Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes IV (Do not post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorozhand

Banned
I admire the detail of the globe with all the weird borders on it, very nice touch.

Thanks ^_^ I wanted to convey a sense that 1) there are more countries in this world than IOTL's post-modernity, 2) the concept of international borders is a bit looser, 3) that western colonialism didn't succeed as much, and 4) that a PoD in the middle ages creates a "present-day" that's incredibly different to the point of alienage.

The PoD is Andronikos II not scuttling his navy in 1285. The Roman treasury does a little worse in the near term, but the empire's victories over Venice and Genoa in the early 13th century resulted in a great deal of trade revenue and a few trade ports making it back into Roman hands. With the empire now in a more powerful position, Andronikos died, earlier than OTL, in 1315, allowing his eldest son Michael IX to succeed him, who reigned long and was able to hold off the empire's enemies with great skill. This also precipitated a remarkably long period in which emperors were succeeded by their adult co-emperor sons. Michael IX was succeeded by Manuel II (not ours, the second son of Michael IX who died in infancy. ITTL he lived, and his older brother died losing a revolt against his father) in 1361; Manuel II, a quiet, studious and clerical emperor who dissuaded from war, was succeeded by his son Theodore III in 1384, who was succeeded by his son Nikephoros IV in 1400, who broke the chain by, in 1439, being succeeded by his young great-grandson as Constantine XI after the death by plague of almost all of the rest of his family during the Mortification.

This period of peace and stability allowed the empire to refocus itself into a developing power, going toe-to-toe with the Italian city-states and preventing the Eshrefid Sultanate (the unification of the old Sultanate of Rum under one of the beyliks) from breaking onto the European subcontinent. It is of no doubt as well that the empire's newfound strength allowed it to defeat the massive army of Shah Sargal (who had just conquered Iran, Mesopotamia, and Anatolia) in battle at Abydos in 1368, though outnumbered four to one; an event that crystallized a national loyalty to the Palaiologos dynasty.

After a while, the empire's situation as a state on the bosporus ruling the Sea of Marmara had stabilized, with a frontier stretching from Varna on the Black Sea to Thessalonika on the Aegean and a secure foothold in Anatolia. Following the centralization and military reforms of Constantine XII in the 17th century, the nobility would be restrained to imperial control and the Co-Emperor system abolished in favor of a western-style crown-prince succession, by primogeniture in the absence of the emperor's will.

Last edited:
Capture d’écran 2017-10-30 à 15.41.41.png

Next, in my attempts at a realistic Kaiserreich...

I just noticed - there appears to be some sort of Cork/Kerry/Clare country in Ireland? Any chance of a backstory? Or did the People's Republic of Cork movement succeed in this TL?

Lilies & Lions, The Leopard of Bordeaux
... Edward, the son and heir of his father, Edward I of France, was a short-lived, yet powerful Lancaster of the mid-to-late fifteenth century. His tenure as Duke of Bordeaux (the pre-eminent duchy of the Crown) came at the resentment of Henry VI's own children, left alive following their father's execution in 1449 but in possession of only minor lands and baronies in Normandy.

Yet Edwards's own quarrels mounted as he grew up in the south. Toulouse and the marches along the Aragonese border proved at times rebellious. King Edward's focuses remained towards the Levant, where he spent his youth. The young Edward instead looked inwards towards the kingdoms that would be his. In 1460, he tested himself in war for the first. What is now known as the Good King Edward's War (1459 - 1463) was fought between King Edward and Duke Henry of Normandy ...

I8SqxPf.png

Mainly wanted to post for 2 reasons. For the most part, have redesigned how the boxes on my site look. Cleaned them up and such. And although totally lifted from r/heraldry, I love throwing these arms onto people. I think that it creates a more engaging and interesting box.
I took a look at your website, you have done an excellent job on it. One of the cooler things I've seen in a while. I look forward to your world being fleshed out even more.

Lilies & Lions, The Early De Greye Chronicles
Similarly to how I want the Borgias to play a large part in my TL, so too do I have a fondness for the Greys that I can't explain. In any case, the de Greye family and their relevant part in this TL began with a certain Sir John Greye, an ally and later close friend of Henry II of France. Following the death of Charles VI in 1421, the political situation in both France and England changed. The reality of a proper Angevin monarch on both thrones brought about anticipation and apprehension. As an accompaniment to his confirmation as Prince of France and with the birth of a son, the later Henry III, Henry created certain peerages in both England and his possessions in the north of France.

Amongst these peerages created was John as Earl of Kent, an unchallenged creation through his marriage to Constance Holland, and his own relation to the crown. Of relation was also Reginald de Greye, Baron de Ruthyn, himself a powerful marcher lord and ally of Henry.

With the years of war in passing, John fought both martially and diplomatically, accumulating lands in England whilst also maintaining relations in France. Twice named regent of England (in 1433 and again in 1438), John fought alongside his king in Spain and the Levant, though not at great cost to himself. In 1441 he was wounded in his chest by a levyman's crossbow. Although he survived the voyage home, illness never found itself far from him and he died of infection in 1443 at the age of 55. Survived by 2 sons, the de Greyes of Kent would go on to fight both for and against the Crown of France, and rule a kingdom of their own for a time.

tbRI8RS.png

Can't say that I didn't 100% cobble this together because John looks badass.

I took a look at your website, you have done an excellent job on it. One of the cooler things I've seen in a while. I look forward to your world being fleshed out even more.

That's very nice of you to say! Although, I do need to take a day and stop adding and changing things and just bring everything up-to-date as of now. It's all a bit of a mess.

Last edited:
In the Clouds is a 1996 film adaptation of Aristophanes' ancient Greek comedy The Clouds to a contemporary American setting. While receiving mixed reviews - critics praised the Stiller family's performances while disdaining the crude and scatological script - the film was a moderate box office success and was referred to as spiritual successor to Animal House. In recent years, its reputation has suffered. One 2016 retrospective from the AV Club describes it as "a Joe for the 1990s," claiming that "intentionally or not, Zucker's satire of 'political correctness' brewed bile against liberals and uppity minorities." Several quotes and images from the film have become memes in alt-right circles.

3s8Z7dr.png

In small-town Athens, Ohio, stingy patriarch Jeff Strepisades (Jerry Stiller) has been looking forward to retirement - but his spoiled wife (Meara) and dimwitted jock son (Ben Stiller) have managed to spend his savings and land them all under a mountain of credit card debt. His only shot at retiring is to get his son, Phil, into Athens College so he can become a lawyer and earn enough to save the family. Unfortunately, Phil's interests stop at football and cars, and his grades are abysmal. Instead, Jeff enrolls himself. He soon comes into conflict with "politically correct" students and a charismatic con artist of a professor, Dr. Socrates (Torn), who teaches "postmodern law." After finding himself expelled over an accidental sexual innuendo, Jeff resorts to bribery to get Phil into the college. He is hoist by his own petard when Phil emerges as a nerdy wimp with a degree in feminist literature, and asks for his father's help in getting into grad school. Bereft of options, Jeff resolves to solve his financial problems once and for all with that classic last resort of Americans: a lawsuit against Athens College. Throughout the film, a group of stoners in the Athens quad - known as "The Clouds" - provide commentary in the style of a Greek chorus.

(The Clouds is still very readable and funny, but it is pretty nastily right-wing and anti-intellectual, and would be more than a little distasteful if translated into today's terms. Apologies for the film poster; photoshop is not my strongest suit(e).)

Last edited:
Made a wikibox for my Madden 17 player, Jermarquel Jones of the Cleveland Browns. Jones took the Browns off to a 5-0 start, breaking new records each week. The rookie had an impressive 3168 passing yards by Week 5. Jones holds the record for most touchdowns scored during a game, scoring 8 touchdowns against the Ravens during Week 2.

b1Xmoo2.jpg

Happy Halloween!

Derry

vG2us1Q.png

Derry, Maine is an unincorporated community in the US state of Maine. Derry is most famous for the paranormal occurrences that have occurred within its borders.

Location: Situated alongside Interstate 95, Derry is located south of Dexter, southwest of Old Town, and west of Haven and Bangor, with Bangor being the nearest of these cities. Derry is similar in infrastructure, architecture, demographics and geography to Bangor. Kenduskeag Stream runs through Derry’s downtown district. The small Derry Airport is found west of the downtown area.
Due to its location in inland New England, Derry has a humid continental climate of cold and snowy winters and mild summers. Its hardiness zone is 5a. Due to its close proximity to major water tributaries, the town often suffers from flooding issues every few years. The flooding it received during the Great Storm of 1985 were the worst on record, and have not since been surpassed.

Features: Derry contains several sites worthy of note. A popular tourist destination was The Black Spot, a nightclub consisting of primarily African-American patrons, located near the US Army’s military base on the southern side of town; the club was burned down by members of the Ku Klux Klan in 1930. Famed architect Ben Hanscom designed the town’s current Civic Center, after the previous center was destroyed in the town’s infamous flood of 1985. An unpopular feature of Derry is The Barrens, a small heavily-forested tract of land which contains the city’s landfill, gravel pit, and sewer pump stations. This area is considered a “sore spot” that discourages tourism. Environmentalist advocates have repeatedly failed to fully clean up this area of the town since the 1970s. Derry schoolchildren often play in this area despite fences and warning signs.

History: Derry has had a history of misfortune. Originally inhabited by the indigenous Penobscot people, the town of Derry was founded in 1716 in what was once called Derry Township. The fur trade allowed the settlers to survive harsh winters in a land less than ideal for farming.
From 1740 to 1743, over 300 settlers mysteriously disappeared without a trace. The incident is not as widely known nationwide as Roanoke.
The town’s primary sources of income throughout its history have been in the timber/lumber, shipping, manufacturing and iron/steel industries.
Spontaneous periods of unmotivated violence – murder, suicide, disappearances and unsolved murder – occurred in Derry in 1769, 1851, 1877, 1906, 1930, 1958, 1985.
On Easter Monday 1906, the Kitchener Ironworks building just outside of Derry exploded inexplicably, killing 88 children and 102 people in total, whom were there for an Easter Egg hunt. An investigation discovered that every machine in the works had been shut down; the cause of the explosion was never found.
In 1958, the town’s Standpipe water tower was closed to the public after several local children drowned in the water tank. The Standpipe was destroyed in a storm in 1985. It has since been replaced by the Standpipe Memorial, a cast-bronze statue of two children and a plaque dedicating it to the victims of the 1985 flood.
In 1985, Derry was rocked by a series of unsolved murders known locally as the It Killings. The killing spree ended at the onset of the worst storm in Maine history. The Great Storm of 1985 developed unusually swiftly and mainly struck central Maine. In Derry, the storm created a 5-foot flood that killed several residents and destroyed several buildings and local landmarks, especially in the town’s downtown area.
Derry spent much of the next ten years in a state of urban renewal, rebuilding much of the town after the effects of the Great Storm.
In 1994, a small plane crashed and exploded in the parking lot of the town’s Civic Center, killing several people; the plane’s pilot was never identified.
In 2001, US Army helicopters were sighted in the forests north of Derry. After reports of strange behavior in animals, odd lights in the sky, and several Derry residents going missing, the Mayor of Derry demanded an explanation for the presence of Federal troops in the area. A US Army spokesperson later proclaimed they investigated reports of weapons smuggling only to discover a damaged weather balloon, transmitting radio waves that were disturbing the local wildlife. Many Derry residents, however, respond to this explanation with much criticism; a 2011 opinion poll found 61% of Derry residents believe there was a cover-up of some sort.
Derry’s population has slowly increased since 1985, as the amount of violence as subsided since the Great Storm, and construction companies are lowering the town’s employment rate due to the city’s many expansion projects.

Castle Rock

1DIFjhm.png

Castle Rock, Maine is a small community in eastern inland Maine located in Castle County (a county near the New Hampshire state border). The town is 18 miles southwest of South Paris, ME and roughly 37 miles north of Portland, ME.

Demographics: According to the United States Census Bureau records, the town had a population of 1,280 in 1959. A 1991 census records its population being at 1,500 that year. Despite developing a reputation of being a dangerous location for paranormal activities, the population has steadily grown; a 2010 census marked its population at 1,820. As of this census, the racial makeup of the town was 92.5% White, 5.5% Native American, 1% African-American, 0.5% Asian-American, and 0.5% from two or more races. People of any Hispanic or Latino race were 0.3% of the population.

History: The town has a colorful history of unfortunate and consistent occurrences, including but not limited to reports of odd lights in the night sky, ghostly apparitions, several haunted houses, and numerous missing persons.
On September 8, 1981, a local St. Bernard named Cujo was somehow infected with rabies, causing him to become violent and vicious, and ultimately kill three Castle Rock residents (including the town’s sheriff, George Bannerman) and wound one more before being killed in self-defense on September 9.
On September 30, 1990, police found wealthy shop owner Reginald “Pop” Merill dead in his antiques shop, eviscerated by some animal, likely a wolf or large wild dog; the animal responsible was never found.
In October 1991, the town’s head selectman, Danforth “Buster” Keeton, set off several dynamite charges across the town in what was, according to the official report, a bizarre attempt to hide the thousands of dollars that he had embezzled from public funds. Keeton was found dead from bullet wounds amidst the debris left in the wake of the explosions; his killer, local jack-of-all-trades Ace Merrill, was killed in a hostage standoff between local police shortly afterwards.

People: Notable residents of Castle Rock have included Johnny Smith (1947-1979), the would-be assassin of Greg Stillson, a US Congressman from New Hampshire (1977-1980); Otto Schenck, a local wealthy businessman, and alleged murderer of fellow local businessman George McCutcheon; longtime Sheriff Alan Pangborn; and Leland Gaunt, a businessman of undetermined origin, expelled from the town and banned from returning in 1991 under suspicious and unusual circumstances.

Last edited:
Great as always gap!
Please don't quote the entirety of a long post for a brief statement when you have other options - such as replying to a highlighted sentence or using the @ shoutout.
It's annoying for those of us who have to scroll through duplicated content.

Interesting. Since his father Baron de Ruthyn is still alive shouldn't John's Arms be the same as OTL and bare a label?

:biggrin: Well that's completely right, but I was just so happy with how it turned out; honestly, I need to think up a differenced new line of arms anyway seeing as its a bit of a divergence

:biggrin: Well that's completely right, but I was just so happy with how it turned out; honestly, I need to think up a differenced new line of arms anyway seeing as its a bit of a divergence
Hmmm, the original deGrey Arms were barry of six, argent and azure and Ruthin added the 3 torteaux as difference so perhaps repeat this on each argent bar?
Alternatively make the torteaux martlets as reference to Valence?

Status
Not open for further replies.