Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recommend Nimbus if you use Firefox.
Indeed. That's what I use actually.
Must learn how to do wikibox for my TL. The Scapa Massacre must have one!
Wikiboxes aren't incredibly hard to make, either mess with the wikipedia sandbox a bit, or make one on wikia where you can add your own images easily. Also, making ones for custom massacres/genocides is kinda depressing... I mean, I don't think I'll ever finish the one for the
Turkish Genocide
from my TL without crying at least once:(. If I do make it anyway, I enjoy making wars and am trying to make another country, but it is time-consuming...

Indeed. That's what I use actually.

Wikiboxes aren't incredibly hard to make, either mess with the wikipedia sandbox a bit, or make one on wikia where you can add your own images easily. Also, making ones for custom massacres/genocides is kinda depressing... I mean, I don't think I'll ever finish the one for the
Turkish Genocide
from my TL without crying at least once:(. If I do make it anyway, I enjoy making wars and am trying to make another country, but it is time-consuming...

Oh uh it's not that kinda massacre. The TL i'm currently writing has an ATL* Dönitz and his U-Boats which are ISOTed back to the German Empire the week after the First Battle of the Marne ends. Günther Prien has just entered Scapa in a XXI and the Dreadnoughts of the Grand Fleet had early that day just returned to Scapa Flow to refuel. You can imagine what happens next.

*Hitler dies day France falls

Interesting, though for some reason I remember them mentioning Walker succeeding a Republican (Although I don't see someone as insipid as Walker defeating an incumbent).

My personal headcanon is that the US House of Cards takes place in the same universe as SLCer's A Bridge to the 21st century. I'll explain how if anyone's interested.

EDIT:

I'm fairly certain that the last OTL President they mention in the series is Clinton.

I always pictured it as an alternate history where a Democrat won in 2000 and then was succeeded by a two-term Republican in 2004.

While the flat tops and missile destroyers of the Coast Guard are sexy and get all the press, the Coast Guard's brown water navy are just as important if not more so. Tempest class patrol ships and Mark X patrol boats form the backbone of the Coast Guard's brown water force, and have been widely exported to numerous friendly and allied navies across the Outer System. They participate in interdiction, territorial security, and special operation roles in coastal, littoral and open ocean environments. The Tempest patrol ships pack a punch for their size, capable of engaging aerial targets with its FIM-207 Talon MANPADS and shipping targets with laser-guided RGM-114N Hellfire Dryad missiles--whose range can be extended greatly with laser-targeting pods mounted on the RQ-38F Sea Shade UAVs. Mark X patrol boats can be found more frequently in harbors and in rivers, and its armament is very modular depending on its mission. They are used extensively by the Coast Guard Special Warfare Command (Swift Boats), the Minutemen Special Operations Command (Buckskins) and the Minutemen Mobile Riverine Forces (River Rats).

rN4XNNv.png

Last edited:

NothingNow

Banned
While the flat tops and missile destroyers of the Coast Guard are sexy and get all the press, the Coast Guard's brown water navy are just as important if not more so. Tempest class patrol ships and Mark X patrol boats form the backbone of the Coast Guard's brown water force, and have been widely exported to numerous friendly and allied navies across the Outer System. They participate in interdiction, territorial security, and special operation roles in coastal, littoral and open ocean environments. The Tempest patrol ships pack a punch for their size, capable of engaging aerial targets with its FIM-207 Talon MANPADS and shipping targets with laser-guided RGM-114N Hellfire Dryad missiles--whose range can be extended greatly with laser-targeting pods mounted on the RQ-38F Sea Shade UAVs. Mark X patrol boats can be found more frequently in harbors and in rivers, and its armament is very modular depending on its mission. They are used extensively by the Coast Guard Special Warfare Command (Swift Boats), the NVPA Special Operations Command (Buckskins) and the Minutemen Mobile Riverine Forces (River Rats).

Awesome.

So, in the areas where River Monitors operate as part of a riverine force, who handles them? Is it the Coast Guard, or the NVPA?

. The short-lived Western Republic was born out of the Ashes of the Second American Civil War; a unification of the states of Columbia, Oregon, Sacramento, California, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Comanche, Rio Grande, and Sonora as well as the Territories of Arizona, Nievada, Sequoyah, and the Rocky Mountain Territory [Today Chaney[1]]. It was a shaky entity from the beginning with the Squabbling between the Syndicalist West Coast and the Populist Southwest present from the outset. This precarious arrangement completely toppled over with the Sudden death of President Chaney and the assumption of power by his radical chief-of-staff Hamilcar Sinclair...

[1] - I have changed London to Chaney because ITTL his father is present in young Victor's life, and he does not write with his OTL Pen Name because he's an investigative journalist ITTL.

Western Republic.png

The currency situation - did they never get around to making a significant number of Western Dollars, or did it just have no effective value?

The currency situation - did they never get around to making a significant number of Western Dollars, or did it just have no effective value?

Kinda both, they had nothing to back their currency with; and the fact the country couldn't agree on anything for all seven months of its existence.

8n8zhcj.png

Edited my infobox on Czaricza-claimant Stanislava I rather substantially from what I posted briefly yesterday. Some people, like Thande, are actually capable of working in a chronological order, starting with the PoD, and then being able to make the story naturally evolve from that in such a way that interesting things occur. I lack that ability, and I can only ever come up with interesting scenarios by going "Okay, I like for the situation to be like this at present, how do I manipulate events so that that's where we end up?" Consequently, part of the reason why I'm doing all these infoboxes is because by coming up with ideas for what the present looks like, I get a clearer idea of the events that led up to them.

The effect is that what constitutes the present in my Strangerverse timeline change quite a lot. I have a fairly good idea of everything that happens between the PoD in 1769 and the hundred year's anniversary in 1869, but after that things go blurry. After 1908, things go very, very blurry.

The consequence is that much of the information in these infoboxes may change rather drastically from now to when I finally get around to writing the thing.

Isn't it spelled "Czarina"?

The Russian title цар has the same etymology as the German kaiser and Swedish kejsare, they both are ultimately derived from caesar, which originally was just a name but already by the late first century had become a title. The English emperor and French empereur both ultimately derive from the Latin imperator, which was originally a Roman military title akin to commander or generalissimo, but which already by the first century had become adopted as a title exclusive for the emperor. Caesar and imperator could be used inter-changedly, and that is why we generally feel no worries translating kaiser into emperor and emperor into kaiser, since both offices ultimately share a common origin, as they were used by Europeans working in the shadow of Ancient Rome. Now of course, it can be debated whether or not we should really call the Emperor of Japan an emperor, seeing his title has no ideological heritage from the Roman Empire, and it's basically just a matter of convention that we translate tennō (天皇) (which really means heavenly sovereign) into emperor. Contrary to what Pablo Sanchez might have thought, there is no universal template for human rulers, and had things been different, and the first European explorers to Japan decided that tennō meant king, then we'd today be talking about the King of Japan, and there would be nothing different about the throne in any sense.

But I digress. For some reason, many people in the English-speaking world refers to a female Russian ruler as a tsarina or czarina, which etymologically is quite interesting. As wikipedia tells us, this comes from German tsarin or czarin, and as we all know, in German, feminine titles are constructed by taking the masculine title and adding -in to the end (see for example könig and königin for king and queen). Indeed, the German word for empress is kaiserin. Why they decided to use czarin rather than kaiserin was because apparently these Germans were (like most of are) enamored by the foreign and exotic, and tsar to them sounded cooler than plain old kaiser (and it's for the same reason we say Kaiser Wilhelm and not Emperor William). Still, these Germans doesn't appear to have actually known what the Russians called their female rulers, so they just feminized it after the German rule book.

Consequently, Tsarina or Czarina, is an anglicized German word, which is a Russian word feminized by German linguistic rules, which itself is a russified Latin title that originally was a name. It's a Frankenstein's monster of a title.

The Russians themselves refer to their female sovereigns as царица. So, if you're going to call the Russian emperor by the transliteration of the Russian word for emperor, then it sort of makes sense that you call the Russian empress by the transliteration of the Russian word for empress, and not go on some bizarre detour via the German tongue. Depending on whether you transliterate ц as ts (as in Tsar) or cz (as in Czar) you get either Tsaritsa or Czaricza. If you get Tsaricza or Czaritsa, then you're being inconsistent in your transliteration.

As to why I went for Czaricza and not Tsaritsa?

I just feel the former looks cooler. :p

Last edited:
Well, the "cz" spelling is actually Polish. It's not strictly correct for Russian transliteration IOTL, but if Poland was more of a power post-1800 ITTL (and if Sweden is trying to keep Russia at bay, why not) it makes some sense. Also, I'm pretty sure a tsarina is a queen whereas a tsaritsa is a princess.

Well, the "cz" spelling is actually Polish. It's not strictly correct for Russian transliteration IOTL, but if Poland was more of a power post-1800 ITTL (and if Sweden is trying to keep Russia at bay, why not) it makes some sense. Also, I'm pretty sure a tsarina is a queen whereas a tsaritsa is a princess.

No, princess is tsarevna.

Well, the "cz" spelling is actually Polish. It's not strictly correct for Russian transliteration IOTL, but if Poland was more of a power post-1800 ITTL (and if Sweden is trying to keep Russia at bay, why not) it makes some sense.

I actually didn't know that. As far as I knew both were acceptable transliterations (wiki says that the letter is supposed to be pronounced like the zz in pizza).

But this actually plays in perfectly with the fact that for various reasons, in my timeline you'll end up seeing a massive Polish diaspora in western Europe, North and South America.

Remember how last time Sweden screwed over Poland, the event was so cataclysmic that it's still referred to as the Deluge?

Yeah, and remember that old hymn?

♪ God gave Noah the rainbow sign,
No more water,
But fire next time... ♪

I am really, really sorry, Poland. I really am.

Status
Not open for further replies.