.

Following the death of John Smith and his succession as Prime Minister by Tony Blair, the Nat Libs and Tories decided reforming into a single party was the only way they had a chance of defeating him at the next election, both because of the Nat Libs' shortage of funds and because of the splitting of the right-wing vote; as a sweetener for the Nat Libs, Hague was promised a major cabinet position. Consequently, in April 1995, the National Executive Committees (NECs) of both the Tories and the Nat Libs declared that their parties would be wound up and fused into one new party, the National Conservative Party. A small handful of members of the Nat Libs and Tories refused to join the new merged party, but the continuity National Liberal Party did not retain any of the party's MPs and has not been able to make any electoral breakthroughs beyond the district council level.

So I was bored and deiced to make a wikibox for a TL where Mannerheim becomes King of Finland and lives nine years longer then IOTL I don't know why other than I was talking about Finland in Britannia Rules the Stars.
Gustaf I.PNG

Last edited:
1591371763222.png

Transporting fiction through time has seemed to become a theme for me. The Magnus Archives was an old radio drama series. Douglass Adams helped with a few episodes of its first season, with a notably lighter tone then the rest. The second series onwards, the series really cemented its tone.

Deleted member 92121

10 men and women from the 25th century U.S.
(but it's a Post-apocalyptic Dark Age)
1591415123096.png
1591415520468.png
1591415354392.png
1591415389250.png
1591415446958.png

1591415667631.png
1591415644930.png
1591415571702.png
1591415213024.png
1591415174666.png

Just some fun to cheer everyone up in these times. Feel free to ask about lore, I'm come up with a bunch of stuff.​

View attachment 554668View attachment 554675View attachment 554672View attachment 554673View attachment 554674
View attachment 554680View attachment 554679View attachment 554678 View attachment 554671View attachment 554669
Just some fun to cheer everyone up in these times. Feel free to ask about lore, I'm come up with a bunch of stuff.​
First, wow. Second, amazing! Third, what has happened with North America? (in special California, Mexico, the Great Lakes and New Orleans)Also, amazing once more

View attachment 554668View attachment 554675View attachment 554672View attachment 554673View attachment 554674
View attachment 554680View attachment 554679View attachment 554678 View attachment 554671View attachment 554669
Nice Brooklyn 99 reference

Sure. I do have a few questions...
  • Does the post-American cultural sphere still have contact with, or at least recall, the Hawaiian islands?
  • How did St. Louis become home to "New Rome"?
  • How did Comancheria form?
  • Was the "Al-" part of the Amazonian Bezoses' names initially spelled with an "i"?

Deleted member 92121

First, wow. Second, amazing! Third, what has happened with North America? (in special California, Mexico, the Great Lakes and New Orleans)Also, amazing once more
Thanks for the praise! I meant to leave the cataclysm that created this world vague. It could be happening right now, it could happen in a century. The cities are not irradiated though, that's an important point.
As for the regions you asked about, to be brief:

By the dawn of the 26th Century:

California stands as a bastion of culture and power under the Chill Emperors. Most populous of the lands in North America, Los Angeles is the largest city west of the Mississippi (followed by Des Moines, Laredo and Niorleans), though few east of the Rockies have heard about it in detail. And yet, by the dawn of the 26th century the Empire is just coming out of a half century long crisis. Known as the "Triggered Age", the 50 year long rule of Chill Emperor Kevin was most uncool and...like...not relaxed at all. Taxes were raised, crops failed, and wars were fought. When Kevin tried to supress the Googlian Techguy cult in Palo Alto, the Amazonian Technate invaded and seized the whole of the Portlandian Province. Some years later Kevin was deemed as having lost the "Chill", and was forcefully sent to ride the light fantastic by the Provincial Governor of Sanfran. Thus ended the first Imperial Dynasty.

Mexico is a collection of small states and feuds with drastically different levels of organization. Ciudad de Mexico is still a bustling Metropolis, home to the Southern Pope. Most of the north was recently conquered by the Laredoan Empire. Though Protectora Isabel IV (direct descendant of the legendary savior of Laredo known only as Machete) rules only in name. Most of the power remains with the city council or the powerful Luchadores who command her legions.

The Great Lakes are one of the most diverse and populous regions of North America. Inhabited by a number of city-states that trade, deal and war with one another. Only 3 weeks ride from Des Moines, the city of Milwaukee was a small town 50 years ago. Now the streets are paved, the old concrete buildings repaired, and the armies march through it with hunger in their eyes. For this is the rule of Ian the Old. Who long ago realized that, if his family cannot unify the lakes through peaceful means, they shall do so with violence. Many are the towns he burned down. And soon no living soul will remember the name "Green Bay". For Milwaukee stands as the sole center of power in the lakes, to which every ounce of wealth flows.

Niorleans will always be the gate to the Mississippi. Many sail through it daily, and the River bosses all the way to Illinois pay it prestige in one way or the other. Yet not all come to trade in this great city. As the mysterious quarters also house magic. The miracles that the Pope fails to conceive, Mami LeVar get done, it is said. An capable ruler, men do not utter her name lightly. And any talks of a crusade for the city will remain only that for as long as Mami has a say on the matter.

Sure. I do have a few questions...
  • Does the post-American cultural sphere still have contact with, or at least recall, the Hawaiian islands?
  • How did St. Louis become home to "New Rome"?
  • How did Comancheria form?
  • Was the "Al-" part of the Amazonian Bezoses' names initially spelled with an "i"?
1) Imperial ships do trade with Hawaii, though the route is dangerous. And those that return speak of a strange and mighty empire whose symbol is a round bizarre bird, conquering isle after isle. Its land was not found in any map.
2) That was mostly inspired by the classic "A canticle for Leibowitz". The Pope in New Rome is one of 2 contesting the legacy of Saint Peter (there's actually 4 in the Americas but he doesn't know that).
3) Follolwing the cataclysm there were still those in the hills of Oklahoma that remembered the old way. And the old way was ripe for a return.
4) You got it. A.I. is a piece of info that the Techguy cults adopted to their names. They worship the ancient prophets of tech that could harness its power and perform its strange magic. The Amazonians have recently imposed their cannon that the Blessed Bezos was the great prophet, above the likes of Gates and Jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.