Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is the best place for me to paste them together? I got the screenshots using the snipping tool and then saved them as a png.

Use GIMP 2. You can open one image, expand the canvas size, copy paste the second image next to the first, and then just drag the second image around until it's lined up the way you want it.

The state of Capricorn is the most populous U.S. state in the Commonwealth of Sicilia on Miranda. The state sits on several large oil reserves. The Rumsfeld Reef field is located just offshore and it has more than 15 billion barrels of recoverable oil, meanwhile, the Chicomepec fields contain more than 30 billion. Capricorn's oil fields produce more than 1.5 million barrels of crude oil a day, and production is expected to triple by the end of the 30s. Recent USGS surveys have indicated that the state could sit on as much as 250 billion barrels of crude and 50 trillion cubic feet of natural gas. Because of the large petroleum industry, the state's politics are dominated by the oil companies (primarily the supermajors of Esso, Texaco and AmocoMobil and the semi-governmental Petroleum Company of Capricorn (Petcap)), the unions and regulatory bodies. Since Capricorn was admitted as a U.S. state in 2126, the office of the Governor has largely been a ceremonial figurehead. Democrat Leigh Colvin was first elected in 2127 and was re-elected in 2131, defeating a Republican opponent both times (51-46 in 2127, and then 63-29 in 2131). In 2135, she was also endorsed by the Republican Party, and she chose former Republican State Senator Frances Hanley as her running mate. She defeated Green Party candidate Julius K. Babson by more than 80 points--there is a very small but very vocal minority of environmentalists in Capricorn who are opposed to continued drilling (particularly off-shore drilling), while Babson also received a fair number of disgruntled Republican voters.

9hEds3u.png

True political power in Capricorn rests within the Office of the Land Commissioner and within the Energy Sequence. The Land Commissioner overseas the General Land Office which manages Capricorn's publicly owned lands, by negotiating and enforcing leases for the use of the land, and sometimes by making sales of public lands. The Land Office also oversees the operations of Petcap. Republican Derick Dorsheimer--a former executive for AmocoMobil--was elected the first state Land Commissioner in 2126 and was reelected in 2130. He helped to establish the the Capricorn Permanent Fund, which sees at least 25% of the oil money would be put into a dedicated fund for future generations, paying out $1,500/annually to all state residents. However, Dorsheimer was growing increasingly unpopular with his fellow Republicans as he resisted calls to privatize elements of Petcap. He chose to run for a third term in 2134, but he faced a primary challenger in the form of State Senator Jim Spence who ran on a platform of deregulation and privitization. The primary was bitterly fought, but Dorsheimer came out on top, though damaged. For the Democrats, State Representative Rosanna Gonzales emerged out of another tough primary. Gonzales was backed by the OCWA and defeated better-funded primary challengers from the Pioneer Alliance and the United Mineworkers, and she campaigned to nationalize large swathes of land and to enforce a land value tax on the supermajor oil companies. Meanwhile, the Greens chose activist Rebecca Moorman as their candidate. Gonzaels defeated Dorsheimer by 4 points, but the true surprise was New Order candidate Sigmund Olson.

The New Order was a neo-fascist political party. Unlike the Pioneer Alliance that was accused of fascism due to their ultranationalism, militarism and racism, the New Order were actual neo-fascists who argued that (white) Americans were the true Aryan race and that while Hitler had certainly made some tactical blunders, Mein Kampf was a sterling work of fiction. Sigmund Olson (birth name: Stanley Pierzynski) started as a charismatic Christian preacher before become a neo-Nazi politician and believer in Esoteric Nazism and Wotanism. He believed that Hitler and other leading Nazis had escaped Earth following World War 2 on alien UFOs headed for Alpha Centauri, and that the United States had a mission to unite the Aryan race to bring about Ragnarok. The fact that Olson and the New Order did as well as they did was surprising to most observers, though it's believed that many Pioneer Alliance supporters were probably still upset at Gonzales winning the Democratic primary, so they just squinted hard enough and thought "close enough" when voting for Olson.

4Bz4HZP.png

The Capricorn Energy Sequence covers not only the petroleum industry, but also the nuclear and hydro power industries--though given the state's status as a de facto petrostate, it's the petroleum industry that's most important. As with most energy sequences, the Oil & Chemical Workers of America (OCWA) is the largest union represented. The OCWA is a member of the AFL-CIO, and the other member unions included the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) and the International Union of Operating Engineers (IUOE). The OCWA heads up the AFL-CIO federation on Capricorn, and Craig Poletti has served as the Secretary of the Energy Sequence since it first began in 2126. However, because the AFL-CIO has historically fallen shrot of a full majority, Poletti has governed in a coalition with the NCLC, which has two unions represented--the Teamsters and the Federation of American Scientists (FAS). The white collar American Federation of Salaried Employes made recent gains in 2134, with the Association of American Administrative Assistants (AAAA), Association of American Chemical Engineers (AACE) and the Nuclear Engineering Society of America (NESA) gaining votes--primarily at the expense of the NCLC. The right-wing Union of American Oil Workers (UAOW) also made surprising gains, surpassing the 4% threshold to win seats on the sequence.

The Energy Sequence has broad regulatory powers over the Capricorn petroleum industry. They recently negotiated a new collective bargaining agreement for workers that will see wages increase by more than 40% over the next 4 years. There's also ongoing negotiations to increase the ammount of oil money that goes into the permanent fund and also to increase payouts, though there's been little actual movement. The Energy Sequence serves as the state's de facto legislature while the Land Commissioner serves as the de facto executive. Poletti personally endorsed and campaign for Rosanna Gonzales in the Democratic primary for Land Commissioner despite calls from the AFL-CIO Executive Committee for union leaders to remain neutral in the primary. As with many states, Capricorn operates on the Three Men in a Room model of government, where in the Land Commissioner, Sequence Secretary and President of the State Chamber of Commerce meet to hammer out decisions and compromises. Dirty, yes, but it gets the job done.

A rising issue that has become a source of contention within the various factions of the Democratic Party is what to do with aboriginal lands. The native quatequia species has been largely relegated to small First Nation reserves (aka bantustans) along the state's western borders. However, recent geological surveys have indicated that there could be significant oil reserves under the land. Some have said that this would be a commonwealth or even federal matter, but most of the land in Mecalhuia and Paccama bantustans (were an estimated 20 billion barrels are located) were once part of Capricorn Territory before they were separated by the federal government to form the bantustans. The Pioneer Alliance has been pushing for the American government at all levels to make use of those lands, and it's also an issue that Sigmund Olson and the New Order has pounced on. Democratic leaders like Gonzaels and Poletti are hesitant to act without the commonwealth or federal governments blessing, but there's a concern of rising militarism and radicalization in certain segments of society that could lead to a potential filibuster movement.

htNxOcR.png

Vocal Chords is a strong Emotionalist. He was the Foreign Minister under Prime Minister Heart, but was replaced when the Rational Thought Party retook control. He is now Deputy Foreign Minister for Familial Relations under the new coalition.

Indeed. The Rational Thought Party is not big on empathy or other peoples' feelings.

That's . . . that's actually a pretty good point. I was trying to think of another faction for the next infobox (which won't be coming for another couple weeks), but I had a bit of a mental block. Yeah, I may steal that idea.

Oh and to clarify, this infobox series is about a completely fictional character that is absolutely not based on me in any way. ;)

I like the idea of a human body as a federation, but you're probably right that the "Biology" aspect should be emphasized in the name somewhere. Maybe Biological Federal Election or Federal Biological Election?

Happy to be of help.

As I've said before, these are all very nice and well made, but I feel like AJND boxes should go on their own specialized thread. It kind of feels like there have been a lot more then necessary on this thread.
Make a thread for the infinite variety of generic mediocre thoughtless election wikiboxes first and we'll talk.

As it is, you're just complaining because Archie's actually producing quality works, which is... kind of a dick move, really.

As I've said before, these are all very nice and well made, but I feel like AJND boxes should go on their own specialized thread. It kind of feels like there have been a lot more then necessary on this thread.

I did put a lot of time into these ones, so thanks for the compliment there. :)

Pisces

Banned

Start making quality wikiboxes involving something other than shitty Anglo analogue elections then maybe you'll have a point.

Make a thread for the infinite variety of generic mediocre thoughtless election wikiboxes first and we'll talk.

As it is, you're just complaining because Archie's actually producing quality works, which is... kind of a dick move, really.

So your complain about me being a dick, while shitting on the majority of the thread? Not sure about the logic there man.

Anyways, plenty of works here have spun-off into their own threads, I don't see why not for the AJND ones. It's not something that's deeply affecting me, just a suggestion.

I did put a lot of time into these ones, so thanks for the compliment there. :)

Like I said, very high quality. More work was probably put into one of those then, like, the entirety of the Lodgeverse. I just think it would be nice to have them all organized into a single area of there own, mostly because there aren't any links to see the previous ones (which go back to all the way to the original thread) and because they are all so interconnected it's hard to parse out the story sometimes.

Start making quality wikiboxes involving something other than shitty Anglo analogue elections then maybe you'll have a point.

Once the rest of the flyover continents starts mattering, then I will.

More irony, most of the AJND boxes have been about America and American elections.

Are there any comments about the content of my post? I did make three separate infoboxes and added a 1200 word writeup, and all I've gotten is an attempt at thread policing.

Are there any comments about the content of my post? I did make three separate infoboxes and added a 1200 word writeup, and all I've gotten is an attempt at thread policing.

Fair point.

1.) Did you really make a Pole (the former "Stanley Pierzynski") a Space Neo-Nazi? Does Aryan to them just mean White instead of only Teutonic/German?

2.) Do these Space Neo-Nazi's want to exterminate alien races, or "merely" enslave them (even more so then they apparently already are)?

3.) Are people without pictures just not big enough to get their own ones, in-universe, or is it laziness on our favorite overworked angel? :p

So your complain about me being a dick, while shitting on the majority of the thread? Not sure about the logic there man.

Anyways, plenty of works here have spun-off into their own threads, I don't see why not for the AJND ones. It's not something that's deeply affecting me, just a suggestion.
Let's be honest, much like the Map Thread or any other maps and graphics thread, there's usually a pretty clear quality tier. Telling Archie numerous times in this thread (as you have) to send his stuff to its own thread just seems like you're trying to become Thread Police, like you tried in the election thread in chat. It's gotten to the point where it's actively annoying to see you basically tell the person who's put more good, interesting work into this thread than anyone else to go away- especially because Archie already did this and it wasn't working out compared to posting them here.

(if the rest of the thread will please forgive me for getting defensive over Archie; he's my friend and I like working on AJND myself in the places where I'm allowed to.)

Pisces

Banned

The trend of Democratic supremacy in the outer planets continues, which is actually quite scary. I was expecting the Pioneer Alliance to run their own candidate after losing one primary but I don't expect that they're that kind of political organization (is it like 1924 and they're the KKK?) Anyways, the actual Nazis are kind of interesting, though not really something I expected in the retrofuture.

I really like union elections; one thing that interests me is that the American Scientists are affiliated with NCLC? I thought that was just the Teamsters' organization. Are all outer system unions dominated by the AFL-CIO or are there places where there're exceptions?

Sabot Cat

Banned

To be honest, your infoboxes set in the future have been something of an inspiration for me in my (no pun intended) future projects, because they're just so awesome.

Things I like:

(1) Your penchant for exact future statistics that sound very plausible on the face of them and logical connections to the past throughout the work, both of which lend a strong foundation of verisimilitude to the entire endeavor
(2) I really like that use photos of professionally photographed people who are relatively obscure (to me)
(3) The Capricorn flag looks really neat and well designed.
(4) The palette for the parties you use is generally easy on the eyes, and there's not a lot of bright, garish colors, if any.
(5) The ideas themselves are cool: intra-union elections, a futuristic fascist party, 22nd century elections, and off-world colonies? I'm there!

Let's be honest, much like the Map Thread or any other maps and graphics thread, there's usually a pretty clear quality tier. Telling Archie numerous times in this thread (as you have) to send his stuff to its own thread just seems like you're trying to become Thread Police, like you tried in the election thread in chat. It's gotten to the point where it's actively annoying to see you basically tell the person who's put more good, interesting work into this thread than anyone else to go away- especially because Archie already did this and it wasn't working out compared to posting them here.

(if the rest of the thread will please forgive me for getting defensive over Archie; he's my friend and I like working on AJND myself in the places where I'm allowed to.)

...Once. Literally one time, about three months ago, did I suggest that. Not demanding it, not snarling like an animal, just a simple suggestion.

But I'm not going to anymore, so calm down there.

...Once. Literally one time, about three months ago, did I suggest that. Not demanding it, not snarling like an animal, just a simple suggestion.

But I'm not going to anymore, so calm down there.
My apologies, then. It must have made a bigger impression in my memory than I... remembered, or something.

I just get a bit defensive where AJND is concerned, like a weird uncle who shows up at holidays or something. :eek:

1.) Did you really make a Pole (the former "Stanley Pierzynski") a Space Neo-Nazi? Does Aryan to them just mean White instead of only Teutonic/German?

The Aryan race distills all the good attributes of all the white races into one. That's why it's not just Germans or just northern Europeans--but the melting pot of Earth, the United States.

2.) Do these Space Neo-Nazi's want to exterminate alien races, or "merely" enslave them (even more so then they apparently already are)?

The U.S. needs to do a more thorough job of exterminating aborigines.

3.) Are people without pictures just not big enough to get their own ones, in-universe, or is it laziness on our favorite overworked angel? :p

A little from Column A, a little from Column B. Not every major party candidate gets a picture in OTL Wikipedia for gubernatorial elections, though Wikipedia has been getting better about it recently.

The trend of Democratic supremacy in the outer planets continues, which is actually quite scary. I was expecting the Pioneer Alliance to run their own candidate after losing one primary but I don't expect that they're that kind of political organization (is it like 1924 and they're the KKK?)

The Pioneer Alliance are more like a super PAC that backs candidates with support and money. They do occasionally run their own candidates under a Pioneer Alliance or Pioneer Party line, but generally just piggyback off exisiting parties (99% of the time its Democrats). They're a super PAC with a paramilitary force.

Anyways, the actual Nazis are kind of interesting, though not really something I expected in the retrofuture.

It was a random idea that just struck me and I decided to run with it.

I really like union elections; one thing that interests me is that the American Scientists are affiliated with NCLC? I thought that was just the Teamsters' organization. Are all outer system unions dominated by the AFL-CIO or are there places where there're exceptions?

The NCLC is a broad tent union like the AFL-CIO with a bunch of different unions. It's a generally angrier bunch of unions who don't like cuddling up with business like the AFL-CIO does. And most Outer System worlds do tend to have a very high number of unionized blue collar workers because of the nature of them--fewer white collar positions in what's largely developing economies.

To be honest, your infoboxes set in the future have been something of an inspiration for me in my (no pun intended) future projects, because they're just so awesome.

Things I like:

(1) Your penchant for exact future statistics that sound very plausible on the face of them and logical connections to the past throughout the work, both of which lend a strong foundation of verisimilitude to the entire endeavor
(2) I really like that use photos of professionally photographed people who are relatively obscure (to me)
(3) The Capricorn flag looks really neat and well designed.
(4) The palette for the parties you use is generally easy on the eyes, and there's not a lot of bright, garish colors, if any.
(5) The ideas themselves are cool: intra-union elections, a futuristic fascist party, and off-world colonies? I'm there!

(1) I have spreadsheets. So many spreadsheets. But at this point, I just plug in some numbers and voila, I get my results.
(2) I trowel various lower levels of government for pictures of people that look suitable enough to use.
(3) It's a Sicilian triskelion (because, you know, Commonwealth of Sicilia) on a slightly more Americany background.
(4) Thanks. I spend so much time coming up with the proper pallete for them, just to get the colors down right. At this point Blue Republican/Orange Democrat is so ingrained in my mind I was looking at an OTL election map and was very confused.
(5) AJND can be existentially terrifying. Be careful what you wish for. :p

(5) AJND can be existentially terrifying. Be careful what you wish for. :p

Sometimes I worry this is really all your manifesto, and in a few decades America might look something like this (well, less with the Aliens and Columbianism, and more with the technocracy and the unions).

You're not planning anything are you Mike? Pinkie promise?

Status
Not open for further replies.