Alternate Weapons of War thread...

Borodino.gif

A Modernized Borodino class Battlecruiser

United Nations Standard Destroyer.png

My attempt at making a modern/near-future warship (DDG). Is technically my second draft for it. Its powered by a Fusion reactor and its main gun turret houses a coil-gun. Also has VLS and turreted missiles. Also has mini-guns for point defense and a Helipad. Mostly based it on several modern DDGs, looking at their Shipbucket drawings as inspiration. Idk I tried something.

View attachment 520661
My attempt at making a modern/near-future warship (DDG). Is technically my second draft for it. Its powered by a Fusion reactor and its main gun turret houses a coil-gun. Also has VLS and turreted missiles. Also has mini-guns for point defense and a Helipad. Mostly based it on several modern DDGs, looking at their Shipbucket drawings as inspiration. Idk I tried something.

United Nations Standard Destroyer.png

Partial redesign based on criticism in the graphic thread.

View attachment 483587
Here is my first (poor) attempt to draw a vehicle in an electronic medium. As in I first drew this ship physically. I kind of tried to make it scaled here but don't think it really worked. It is supposed to be a soft sci-fi spaceship.
I tried to use the colours to show what is closer or farther from the viewer (darker means farther away).
As for technical details this is the Pawn-class Frigate which is circa 100 meters long and has a crew of around 50 people with 10 Marines also on-board. Its main armament are 10 torpedo tubes (5 seen), the ship carries 120 torpedoes. Another main weapon is the 10m long 50cm in diameter triple coilgun turret (which is technically a cruiser armament). There are also 10 dorsal and 8 ventral point defence laser turrets (only half seen). Oh and also its supposed to have wings (thats what that lighter coloured thing in the middle is supposed to be). P-247 happens to be the name of this particular ship.
View attachment 483747
View attachment 483748
Side and Top views of a Knight-Class Destroyer, from the same fleet as the Pawn-class Frigate. It is 250m long and crewed by 200 people, has 40 Marines with 2 AFVs (either Dingo APC or Coyote IFV). Its main weapon is a 100m long and 1m in diameter spinal railgun. There are 9 5m long 30cm in diameter double coilgun turrets. there are 10 laser point defense turrets and 6 torpedo tubes. 60 torpedoes are stored on-board. There are 8 orbital drop-pods (carry 5 marines in power armour) and 2 vehicle drop-pods (each able to carry one AFV, with the APC comfortably carrying 20 men or 10 marines in armour). A hangar carrying a squadron of strike-craft has been removed from the original drawing. Lancelot is the name of this particular ship. Also the Pawn had the number of torpedo tubes raised from 6 to 10 when compared to the original drawing.

Edit: just realised that I drew drop-pods than there was supposed to be. Please imagine seeing one less drop-pod in the image.
New Edit: actually don't do that, just got to change the writing. And just changed it.
View attachment 484019
The Bishop-class Cruiser, whose weapons, drop-pods and point defences were heavily increased from the first version (physical drawing) while torpedoes were removed. It is ~500m long with ~500 crew-members. Also carrying 100 Marines and 4 armoured vehicles (according to general regulations, one Wolf Tank and 3 Dingo APCs or Coyote IFVs). 12 drop-pods and 4 vehicle drop-pods. Its main weapon is a 200m long and 2m in diameter spinal railgun. Has 6 triple coilgun turrets on center-line and 4 of the same turrets on the sides of the superstructure. The Coilgun turrets are the same as the one in the Pawn-class Frigates (10m long and 50cm in diameter barrels). 15 center-line laser point-defense turrets and 18 laser point-defense turrets divided equally on the sides of the superstructure. A Hangar holding 3 squadron strike-craft is also included. I have no design for Battleship or Carrier yet, despite having plans to create them.

A continuation to these posts.
Rook-class Battleship.png

A Rook-class Battleship. (I realized that I was making the hull lines too thick too late so it stayed like that.) Its ~1000 meters long with two 400m long 4m diameter spinal railguns, no torpedoes, ~700 crew, 300 marines, 40 laser point-defense turrets (might add a few more on the "wings"), 26 double gun coilgun turrets (20m long and 1m diameter barrels). 9 of those turrets are on each of the "wings", while 8 of them are centerline. Not counting the bridge-superstructure the ship has a cross-like shape when viewed from the front. Btw I am unsure of what to use the free space in the ventral stern. I am divided over 2 more turrets, a strike-craft hangar or drop-pods.

In addition the naming scheme is as follow:
Due to all these classes being designed and built to be used together and to standardize the navy they all share the theme of being named after chess pieces.
Frigates are the Pawn class and get a designation of P followed by three numbers (therefore the 500th Pawn built would be P-500). There was a proposal to name them after fallen servicemen in the past but it was rejected due to the negative connotations of the word Pawn.
Destroyers are the Knight class and are named after great famed warriors (legendary or historical). The namesakes need not be knights as samurai, Ancient Greek heroes, heroic soldiers from more modern wars, etc are all used. (maybe Generals too)
Cruisers are Bishop class and are named after historical men and woman of faith. This includes bishops, cardinals, popes, Saints, Orthodox patriarchs, Biblical Jewish prophets, Muslim Caliphs, Imams, Buddhist Monks, etc.
Battleships are Rook class and are named after castles, palaces and fortifications.
Carriers are Queen class and named after historical Queens and Empresses or other politically important women.
Not sure about the King piece. Either Emperors, Kings and other men of political importance can be added into carrier or used for star-bases/orbital defenses. Or maybe create a new Rook class heavy cruiser (designating Bishop as a light cruiser) while making the Queen and King as Carrier and Battleship classes (not completely sure if respectively or vice versa). If anybody has a good idea for it feel free.

Not really an alternate weapon of war, but the Frommer Automatic Rifle, an extremely obscure and mysterious Austro-Hungarian weapon designed around 1910. There are only 2 public domain images of it, one of which is at an angle and other partially disassembled, which I tried to trace, adapt and transform into a coherent side-view of it. (I think I also used a pic of a Fedorov Avtomat [again in PD] but very little of it appeared in the final image) Hopefully some alt-hist variations will be posted in the coming days.

EDIT: Added bipod

LQ74UCL.png

Last edited:
Carbine variant. I envision this carbine (maybe the Rifle could be designated Maschinengewehr m10, and the carbine below as the Maschinenkarabiner m10?) as being an infantry weapon, with the Frommer Automatic Rifle being a squad automatic weapon akin to the BAR (for the Honved, anyway, the Common Army and the German Landwehr would likely use something different altogether...)

tvXuX9l.png

Last edited:
Some Modernized Imperial Japanese Navy Cruisers from the 1960s for TL-191

Tone_1963.gif

Tone class Missile Cruisers
Mogami_1963.gif

Mogami class Helicopter Cruisers
Maya_1963.gif

Takao class Gun Cruiser
Suzuya_1963.gif

Suzuya class Gun Cruiser

A newcommer here, I made this. Some sort of predecessor to the modern anti-tank rifle from an AU RP on NationStates.

Breechloader2.png

Single-shot bolt-action, comes with the bipod. Under no circumstances should one attempt to fire this standing, for their shoulder will disintegrate on a molecular level.

ddrr3fs-59086b8c-d3ad-4354-8cf0-c42819888b44.png

View of the Texacoran coastal defense line at Port Wagner from the communications trench position of Company E, 7th Heartland Militia Regiment (The Apache Fusiliers), Hudson's Independent Militia Brigade. In the foreground from right to left stand a brevet first lieutenant, a corporal, and three privates of the Apache Fusiliers.

An outlying redoubt of Fort Meridian, the key to the northern flank of this salient in the line, is visible in the background, along with several 406mm Nova Pattern coastal defense guns of Battery Veracruz, 28th Heavy Artillery, provisionally attached to Hudson's Independent Militia Brigade.

In armaments, the Texacoran militiaman also presents a contrast from his regular counterpart. Nearly all militiamen are armed with the Pattern '53 Port Faulkner rifle-musket, a weapon that is no longer in service with any regular regiments. Even hereditary officers, who in regular regimental service are often seen brandishing ancient auto-carbines and compact particle-beam rifles of pre-Collapse vintage or bespoke luxury revolvers of modern manufacture, are armed with the plain and unsophisticated Pattern '53 rifle-musket when serving in the militia, as the second and third sons and daughters of the hereditary officer corps are unlikely to inherit prized family heirlooms. In militia service, the Pattern '53, a single-shot, anti-personnel breechloader, has been retrofitted in recent years with a breechblock conversion that enables the weapon to fire modern muzzle-loaded, hyper-velocity, armor-piercing slugs, granting the militiaman a degree of anti-armor/anti-fleet capability. However, as the Pattern '53's basic breech mechanism and barrel were never designed to withstand the immense pressures and temperatures inherent to modern hyper-velocity musketry, accuracy and penetration with modern armor-piercing slugs is suboptimal compared to the performance provided by the updated Pattern '57 rifle, while the lifespan of the older Pattern '53 when employed in the capacity of modern hyper-velocity musketry is correspondingly worse. Indeed, each season, militiamen are only permitted to fire a handful of hyper-velocity rounds from their older Pattern '53s on the practice range for fear of subjecting the rifles to a catastrophic failure during the heat of combat.

In addition, the militiaman's choice of cold steel is similarly dated. The Pattern '53 rifle is only compatible with the older Model A-series of spike-socket bayonet. Shorter and less useful both in and out of combat than the Texacoran regular's modern sword-socket bayonet, the older pattern of bayonet has almost certainly never seen combat action since the last War Between the Fleets. About the only good thing that can be said of the older bayonet in comparison to its modern counterpart is that it weighs slightly less and is thus less likely to interfere with the already dubious offhand marksmanship of the average militiaman when it is clipped to the muzzle of his rifle. Even the steel alloy of the older bayonet is inferior to that of the modern sword-socket bayonet, to the extent that militiamen are discouraged from using it as a skewer for roasting their field rations for fear of weakening the already brittle steel by prolonged exposure to the heat of a flame.

The last visible difference between the Texacoran militiaman and his regular counterpart lies in the absence of the iconic mameluke saber among the ranks of the former's officers. The famous curved saber is a revered symbol of the Texacoran hereditary officer corps, and is issued to every graduate of the Texacoran War College to commemorate the ancient ICA Aerospace Marine tradition from which the aristocracy of the Texacoran nation claims descent. However, as a concession to the democratic and egalitarian sensibilities of the Texacoran enlisted yeomanry, militia officers are prohibited from wearing the saber as a badge of rank and must content themselves with the ancient Eagle, Globe, and Anchor emblem as their only visible token of aristocratic descent.