Alternate warships of nations

Weirdly enough, I was looking at Lord Nelson a while ago and...
View attachment 561662
It's not that far off, in terms of looks at least.

That is a great model. First time I've had a good look at a Lord Nelson. They are Dreadnaught's forgotten cousins. I didn't know the center 9.2" gun turret was a single, nor that there were no hull-mounted guns.

Looking at the model, an ATL design would replace the 9.2" battery with four single 12" gun turrets. Or go crazy and replace the 12" and 9.2" guns one for one with 10" guns. Eventually dual-purpose turrets (4.5" or 5.25") replace all but the two main turrets. :)

That is a great model. First time I've had a good look at a Lord Nelson. They are Dreadnaught's forgotten cousins. I didn't know the center 9.2" gun turret was a single, nor that there were no hull-mounted guns.

Looking at the model, an ATL design would replace the 9.2" battery with four single 12" gun turrets. Or go crazy and replace the 12" and 9.2" guns one for one with 10" guns. Eventually dual-purpose turrets (4.5" or 5.25") replace all but the two main turrets. :)
Yeah, either go full big gun or down to something akin to 6 or 7.5s.
Dreadnought Lord Nelsons would certainly be an interesting design, though made obsolete very rapidly.

Here's another one, in a crazy alternate timeline where the state of Oregon not only returns their museum battleship, but Admiral King decides to take the old ship in hand for a proper rebuild.

original drawing by Darth Panda
View attachment 562801
That is funny! A bathtub toy maybe? Or a design for a USN monitor? Is the main turret too close to the superstructure? It looks to me like there isn't enough clearance to move the turret to either side beyond a few degrees. I actually do like the design as a monitor.

Reminds me of Admiral Furashita's ATL rebuild of the Greek/American predreadnaughts. http://www.combinedfleet.com/furashita/rhodei_f.htm

That is funny! A bathtub toy maybe? Or a design for a USN monitor? Is the main turret too close to the superstructure? It looks to me like there isn't enough clearance to move the turret to either side beyond a few degrees. I actually do like the design as a monitor.

Reminds me of Admiral Furashita's ATL rebuild of the Greek/American predreadnaughts. http://www.combinedfleet.com/furashita/rhodei_f.htm
I had not set out to do it, but yes she's a monitor now.

I had not set out to do it, but yes she's a monitor now.
What is the small turret above the main battery turret? I recognize the 20mm guns and the 40mm mount aft. Are the small turrets 40mm guns as well?

I like that drawing. That USS Oregon deserves to be in a story. An emergency reconstruction, or an ISOT, or an ATL where the USN has elderly predreadnaughts survive into the late 1930s, something like that.

There were alternatives

Lord_Nelson_Alternative.jpg

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor

Wasn't that pretty much what the IJN did with the Satsuma & Aki (10" secondary") and the Settsu & Kawachi all 12")?

I was thinking about the whole USN torpedo situation leading up to WW2, and it just feels extremely ironic that the USN demanded more freakin torpedoes on about every DD class in the thirties (8 on the Farragut wasn’t enough, need 12 on the Mahans, not good enough, let’s go 16 on the Benhams(what the actual hell), okay maybe bigger broadsides are better so let’s go back to 10) jump to ‘42 BuOrd the hell you mean our destroyers’ designed main armaments (When compared to number of guns) doesn’t work?!

McPherson

Banned
I was thinking about the whole USN torpedo situation leading up to WW2, and it just feels extremely ironic that the USN demanded more freakin torpedoes on about every DD class in the thirties (8 on the Farragut wasn’t enough, need 12 on the Mahans, not good enough, let’s go 16 on the Benhams(what the actual hell), okay maybe bigger broadsides are better so let’s go back to 10) jump to ‘42 BuOrd the hell you mean our destroyers’ designed main armaments (When compared to number of guns) doesn’t work?!

From another thread.

Sometimes, one looks at a situation and one sees that there are 'factors" which blind decision makers to the obvious. EXAMPLE? Meeting budget goals for your particular department, so you want another department to pay for a process or an action that 'might" put you over your target end of year goal and make you look bad at the end of the fiscal year when you are audited.

Let us say you are a rear admiral of the United States navy and you come in and your torpedo arsenal comes to you because you are Bu-ord actual and they want to test a new torpedo they developed.

Rear Admiral Harold Rainsford Stark, 1934–1937

but when you ask your colleague at Bu-ships,

Rear Admiral Emory S. Land ,1933-1937

to borrow an obsolete cruiser or two as a test target, He wants you to pay for the scrap value for the loss of the cruisers so it does not impact HIS bureau's budget. The money is there for weapon proof spending in the overall navy budget, but someone has to spend it for purpose by the bureau, and whoever spends it will not look as good at the end of the fiscal year to Congress when he presents how much he saved the American taxpayers by his "astute management" of the taxpayers' money to Congress as the other bureau chiefs. So both admirals lock horns and fight over who eats the weenie and looks "bad", and after the fight they compromise on a submarine and 1 test series of 2 war-shots on that goddamned torpedo.

50% failure rate in the weapon, but both admirals "look good" on paper to Congress, when budget time rolls around and the bureaus' books are audited.

Who cares about the torpedo?

Now apply THAT over to the US Army and its bureaus and commands DOWN TO THE PRESENT.

You think that Rear Admiral Land might have smelled a rat?

Last edited:
I've been considering what Inflexible would look and indeed be designed like if it had been more akin to an up scaled Devastation or Dreadnought.
Let's say the navy develops something of a Devastation craze, the obvious benefits of such good firing arcs outweighing the hold to sail, which was done away with in battleships by Ajax anyway, rendering that class and the Colossus class somewhat unnecessarily tied to the echelon arrangement.
What would Inflexible look like? Would the armoured box method be best to pursue?

Ok... no tonnage limit? So someone can enter 50-60,000t ships or worse?
You in theory could. But given this is the South American Naval Arms race, I think Drach will simply laugh his ass off or do what he did in this video which IMO is always worth the laugh. Skip ahead to about minute 51 to see what I'm talking about.