Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Archangel Michael- I admit I cracked a big smile when I saw that one of the states on Puck is called "Bemidji". Especially fitting for a place that is extremely cold and faces problems with members of the aboriginal population (albeit more "they're existing and in our way" rather than "higher than average poverty, incarceration and drug abuse rates").

A few days after the election.
I also realized that I left it saying that Miliband was the incumbent so that's another mistake. The Imgur community actually made some corrections as well because I accidentally upload it for the whole world to mock. I'm sure Meadow is out there somewhere, shaking his head. Here is the revised prediction for the 2015 election.

SQA7Kk4.png

Archangel Michael- I admit I cracked a big smile when I saw that one of the states on Puck is called "Bemidji". Especially fitting for a place that is extremely cold and faces problems with members of the aboriginal population (albeit more "they're existing and in our way" rather than "higher than average poverty, incarceration and drug abuse rates").

I just really like the word Bemidji. It's very aesthetically appealing to me. And it fits a little bit with the area.

A bit like three-legged fleas. Two legs back, one leg in the front that also doubles as a hand. No real head or centralized nervous system. Older ones have natural armor plating. Adults can get quite big.
How big are we talking?

Like, grizzly bear big? Elephant big? Godzilla big?

Thande

Donor
I also realized that I left it saying that Miliband was the incumbent so that's another mistake. The Imgur community actually made some corrections as well because I accidentally upload it for the whole world to mock. I'm sure Meadow is out there somewhere, shaking his head. Here is the revised prediction for the 2015 election.
You got the wrong Miliband brother there.

To be fair, lots of people in his own constituency apparently can't tell them apart.

You got the wrong Miliband brother there.

To be fair, lots of people in his own constituency apparently can't tell them apart.
GODAMMIT! I wrote it right in my first attempt, and I fucked up the second. This is why I proofread. Can I do anything right?

Four For Gore

In Canada, when the dust had settled from the Liberals' sixth-consecutive election victory (albeit a minority), one thing was clear - Conservative leader Rona Ambrose was out of a job. With her personal popularity already low, her brief suggestion that the Conservatives would team up with the NDP and the Bloc Quebecois to kick the Liberals out of office, and the subsequent media frenzy surrounding it, caused it to sink even further.

The Conservative Party thus found itself in its third leadership race in less than a decade. While there was some speculation that New Brunswick Premier Bernard Lord or Ontario Premier John Tory might enter the race, both declined, once again leaving Calgary MP Jim Prentice as the presumed frontrunner. Just like in 2006, though, fate would have other plans, and Prentice would soon find himself faced with a strong campaign from Quebec MP Maxime Bernier. The popular though controversial Bernier, one of the Conservatives' only MPs from Quebec, ran his campaign based on his conservative credentials (as opposed to Prentice's more moderate policies), personal popularity, and the argument that his appeal in Quebec would allow the Conservatives to finally defeat the Liberals. While Prentice supporters would attempt to paint Bernier as "the Ambrose of Quebec," due to their similar policies and Bernier's slight gaffe-prone personality, the message failed to appeal to Conservative voters and on December 4, 2010, Prentice once again lost a race he was supposed to have won.

With Bernier's victory, the governing Liberals of Michael Ignatieff initially celebrated - like Prentice, they too considered Bernier as "the Ambrose of Quebec," and given how they had defeated the original Ambrose with relative ease, they thought they could do the same to her Quebec cousin. However, polls soon began to paint a different picture, and the joy experienced by Ignatieff's inner circle turned to fear. Under the leadership of Bernier, Conservative support rose across the country (though noticeably less so in the West), and significantly in Quebec. Primarily thanks to Bernier's home-province popularity, the Conservatives found themselves in the lead over the Liberals.

With Bernier's popularity, the Liberals found themselves on the defence. Arguably the prime focus of the Ignatieff government became avoiding an election, hoping that, if given more time, Bernier would self-destruct as Ambrose had done, and that their attacks on his leadership would stick. The Liberals, thanks to a more left-leaning budget than normal being passed by the NDP, managed to survive through 2011, but this would not be the case for 2012.

By this time, both the NDP and Bloc Quebecois had experienced a change of leadership. NDP leader Jack Layton passed away due to cancer in the summer of 2011, and was replaced by NDP President Brian Topp. The Bloc Quebecois, meanwhile, had seen longtime leader Gilles Duceppe resign in the fall of 2011 to successfully challenge embattled Parti Quebecois leader Pauline Marois's leadership, and ultimately replaced him with Hochelaga MP and former Quebec cabinet minister Daniel Paille. When the Liberals presented their 2012 budget, they had hoped that the NDP and Bloc would support it to avoid sending their only recently elected leaders into an election, but this would not be the case - the opposition parties united to defeat the government, sending Canadians to the polls.

With the economy trotting along somewhat smoothly (especially compared to other countries), the Liberals made this the focus of their campaign, while the Conservatives opted to focus on the more general themes of change, arguing that the Liberals had shifted their focus from governing to being re-elected, and that, after 19 years, it was time to make a change in government. Despite Liberal attempts to make the economy the dominant focus of the campaign, the Conservative message found a receptive audience, and while Bernier's personal popularity would take a bit of a hit due to several gaffes on the campaign trail, it was not enough to put the Liberals back in the lead.

9c2yAPj.png

It surprised few, then, that Bernier's Conservatives were able to win a strong minority government of 137 seats. The Liberals came out with 92, while the Bloc came out with 44, a loss of only 5 despite Conservative gains in the province. The NDP suffered an embarrassment by losing 11 seats and Topp failing to win in the Quebec riding of Saint-Lambert (an attempt to make inroads in Quebec, which analysts generally noted to be an unrealistic and somewhat foolish campaign), while the Greens managed to pick up an additional seat by electing former BC Green leader Adriane Carr in Vancouver.

Four For Gore
US presidential elections of 2000 and 2004, and senate elections of 2002 and 2004
Canadian federal elections of 2004 and 2005
US presidential election of 2008, and senate elections of 2006 and 2008
Canadian federal election of 2010
US presidential election of 2012, and senate elections of 2010 and 2012

Last edited:
The NDP suffered an embarrassment by losing 11 seats and Topp failing to win in the Quebec riding of Saint-Lambert (an attempt to make inroads in Quebec, which analysts generally noted to be an unrealistic and somewhat foolish campaign)
Ha! :D

Anyway, great TL so far. Hope the Grits rebound and kick the Tories out in 2014. :p

Four For Gore

Once again, spectacular work. I'm beginning to see a trend with Prentice these days :):)p). Seriously, anyone would have been better than Mad Max. Well, my guess is that since a Liberal victory seems likely in 2014 (Don't ask me why), I'll go ahead and say it'll be another Conservative minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.