Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes V (Do Not Post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the creation of the black ethnostate enables segregation by making it easier for white supremacists to separate the races.
Agreed, but it makes for a really interesting TL. It's possible to make a TL that isn't purely good or purely bad, which is what I believe Planita is going for

The Melting Pot: A Vignette Series

GYULA FUCKING WORKING.png

(Author's note: This is the most work I've put into a wikibox. I searched google for Gyula Gömbös signature as I was unsatisfied with the lack of signature for the Presidential Wikibox. Unfortunately it was written on a post card, so I in my infinite wisdom, decided to manually erase all of the edges around the signature. And even with that addition, I hate this wikibox as I was unable to add the awards I wanted to, because each time I tried the box broke. So there. And it's only now that I realized I fucked up the dates for the years of service.)
Gyula Gömbös (1886-1936) is by and large one of the most loved and the most controversial Presidents in American history. Born to humble origins, which some have argued was the most underprivileged of any American President, Gömbös was the child of very poor Hungarian immigrants in the autumn of 1886. Despite the discrimination he faced from a young age for his peculiar accent and name- as well as accusations of not truly being white- Gömbös was always proud of his Hungarian heritage and would on many occasions celebrate the fusion of Hungarian culture and American culture, earning him the unending love of various immigrant groups. While growing up, he faced absolute poverty on the streets of Chicago and was forced to be cunning and ruthless to survive. Despite later in life being incredibly well read and intellectual, he received no formal education beyond what he learned as a member of the Illinois National Guard, which he joined as a young man in hopes of achieving social mobility. On the outbreak of US intervention in World War One (or then known as the Great War), Gömbös would transfer over to the army with the rank of Captain. His service in the Second Battle of the Marne and the later Meuse-Argonne Offensive won him numerous accolades, including the Medal of Honor and the Distinguished Service Cross as well as the Purple Heart after he took a bullet to the shoulder in while technically not stationed in a zone of active fighting. Upon his return to America at the end of the war (and a Honorable Discharge), he and his wife wife struggled to make ends meet thanks to the rather poor pension that Gömbös was receiving. Coupled with this was their apparent inability to have children. Distraught, the couple would eventually drift apart. Up until his dying day, Gömbös ensured that money was always sent to his wife despite them having not seen each other in years. Gömbös's big break was his entrance into Chicago city politics. With a an energetic personality, an incredible work ethic, and a flair for the dramatic, the Hungarian electrified the city whenever he spoke and by 1923, he had managed to build a coalition of supporters to send him to City Hall as Mayor of Chicago. During this time he became the target of great controversy for his apparent antisemitism as he targeted bankers and the rich for various crimes both very real and (allegedly) imagined. The antisemitism accusations came as he was accused of targeting Jews disproportionately than other groups as well as speaking in vague terms about rootless cosmopolitans that were pulling the strings of society. The accusations have been seemingly confirmed when during his campaign for the Governor's seat in 1924, Gömbös publicly spoke of a conversation he had with his local priest (Gömbös remained a devout Lutheran until the day he died) and of how he had been shown that his seeming antisemitic rhetoric had hurt people that were in many ways, just like he was. Publicly renouncing his rhetoric and past actions regarding the Jews, Gömbös personally chose to have Jewish lawyer Henry Horner run alongside him as Lieutenant Governor. His victory in November of that year began his long ascent towards the top. His tenure as Governor was marked by major progressive legislation like the increase in Public services, wages to government bureaucrats, and increased funding to State Police as well as active use of the State Government to regulate banks and pressure various state companies into complying with his demands. As the Great Depression set in during the late 1920s, his active approach to the economy stood out among the numerous other Governors who viewed the crisis with fear or indifference. Come 1932, he announced his intentions to seek the Presidency under the Democratic banner. The convention was a long and drawn out affair between himself and Franklin Delano Roosevelt with Gömbös only coming out on top thanks to a deal with the New York Governor that promised him a key position within the Cabinet (Roosevelt would in fact go on to serve as Secretary of the Treasury under Gömbös and Hull before his tragic assassination in 1943). The Vice Presidential vote was a constant back and forth between Texan John Nance Garner and Tennessean Cordell Hull until Hull shockingly overtook Garner. With their ticket set, the Democrats were ready to run against Hoover.

The 1932 campaign saw Gömbös show off his iconic charm and enthusiasm, with him promising to tackle the Depression and his references to a 'Renewed American Dream'. His charisma and populistic style reminded many of the late William Jennings Bryan, a personal hero to Gömbös. The election was not even close. Gömbös prevailed over Hoover and the Republicans by a 10 point margin (56-41) and would only lose Pennsylvania (by a tiny margin) and New England minus Massachusetts, which went Democratic thanks to strong turnout from the Irish American community. From the start, Gömbös proved to be a hard working and disciplined man. After his inauguration on March 4, 1933, the Hungarian would forgo the standard party and instead get right to work meeting with advisers and formulating plans for the country. Despite only being President three years before his untimely death, Gyula Gömbös left the country completely differently than he found it. His First 100 Days saw him propose and his sizable majorities in Congress pass a major stimulus spending package, the Civilian Conservation Corps, the Nationalization of the Banking industry, the National Industry Recovery Act, and the creation of the famous (or infamous if you're a Republican) Mississippi Valley Authority. 1934 saw him create numerous Public Works projects as well as raise the national minimum wage and the creation of Social Security. Whenever the more conservative members of his party threatened to oppose his bills, Gömbös would quite controversially take to the radio and announce to the entire nation that a Senator or Congressman was 'Opposed to Renewing the American Dream' and with letters flooding their inboxes, it became quite difficult to oppose 'President Attila' as some in congress had taken to calling him. On top of this, the President was not afraid to blackmail or manipulate those that opposed him. Rather controversially, the President would also gain the reputation of being a notorious micromanager and would in many cases do the jobs of the members of the Cabinet without telling them unless it was important (with the exception of Secretary Roosevelt, who he worked in close collaboration with). 1935 saw Gömbös establish the 'Agricultural Adjustment Act' and the extremely controversial (and very nearly killed) 'Court Packing Scheme' which ended the attempts of the conservative Supreme Court to stop him from passing what he wanted. In spite of all of this, the President was incredibly popular among the lower classes and even the middle classes. 1936 saw him take a few brief visits to Europe (and all the while he was working on some new proposal or filling out paperwork) where he met with the British Prime Minister to strike up possible trade agreements (in a very limited capacity) as well as the covert affirmation of support for the former Entente powers against the forces of Communism (President Gömbös was a fierce anti-communist). His tour abroad would be ended by his visit to the land of his parents and of his heritage: Hungary. He would describe it in his journal and to the press (as well as Regent Horthy, who Gömbös disliked) as a magical place that was destroyed by a series of tragedies.

The rest of 1936 was devoted to combating the Depression and furious campaigning across the country for his reelection. According to numerous sources including Gömbös's own diaries, the President was apparently convinced that he was going to lose in a landslide now that things were looking better and wanted to ensure that he was not going to lose. However his campaigning and what later turned out to be testicular cancer cut his campaigning short when he collapsed at an event in Baltimore in September. He tried to get back to work a day after being admitted to the hospital, but was in many cases forcibly prevented from working. He would briefly return to the White House on October 1, 1936. Gömbös was determined to not let his sudden bout of illness (from his perspective) kill his chances at reelection. Two days later he was admitted to the hospital in Bethesda, Maryland and never regained consciousness. He would pass away on October 6, 1936. In spite of his fears at losing reelection, his successor Cordell Hull would go on to win in the largest landslide in American history, winning every single state except Vermont and winning over 62% of the popular vote.

Gyula Gömbös remains a beloved figure by Democrats, immigrants, and the poor across the nation to this day. However many conservatives decry him as an authoritarian and a tyrant, which is not without evidence to support that claim. The American Dream Coalition would remain strong during the 40s and early 50s with them being out of power only briefly until the unofficial collapse of the coalition in 1980. Gömbös consistently ranks in the top 5 of the most effective Presidents and is consistently in the Top 3 as the Most Popular President depending on who is being polled.
I apologize for the grammatical errors, grammar is not my strong suit and I've not given it more than a cursory glance for editing.

A large part of that was the utter moron he replaced Hamlin with

Calling him a moron is complimenting him. Johnson was a racist shithead who damaged reconstruction.

Agreed, but it makes for a really interesting TL. It's possible to make a TL that isn't purely good or purely bad, which is what I believe Planita is going for

I mean, sometimes an ethnostate (provided it isn't build in the bones of another ethnic group) can be the best out of a thousand options.

The breakup of Sudan OTL might be necessary since both groups just don't get along.

But if America decides it needs to create an ethnostate for its black population, it ceases to be a nation where you can say "all men are created equal" without irony.

Well, this Lincoln came to power in what appeared to be some legislative coup, served for ten years, and even backed the creation of a black free state-though personally, I feel the creation of the black ethnostate enables segregation by making it easier for white supremacists to separate the races.
I pretty much agree especially since "self segregation-ish" is actually going to be a thing as blacks move to Liberty and Louisiana and whites move out. Its not all sunshine and roses and I want to cover this in the future.
A large part of that was the utter moron he replaced Hamlin with
Well mainly because they had to form a United front during the Civil War and if you look at the Vice President here, it's the same deal.

Last edited:
@Bookmark1995 also to clarify Liberty and Louisiana were black majority to begin with like OTL. Here Lincoln was supporting the democratically elected black government from being overthrown by white supremacists within the state and outside it.

Before reading this page I had no idea just how badly the Conservatives underperformed in 2004. I had always known that they didn't do as well as they had hoped for, but never that it was quite so bad. Which, naturally, led me to wonder: What if they hadn't underperformed?

ExtraAdScam2004.png

(Looking back, I didn't just have them not underperform, but I had them overperform by about 10 seats)

MartinSlide.svg.png

Another wikipage I whipped up quickly, this time a list of Chancellors by time in office. Not really any new information, but I like my statistics.

Ct4PIUK.png

Last edited:
A wikibox from one of my timelines I have been planning where the Business Plot succeeds. This wikibox is the first presidential election after the "Totalitarian Era".
1991 Presidential Election1.png

The 1991 Presidential Election was held as an emergency due to the vacancy in the presidential office because of Reagan's resignation without a vice president. While they could have appointed someone else, with the none actually in the cabinet, due to the whole system being remade, they called an election. The New-Era Republican Party picked George H. W. Bush, he was well received for him being one of the many rebel war heroes. (Also he was endorsed by Reagan). The Centrist Party picked Ross Perot, he was chosen because he was one of the founders of the party. But even though they were the two main parties, a new party was founded... The Progressive Party, they chose the leftist juggernaut, Bernard Sanders. It was obvious they would not win the election, but they showed that it was not just the right and center controlling the government. So the election happened as many predicted, the New-Era Republicans won. But the Progressives did surprisingly well and showed that the leftists were not to easily be ignored. Anyways, the states gotten by the Ross Perot in the upcoming years would normally vote Centrist. The 1995 Presidential election would be not as easily predicted...

A wikibox from one of my timelines I have been planning where the Business Plot succeeds. This wikibox is the first presidential election after the "Totalitarian Era".
View attachment 479562
The 1991 Presidential Election was held as an emergency due to the vacancy in the presidential office because of Reagan's resignation without a vice president. While they could have appointed someone else, with the none actually in the cabinet, due to the whole system being remade, they called an election. The New-Era Republican Party picked George H. W. Bush, he was well received for him being one of the many rebel war heroes. (Also he was endorsed by Reagan). The Centrist Party picked Ross Perot, he was chosen because he was one of the founders of the party. But even though they were the two main parties, a new party was founded... The Progressive Party, they chose the leftist juggernaut, Bernard Sanders. It was obvious they would not win the election, but they showed that it was not just the right and center controlling the government. So the election happened as many predicted, the New-Era Republicans won. But the Progressives did surprisingly well and showed that the leftists were not to easily be ignored. Anyways, the states gotten by the Ross Perot in the upcoming years would normally vote Centrist. The 1995 Presidential election would be not as easily predicted...
I would love to see this become a full tl

View attachment 479562

I'm surprised the son of one of the people involved in the Business Plot ends up being the first post dictatorship president

Status
Not open for further replies.