Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes II

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Democratic nominee from Indiana? Preposterous! The Democratic nominee should've been from New York instead! The Democrat's always from New York, the Republican's always from Ohio. Thus is the natural order of things. :p

I was originally going to put Andrew Cuomo as the Democratic nominee, but he's a filthy papist, so it wouldn't hold true to an eternal Gilded Age.

General Emerson Lamont was one of the most famous Minutemen commanders to come out of the Ionian Mutiny. A gregarious, jovial man sporting a perfectly waxed handlebar mustache (in defiance of regulations), Lamont was the commander of strategic bombing forces during the Mutiny. Be originally began his career in the Air Force, but was quickly drummed out due to numerous violations (including politicizing and evangelizing while in uniform). He joined the NVPA Air Service, becoming a bomber pilot on the early generation of BC-130 Marauder II heavy bombers. At the start of the Mutiny, he was in command of the 13th Heavy Bombardment Brigade. He used modern computers and statistics to devise more efficient bombing patterns, and quickly rose through the ranks. He pushed General Humphrey Coleman for a broader air war, which began in early 2125, with Lamont as the Chief Commander of the Strategic Air Services. During the final year and a half of the Mutiny, the Air Service dropped nearly 300,000 tons of bombs, and were responsible for the deaths of more than 150,000 Americans.

The use of extensive strategic bombing against what were ostensibly American citizens was controversial in certain circles, but little was actually said or done about it. General Lamont was personable, charismatic and popular. He was well liked by the media, who wrote countless glowing personal profiles of him. After the end of major combat operations, Lamont stayed on as the Chief Commander of Strategic Air Services, overseeing its transitions into peace--most forces would be redeployed off-world, while the remaining forces would become peacetime deterrent. While Lamont retained his title, he moved his headquarters to Europa and spent the rest of the 2120s literally writing the book on Minutemen strategic bombing. Seeing a war with the Whaling Congress on the horizon, he pushed for an extensive fleet of strategic bombers, flying boat patrol bombers, tankers, airborne early warning & control platforms, modern electronic warfare platforms and even TACAMO (Take Command and Move Out) planes (most of which was accomplished by making extensive use of the C-130 Hercules airframe).

With the beginning of the Ithacan Emergency on Tethys, Lamont was given command of all American air forces on the Saturnian moon. The Emergency proved more difficult due to the moon's more mountainous geography, which mean that General Bombs Away couldn't just pound the opposition flat. Lamont experimented with lighter bombers like the B-21 Typhoon and the FV-34 Matador, and even experimented with adapting helicopters. Lamont adapted to the more tactical nature of the Ithacan insurgency, but he was still a strategic bombing man. He spent almost 4 years on Tethys--including the final 6 months as the four-star commander of USITHCOM--before returning the Jovian system. He took command of the Strategic Strike Command, a joint major command that oversaw all American strategic forces on Europa as tensions continue to mount with the Whaling Congress nations.

3gG10VO.png

Major General Ayase Lindelof is probably more infamous than famous, and certainly not popular. Her classified personnel file notes her violent and sadistic streak, and her then-boyfriend alleged abuse and false imprisonment during her time at the NVPA Academy (her boyfriend was a civilian, and charges were never pressed). She became an officer in the Office of Correctional Services, serving at various prisons across Io. When the Ionian Mutiny began, Lindelof was an assistant warden at Boswell Federal Correctional Facility, which housed numerous native prisoners. As news of the Mutiny spread, the prisoners began to riot. The warden and many other prison guards were killed, but Lindelof survived, and lead a harsh suppression of the riot. Her security forced ended up killing nearly 200 of the prison's 315 inmates. She was awarded the Volunteer Police Cross for her actions.

Afterwards, she was named the commander of the 222nd Police Brigade Team and was responsible for rounding potential dissidents and malefactors across the Commonwealth of Bosphorus. As local prisons and jails reached their bursting point, Lindelof lead the construction of a series of concentration camps that housed tens of thousands of prisoners in squalid conditions. She quickly rose through the ranks, being named the commander of the 41st Police Division and then the Chief of NVPA Correctional Services in Bosphorus, reaching the rank of major general. She also began to form Special Mission Groups, which were essentially special forces death squads that cleared out entire villages and lead deep action missions against insurgent targets.

Other prominent Minutemen began to question Lindelof's tactics, particular as news of camp and prison conditions began to spread. Humphrey Coleman, the Supreme Commander of American Police Forces on Io, spoke with her and attempted to alleviate issues. However, Lindelof would die only months before the end of major combat operations. Her convoy was ambushed by insurgents and Lindelof was killed. Her remains were cremated and interned at Jericho National Cemetery in Jericho, North Bosphorus. Lindelof became infamous, and Minutemen commanders like Coleman denounced her and her tactics. Post-war studies estimated that Lindelof was responsible for the deaths of between 50,000 and 90,000 Ionians. She was the granddaughter of All-Pro football player Smoking Joe Hayami, and her sister Haruka Lindelof is a senior Minuteman officer on Tethys.

8oJOODx.png

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
Presenting: the Eternal Gilded Age.
Nice work!

A Democratic nominee from Indiana? Preposterous! The Democratic nominee should've been from New York instead! The Democrat's always from New York, the Republican's always from Ohio. Thus is the natural order of things. :p
There was a veep candidate from New York, though, fulfilling the requirement that all Gilded Age elections have someone from New York and someone from Ohio.

There was a veep candidate from New York, though, fulfilling the requirement that all Gilded Age elections have someone from New York and someone from Ohio.

This reminds me of this statistic:

Between 1876 and 1948, or 19 US Presidential Elections, in all but three elections had Governors of New York win electoral votes either as a Presidential candidate or VP. Since then, no New York Governor has received electoral votes in any way

Here's a new Wikibox challenge: try to replicate a political landscape from your country's past with modern politicians.

I yield. It would only end in some Southerner scolding me for listing Eskil Erlandsson as a Cat and not a Hap, or something.

Here's a new Wikibox challenge: try to replicate a political landscape from your country's past with modern politicians.

I call this the Eternal Eighteenth Century. Of course, I've been selective in what I've carried over: there are female and Catholic leaders, but at the same time there's a heavily restricted franchise, lots of unopposed elections and seven-year parliamentary terms.

I like this, and may riff on the same theme. What is the Patriot Party, though? Clare Short is Irish, but it can't be the Irish Patriot party as she's representing an English seat and Ireland doesn't seem to be part of the Union.

I yield. It would only end in some Southerner scolding me for listing Eskil Erlandsson as a Cat and not a Hap, or something.

Let's see, Eskil Erlandsson. Farmer, liberal... Yeah, he's definitely a Cap. As widely appreciated in the Cap Party as he is in OTL Centre Party. He's essentially the image of the party's voters that the image wants to send out.

Centre Party people would fall into the Caps, and pretty much everyone else would be different kinds of Hats, with a few exceptions. Weirdly enough, I think both Olof Palme and Carl Bildt would be Hats.

Or maybe even the Toupée Party - one never knows.

There was a long time I thought a Tory was some sort of headgear, actually. I mean, there was after all the W(h)ig Party...

Hmm... Sounds like they would end up the party favored by labor and poor farmers. What with central banks and protectionism.

Except, you know, historically in the US, farmers have hated protectionism, and among Southern populists in particular tariffs were pure evil (look up Sam Rayburn's views on the matter, the guy seems to have genuinely believed that the Republican tariffs in the 1920s was something that had just been put up to deliberately screw over poor Southern farmers). Plus, at the time in the 1830s, Andrew Jackson was generally considered to be a populist who had massive support from the less well off, not in spite of, but because of his opposition to central banking. Central banking was seen as this elitist scheme of the aristocracy and wealthy by many, and consequently, Jackson's decision to get rid of the Second Bank was actually very popular.

Except, you know, historically in the US, farmers have hated protectionism, and among Southern populists in particular tariffs were pure evil (look up Sam Rayburn's views on the matter, the guy seems to have genuinely believed that the Republican tariffs in the 1920s was something that had just been put up to deliberately screw over poor Southern farmers). Plus, at the time in the 1830s, Andrew Jackson was generally considered to be a populist who had massive support from the less well off, not in spite of, but because of his opposition to central banking. Central banking was seen as this elitist scheme of the aristocracy and wealthy by many, and consequently, Jackson's decision to get rid of the Second Bank was actually very popular.
That's true. I guess the whole of the Western states apart from California (swing?) and Hawaii would be Democratic, then. They're rural after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.