Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes IV (Do not post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emma of Normandy arranges an earlier marriage of her niece, Alice of Normandy to Emma's son Edward. Edward would later go on to become King of England, after the death of his half-brother, Harthacnut, serving until his death in 1066, where he was succeeded by his son, Edward, who became Edward IV, to differentiate the two.
EtC.png

Emma of Normandy arranges an earlier marriage of her niece, Alice of Normandy to Emma's son Edward. Edward would later go on to become King of England, after the death of his half-brother, Harthacnut, serving until his death in 1066, where he was succeeded by his son, Edward, who became Edward IV, to differentiate the two.
Interesting but where have these Earldoms of Oxford and Winchester come from?

Interesting but where have these Earldoms of Oxford and Winchester come from?
Edward wanted to give his sons titles, so the princes would not be below other lords of the land, such as their uncle, Godwin Earl of Wessex.

His second eldest son was knighted as Earl of Oxford, for Oxford had became an important military frontier town between the kingdoms of Mercia and Wessex, and King Edward wanted to honour the town by awarding it a Prince.

Where as the last son, was honoured with Winchester, which had been a pioneering town for king Alfred the Great, who order the street plan to been redrawn, to provide better defence against the Vikings, as well as being the site for the Cathedral of Winchester that had contained the grave of numerous Saxon Kings as well as being the site for coronations.

Edward wanted to give his sons titles, so the princes would not be below other lords of the land, such as their uncle, Godwin Earl of Wessex.

His second eldest son was knighted as Earl of Oxford, for Oxford had became an important military frontier town between the kingdoms of Mercia and Wessex, and King Edward wanted to honour the town by awarding it a Prince.

Where as the last son, was honoured with Winchester, which had been a pioneering town for king Alfred the Great, who order the street plan to been redrawn, to provide better defence against the Vikings, as well as being the site for the Cathedral of Winchester that had contained the grave of numerous Saxon Kings as well as being the site for coronations.
And the Witan let him? This is not Norman England. Edward needs the Witan's consent to redistribute unconfiscated land, and can't confiscate on a whim.

And the Witan let him? This is not Norman England. Edward needs the Witan's consent to redistribute unconfiscated land, and can't confiscate on a whim.
He requested that his sons be given the titles, with the price that the princes didn't have total control of the land, but were there as figure heads to rally moral and that the monarchy would help maintain upkeep in the areas.

There were also marriages of the princes to the daughters important noblemen within the Witenaġemot, while also marriages arranged strongly within the Witan

He requested that his sons be given the titles, with the price that the princes didn't have total control of the land, but were there as figure heads to rally moral and that the monarchy would help maintain upkeep in the areas.

There were also marriages of the princes to the daughters important noblemen within the Witenaġemot, while also marriages arranged strongly within the Witan
You're still projecting too much Norman style rule onto it. The Old English Earldoms aren't divided willynilly like their shire and borough components. They are more akin to continental Dukes or Scandinavian Jarls than counts.

You're still projecting too much Norman style rule onto it. The Old English Earldoms aren't divided willynilly like their shire and borough components. They are more akin to continental Dukes or Scandinavian Jarls than counts.
Oh ok my bad, I do find the transition to Norman from Anglo-Saxon a little confusing, i though it was justified. What would you suggest for the two princes? Would Edward give them new lands? Or leave them as simple princes forcing them to marry for land?

Oh ok my bad, I do find the transition to Norman from Anglo-Saxon a little confusing, i though it was justified. What would you suggest for the two princes? Would Edward give them new lands? Or leave them as simple princes forcing them to marry for land?
They'll definitely be made thanes and probably sheriffs. If any of the larger Earls falls then you could get away with dividing their lands. But a lot depends on the keeping the Godwines disunited.

I demand a recount.
Many people did. The number of voided votes were incredibly concerning, owing thanks to the failure of electronic systems after failed fixes to the potential Y2K crisis. A number of people thought that the invalid votes would turn the tide and when the recount was ended, thanks to the court ruling on NFL v. the United States, the Baseball Riots of 2000 occurred.

Lilies & Lions, The I've Changed Some Background of my History and this is more for Fun!* Update
The early part of the 15th century following the Angevin-Valois Succession War was consumed by religious conflict. Remaining true to his word, Henry II of France followed Sigismund into his many wars, culminating with the largest crusade taken by the west since the 11th century. Ranging from the Carpathian range to the Red Sea, the crusade consisted of differing wars to achieve different goals. Ultimately, the crusade is a massive success (wow, what a surprise!), resulting in the near destruction of the Ottoman Sultanate and forcing the Circassians in Egypt to flee into Arabia. By the middle of the 15th century, the Holy Land again looks to be secure in Catholic hands. But will the enormous victories achieved last? Dun dun dun ...

fbiFRHc.png

*As the title says, along with some changes to the House of Anjou in Naples, I've now decided that Mary of Hungary's death does not come. Instead, she is able to provide Sigismund with children. This has created some interesting new paths I can take, and to try and tackle that great beast in the centre of Europe. With that in mind, I'm only tentatively scribbling in what's above. The Crusade Against the Hussites in Bohemia, for instance, I'm still reading a lot about. But I do know that I want it to go more smoothly as I am driving a narrative. (I mean, just take a look at that crusade, totally believable at this point lol)

Tell you guys what is fun: Remaking these coats of arms-I finally am happy with the style! It's rather time-consuming, and trying to make most of the svg elements from scratch can be frustrating if something looks just slightly off, but I'm telling myself it's almost an art form so I'm having at it as such.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.