Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Request, could we get a little guide* for the AJND elections throughout the two thread? I was going to assemble one myself (as an apology for SHITTING ALL OVER THE SERIES) but I got bored and couldn't muster up the attention-span to do so. It's interesting to compare the dozen or more election series across various planets and over the years.

*I mean something like:

Cornucopia election 2137
Sagittarius Election 2133, 2135
Mermaid-prostitute planet
Kawaii Battleship girls #230-301

Request, could we get a little guide* for the AJND elections throughout the two thread? I was going to assemble one myself (as an apology for SHITTING ALL OVER THE SERIES) but I got bored and couldn't muster up the attention-span to do so. It's interesting to compare the dozen or more election series across various planets and over the years.

*I mean something like:

Cornucopia election 2137
Sagittarius Election 2133, 2135
Mermaid-prostitute planet
Kawaii Battleship girls #230-301

TB has already very helpfully compiled them onto the Wiki

Oh cool.

It's hard to believe this series is the longest running on the Infobox threads.

How it feels driving past those old posts

1SxTUSm.gif

Trying to do an infobox for the Melbourne Hawks. The Melbourne Hawks would've been an AFL team established in 1997 had the Melbourne-Hawthorn merger became successful.

How do I do an infobox for sports?!?

Just edit an infobox for an OTL team.

DrLRvr6.jpg

Ignacio Zuloaga, the skeptical of skepticals, served as Minister for the Interior in the last government during the reign of Rámos II of Mexico. It was well-known that the liberal "Citizens' Emperor" did not always see eye to eye with his Minister for the Interior, but he refrained from dismissing him, as he recognized Zuloaga as competent, and because he needed the support of the skeptical upper-middle class who considered Zuloaga the champion of their interests, as Rámon II always feared that the Mexican nobility would revolt against him as they had against his father.

Ironically, it would not be the reactionary noblemen, angry with the emperor's liberal reforms, that would be his fall, but the invasion of ███████ and the Mexican People's Revolution that would be his undoing. Perhaps because he definitely believed that the people were on his side, considering him their safeguard against the nobility and aristocracy, he always underestimated the threat of █████, and when the great army approached the imperial capital, Rámon II refused to flee, insisting on fighting the enemy on the battlefield as his father had done. Though Rámon II was a great political mind, a scholar and an orator, he was not the great military commander that his father had been. He died on the battlefield, and the enemy took Mexico City, stormed Chapultepec Castle, killed Crown Prince Simón and the rest of the Imperial Family in a gruesome bloodbath.

Zuloaga was the only one who had foreseen the threat, and for weeks he had urged the Emperor to flee the capital, only to be met with the reply that Rámon II had no intention to become a new Louis XVI. Though he was duty-bound to stay in the capital with the rest of the government, he was the only one to prepare a contingency plan if the imperial army fell. Working with the Confederate ambassador to Mexico, Peyton Stewart, and his secretary, Gustave Frederick Von Fersen, he had had a hot air balloon prepared for himself, and Zuloaga escaped by the airway as ████████ troops stormed the capital from north, south, east and west. Landing by night at Acapulco, he boarded a Nordic West India Company ship bound for Cuba disguised as a Zapotec, arriving a month later. Presenting himself before the Viceroy in Havana, as the only surviving member of the Imperial cabinet, he set up the exilic imperial Mexican government working out of Cuba for the rest of the █████ian War. After hosting the Havana Conference at the war's conclusion in 1867, he played a significant role in offering the crown to Prince Henri-Benoît of France, the second son of Louis XVII, who took the imperial throne as Enrique Benedicto I. Zuloaga was the natural choice as President of the Council for the reestablished empire, and founded the Imperialist Reactionary Party. Ironically, the Zuloaga administration would perform reforms far more radical than what Rámon II could have dreamt of, confiscating the estates and titles of more than half of Mexico's nobility - using as their excuse the fact that these had cooperated with the enemy - and performing the necessary modernization to make Mexico a powerhouse on the American continent by the early 20th century. Zuloaga was a Francophile in nature, but he was very keen to keep Mexico out of European conflicts, thus balancing Francophile policies with Anglophile ones. Thanks to the Zuloaga doctrine which his successors too followed, Mexico managed to stay neutral during the Sunset War.

A small thing for AJND. I'm finishing up U.S. Coast Guard ships, and only have LIFECOM cutters left to go. Here are the Mesa Verde-class amphibious transport dock (LPD) and the Dry Tortugas-class dock landing ship (LSD) which, along with the Valley Forge-class amphibious assault ships (LPH), form the backbone of the Coast Guard's amphibious and expeditionary warfare force.

The good ship big titties. God bless her, and all who sail in her.

Thande

Donor
I understand the Grand Tetons were named by French-speaking members of a North West Country fur trapping exploration party who were clearly missing their wives. Could be worse; before that apparently they were known as "The Pilot Knobs".

Last edited:

Nice, but Consejo President sounds a bit weird as a title. Usually a Presidente del Consejo (de Ministros) (and French and Italian equivalents) are just translate as Prime Ministers into English, despite that, really cool. You don't see Spanish America stuff everyday.

That and, was this President a former priest? Otherwise I don't get why he'd study in a seminary.

Nice, but Consejo President sounds a bit weird as a title. Usually a Presidente del Consejo (de Ministros) (and French and Italian equivalents) are just translate as Prime Ministers into English, despite that, really cool. You don't see Spanish America stuff everyday.

That and, was this President a former priest? Otherwise I don't get why he'd study in a seminary.

My basic idea is that he studied to become a priest, but elected to become a lawyer instead. I haven't really thought that much about his backstory, and all of Mexican history 1820-1850 is a bit blurry to me. Vicente Guerrero's ATL-brother Rámon Guerrero takes the lead in the Mexican fight for independence and becomes the first Mexican emperor in this timeline. He manages to hold out a little longer than Agustin Iturbide, but by about the 1830s, he is killed in a palace coup, and his wife and son just manages to escape to the United States. Then there's supposed to be some turmoil, and Texas and California becomes independent at some points, but for some reason (I haven't figured it out yet :p:eek:), the monarchy is restored at around 1848, with a sense of "well, everything we've tried since we deposed Rámon I has failed, so we might as well just offer the crown to his son instead", and Rámon II accepts it and governs along fairly liberal lines. I don't really know much about Zuloaga other than that in 1848-ish, he was generally considered a skeptical (read conservative), but he supported a return of the monarchy nonetheless, and somehow managed to advance to become a cabinet minister at the time of the outbreak of the █████ian War.

I don't really know much (if indeed anything!) about Spanish-American stuff, so if you'd be up for a PM-session giving me tips and suggestions on this particular part of the story, I'd be honoured. You'd get to fins out what the █████ in the █████ian War is for. ;)

As for the title, thanks for the knowledge. I'll just go with Prime Minister then. :)

The best baseball player in Confederate history, Ty Cobb was the nightmare for Dixie pitchers throughout his career and is perhaps the greatest batter in baseball history. Sadly, Cobb retired nearly two decades before Confederate players were allowed to play in Major League Baseball and so he had to play in the Confederate League, meaning he rarely went up against pitchers of major-league quality.

Cobb's utter dominance (including a career .425 batting average, 4,863 career hits, 2,500 runs batted in and almost 3,000 runs) over southern pitching has long led him to be considered the greatest player to never play in Major League Baseball and many a baseball fan has wondered "What if the 'Georgia Peach' had been able to suit up for the Yankees, Tigers or Red Sox?".

cobbcl.png

cobbcl.png

This is the infobox and story of Miela IV, the "Little Empress".

Born in poverty and losing her parents to a house fire when she was barely 4, she is known to have had labored in harsh conditions (the pre-Unification period was not good for the working class at all) at such a young age (Maladul had no laws against child labor). She first saw the Man in Dark Robes when she was 6. A foreman with pedophilic tendencies tried to take advantage of her, but faced the Man in Dark Robes instead, who told him in a harsh, clacking voice "Miela is not to be touched. If you try, your throat will be ripped out." This experience, along with the rest of her working-class background, influenced her personality greatly.

The Man in Dark Robes continued to shadow Miela as she continued to labor in still harsh conditions, and "learn her place" as a lower-class person (although that particular foreman died in mysterious circumstances and she was never molested). Eventually, she lost one of her fingers to a mill and was told off by the foreman for "wasting our time" and "making work slower" due to her finger making the mill stick.

She was living in Maladul, a country known for its low standards of labor and for often enslaving people and bringing them over. Miela's closest friend was a slave, Arnoud Rutte. Rutte's life up to that point was nothing else but being in chains as soon as he was old enough to walk.

Within the same region, the Imperial Conference was held. It was an assembly of splendour, of fine food, fine wine and fine conversation about the future of the continent and the restoration of the Safirian Empire. As the conversation turned to the old Empire, someone said "would it be grand if we could find Pacjo IX's descendant and crown them?" Nikki Rosenberg, Professor at Paradizio University, took this as a cue to call in one of the Men in Dark Robes and told him to bring her in. All Nikki knew was that the Men in Dark Robes knew where the rightful heir was and that she was female.

A Man in Dark Robes appeared as the foreman was berating Miela, shot him in the face and told Miela in a soothing voice "Come with me."

Miela chose to go with the Man in Dark Robes. They arrived in a somewhat quiet building, where servants were unusually kind. They bandaged Miela's finger-wound (where she lost a finger), washed her and got her in somewhat decent clothing.

The Man in Dark Robes then took her through an annexe and through some cornerways, crossing some streets, before arriving to the big room the Imperial Conference was held in. Miraculously, the conversation was turning back to an idea of a heir.

"The rightful heir to the Silent Emperor must sit upon the Sapphire Throne. No one else. The Purple Bloodline must have survived somehow." declared Patrician Recep Demirci of Maladul. At this point the Man in Dark Robes entered the room, bringing Miela in.

*check the type up I did about this earlier here.*

Her friendship with the slave Arnoud Rutte made her back the war against the slave-holding South. Maladul itself thankfully abolished slavery (it was on its way out, albeit not without troubles). However, it did so in a sleazy way, it sold most of its slaves, including Arnoud, down south to more independent-thinking slaver republics.

It took until 1925 for Miela and Arnoud to see each other. Arnoud was now just a liberated slave and Miela the Empress of the Great and Bountiful Safirian Empire. The class difference was immense. But the background wasn't. Miela declared that Arnoud should be granted a title somehow, but Arnoud refused.

Over time, the two became closer, and eventually fell in love and got married in 1930. They had children, many of them.

Miela unfortunately died in 1957, only in her forties. Arnoud lasted only a year more. Their short lives is because of the harsh conditions of their childhoods.

Thanks to Miela's influence and the growth of Populism, Safiria by her death was a far better place than when she was born.

By her death, she was no longer the "Little Empress", but the "People's Empress". And it remains an open secret that she got on better with Populist presidents than Coronalist ones. Nikki Rosenberg, her sole Federalist one, was on cordial terms with her.

Miela.PNG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.