Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes IV (Do not post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
A quick bout of boring wealth redistribution;

qmeoqAu.png

Based on this idea.
"Colonial Flag"

"690 Billion"

[SWEAT COMES FROM HIS BROW LIKE A BURST DAM]

Jcw3

Banned
Its counterpart, the defunded military, would make for a much sadder infobox.

Two guys in a dusty recruiting stop in the backend of Congress, one snoring, the other playing Solitaire, half-asleep. No recruitment is ever done, so their job is merely a formality. More libertarian congresscritters are talking about further cuts to the program.

Last edited:
Two guys in a dusty recruiting stop in the backend of Congress, one snoring, the other playing Solitaire, half-asleep. No recruitment is ever done, so their job is merely a formality. More libertarian congresscritters are talking about further cuts to the program.
Two guys with 18 billion dollars between them? Sounds like my kind of job. :p

The problem is that America would need an at least moderately sized military to maintain the interests needed to make enough money to give NASA that budget. Am I overthinking this? Prolly.

Based on a hypothetical Obama raised in December.

View attachment 303833

To get Obama' percentage of the popular vote, I found the factor of the difference between his approval rating in December 2011 and the two-party vote percentage in 2012 to base off his Dec 2015 approval rating (the last time polled before the primaries began and he begun to enter lame-duckhood).

Then I used that to figure out his total support by multiplying that percentage by the total two-party vote in 2000, which I figured would be a more suitable alternative in terms of third-party support than 2016, where both major-party candidates were unpopular to get Obama's total percentage.

I used the 2016 results as a base and used each state's elasticity to calculate who won which state.

Of the 2016 faithless electors, I only left the one who gave Ron Paul an electoral vote, since he's the only one it seems who would have been faithless regardless of if Trump won or lost (I think in a "Trump loses" scenario, Chris Suprun would probably not care about voting for Trump if he knows Trump won't win and that the Democratic elector defections would not occur without the OTL primaries and Trump winning despite losing the popular vote).

On an unrelated note, this election almost becomes the first one where both candidates win a congressional district electoral vote from a state they lost the statewide vote in, with Obama narrowly failing to win Nebraska's 2nd district again (47.37% to Trump's 47.84%).

Nebraska's 2nd district, 0.48%
Arizona, 0.89%
North Carolina, 1.13%

Wisconsin, 2.04%
Pennsylvania, 2.10%
Michigan, 2.26%
Florida, 2.35%

Georgia, 3.12%
New Hampshire, 3.66%
Minnesota, 3.72%

Interesting. What software do you use to edit your maps and fill in the colours in the Electoral College

Presidential Elections (Jeffersonian Method) - Part VII (1852)

This one was fairly straightforward, and given the number of States that Pierce managed to carry and the associated electoral bonuses that came with that, there was no real chance for the election being thrown into the House. Even if by some miracle Pierce had managed to torpedo his own campaign and drove enough voters away as to manage an electoral deadlock, by the end of 1852 the Democrats had a clear majority in terms of State delegations to the House and Senate, meaning Pierce and King would have been confirmed with little trouble.

The one highlight I had hoped for was for the Union ticket in Georgia to win an elector, as they had managed to attain (8.5%) of the vote there, but the (64.7%) of Pierce was high enough as to more or less dominate the electoral allocation of that State, with even Scott struggling with his (26.6%). Had the Union ticket won an elector there though I wouldn't be all that certain how best to represent it; Daniel Webster was the formal nominee yes, but, well, he was dead, meaning any electors may well have been voided. I've done research on this before and remember reading in the New York Times that there was an attempt in Georgia by the Union Party there to name Millard Fillmore as the new Presidential nominee (and so I could have then assigned him the elector), but there is nothing beyond that particular tidbit to my knowledge.

The Southern Rights Party suffered the same a similar situation in Alabama with their albeit worse (4.99%) of the vote.

gJGOOZw.png
XfzAdqV.png

Last edited:
The one highlight I had hoped for was for the Union ticket in Georgia to win an elector, as they had managed to attain (8.5%) of the vote there, but the (64.7%) of Pierce was high enough as to more or less dominate the electoral allocation of that State, with even Scott struggling with his (26.6%). Had the Union ticket won an elector there though I wouldn't be all that certain how best to represent it; Daniel Webster was the formal nominee yes, but, well, he was dead, meaning any electors may well have been voided. I've done research on this before and remember reading in the New York Times that there was an attempt in Georgia by the Union Party there to name Millard Fillmore as the new Presidential nominee (and so I could have then assigned him the elector), but there is nothing beyond that particular tidbit to my knowledge.

The Southern Rights Party suffered the same a similar situation in Alabama with their albeit worse (4.99%) of the vote.

Presumably the one elector per party would throw their Presidential and Vice-Presidential vote for esteemed men of similar political virtues: Perhaps Millard Fillmore and Alexander H. Stephens for the Union Party, versus Robert Rhett and John A. Quitman for the States Rights men.

EDIT: Also, your link to part two isn't working.

Based off Europa Universalis IV.

n9suDaw.png

...The chaos of the Second Courish Revolution, in which the native Latvians, led by their radical republican leaders, rose up against the German and Polish nobles and the Livonian order that ruled and divided them, horrified the European monarchs as yet another European state fell to a Jacobin revolution. The "permanent, all-European revolution" scheme of the Second Jacobins and the German People's Republic seemed to be working. Stanislaw V listened to the news, exasperated and scared of ending up the last monarch of Rzeczpospolita. The Russian Republic, while a republican entity unified by Novgorod, did not support the radical tendencies of the Jacobins and the Hosslerists. The discovery of Novgorod Yakobins, led by conspirator and arsonist Mstislav Chelomtsev, on the Courish side only deepened Russia's reactionarism. The loss of Courland to a Jacobin revolution made the previously neutral Russia rethink their tactics. Makar Yaroslavovich Vsevolodov, the Chernigov-born prince that was the elected ruler of Russia at the time, needed a great sword to cut the Jacobin snake in half, and, with the arrival of General Sokolov, he may have found the man for the job.

A Jacobin-influenced revolution has broke yet another state: but not an European one, oh no. The slightly modernized Sultanate of Morocco continued to be a backwards absolute monarchy, and in the eyes of the Revolutionary Moroccans and the people that supported them the Sultan needed to be deposed. However, while the rebels would eventually reach their goal, deposing Zidan ben Ali, the Moroccan Revolution went on for six years and a half, and the Moroccan Free Republic's future was, at the time, unclear. The Moroccan Revolution was very notable for its interesting figures, namely Spanish navy officer and nobleman Diego de Gutierrez, progressive teacher and Riffian leader Shabaan Sharif ibn Izem and Andalusian loyalist general Girgis Elias ben-Ibrahim, a military prodigy born in a Moroccan Jewish family.

Ybv3fh9.png

Presumably the one elector per party would throw their Presidential and Vice-Presidential vote for esteemed men of similar political virtues: Perhaps Millard Fillmore and Alexander H. Stephens for the Union Party, versus Robert Rhett and John A. Quitman for the States Rights men.

EDIT: Also, your link to part two isn't working.
I been digging through the New York Time archives but can't find the passage in question regarding Fillmore, only that the Webster slate was not withdrawn in Georgia; now I'm really wishing I had saved that link.

In any case, what probably would have happened with the Union elector is that he would have voted for Millard Fillmore, who it seems was approached by a number of these same people to run in opposition to both Scott and Pierce (and I can only imagine the margins for Pierce in that case) and generally well received. The Vice-Presidential vote would probably have still been for Charles Jenkins, a prominent Georgian to whom the elector would already have been pledged.

The Southern Rights Party actually had a full ticket for whom the elector would have been pledged for, in the form of former Senator George Troup for President and former Governor John Quitman for Vice-President (so you were close on that account). Mind you, neither man to my knowledge actually campaigned, and Troup himself outright stated in his acceptance letter (which the Party leadership censored) that he was voting for Pierce.

Edit: The link should be fixed, thanks for alerting me.

A HISTORY OF CHINESE ANIMATION
PART I (1950 - 1962)

In the aftermath of World War II (1939 - 1945) and the Chinese Civil War (1946 - 1950), the animation industry in China began one of the greatest expansions of popularity the field had ever experienced in any place during the 20th Century; so-much-so that the period from 1950 to 1962 has since been coined the 'Golden Age of Chinese animation'. With the proliferation and evolution of new artistic designs coupled with the importation and experimentation of new animation techniques, the industry boomed throughout the country during this period with a number of high-grossing feature films being produced, the vast majority of these being animated and directed by the so-called 'fathers of Chinese animation'; the Wan Brothers. A pair of twins (Laiming and Guchan) and their younger siblings (Chaochen and Dihuan), these men were not just some of the great animators of the Golden Age, but pioneers of animation in China as a whole; their work in the field stretching all the way back to 1922 with the brothers also directing Asia's first feature-length animated movie - Princess Iron Fan - in 1941 during the height of the Second Sino-Japanese War.

At the beginning of the 1950's, members of the governing Kuomintang, seeing how China was so devastated by conflict and beleaguered by the onset of the Cold War sought ways to provide both escapism from the lingering threat of the Soviet-supported CCP in Manchuria, as well as promote traditional Chinese culture and anti-Communist propaganda. To this end, the recently established Ministry of Public Culture and Entertainment was authorised by President Chiang Kai-shek to create a series of privately-owned but publicly-funded film studios; one of these being the Shanghai Animation National Film Studio which was constituted in 1952.

Shanghai Animation National Film Studio.png

Partially owned by the Wan Brothers in their positions as Joint-Executive Directors, as well as fellow animators who worked with them on Princess Iron Fan, the Shanghai Studio was originally created by the government to produce films locally for coastal Chinese cities, however, over the course of the 1950's the studio began to subsume other local animation studios into their own to become by 1960 the largest national producer of animated feature films in China. The popularity of the Studio was helped by the fact that Shanghai was one of the fasted growing cities in East Asia during the 1950's, and the ease of production and distribution in this large city helped the Wan Brothers' promote their distinctive style (influenced by traditional Chinese art and Western animation) around not just China, but East Asia as a whole. In 1953, the Shanghai Studio released their first feature-length film to great acclaim; The Legend of the White Snake, based on a folktale from southern China, was received well by domestic audiences, as well as foreigners who, whilst not able to understand what was being said, nevertheless could appreciate the movement, colours, and general style of the film.

After the success of their first feature, the Studio followed through with The Rabbit and the Toad in 1954. Again based on a Chinese folktale, this movie opened to packed audiences of both adults and children who were stunned by the colour and creativity of the animation on display, the Wan Brothers moving away from the rotoscoping of their earlier films in favour of a more traditional animation style. This trend of increasing creativity in the Shanghai Studio's productions and growing popularity nation-wide was met with the release of all further films directed by the Wan Brothers; Dreams of the Yellow River (1955), Gods and Emperors (1956), Hua Mulan (1958), Along the Great Wall (1959), and Pangu (1960). In addition to the world-renowned epic Romance (loosely based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms) which was released in late-1960 and produced by Chaochen Wan, these movies have since the Golden Age become hallmarks of Chinese animation and are too this day still widely watched in their country-of-origin.

Speaking in reference to the movie Romance which was exhibited at the 1961 Cannes Film Festival, Luigi Chiarini, the famous Italian film theorist, said that the movie was;

"...a breathtaking marvel in every possible way; unique in its oriental style and deviation from the norms of Western, particularly Disney-produced, animation. In the future, undoubtedly, the world will turn not to Hollywood, but Shanghai, it's Wan Brothers, and their 'Shanghai Style', looking for inspiration and ideas found neither in America nor Europe."​

Wan Brothers.png

Of course, what comes up, must come down; for in the early-1960's after the release of Romance, issues of salary and regular pay were beginning to cause resentment among the Shanghai Studio's animation team (led by the Wan Brothers) and the government-supported executive headed by Chang Shan-kun. Believing that they required a pay raise in response to an increase in work hours brought on by the rapid spike in demand from not just their Chinese audiences, but those elsewhere in East Asia (South Korea, Japan, and Vietnam in particular), the Wan Brothers began to spend less-and-less time animating and more on individual products with fellow animators such as Yuan Muzhi and Lee Cheung. Fights between the executive and animation teams in Shanghai reached boiling point in early-1962 when three of the Wan Brothers (Dihuan joining them in 1963), as well as a dozen animators resigned from Shanghai Studios and began working for the recently established Animation Hong Kong which promised pay raises and less working hours.

Shanghai Studios countered soon after the split occured; ordering legal action against their wayward animators shortly after they moved to Hong Kong. Claiming that their abrupt departures would "unlawfully strip the company of its worth", the Studio demanded the Wan Brothers in particular to reimburse their 'lost worth' to the company. The animators refused, and shortly thereafter the case had locked up in the courts; the Wan Brothers beginning work at Animation Hong Kong in early-1964. However, shortly after arriving most of the animators had grown tired of their new employers; pay was far less regular than what was expected, and working hours saw a slow increase throughout the year. In late-1964, the Brothers, together with fellow animators, began out-of-court negotiations with Shanghai Studios to return in exchange for increased pay and malleable working hours; the Studio agreeing by January 1965. In February of that same year, all four Wan Brothers, together with eleven fellow animators, boarded a privately chartered plane to return to their beloved Shanghai.

They were never heard from again.

The Death of Animation.png

Extremely poor weather led to the plane taking an unexpected detour over the mountains of northern Guangdong to perform an emergency landing; however, on their descent heavy turbulence and poor visibility resulted in the crew failing to spot the side of a mountain. After failing to lift the plane out of harms way it careened into the ground, killing all on board. A search party quickly located the plane as it had crashed not 8km from the town of Liannan, and after their bodies were identified, news spread like wildfire throughout China; the Wan Brothers by this time having solidified their positions as pioneers of animation and forefathers to the field throughout all of Asia. Many newspapers in China began to refer to their loss (and the loss of the other animators on the flight) as the "Death of Animation"; President Chiang Kai-shek himself sending condolences to the Wan Brothers' family.

In Shanghai Studios, the news of the Wan Brothers' deaths sent a mixture of shock and sadness into the company. Besides losing what had once, and would have soon again been their oldest, most prestigious, most experienced animators, many in the executive had been friends with either Laiming, Guchan, Chaochen, or Dihuan since before 1952. Their loss was perhaps most heavily mourned by their oldest associate and Shanghai Studio executive Chang Shan-kun, who in 1968, a year before his own death, commissioned a bronze statue of all four men to be constructed out front of their studio lot; for despite the conflict between himself and the four Brothers in their later years, he nevertheless had a close working friendship with all of them, particularly Laiming and Guchan.

Soon enough however, the smoke began to clear, but the future of animation in China had grown even more cloudy and uncertain. The death of China's animation pioneers led to a period of failed projects, lack of new ideas, and declining revenue in this field of entertainment which ultimately resulted many smaller studios being forced to merge in order to survive, or go out of business entirely; the Shanghai Studios being among those whose future was the most unknown.

The Golden Age was over, and the Nadir had set in...

-----

BYRNESIVERSE

Last edited:

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
A Scottish Parliament
Part One: The Government
Part Two: The Opposition
Part Three: The Other Opposition

snp3.png

The Scottish National Party (or SNP) is a left-wing Scottish nationalist and social-democratic party, the largest nationalist party in Scotland, and the third largest Party in the Scottish Parliament. Founded in 1934 as a merger of the Scottish Party and National Party of Scotland (NPS), since the 1967 Hamilton by-election the Party has had near continuous representation in the House of Commons, and since 1981 has had significant representation in the Scottish Parliament, forming Government twice, first in 1981 with Labour, and again in 1985 and 2000 with the SSDP. It is currently lead by Kenny MacAskill and his Depute, Alex Neil.

Since the 2015 Parliamentary Election, the Party has 29 MSP's, and has worked alongside the SSDP to form a 'Progressive Alliance' and 'unified opposition' against the Unionist Government. The Party claims to be left-wing, holding close ties to the Welsh Plaid Cymru and advocating the 'nordic model' of free market in conjunction to an expanded welfare state and collective bargaining, though commentators note that the party itself is closer to the political centre, drawing comparisons to the SDP and social-democratic parties of central Europe. It is notable that this shift towards the left was relatively recent, with the traditionally conservative flank of the party splitting following the election of Kenny MacAskill to the leadership in 2008, joining either the Scottish Liberal Party or eventually forming the increasingly right leaning Pàrtaidh na h-Alba.

The party currently has 29 seats in the Scottish Parliament, and 12 in the House of Commons, where it is led by Nicola Sturgeon. It has held 354 seats in Local Government since 2016, a dip by some 200 seats since 2014; it is notable that this decline in seats has coincided with a decline in membership. The Party is constitutionally bound against having Peers in the House of Lords.

---
Note: in Part Two, it is mention that the SSDP served in a Labour Government. This is incorrect, and was a mistype on my part, they serve in an SDP Government. I'd change it, but... I can't.

Something something.

Asian sovereignty was deeply threatened in the 19th century as the Europeans began to delve deeper into their overseas spheres of influence. The Kingdom of Spain began to encroach on Indochina, seeking to expand their colony of Spanish Indochina (nowadays the Khmer Republic) and Spanish East Indies. The Vietnamese-Spanish War resulted into a victory for the Spanish, forcing the Vietnamese Empire to cede them the region of Cochinchina. Vietnam was forcibly opened up to Spanish merchants and soldiers, turning Vietnam into a ground for them to plunder. But the Vietnamese Empire, recently modernized and educated, resented the Spanish and wanted to free themselves from them.

The Vietnamese Boatmen's War began when a group of Spanish merchants got into a fight with a group of Vietnamese merchants going to Japan. A day later, Hang Bao, the Vietnamese Emperor, attended a meeting with his Spanish "advisor", Francisco Costa. Francisco Costa said that the Vietnamese Emperor must ban the activity of the Vietnamese merchants, but Hang Bao refused, saying that he "will always defy Spanish imperialism". Angered, Francisco Costa said that the Spanish army will utterly destroy Vietnam, to which the Emperor responded: "We, the Vietnamese, are free people, and our homeland lies with us. No general of yours will defeat the full might of Vietnam."

A few days later, the Spanish government declared war against the Vietnamese Empire, and the Vietnamese Army began to mobilize.

The Vietnamese Boatmen's War went on for sixteen years and was one of the most influential wars for Indochina. By the end of the war, the devastated Spanish army left Vietnam, and the Empire of Vietnam became the premier power in Southeast Asia. By the end of the war, the Khmers have finally gained their independence. As the Chinese Empire transformed into the technocratic Chinese Populate, Asia would finally, if slowly, become independent from the Europeans.

However, the Chinese Populate replaced the Europeans as the new threat to Indochina.

zwVnrVb.png
uHJeMYc.png

Last edited:
A while ago, I was explaining the US electoral system to a student of mine for private English coaching. When I explained the electoral college to him, he suggested that if he were to candidate, he'd only try to target the biggest states in the campaign. I've been thinking of possible candidates who might achieve such a victory, so here are two match-ups I've come up with. Any suggestions on other candidates?

USA Big States.png

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
A while ago, I was explaining the US electoral system to a student of mine for private English coaching. When I explained the electoral college to him, he suggested that if he were to candidate, he'd only try to target the biggest states in the campaign. I've been thinking of possible candidates who might achieve such a victory, so here are two match-ups I've come up with. Any suggestions on other candidates?

View attachment 303937
Those are some... interesting running mates.

Something something.

Asian sovereignty was deeply threatened in the 19th century as the Europeans began to delve deeper into their overseas spheres of influence. The Kingdom of Spain began to encroach on Indochina, seeking to expand their colony of Spanish Indochina (nowadays the Khmer Republic) and Spanish East Indies. The Vietnamese-Spanish War resulted into a victory for the Spanish, forcing the Vietnamese Empire to cede them the region of Cochinchina. Vietnam was forcibly opened up to Spanish merchants and soldiers, turning Vietnam into a ground for them to plunder. But the Vietnamese Empire, recently modernized and educated, resented the Spanish and wanted to free themselves from them.

The Vietnamese Boatmen's War began when a group of Spanish merchants got into a fight with a group of Vietnamese merchants going to Japan. A day later, Hang Bao, the Vietnamese Emperor, attended a meeting with his Spanish "advisor", Francisco Costa. Francisco Costa said that the Vietnamese Emperor must ban the activity of the Vietnamese merchants, but Hang Bao refused, saying that he "will always defy Spanish imperialism". Angered, Francisco Costa answered that the Spanish army will utterly destroy Vietnam, to which the Emperor responded: "We, the Vietnamese, are free people, and our homeland lies with us. No general of yours will defeat the full might of Vietnam."

A few days later, the Spanish government declared war against the Vietnamese Empire, and the Vietnamese Army began to mobilize.

The Vietnamese Boatmen's War went on for sixteen years and was one of the most influential wars for Indochina. By the end of the war, the devastated Spanish army left Vietnam, and the Empire of Vietnam became the premier power in Southeast Asia. By the end of the war, the Khmers have finally gained their independence. As the Chinese Empire transformed into the technocratic Chinese Populate, Asia would finally, if slowly, become independent from the Europeans.

However, the Chinese Populate replaced the Europeans as the new threat to Indochina.

zwVnrVb.png
uHJeMYc.png

Awesome work, I love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.