Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes II

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's English but he's gone native in China.

So he's a white English colonial who goes to China, spreads his republican ideology among the masses and manages to secure such support for them that the Chinese willingly follow him into overthrowing the Qing and proclaim him President for life? Do you have any idea how problematic all of this is?

So he's a white English colonial who goes to China, spreads his republican ideology among the masses and manages to secure such support for them that the Chinese willingly follow him into overthrowing the Qing and proclaim him President for life? Do you have any idea how problematic all of this is?

The fact he ruled for 37 years instead of an even 40? Or the fact he had one VP with him the whole 37 years?

I see the negative implications. But I'm not sure if you're comparing it with a historical example that I can't remember, or just making a point.

PHOjmsm.png

A new one from my Confederacy timeline, I've been reworking the collapse of the United States, and this infobox serves to show the "spiritual successor" to the USA after the end of the war. It's considered the strongest country in North America, and hold alliances with both the Pacific States of America and Columbia.

Last edited:

Asami

Banned

He didn't spread republican ideology; he joined a grassroots republican movement amongst the merchant class, and he was appointed leader by being charismatic and approachable, and having the blessing of the leader of the movement (his father-in-law), before said man succumbed to a viral outbreak in Southern China in the mid-1790s. Combine this with a serious famine, and things just get even worse.

And he wasn't President for Life, he was just re-elected by merit of popularity and unwillingness to run against him; that, and his status as "President of China" for the first 14 years wasn't guaranteed as he was waging a revolutionary war against the Qing Dynasty -- after they won in 1812, THEN he started ruling as the actual President of China. And is it problematic? Why is it problematic? Because he's a white person and he rules China? It's not like he's making all the Chinese speak English or practice Christianity; he learns Chinese, takes up a Chinese name, and converts to Confucianism.

So I fail to see how it's problematic. :/

He didn't spread republican ideology; he joined a grassroots republican movement amongst the merchant class, and he was appointed leader by being charismatic and approachable, and having the blessing of the party leader before he was killed by the Qing, the dude's father in law.

And he wasn't President for Life, he was just re-elected by merit of popularity and unwillingness to run against him; that, and his status as "President of China" for the first 14 years wasn't guaranteed as he was waging a revolutionary war against the Qing Dynasty -- after they won in 1812, THEN he started ruling as the actual President of China. And is it problematic? Why is it problematic? Because he's a white person and he rules China? It's not like he's making all the Chinese speak English or practice Christianity; he learns Chinese, takes up a Chinese name, and converts to Confucianism.

So I fail to see how it's problematic. :/

Look up the term "Mighty Whitey" and come back to us.

The state of Pendragon is located on the Saturnian world of Mimas in the Commonwealth of Avalon. It's a small state who's economy relies primarily on fishing from the Pangea Ocean to the south, and from the copper mountains from the mountainous north. It was a wholly unremarkable frontier state until the March 14, 2129, disaster, when a small asteroid was knocked out of orbit and it crashed to the Mimantean. It was a small rock, not terribly large, but it hit with such precision that it's fueled conspiracy theorists since impact. The rock hit the Pendragon Statehouse, wiping out the entire unicameral State Assembly and the entire executive branch. When the dust finally settled, the state's un-elected Education Administrator had a shaky hold on the government, while law and order within the city (and the state) began to break down. Violent crime went up, and groups of private citizens and per-existing militias banded together for safety and security. The largest of these groups were the Trailblazers of the Pioneer Alliance and the private militia, Torch 76, which was lead by a former Minuteman soldier named Harlan Gamble. Gamble had long-standing connections with various human supremacist groups, and had even been investigated by the FBI for hate speech. As the 3/14 crisis deepened, Torch 76 became an important group, providing security, food, water and order for thousands of Americans. Torch 76 also merged with many other smaller groups, many of whom felt abandoned by the state, commonwealth and federal governments.

Unsurprisingly, when the 2130 election rolled around, Gamble became an immediate frontrunner. The Democrats were split between Pioneers who saw Gamble as a threat to their base and the AFL-CIO who wanted nothing to do with him. Gamble won the election, while in the new State Assembly, he fell a few seats short of a majority--despite that, he had the effective support of several members of the Pioneer Alliance. Gamble set about implementing his platform by cracking down on crime, cracking down on minorities, stripping immigrants of state welfare and driver's licenses, expanding state eugenics programs and nationalizing the agricultural sector for a more secure food source. Political violence became common as Torch 76 militiamen frequently clashed with political opponents in the street, and while violent crime dropped, cities didn't necessarily become safer. His opponents accused him of being a dictator, and when he attempted to declare martial law and call up the Home Guard, the state adjutant general refused, so he was replaced and the Home Guard supplemented Torch 76 militias.

The Democratic Party began to gear up for the 2133 elections. Unions and other allied groups began to funnel money into legislative campaigns, and the Party recruited heavily and made frequent attacks against Torch 76. However, the most important election would be for the governor's mansion. The primary became a contest between State Assemblywoman Royal Mundt and UMWA State Treasurer Jordan McMaster. Mundt had the backing of the Pioneers and their groups, while McMaster was supported by the unions. McMaster wasn't particularly popular with large segments of the party, especially on the coast, since he was seen as too much of a mountain provincial. Despite that, McMaster won the Democratic nomination. Mundt went against the establishment's wishes and ran on the Pioneer Alliance ticket, naming Longshoremen organizer Taylor Gandy as her running mate. The Republican Party chose not to contest this election, so various social liberals rallied around the Green Party and its candidate, Jerrica LaMarche.

The election was a highly spirited event, and was notable due to its high level of political violence. Campaign rallies were often broken up by brawls, while canvassers were frequently assaulted. Mundt and McMaster both ran on similar platforms of rolling back Torch 76's platform and reforms, though McMaster wanted to keep the nationalization of agriculture and wanted to extend that to the copper mines. Mundt meanwhile wanted to go back to the old ways of geo-libertarianism and land value taxes. Mundt was also very personally popular, and one of the most enduring pictures of the election was her punching a Torch 76 militiaman during a campaign rally brawl after her platform was stormed. It was her personally popularity and the sagging popularity of Gamble and McMaster that let her carry the day. However, the Democratic Party managed to win a majority in the State Assembly. Torch 76 managed to hold onto the second place spot, and former speaker Jon Lovre promised not to go down easily--as did Harlan Gamble, despite many whisperings in the party.

The 2133 election was a costly one for a frontier election, with the three main gubernatorial candidates spending more than $15 million on their campaigns. Likewise, it was a violent event, with nearly 50 deaths blamed on campaign violence and thousands of assaults and injuries. Gamble stepped down after the election, and while defeated, he claimed that he wasn't down and out. "You can't simply extinguish the torch of freedom," he said at his last press conference, adding, "You can try, but you might find that instead of dousing it with water, you're spraying gasoline." Mundt chose not to have a public inauguration, instead choosing a simple affair in the governor's house.

CPmO5mn.png

Is there a big crossover between human supremacism and the far-right? Or are militia types just the lunatic fringe?

You know, even though this state is seemingly dominated by far-right parties and has a lot of political violence, I kinda like the fact it's not a cookie-cutter Dem-Rep state, even though if it was a cookie-cutter Dem-Rep state, it would be better in those areas (far-right & violence).

Last edited:
Ooh, Triennial elections. Fuck all this war shit, I'm more interested in how that came to be. Seriously thou, very interesting and realistic in it's portrayal of the human condition.

Is there a big crossover between human supremacism and the far-right? Or are militia types just the lunatic fringe?

Militias are actually fairly common and can be found of all political stripes, from far-right human supremacists to orcish biker gangs to union militias. The frontier is still very wild and you're usually very far from any real help, and there's also the fact that a very large segment of the population has military training--about 5 million American 18 years olds are drafted into military service every year, with a similar number discharging out every year.

You know, even though this state is seemingly dominated by far-right parties and has a lot of political violence, I kinda like the fact it's not a cookie-cutter Dem-Rep state, even though if it was a cookie-cutter Dem-Rep state, it would be better in those areas (far-right & violence).

I like to mix it up, see what sorts of different results I can get. Especially when I'm bored and not in the mood to actually write anything.

Umm, at least there was a nice, healthy turn-out?

It was a very important election that meant a lot to a lot of people.

Ooh, Triennial elections. Fuck all this war shit, I'm more interested in how that came to be. Seriously thou, very interesting and realistic in it's portrayal of the human condition.

There were some states that used to have triennial elections before the post-WW2 homogenization. Three years is a nice number to have.

I like to mix it up, see what sorts of different results I can get. Especially when I'm bored and not in the mood to actually write anything.

There were some states that used to have triennial elections before the post-WW2 homogenization. Three years is a nice number to have.
Please continue doing that, those states that mix it up are more interesting than D-R ones to me. :D

Australia agrees with you there.

"It's all just a little bit of history repeating." - Miss Shirley Bassey

"...by far the greatest victory in which I have participated." - Lord Jenkins of Hillhead

Alt_LLS.png

Alt_DSP.png

Alt_ISAF.png

Alt_TAM.png

With thanks to YouGov. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.