Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes IV (Do not post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my attempt at a completely serious prediction:

TRUMP QUITS PARTY, PURGES ALL GOP MEMBERS FROM HIS CABINET. - New York Times, May 2017

"What can I say? I don't like tax cheats and the parties they associate with." - Trump says of former Chief of Staff Reince Preibus, currently under investigation for tax evasion, May 2017

REPUBLICAN AND DEMOCRATS UNITE IN CONGRESS AMIDST MASSIVE DEFECTION OF TRUMP INDEPENDENTS - Washington Post, June 2017

"I've become painfully aware that I am not up to the task of reigning in the President on his foreign policy initiatives." - former Secretary of State Tulsi Gabbard regarding her decision to resign after two weeks in June 2017

"You're fired!" - Text on billboard the President paid for outside of the US Naval Observatory. VP Mike Pence declines to resign.

"You can't fire me! I quit!" - quote from President Trump before his resignation letter is not accepted by congressional leaders. April 2018

IVANKA TRUMP RUMORED TO BE RUNNING THE WHITE HOUSE DURING THE PRESIDENT'S RETIREMENT IN NEW YORK. - New York Times, August 2018

"I am not a candidate for President in 2020. Neither is my father, of course." - a rare statement from Ivanka Trump to the media in September 2018

REPUBLICANS WIN BIG IN MIDTERMS, RUNNING ON ANTI-TRUMP MANTRA. - DC Herald, November 2018

DEMOCRATIC CIVIL WAR AS SANDERS URGES MORE AND MORE SUPPORTERS TO JOIN THE GROWING INDEPENDENT CAUCUS. - Congressional Quarterly, November 2018

"Effective immediately, I am resigning from my post as Chairman of the Democratic National Committee as well as the Democratic Party. I cannot abide by the principles that some Democratic leaders are espousing." - outgoing DNC Chairman Keith Ellison, November 2018

"We need to take our country back from Trump and his Democrat cronies." - Senate Majority Leader Rand Paul of Kentucky, during his presidential announcement speech in January 2019

"I will run as an Independent as well as a Democrat." - Bernie Sanders, during his announcement speech in March 2019

CNN HOSTS OFFICIAL DEBATE WITH 43 REPUBLICANS, DEMOCRATS, AND INDEPENDENTS. - CNN.com, July 2019

"I didn't get a chance to speak." - Jeb Bush, echoing the sentiments of 22 others after the debate, July 2019

"These debates are pointless and will just lead to another do-nothing TV star." - Majority Leader Paul, amidst massive applause, August 2019

"With the Republicans boycotting and the Democrats disappearing, only crazy kooks and has-beens are still in the debates. Let's cancel 'em." - MSNBC news chief echoing the sentiments of other news divisions, September 2019

MAJORITY LEADER PAUL EVOLVING ON ISSUES? INDEPENDENTS AND LIBERTARIANS UP IN ARMS! - Washington Times, December 2019

RAND PAUL SECURES REPUBLICAN NOMINATION BEFORE PRIMARIES. "WE CAN'T AFFORD ANOTHER CELEBRITY IN OFFICE!" - New York Post, January 2020

DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY CANCELLED IN SEVERAL STATES, WITH NO MAJOR CANDIDATES ON THE BALLOT - Los Angeles Gazette, February 2020

"My son is a disgrace. He's sounding like Donald Trump." - Ron Paul, during his presidential announcement speech, May 2020

"Dad is too old for the job. Look what happened when we elected a 70-year-old. Now we're going to elect an 85-year-old?" - presumptive nominee Rand Paul, May 2020

BACKLASH AS RAND PAUL IS ACCUSED OF AGEISM. SANDERS INDEPENDENTS AND LIBERTARIANS UNITE ON THE ISSUE. - Washington newspaper of some sort, May 2020

"I am honored to accept the nomination for the Democratic Party. Thank you, Secretary Clinton for that wonderful speech and -- oh, god -- my heart!" - Bernie Sanders accepting the Democratic nomination shortly before his stroke. July 2020

"I spoke with Senator Sanders' caretaker privately, and it is with sadness that I accept the position of Democratic nominee." - former Secretary of State Tulsi Gabbard, July 2020

DEMOCRATIC NOMINEE GABBARD QUITS TO BECOME RON PAUL'S RUNNING MATE. - MSNBC.com, July 2020

"With the Democrats out of the picture, we have the first chance to run a true 50-state campaign. To show that I have the interests of all Americans at heart, I will run with my friend here, Mike Gabbard, and with it take back the White House! Yeahh!" - Republican nominee Rand Paul in a speech shortly before the Republican National Convention, July 2020

"The Republicans are losers. This country sucks." - President Donald Trump in his only interview after going into self-imposed exiled two years prior, August 2020

RON PAUL WINS FIRST DEBATE, RAND PAUL WINS POST-DEBATE TWITTER EXCHANGE, SAYS CRITICS - CBS News, September 2020

FORMER DEMOCRATS FLOCK TO RON PAUL CAMPAIGN AFTER HE PROMISES TO LET DEMOCRATIC STATES MAINTAIN DEMOCRATIC IDEALS. - CBS NEWS, September 2020

"The election isn't over until the last elector has voted," says Rand Paul amidst rumors that his campaign might lose in a landslide, hinting at further campaigning post-Election Day, October 2020

ELECTION DAY RESULTS- 329 for RON PAUL, 209 for RAND PAUL, BUT POPULAR VOTE WINNER RAND PAUL PROMISES TO COURT THE VARIOUS INDEPENDENT LIBERTARIAN ELECTORS. - 538.com, November 2020

"The Founding Fathers wanted us to have electors free to vote their conscience." - Chief Justice Ted Cruz reading the majority opinion that struck down all faithless elector laws, December 2020

A RECORD 106 ELECTORS ARE FAITHLESS, VOTING FOR 26 DIFFERENT PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES. - Electoral-vote.com, December 2020

"My son's attempt at courting electors has failed. We held onto the majority and actually managed to take 25 of his pledged electors." - boasts President-elect Ron Paul in a nationally aired ABC interview, December 2020

WI Rand Ran.png

Yo dawg, I heard you like electoral colleges, so I put an electoral college in your electoral college so you can ignore the popular vote while you ignore the popular vote

2016eception.png

Cool.

Make one for every state. You'll be stuck making wikiboxes for a few months. :p

Nah. The other ones I tried to find ones where the popular vote winner would lose under a "county electoral vote system" (Arizona, Florida, Pennsylvania) didn't work, so I didn't bother making a map and infobox for them.

If I weren't on vacation and lazy, I'd look for more states that could flip (likely Clinton states that would go to Trump because of how electoral college systems benefit rural counties/states that tend to go Republican).

An eccentric figure, a cheerful narcissist, a playboy, a spanner in the works of the entire New York Penguin Secret Association and possibly a sociopath, King Julien XIII (officially King Julien XIII, Lord of the Lemurs, the Highest, Most Revered, the Greatness that is Me, Myself and I, the Royal One who is Second to None, and an All-Around Dude who knows how to Groove (and many, many other titles) was the king of all the Malagasy lemurs and unofficially the "king" of the Central Park Zoo and, therefore, the entire New York City. While a hedonist, he was highly beloved by his primarily Lemur subjects back in Madagascar for his ability to groove all night long. Ever since his defeat of the Fossas (with the help of a group of foreign animals, though King Julien alleges he did it single-pawdedly) and his arrival to the New York City, he has been the primary foe (and alleged best friend) to Skipper, the leader of the Central Park "Penguin commandos". Ever since his arrival, he has attempted to court every female he came across (from an otter and a ferret to a bear and a doll) and has kept around a band of trusted subjects, namely Maurice, his "minister" and highly respected "certified jungle lawyer", and Mort, a highly respected punching bag and most notoriously a foot fetishist. In the meanwhile, the position of King of the Malagasy Lemurs has been seized "on behalf of King Julien XIII" by one Rufus I, a former subject of King Julien XIII who just happened to have somewhat of a good groove.

While an annoyance to most citizens of Central Park Zoo, he was, however, an eccentric attraction, and so managed to keep the figurehead title of King even when the Central Park Zoo changed several governments, most notably the Penguin Junta. A very long-lived lemur, he, however, ultimately died of old age in 2034. His heir was King Julien XIV, the result of an one-night stand with a lemur King Julien XIII came across. He was notably much less eccentric, and much more ambitious regarding his power in the Central Park Zoo.[/USER]
Yessss, sweet, sweet fiction infoboxes.

Speaking of, anyone willing to try and make some based on GI Joe?

Yo dawg, I heard you like electoral colleges, so I put an electoral college in your electoral college so you can ignore the popular vote while you ignore the popular vote

Good Lord, is there a state outside New England, Hawaii and maybe California that the Democrats have a chance to win under this system?

Anyway, Georgia used to have a system sort of like this for its Democratic primaries (which were of course the only important election at the time) before Reynolds v. Sims, except instead of being apportioned in anything resembling proportion to each county's population, the counties were divided into tiers based on population, with the first eight receiving 6 votes each, the next 30 receiving 4 votes each, and the remainder 2 each. Needless to say this was a terrible system - in 1946, Eugene Talmadge (Herman's dad) was able to win the primary (and thus the governor's mansion) by a landslide despite getting 32% of the popular vote and coming three percentage points behind his main opponent.

That's great @lord caedus.

I believe the New York State Senate ran into that problem pre-VRA, with each County being granted one vote in the Senate, naturally disadvantaging the Democrats who got a lot of votes in New York City. When it was changed, they just instituted a gerrymander because it's New York. To this day the Democrats don't want to win control of the Senate for some reason.

I believe the New York State Senate ran into that problem pre-VRA, with each County being granted one vote in the Senate, naturally disadvantaging the Democrats who got a lot of votes in New York City. When it was changed, they just instituted a gerrymander because it's New York. To this day the Democrats don't want to win control of the Senate for some reason.

Wasn't that the case in quite a few states (each county getting a fixed number of state senators, not the bipartisan stitch-up part)? Ending racially motivated skewing of legislative representation is all well and good, Reynolds v. Sims is still among the most buzzkill decisions the Supreme Court has ever made.

Wasn't that the case in quite a few states (each county getting a fixed number of state senators, not the bipartisan stitch-up part)? Ending racially motivated skewing of legislative representation is all well and good, Reynolds v. Sims is still among the most buzzkill decisions the Supreme Court has ever made.
That was the case in a whole bunch of them. The abolition of county districts was a necessity of banning unequally populated ones, obviously. I would have lumped tiny counties together to form broad Megacounty Districts (BR turns his head) and used those as equivalent to the larger ones.

Btw, some New England states designate their state legislative districts based on county, although they constantly cross borders so the names are dumb.

Like when I did mine waaaaay back, the problem is that Canada has far too few Provinces, and far too much of the population concentrated into two of them, for it to work. I think it would be workable, and very interesting, if you dissolved Quebec and Ontario into a half-dozen Provinces each for something like this.

Like when I did mine waaaaay back, the problem is that Canada has far too few Provinces, and far too much of the population concentrated into two of them, for it to work. I think it would be workable, and very interesting, if you dissolved Quebec and Ontario into a half-dozen Provinces each for something like this.

That's true, though even in that system, whichever province has the Golden Horseshoe would still have an absurd amount of EV.

Good Lord, is there a state outside New England, Hawaii and maybe California that the Democrats have a chance to win under this system?

I assume you mean "when they win the popular vote"? Depends on how many electoral votes get apportioned and how happy the state is/was to divide up into tiny, barely-inhabited counties.

Also, fun fact: under this system, Romney would have won Minnesota's electoral votes (110 to 91) despite losing the popular vote by a 7.7% margin.

Anyway, Georgia used to have a system sort of like this for its Democratic primaries (which were of course the only important election at the time) before Reynolds v. Sims, except instead of being apportioned in anything resembling proportion to each county's population, the counties were divided into tiers based on population, with the first eight receiving 6 votes each, the next 30 receiving 4 votes each, and the remainder 2 each. Needless to say this was a terrible system - in 1946, Eugene Talmadge (Herman's dad) was able to win the primary (and thus the governor's mansion) by a landslide despite getting 32% of the popular vote and coming three percentage points behind his main opponent.

I looked into that and figured that if I'd ever made a "Georgia electoral college" box, that would be the system used to allocate votes.

Thanks.

That was before Reynolds v. Sims, not the Voting Rights Act. Someone explained the exact rationale for the reason the Senate is essentially tipped in the Republicans' favor before, and IIRC, it's from the tradition of "three men in a room" (governor, Democratic Speaker, Republican Senate majority leader) effectively running things in Albany.

Yes, that was the case in quite a few states before Reynolds. Some even had a requirement that each county get at least one member in their lower house.

No, Reynolds was, if anything, long overdue. Alabama & Tennessee hadn't redrawn their legislative districts for 60 years when Reynolds came down and there were a lot of states where the minority of voters who lived in rural areas had a lock on legislative power.

Status
Not open for further replies.