Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Olympics are incredibly popular, both for viewers and advertisers. The IOC has started World Games on other planets--of both the Summer and Winter varieties. The 2133 Io World Games were the largest Io World Games yet, with more than 2,000 athletes participating in 271 events. Hosted by the United States, the home nation came out ahead on the final medal table. The 2137 Io World Games are set to be hosted in Shagonar in the Kaspiysk SSR. There are no Winter World Games on Io, though with the International Ski Federation starting an Alpine Io Cup in 2135, it has been considered.

hiLd5jJ.png

The two major breakout stars of the 2133 World Games were American swimmers Ayda Nikaza and Zoey Cassati. They won a combined 10 medals, including 6 gold medals. Nikaza became the face of the World Games, as she made the talk show circuit during and after, while Cassati was more reserved--though she was a very enthusiastic supporter of her swim team partner. However, multi-million dollar sponsorship deals have been slow to come in due to questions about their family connections. Ayda Nikaza is the daughter of Brent Miyasa (the leader of a Martian Mafia syndicate) while Zoey Cassati is the daughter of Sam Cassati (the leader of the Jupiter Outfit).

RpzjRrZ.png

Last edited:
If it helps, I probably wouldn't have spotted that if I hadn't seen it in a documentary earlier today.

Well that's a crazy random happenstance if I've ever seen one.

I have some new ideas for my Io Noir/Gangster storyline. Now if only I had the time to write them all out.

Chosen on the recommendation of President Roosevelt, Richard Tracy was instrumental in the post-war clean-up of American magical institutions. Where Calhoun had wallowed in corruption, and Cranston had dealt out punishments only to the most egregious of offenders, Tracy committed to an all-out purge of wrong-doers. He and his Yellow Coats (as his hand-picked wizard detectives came to be known) smashed bootleg alchemist rings, white-slaver hypnotists, homunculists, and even darker criminals.

His uncompromising stance, while popular with the public at large, won him few friends in magical circles, as even the whitest wizard had some secrets he preferred to keep to himself. Tracy also adapted poorly to the emerging Cold War atmosphere, moral corruption not being a good lens through which to conduct counter-intelligence operations, and his vocal objections to Operation Paperclip made things difficult for everyone.

There was some talk at high levels (in Washington and Chicago) of seeking his voluntary retirement in favor of someone more in tune with the needs of national security, but it was all rendered moot when Tracy sacrificed himself to stop the Nazi occultist Karl Wiligut from using a sabotaged V-2 test rocket to kill President Truman.

Jzpsdy0.png

Grand Thaumaturgist of the United States
1. John C. Calhoun 1863-1934
2. Lamont Cranston 1934-1944

NothingNow

Banned
Soviet Magic would be a thing to behold.

And so would Nazi magic. Like some sort of neo-Norse thing. Terrifying.

I've been deliberately avoiding it for my series, because it'd probably end up getting too cliche too early, which is what I'm really trying to avoid with Project Alraune.

Oh yes, most definitely.

I think I'll go through and bring the Grand Thaumaturgists up to the present day before I do anything else.
Good plan.

I like this "Ministry of Magic" series :D

Any background info there?

Randy Stone was popular, he was good-looking, he was incorruptible, he was stead-fast in battling the insidious Communists, he promised to put a newer, better face on American magic.

And he was a mistake.

The Convocation knew that Tracy had ruffled too many feathers towards the end of his tenure, so they sought out a man willing to march in lock-step with Washington, if only to protect themselves from talk of Congressional oversight. Stone had rushed into fame with his public-relations radio show The Night Beat, which was an utterly 'responsible' program, telling exactly the truths that were needed - honest, hard-working Americans, mundane and magical, struggling together against Communist subversion.

He seemed like the perfect man.

The problem was, well, that he never wanted the job. Stone was, at heart, a journalist, who believed in the truth. That he had been telling popular truths for a time didn't mean he wasn't prepared to tell unpopular ones, and putting him in the Black Chair gave him access to a lot of juicy stories. After one leak too many, it was put about that he had a heart attack, and resigned voluntarily to go back to his radio show.

The Convocation was suitably chastised, and with the House Committee on Un-American Wizardry looming over them, they would have to do better.

JzQSWTm.png

Grand Thaumaturgist of the United States
1. John C. Calhoun 1863-1934
2. Lamont Cranston 1934-1944
3. Dick Tracy 1944-1950

Status
Not open for further replies.