Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes II

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOOOORRRMMMONNNSSSS... INNNNNNNN... SPAAAAAACCCEEEEEEE...

Getting their hand carts across the Asteroid Belt might be a bit problematic.

Martian Deseret is Best Deseret?

It really is. And it has nukes!

Very nice infobox and backstory, Archangel Michael. I enjoyed reading it a lot.

Thanks!

Why is the US supporting Deseret instead of annexing it?

At first, Deseret got really lucky, winding up on Mars after WW3 after a Scramble in a spot of land that nobody really wanted at the time. At this point, they don't want to be Americans and the U.S. doesn't really care about messing with a nuclear-armed state.

Mormon Space Saudi Arabia. Never thought I'd say those words.

AJND really is a magical place that brings everyone together.

As a Mormon myself, I have to say.... hooray for Mormon Space Assad? Seems interesting, at the least. Love the stereotypical names, they're great.

It's been a sort of percolating idea in the back of my mind for a while. One story idea I'll get around to eventually is the new U.S. Ambassador arriving in Deseret. One Maureen "Mo" Udall.

Holy shit. 2000 nukes? 27 kids? This guy doesn't play it small!

Go big or go home. That's his motto.

Welcome back, Mike. Good to see you in this thread. Do you take requests, by any chance?

I am certainly amenable to requests if they interest me.

! Political dynasties just get more entrenched as time goes by, huh?

There's a lot of inertia behind them with the concentration of wealth and power, partly due to much longer lifespans.

EDIT: And why on Earth (or, Mars) would the US give Deseret nukes?

Since this is an atompunk world, nuclear reactors are everywhere. Not that everyone can turn nuclear reactors into nuclear warheads, but the knowledge base and material is there. And American defense contractors really love free money.

Going back to the Quebec Governors, how long did Duplessis serve? I think I counted something like 6 terms and a resignation. Staggeringly long.

Going back to the Quebec Governors, how long did Duplessis serve? I think I counted something like 6 terms and a resignation. Staggeringly long.

In OTL For about a total of 18 years (From 1936 to 1955, there was a gap between 1939 and 1944), he also won around 5 elections in Quebec (1936, 1944, 1948, 1952 and 1956)

I do know one thing, the first thing we need to do is figure out how we got all of North America, what the national politics were, and then work downward.

I would suggest having a good look at this thread on another forum which I have been posting in, especially the latter posts:

http://www.counter-factual.net/upload/showthread.php?t=26383

Several events might happen in ITTL that did not happen in OTL such as:

1: Earlier Civil Right Movement

2: Increased likelihood of Radical Reconstruction

3: No immigration limits aimed at Europeans, Latin Americans and Filipinos at least

4: Increased support for Progressive Economic and Social Policies

5: Hispanics considered equals to White Americans since at least the Early 1900s.

6: Worse relations with the United Kingdom

7: Increased likelihood of either remaining neutral or backing the CP in WW1

8: The ITTL USA being more diverse than in OTL

Thoughts?

Really nice Upton Sinclair. I hope you don't mind but I had a play around and cleared up the map a bit:

8PwbeZL.png

A very nice and well done infobox, however can you add Central America (Minus Panama) and Greenland onto the Map and change the following details as well:

Name: United States of North America

Area: 24,713,211 Sq Km (1st)

Population: 727,027,267 (3rd)

Density: 29.4/km2

GDP Total (Nominal and PPP): $41.231 Trillion (1st)

GDP Per Capita (Nominal and PPP): $58,087 (9th)

HDI: 0.917 (Very High) (3rd)

A very nice and well done infobox, however can you add Central America (Minus Panama) and Greenland onto the Map and change the following details as well:

Name: United States of North America

Area: 24,713,211 Sq Km (1st)

Population: 727,027,267 (3rd)

Density: 29.4/km2

GDP Total (Nominal and PPP): $41.231 Trillion (1st)

GDP Per Capita (Nominal and PPP): $58,087 (9th)

HDI: 0.917 (Very High) (3rd)

As the creator of the original inbox (the other one was with a better map), I really don't think the USA would be called the USNA, and that people would actually change it to the USNA. Additionally, I highly doubt that a) any USA would be that rich (I made the US not be as rich as OTL as I don't think the Philippines could be as rich as the OTL USA in just 100 years), and b) the areas ruled by the ATL United States are actually all the areas that the USA currently controls, at one time were formally part of the USA (except for Liberia and parts of the Pacific), tried to control via war (Canada) or seriously considered annexing (Mexico, Dominican Republic). As far as I know, Central America minus Panama and Greenland do not fall into any of those categories.

As the creator of the original inbox (the other one was with a better map), I really don't think the USA would be called the USNA, and that people would actually change it to the USNA.

Well to be honest (and TPL99 already used this name) I had to come up with a name that would make it clear it is ATL and for the SW thread itself. You don't have to push though this

Additionally, I highly doubt that a) any USA would be that rich (I made the US not be as rich as OTL as I don't think the Philippines could be as rich as the OTL USA in just 100 years)

Well Mexico has the resource and people to produce a developed nation, the problem is however governance and stability, that more than anything undermined the development of Mexico.

Likewise The Philippines are not poor in either resources or people and again suffered from the "governance and stability" as Mexico did, also remember that investment by the US Military in the Philippines (as is the case in Guam) is likely to be a factor its economy.

After all Korea, which many dismissed as likely to remain third-world has been considered to be a developed and rather wealthy nation for 20 years.

and b) the areas ruled by the ATL United States are actually all the areas that the USA currently controls, at one time were formally part of the USA (except for Liberia and parts of the Pacific), tried to control via war (Canada) or seriously considered annexing (Mexico, Dominican Republic). As far as I know, Central America minus Panama and Greenland do not fall into any of those categories.

I think you better want to read this about Central America:

https://history.state.gov/milestones/1830-1860/territorial-expansion

Likewise America was certainly interested in developing the Nicaragua Canal, so I would think they would want to control the surrounding area.

As for Greenland, it was under the Occupation of USA during WW2 when Denmark was under Nazi Occupation and tried to buy Greenland from the Danes after the War:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100107...review.com/nr_comment/nr_comment050701b.shtml

The Office for the Second Amendment is an element of the Executive Office of the President that was started under the Thurman administration early in his administration. During the 2120s, there was a rapid growth of private paramilitary militias, particularly on the frontier in the Outer System, and President Benjamin G. Thurman hoped to be able to coordinate and support them through the White House. While named after the Second Amendment, the Office for the Second Amendment primarily deals with private militias, which can be broadly divided into political, religious and personal militias. The office coordinates and funds militia activities on the frontier, and even offers contracts for private military service--quite controversially since many of the militias are union militias and pro-Democratic.

Thurman named former federal judge Bryan Beyeler the first (and so far only) Director of the Office for the Second Amendment--his so called Militia Czar. Beyeler was known for his strong, originalist stance on the Second Amendment and for the protection of gun rights. He stepped down from the federal bench in 2121, and it was rumored that he joined the Second Order of the Consecrated Jurists--a secretive Columbianist monastic order that recruits retired judges, lawyers and scholars as a sort of pro-Second Amendment, pro-gun rights think tank. It's membership is extremely secretive, and the only members who appear in public are mute pages. Beyeler's selection for the post (which did not require Congressional approval) was quite controversial because of his past views regarding gun rights and because nobody had any idea what he'd been doing with himself for the past 12 years--his official White House biography simply says that he spent those 12 years vacationing, spending time with friends and staying up to speed with modern jurisprudence.

vgYGkef.png

-*-*-*-

One of the older and most well known militia groups are a loose collective of militias known simply as "union militias". In 2094, an amendment to the annual National Defense Authorization Act allowed for national service veterans to retain some military equipment after they mustered out: ballistic vests, rifles, sidearms, ammunition, webbing, etc. This formed the basis of the union militias, which operate almost entirely on an ad hoc basis on the frontier. Since almost all workers are veterans of the regular military or the Minutemen, they have the training and equipment necessary. The unions draw on this cadre of young, experienced workers for emergencies and for defense of factories, farms, mines, towns, etc.

The AFL-CIO created the Select Committee for the Defense of Labor in 2117 in order to better coordinate these union militias. The current chair of the committee is Gerald Cermak, who had previously been the Deputy Premier of Valhalla and the President of the United Mineworkers of America in Valhalla. Cermak was brought in to clean up the Labor Defense Committee and to institute standardization of regulations and usage. Cermak has helped draw up the Meridian Declaration, giving local, state and commonwealth union chapters great autonomy in calling up militias, but within certain conditions. Since then, union militias have been used extensively across the Outer System frontier, on every world and in every territory and having fought alongside the Minutemen, alongside other militias and independently.

However, the success of the union militias has not been without controversy. The union militias are controlled by the AFL-CIO and its constituent trade unions, who provide the Democratic Party with votes, donations and infrastructure every election cycle (it doesn't help that orange is the color of organized labor in the United States and the color of the Democratic Party, and that the union militias make heavy use of orange hardhats). There have been many Republicans who have taken shots at the Labor Defense Committee and the Democratic Party, saying that there is a very clear and potentially dangerous conflict of interest--there were rumors that union militias were used to suppress the Republican vote on the frontier in 2132, but a Department of Justice investigation turned up no evidence of such voter suppression. All Republican hopefuls heading into the 2136 presidential election have pledged to shut down the Office for the Second Amendment despite pressure from the National Rifle Association, the Sportsman Guild and the Sierra Club.

QSTpL6p.png

-*-*-*-

On a chilly October morning, a small Catholic Church on Tethys was attacked and burned to the ground by aborigine insurgents. Nearly thirty Americans were killed in the attack, including five members of the Military order of Solomon's Temple in America--the modern Knights Templar. The most prominent death was that of John Patrick Brunett, the founder and Superior General of the Knights Templar. Brunett was a veteran of the United States Marine Corps who left the Corps after a near-death experience. He settled down initially as a parish priest on the frontier, but something still wasn't right. After witnessing an attack that leveled his whole village, Brunett founded the modern Knights Templar. He--along with all those who died that night in White Falls--would be canonized in April 2129 by Patriarch John Paul III.

The Knights Templar are one of two major military orders in the Free Catholic Church, the other being the Catholic Zouaves. The Zouaves are a light infantry force, comprised of volunteers and fully outfitted with light armored vehicles and a very small contingent of aircraft. The Knights Templar, on the other hand, are an all-male monastic military order that doubles as a mobile infantry force that uses surplus M4555 Fenrir IV powered armor. They are much smaller due to higher costs, but provide a heavier element than regular light infantry. The structure of the Catholic military orders is mirrored by the Columbianists: the light infantry Janissaries and then the mobile infantry Valkyrie orders (though the Valkyries are an all-female monastic order). The Templars and Valkyries both rely heavily on government support due to higher costs, but in recent years, they have accumulated a great deal of personal wealth due to land holdings and alliances with local unions.

mqNGv8N.png

-*-*-*-

When Bracken Kessler was first elected Governor of Utah in 2108, he came on board as an energetic and charismatic reformer who had accumulated a great deal of personal wealth following his career as a real estate developer. He was re-elected in 2112, but his decision to run for the Senate in 2114 proved to be his political downfall. He was a vocal expansionist but was faced with a national party that was quietly reconsidering isolationism. Falling behind in the primary, he left the Republican Party and ran as an independent, but lost to his own Attorney General in the general. After his defeat, his finished his final two years as a Democrat before retiring from politics completely in 2117. After his retirement, he joined the board of directors of several companies and returned to his old real estate business, all while donating millions to political campaigns and PACs to support pro-expansionist Republicans and Democrats.

In 2119, his son--who was living on Titan at the time--wrote to him and told him about the dangers of frontier life. Kessler--who'd majored in history in college--remembered the early Mormon militias. Forming a plan, he approached the church leadership with a proposal. The Catholics and Columbianists have their own military orders, so why not the Mormons? Initially met with skepticism, the Red Rock Massacre of 2120 on Titan changed the church's mind. The LDS Church formed a military order, naming it after the historical Nauvoo Legion. Like the Catholic Zouavees and the Columbianist Janissaries, the Nauvoo Legion is a light infantry combined arms force that assists other militias and regular military forces on the frontier. In particular, the Legion, backed by Columbianist Valkyries, has been heavily involved in the defense of the Puckian territories--all five have the highest percentage of Mormons in the Saturnian system. Kessler was named a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in 2126 and he has been nicknamed the "Mormon Defense Secretary" for his service.

M2yyIfB.png

NothingNow

Banned
So that's where the militias get some of their kit from.

I assume it's still legal to sell a Ma Deuce to a civilian in AJND?

NothingNow

Banned
In most jurisdictions in the Outer System it is. However, cost and ammunition might be prohibitive for most. There are very few actual federal gun control laws.

Ah. Yeah, .50BMG isn't going to be cheap, especially if it has to be shipped across the system because the local factory is full up on orders from the Minutemen and Militias.

Another AJND Scandinavia infobox, with Archangel Michael's permission.

To most, the "Red Planet" as a nickname for Mars derives solely from the tinge of the planet's large desert expanses. To a Scandinavian, however, the term is an intensely political one. The inhabitants of Vigrid, the Scandinavian colony on Mars, have always been, or seemed to be, a little more left-wing than the rest of the country. This shows in such statistics as trade union membership, which is close to 90% (although as usual, the Ghent system used in Scandinavia means that trade union membership and leftist politics need not be connected in any way), and the voteshare of the Labour Party, which occasionally reaches an overall majority. Since the position was created, Vigrid's premiership has been held by a member of that party, although this is aided by the state's bicameral legislature, a significant portion of whose upper house is nominated by trade unions.

Vigrid's complete one-party dominance has led to a number of differences in its constitution compared with those of the other six states of Scandinavia. Its retention of an upper legislative house (half of which is elected by county councils, the other half nominated by various professional groups), a feature not shared by any other state, is one of them. Another is the election system used for the lower house, closed-list PR based on the federal constituencies (which each get three members in the house - this setup has been criticised for making it easy for the largest party to get overwhelming seat majorities). By far the most prominent one, however, is the direct election of the state's Prime Minister, which has been an element of its political system since 2089. This is done by means of a two-round system, although a number of elections have failed to require a second round as the Labour candidate received an overall majority of votes in the first round. In those that do advance, the main excitement of the election lies in which of the various other candidates will advance to the second round alongside the Labour candidate, and how big of a landslide the latter will achieve in the second round.

The 2133 elections were no exception to this pattern. Incumbent Prime Minister Adam Wallström (Labour) decided not to seek a fourth term in office, handing the nomination to Martin Matsson, the Minister for Labour, who was acclaimed unanimously by the party conference in February. Matsson's background as a shop steward in the Haakonssted locomotive works made him an accessible and popular candidate among Vigrid's working class. His Conservative counterpart Bertil Cederström, a recently immigrated Swedish aristocrat, was forced to shift his campaign focus away from taxes and toward the regional Comintern threat, another perennial favourite with the Conservative base that had a chance of appealing to outsiders. Instead the most remarkable "second-party" candidate was the Science Party's Knut Åkesson, a former farming tech whose flamboyant style and technocratic platform gained him third place in the first round, although still nine percentage points behind Cederström. The Progressive Party, in continual decline ever since farm automation reached Vigrid, failed to make any significant impact for the third time running, and only narrowly remained above a 10% voteshare.

The result of the second round was as unsurprising as that of the first one - Matsson crushed Cederström in a two-week campaign largely focused on identity politics, and proceeded to garner almost two thirds of the vote.

AJND-val-vigrid-2133.png

AJND-val-vigrid-2133.png

Some damn fine work there, Ares. A popularly elected prime minister isn't something you see everyday.

I do enjoy the fact that Cederström brought his own background to the photo session. The one they had available wasn't blue enough.

These are all really good AJND infoboxes, Archangel Michael and Ares. I always enjoy these.

Archangel, how many organized religions have their own militias in AJND? Is this fairly common?

It's mostly just the (Free) Catholics, Mormons and Columbianists (the Jews have them, but they're much thinner on the ground). Those three religions have American and religious expansion as key tenants of their modern dogma, so they're much heavier on the ground on the frontier and in more organized communities.

Status
Not open for further replies.