Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes V (Do Not Post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip

Donor
Does somebody know how to make the Wikipedia-style US Presidential Maps of the electoral college? I mean, I could probably modify it using photoshop, but If there is another way, I'll be glad to know.
Thanks in advance!

There may be a template for it on Wikipedia. If not, grab the svg version. It would be fairly easy to script the process of changing the data.

Vy4wnFZ.png

The Eight Spell District is so named for the special forms of magic available on planets within it. Unlike most other magic-region-specific districts, Eight Spells is unique for how limited use is: Wizards have access to eight, precisely eight, not more or less than but exactly eight spells, that have definite effects: they can create Light, they can Move objects, they can Hide objects from view, they can Shield objects from damage, they can physically Attack an object and attempt to damage it, they can set Fire to an object, they can encase an object in Ice, or they can Kill someone or something. Each of these spells can fail in one of two ways- by simply not working (more likely in proportion to how difficult the wizard would find the activity without magic), or by producing a half-effect- the object moves a little but not all the way, or the fire poofs out like a match that didn't light when you struck it (similarly proportionally likely). Wizards perform these spells by pointing a magic wand or staff at the object and signaling by speech, sign, or text a phrase they've developed individually in training- this generally means wizard traditions and 'families' can be recognized by who uses what words. Anyone can become a wizard, but few people do, because the quest to gain the ability to use magic is difficult and long and involves a lot of sacrifice (including climbing Wizard's Hat on Montague, and Whippoorwill Peak on Rod, and possibly involving murdering someone but no one has actually confirmed this in front of witnesses).

The Eight Spell Conference was an agreement by the wizards of the Eight Spell District, signed by over 600 people, to refuse to use magic to deliberately hurt other people (although some have criticized the document for not expanding this to include all sapient creatures). It was designed to be enacted into law to replace current anti-magic laws (that make all, or all but Light, spells illegal in each of the six counties affected by the Rebellion). Unfortunately for the magic users, people really feel uncomfortable making the 'kill' spells legal amongst other things, even if they do understand that 99% of the time they'd be used against THAT FUCKING CRANEFLY THAT GOT INTO THE HOUSE LAST NIGHT SON OF A BITCH.

EX ALOGIA (Feel free to post questions/comments here or in the main thread!)
Wikiboxes:
Execution of the Bloodmouth GangSca Crian Space FleetUnited Workers of MarybelleMutegard SouthHouse Atlantic'97 (Sprague County Impact)King William VII CeladonGeorge Bush4233 BC in spaceflightJohn LockwoodSylvestrian feverStar swordStyan Prairie Bush WarPeace Obelisk of AvalonCAP Trade UnitThe Trial of Dª Miranda Sofia Martin, lately of Porto VictoriaRockefeller Ocean Oil SpillIskra County Forest PreserveScarlet Bay Correctional FacilityBoeing S314 Space ClipperPost-Impact Ideologies
Short stories:
Five DressesThe AmbassadorConference Room ThreeBroken SwordThat's no moonFrequently asked questions

Ok so, this is my first try EVER at this.
I want to make a series of this, starting oc from the diverging point of the 1948 election in which Thomas Dewey is victorious.

THIS IS DEWEY COUNTRY Ep.1 - An alternate timeline of the events after the 1948 election

November 3rd, 1948

After an intense election night, with the final push of the western states and Virginia, Thomas E. Dewey has surged victorious over unpopular incumbent president Harry S. Truman and has broken sixteen years of Democratic rule.

The polls that predicted a Republican landslide were right, Dewey even overperformed some, and the newspapers who put their bets on making their morning headlines read Dewey Defeats Truman now sigh in relief. Dewey supporters crowd the streets of the major cities of America, especially Dewey's own New York, while Truman's concession speech is broadcasted all over the country.

One hour later it's Dewey's victory speech turn. Millions of Americans tune in as the President-Elect addresses the nation in jubilee.
He promises to bring forward the main points of his platform, such as Social Security expansion, Housing funding, Civil Rights Legislation and the promotion of healthcare and education. He ends his speech with a pledge and request that now we all unite to move the country forward.

However the soon-to-be inhabitant of Pennsylvania 1600 faces some challenges: the Republicans have kept control of Congress, but an important chunk of his fellow party members represent the conservative wing of the party led by Ohio Senator and former contender for the Republican nomination Robert A. Taft. It seems that Dewey will have to either back down on his quite liberal campaign promises, or search for the support of at least some part of the New Deal Democrats from the Roosevelt Era.

However, for now, these worries lose themselves amongst the cheering and shouting of the partying crowds.

Any feedback, on the infoboxes or on how we could make this history progress, is highly welcome!

Infobox1.JPG

Last edited:
The Eight Spell District is so named for the special forms of magic available on planets within it. Unlike most other magic-region-specific districts, Eight Spells is unique for how limited use is: Wizards have access to eight, precisely eight, not more or less than but exactly eight spells, that have definite effects: they can create Light, they can Move objects, they can Hide objects from view, they can Shield objects from damage, they can physically Attack an object and attempt to damage it, they can set Fire to an object, they can encase an object in Ice, or they can Kill someone or something. Each of these spells can fail in one of two ways- by simply not working (more likely in proportion to how difficult the wizard would find the activity without magic), or by producing a half-effect- the object moves a little but not all the way, or the fire poofs out like a match that didn't light when you struck it (similarly proportionally likely). Wizards perform these spells by pointing a magic wand or staff at the object and signaling by speech, sign, or text a phrase they've developed individually in training- this generally means wizard traditions and 'families' can be recognized by who uses what words. Anyone can become a wizard, but few people do, because the quest to gain the ability to use magic is difficult and long and involves a lot of sacrifice (including climbing Wizard's Hat on Montague, and Whippoorwill Peak on Rod, and possibly involving murdering someone but no one has actually confirmed this in front of witnesses).

The Eight Spell Conference was an agreement by the wizards of the Eight Spell District, signed by over 600 people, to refuse to use magic to deliberately hurt other people (although some have criticized the document for not expanding this to include all sapient creatures). It was designed to be enacted into law to replace current anti-magic laws (that make all, or all but Light, spells illegal in each of the six counties affected by the Rebellion). Unfortunately for the magic users, people really feel uncomfortable making the 'kill' spells legal amongst other things, even if they do understand that 99% of the time they'd be used against THAT FUCKING CRANEFLY THAT GOT INTO THE HOUSE LAST NIGHT SON OF A BITCH.

EX ALOGIA (Feel free to post questions/comments here or in the main thread!)
Wikiboxes:
Execution of the Bloodmouth GangSca Crian Space FleetUnited Workers of MarybelleMutegard SouthHouse Atlantic'97 (Sprague County Impact)King William VII CeladonGeorge Bush4233 BC in spaceflightJohn LockwoodSylvestrian feverStar swordStyan Prairie Bush WarPeace Obelisk of AvalonCAP Trade UnitThe Trial of Dª Miranda Sofia Martin, lately of Porto VictoriaRockefeller Ocean Oil SpillIskra County Forest PreserveScarlet Bay Correctional FacilityBoeing S314 Space ClipperPost-Impact Ideologies
Short stories:
Five DressesThe AmbassadorConference Room ThreeBroken SwordThat's no moonFrequently asked questions
Very nice, Gryph. Just when I think you've maybe reached the zaniness limit, you surprise me, and what's most impressive about that is it never feels out of place or tacked on or like its zany for its own sake. Its strikes the right balance and always feels like it belongs. Damn good work.

I'm assuming the Duchess of Cornwall is making a killing by plugging flat-tummy tea.

There's probably some royals who do that, but Charlotte just sits at home and broods because of her angst or something.

Please tell me there's a royal that is the "Queen of Weird Shouter". That's the only thing that'll make up for John II being popular

@dril is a constant in the multiverse, but there's probably some aristocrats who are more famous for posting weird things (that are probably more often than not attempts at being deep and philosophic, but they just wind up sounding like Jaden Smith).

This is some really clever parallelism, because just comparing/contrasting these shouts with their tweet equivalents (and users) tells a story just by itself. Fun idea, great execution.

Thanks! It was an idea I've had percolating for a while and I had just enough time to do it.

Zioneer

Banned
After the deaths of King Tupou VI and the Crown Prince in a freak accident, the nobility of Tonga had a choice. Enthrone the surviving rightful heir of King Tupou, the Mormon Prince Ata? Or resist this heretic by all means necessary? On August 22nd, 2027, they made their choice. And 5 months later, so did Tupou's grandson, Nathan Bax...

7KK5tA5.png

Last edited:
This is based off of a thread I saw in chat. Essentially, Slick Willy gets Monica pregnant, and the backlash is so severe that the Democrats cut their losses, go with Gore, and tell Clinton to resign.

Presidential OOF.

But I wonder, how does this affect the outcome of the 2000 election? Would Gore run? Or would another Democrat be nominated entirely to try and cut the losses of bad image from the Clinton Administration?

November 22nd is not a good day for presidents.
I honestly did not notice that until after I posted it. I picked it because Bill and Monica's affair ended in March 1997, I needed a date about 9 months after then for Clinton's resignation (the idea being the birth of this baby is what makes the backlash big enough for the Democratic leadership to turn on Clinton), and November 22 was just the date I picked.

Presidential OOF.

But I wonder, how does this affect the outcome of the 2000 election? Would Gore run? Or would another Democrat be nominated entirely to try and cut the losses of bad image from the Clinton Administration?
Well myself, I think Gore is almost certain to run; he probably wins too. Actually, I think I'll make a follow up infobox of that election later today. :extremelyhappy:

Status
Not open for further replies.