Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pisces

Banned
OK, here's a religion. It can broadly be said to be "my European answer to Archangel Michael's Columbianism" and is found in Dawn of a System: Nightfall.

It sounds like you're just copying directly from AM and changing some things to make it look like its original, but ok.

It sounds like you're just copying directly from AM and changing some things to make it look like its original, but ok.
I am not. I started work on this religion before I was aware of Columbianism.

I can go in the many differences between Columbianism and Safirism if you wish.

NothingNow

Banned
Her Majesty's Office of Sorcerous Affairs is the general Magical Law Enforcement and Regulatory Agency for the United Kingdom, being responsible for all aspects of Magical activity in the United Kingdom outside of Scotland, including permitting, storage of magical objects and protection of sites, along with counter-magical activities.

Indeed, unlike the much more proactive character of the Office of the Lord High Hermeticist in Scotland (which is responsible for some seventy percent of all sorcerers and alchemists in the United Kingdom,) the OSA is mostly focused on containing threats and protecting both the magical heritage of the United Kingdom and the general populace, and has a much more antiquarian feel about it, despite being several centuries younger, and much more modern organizationally. This focus is particularly notable with the Relics Commission, which is responsible for the protection of both the secure storage facility in Gwynedd (which stores most magical artifacts in the possession of HM Government,) and Glastonbury Tor.

Rhys Thomas is the 9th Director of the OSA, and is a career Bureaucrat without any real Sorcerous or Alchemical accomplishments to his name, something which suits the Home Office' goal for the organization.
gcHvpgP.png

Previously:
The Baroness Kelly.(Revised Ver.)
The Direction Générale des Affaires de Sorcellerie
James MacDonald, the 16th Lord High Hermeticist of Scotland
Ramzan Sadulayev, Alchemist and Magical Theorist

NothingNow

Banned
Big Mo and Hawkeye both appear as attractive young women in sailor dresses, and they've appeared in comics, cartoons, licensed advertising with Doctor Donut, body pillow covers, fragrances and even songs.
Kinda creepy, but I can roll with that. Do they have licensed figurines as well?

Their duet version of "In the Navy" reached #7 on the Billboard 100 chart in 2126 (it was re-released in 2133 on the Missouri's 75th anniversary and reached #13). They also appear frequently in recruiting and advertising for the Coast Guard. The Wisconsin's artificial intelligence Curly also had similar level of fame on Ganymede when she was in service.
Hooray for Idol pop!
But that is probably better advertising than "Join the Coast Guard, and you probably won't end up committing crimes against humanity!"

What sort of cooperation is there between all the international bodies? Like is there a magical INTERPOL?

They cooperate through INTERPOL for law enforcement actually, but collaboration beyond that is often primarily through professional associations and informal networks. There have been attempts to create more unified schemes for regulating magical activity, but with the US representatives screaming burn the witch and the Scots generally refusing to play ball, they generally go nowhere.

Kinda creepy, but I can roll with that. Do they have licensed figurines as well?

Of course they do. Figurines and action figures, which are quite popular and available in all sorts of styles, sizes, articulations and even outfits. All sorts of licensed merchandise, including clothing and video game tie-ins. Big Mo and Hawkeye are the faces of the Coast Guard. Which is really like 75% of why they're still around. Curly from the Wisconsin still appears in advertising and licensed merchandise, but there's been software issues with her recently.

Hooray for Idol pop!
But that is probably better advertising than "Join the Coast Guard, and you probably won't end up committing crimes against humanity!"

It's part of a three-pronged attack. Subliminal, liminal and superliminal.

They cooperate through INTERPOL for law enforcement actually, but collaboration beyond that is often primarily through professional associations and informal networks. There have been attempts to create more unified schemes for regulating magical activity, but with the US representatives screaming burn the witch and the Scots generally refusing to play ball, they generally go nowhere.

Oh, that sounds just fun and dysfunctional.

How many witches do the Americans burn?

NothingNow

Banned
Of course they do. Figurines and action figures, which are quite popular and available in all sorts of styles, sizes, articulations and even outfits. All sorts of licensed merchandise, including clothing and video game tie-ins. Big Mo and Hawkeye are the faces of the Coast Guard. Which is really like 75% of why they're still around. Curly from the Wisconsin still appears in advertising and licensed merchandise, but there's been software issues with her recently.
Cool. I'll have to keep that in mind for other things.

It's part of a three-pronged attack. Subliminal, liminal and superliminal.
Yep.

Oh, that sounds just fun and dysfunctional.

How many witches do the Americans burn?
Not too many. The Smart ones get the hell out before they do anything that could put them at risk of prosecution (because the US is incredibly strict about anything regarding magic.) South Africa actually burns more, but that's due to the whole thing about killing albinos and using them for magical components.
For instance, the Baroness Kelly came to Scotland to test the Sadulayev Process, because possession of a Homunculus in the US is a Class I felony, unlike literally everywhere else in the world.

I disagree this seems much more based on mortal human experience, and there is no mention of any European supremacism or any multifaceted angels.

I disagree this seems much more based on mortal human experience, and there is no mention of any European supremacism or any multifaceted angels.
Yeah, pretty much. There are angels in some interpretations of Safirism, but none in the core religion. And they lack the importance that angels do in Columbianism.

Last edited:

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
You are free to ask any questions about Safirism. I welcome them.

I'm curious as to when Safirism emerged, and also how widespread is it? Cos in AJND Archangel Michael implies that Columbianism is a major religion (like a third of Americans or something), particularly in the US.

I'm curious as to when Safirism emerged, and also how widespread is it? Cos in AJND Archangel Michael implies that Columbianism is a major religion (like a third of Americans or something), particularly in the US.

It emerges in the 2050s and slowly but surely picks up. Europeans by the 2050s were mostly agnostic, but a Great Awakening led to them turning to religion. Primarily spiritualist at first, but Safirism quickly filled that appetite by the 70s or so.

By 2120, Europe is roughly 45-50% Safirist and they're the dominant religion. In Africa, it's just 15%, in Asia 7%, Oceania 20%, South America 12% and North America just 3%.

Before I post my thought how smart are the AI exactly?

Modern artificial intelligences are very advanced and intelligent, being programmably sapient and exercising Three Law-compliant judgement (military AI Three Laws have been modified to read "American and allied personnel"). They can handle a large number of parallel processes at once, which is what makes them useful on larger warships that can put a lot of birds in the air at once (arsenal ships and carriers, namely). They're broadly analogous to Cortana and similar smart AIs from Halo, but without a built-in lifespan unless there's hardware malfunction.

It's a bit weird that Coast Guard mascots are covering "In the Navy". Is inter-service rivalry not a thing in AJND?

BTW, how did the Coast Guard manage to steal the Navy's thunder in the Outer System?

It's a bit weird that Coast Guard mascots are covering "In the Navy". Is inter-service rivalry not a thing in AJND?

BTW, how did the Coast Guard manage to steal the Navy's thunder in the Outer System?

There is an inter-service rivalry, but the Coast Guard (along with the Minutemen in general) tend not to consider the regular military to be rivals. The regular military (Army, Navy and Air Force) didn't really want to do much with frontier security back in the day because they were more focuses on the Inner System. So the task fell to what was then simple gendarmerie forces, the Minutemen and the Coast Guard. Overtime, the Minutemen and Coast Guard effectively became armed forces (along with their nominal policing roles). The vast majority of conscripts and recruits from the Inner System join the Armed Forces, while the vast majority from the Outer System join the Minutemen. So there's very little overlap there.

NothingNow

Banned
Ranjan Chaudhry is India’s most prolific modern serial killer, and is responsible for the most known human sacrifices by any singular individual in human history.
In order to prevent copy-cat crimes, Chaudhry’s MO and ritual designs have not been made public, nor are the transcripts of Chaudhry’s trial publicly available, but it is known that his murders, performed in batches of five for occult reasons, were attempts to draw the attention of and then invoke an Outside Intelligence, in contravention of international law, and Sorcerous custom.

Upon the failure of the tenth ritual due to an escaped sacrifice, the summoning failed and grounded, resulting in the contamination of approximately three square kilometers of the city and a lengthy cleanup, although proper containment practices on Chaudhry’s part prevented a more spectacular backlash, and any further fatalities. Chaudhry was then the target of a lengthy manhunt before being captured in Kolkata on August 16, 2001.
Jl3ldcJ.png

Previously in the Alrauneverse:
The Baroness Kelly.(Revised Ver.)
The Direction Générale des Affaires de Sorcellerie
James MacDonald, the 16th Lord High Hermeticist of Scotland
Ramzan Sadulayev, Alchemist and Magical Theorist
Her Majesty's Office of Sorcerous Affairs

NothingNow

Banned
Well that sounds all sorts of terrifying.

Was he trying to summon some sort of god or something?

I doubt you could really call an Outside Intelligence a god, given their usual indifference towards the continued existence of humanity. Certainly they are powerful, but god implies some sort of benevolent nature, which from a human perspective, the average OI obviously lacks. So the "or something" seems to fit it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.