Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asami

Banned
And now, with the colors fixed and stuff, ta-da! Now we're using the Dems=Red, GOP=Blue color palette, b/c that's what Wikipedia uses!

"The Sakuraverse" / The West Wing Integrates Into Our Timeline

The 2016 United States presidential election was a contentious one, with many candidates throwing themselves into the ring to seek election. The primaries consisted of Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Senator Bernie Sanders, Governor Martin O'Malley, among other minor candidates. A strange, yet admirable candidate was Former Deputy Chief of Staff Joshua Lyman. A liberal Democrat, he had strong liberal credentials during his time in the White House in the 1990s, and attracted voters from both Clinton and Sanders. While not considered a front-runner by any means, he managed to garner enough support from grassroots campaigns and Democrats who wanted to bring back the old Bartlett-era policies, and secured the nomination at the convention.

Despite Barack Obama's relatively successful two terms in office, there were growing concerns that Lyman would be bogged down by the Iran deal, which had narrowly made it through the Senate, as well as being bogged down by some of the lesser points of his time as Deputy Chief of Staff -- particularly questions regarding his fitness for office after being diagnosed with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in 1999 after being nearly killed by white supremacists, the debacle with marijuana legalization during the tenure of Milly Griffith as Surgeon General, and the Presidential Health Scandal that nearly cost Josiah Bartlett re-election in 2000.

Despite these concerns, Joshua Lyman secured his victory, in no small part thanks to his crack political team, his charming and well-adored wife, Donna Lyman, and the shining endorsement of former President Bartlett. With this victory, he would become the next President of the United States. Lyman was also noted for being one of the youngest Presidents of the United States, being elected at age 47 (he was born in 1969)

9v6ztos.png

Presidents of the United States
January 20, 2009 - January 20, 2017: Barack Obama (Democratic)
January 20, 2017 - ???: Joshua Lyman (Democratic)

Last edited:

Asami

Banned
I was really hoping you'd keep the two-year disparity; but oh well.

Nah, it's West Wing in our universe, not vice versa. The most commonly accepted POD for the reason why the US had elections in 1998/2002/2006/2010 instead of 96/00/04/08 will not happen.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Hail, Britannia

Following on from this.

The 2014 Missouri federal election was held on 12 August 2014 to elect 263 members to the House of Assembly of the 43rd Missourian Parliament. Despite opinion polls predicting a third consecutive plurality for the Progressive Conservatives, the Progressive-Farmer-Labor Party were able to become the largest party in the House, thanks in large part to voter disatisfaction with nearly 14 years of Conservative dominance and the perception that the PCP had "run out of steam".

The PFL successfully formed a majority coalition with the Liberals, and Amy Klobuchar, leader of the PFL, was sworn in as the 24th First Minister of Missouri on 14 August 2014.

itl8TXe.png

Hail, Britannia
UK SDP leadership spill, 2004 & leadership election, 2011

Last edited:
Following on from this.

The 2014 Missouri federal election was held on 12 August 2014 to elect 263 members to the House of Assembly of the 43rd Missourian Parliament. Despite opinion polls predicting a third consecutive plurality for the Progressive Conservatives, the Progressive-Farmer-Labor Party were able to become the largest party in the House, thanks in large part to voter disatisfaction with nearly 14 years of Conservative dominance and the perception that the PCP had "run out of steam".

The PFL successfully formed a majority coalition with the Liberals, and Amy Klobuchar, leader of the PFL, was sworn in as the 24th First Minister of Missouri on 14 August 2014.

Hail, Britannia
UK SDP leadership spill, 2004 & leadership election, 2013
Let me guess, Missouri is a "state" within a huge UK-Commonwealth?

Asami

Banned
What is the accepted POD?

Who are you asking, me or Leinad? I'm guessing me -- from what I can tell, the most common POD for the US electing with a 2 year discrepancy was the resignation of Richard Nixon. Since he resigned in 1974, some obscure legislative action changed the presidential elections to 74-78-82-86-90-94-98-02-06-10-14-18. That's the justification I've heard a lot of fans back when the show was on the air invented.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Excellent. I assume it doesn't include India, since there were no Indian person in your SDP election infobox.

Yeah no India.

Its just the British Isles, Malta, Gibraltar (+Spanish Morocco), Canada, USA (pre-Texas), Alaska, British West Indies, Puerto Rico, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Mauritius, Andaman-Nicobar, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand and Fiji. Plus a lot of overseas territories.

I tell a lie. ;)

nb1_zpswlg3bgpv.png

Leave my province alone! Had there been another week to that campaign the Tories would have won.

Following on from this.

Hail, Britannia

As always, your stuff is a work of perfection. Thank god I go to you for maps.

Hey, I would have been proven wrong in New Brunswick. You did say there wouldn't be a Green MLA. And there was one. :p

May I point out that not a single person was able to predict that. The only Green MLA in the legislature hasn't actually helped the party do anything number-wise. The NDP has taken most of the momentum, just not enough to go into first place.

Dominic Cardy is a joke. He lost something like three elections, resigned but then reversed his decision. The only reason he's not getting forced out is because of the NDP bump.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
As always, your stuff is a work of perfection. Thank god I go to you for maps.

Haha thanks :D

Here's a thank you, your Home Nation ITTL:

The Commonwealth of New England is a Constituent Country of the United Kingdom located along the northeastern seaboard of North America. It shares a land border with Columbia to the west and Canada to the north, as well as a maritime border with Newfoundland to the northeast. New England was formed in 1866 and was the seventh Dominion to be created as part of the colonial reorganisation within British America that would eventually lead to the 1876 Acts of Union, and the unification of the United Colonies of Britain-in-America with the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

qO6ABtP.png

Hail, Britannia
Missourian federal election, 2014

Last edited:
Hey guys. Rememer this one thing I said:

Sadly he will not be the first black Governor to be elected in our story. Poor guy. Maybe he should have ran as a Democrat instead?

Well a certain Southern state just elected her first first black Governor.

PhUz9EE.png

How you might ask? Read the update and find out. ;)

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
VT would have been proud to see that. Albeit it lacks the Newfoundland of his.

But Martha Coakley?! :eek:

Yeah Newfoundland has managed to stay separate of both Canada and New England till the present day, as they declined to join either of the confederation conferences taking place in the 1860s. Then they got Dominion status in 1907 (integration to the UK) and managed to avoid the worst of the OTL 1930s.

Haha, she was a compromise candidate when John Kerry resigned at the 2010 election to become UK Ambassador to Mexico. However she's been a pretty lacklustre First Minister and opinion polls put her on course to lose the upcoming November election to Peter MacKay's Conservatives. (Which should please CT :))

Last edited:

Asami

Banned
((And now, Sakura_F attempts to understand how primaries work! Since this is my universe and the political ramifications are long-reaching, irregularities from what you would expect in OTL are to be considered as just how this universe works. So quoth the author. There's also a slight booboo, I gave Lyman 21 states, not 22. Please ignore. >>))

Previously in the Sakuraverse:
United States presidential election, 2016

The 2016 Democratic Party primaries illustrated the general contention of the party between the party's far-left wing, liberal wing, and the "moderate" wing. The main contenders for the nomination were Joshua Lyman, former Deputy Chief of Staff (1997-2005, served under President Bartlett); Hillary Rodham Clinton, former Governor of New York and Secretary of State (2009-2013, served under President Obama); Bernie Sanders, a United States Senator from Vermont who is typically an Independent, but cast his candidacy as a Democrat; and Martin O'Malley, the liberal Governor of Maryland.

The 2016 Democratic primaries were the first time since 1952 that the Democratic Party's nomination went to a multiballot format at the DNC. Despite weaknesses at Super Tuesday and the primaries that followed, Bernie Sanders and Martin O'Malley both hung in and gained enough traction to hang the ballots.

After the first ballot (as seen below), Joshua Lyman had a plurality over Clinton, Sanders and O'Malley, with 1,839 delegates. After the first ballot, O'Malley gave a concession speech and openly endorsed Joshua Lyman, who gained all 524 of his delegates.

The second ballot was an overwhelming victory for Fmr. Deputy Chief of Staff Lyman, who secured the nomination with an overwhelming 2,363 delegates, to Clinton's 1,173 and Sanders' 882. This second defeat for Hillary Clinton signaled a damaging blow to her aspirations to become President of the United States, from which she would never recover. Bernie Sanders' defeat was a sad day for the internet grassroots campaign that had cultivated, but Sanders would remain a staunch ally of the President before his retirement at age 80, in 2021.

kMhfAQK.png

Last edited:
Yeah Newfoundland has managed to stay separate of both Canada and New England still the present day, as they to join either of the confederation conferences taking place in the 1860s. Then they got Dominion status in 1907 (integration to the UK) and managed to avoide the worst of the OTL 1930s.

Haha, she was a compromise candidate when John Kerry resigned at the 2010 election to become UK Ambassador to Mexico. However she's been a pretty lacklustre First Minister and opinion polls put her on course to lose the upcoming November election to Peter MacKay's Conservatives. (Which should please CT :))

MacKay? Good. GOOD! New England is always the most fun. The Liberals are fun and the Conservatives are moderates.

Status
Not open for further replies.