Alternate super-heros/comics

I'm sure this has been done before but I just had a thought, what would comic books be like in a CSA time line or a Nazi victory TL or a Yiddish speaking US? so I thought I'd make a thread for people to post alt comicbook stuff, so post ideas, stories, artwork, whatever else, and if their is a thread just like this active some where I'm sorry :eek::p

The Nazis would probably like the super-hero concept. An ATL CSA would have in all likelihood a very different set of comics. Depending on whether or not someone like Wertham would have influence or not, a CSA TL could easily see comic genres like romance, Westerns, or horror taking precedence over superheroes. The major sci-fi genre might not be superheroes, influenced by pulp stories, but sword and sorcery or space opera.

In Nazi victory TLs superheroes would have elements of Ditko-style superheroes fighting for truth, justice, and the Aryan Way.

In Nazi victory TLs superheroes would have elements of Ditko-style superheroes fighting for truth, justice, and the Aryan Way.

if we go for the full ASB Nazi victory to the point of taking over the US, would superheros like Superman and Batman be around in the Nazi puppet US and what would they become? would heroes like Wonder Woman make it?

Valdemar II

Banned
I'm sure this has been done before but I just had a thought, what would comic books be like in a CSA time line or a Nazi victory TL or a Yiddish speaking US? so I thought I'd make a thread for people to post alt comicbook stuff, so post ideas, stories, artwork, whatever else, and if their is a thread just like this active some where I'm sorry :eek::p

Superheroes is almost a singular American phenomena, European comics have always been dominated by SF, fantasy, history and detective stories. The closest Europe come to a large scale superhero, is the Italian made disney comics, where Donald Duck have a alter ego "duck avenger", who is a kind of disney-style batman. The problem is that European comics to large degree is split between two niches immature comics toward the children, low comedy to all ages and a intellectual border crossing comics to adults. Only a few focus on the the group between these extremes. As such there was no natural environment for superhero comics to evolve. Especially because the smaller number of speakers of the different European languages ensured that nicher was a lot smaller. In fact it's no accident that UK with the same language as USA was the only European which really seemed to try developing superhero comics.

Of course in a Weimar survives timeline that's going to be different, in that world there will be over 120 million native German speakers with first world living standard, and almost the same with German as second language, in no WWI world the number of German speakers will be even bigger. As such they have the size that small niches can pay.

if we go for the full ASB Nazi victory to the point of taking over the US, would superheros like Superman and Batman be around in the Nazi puppet US and what would they become? would heroes like Wonder Woman make it?

Wonder Woman? No. The USA would be made to accept Hitler's "Germanic" culture which has no room for a character like Wonder Woman. If anything US comics may emphasize Westerns given Hitler liked them, which means future Reichs Ministry of Culture leaders would probably be inclined to inspect them less.

Wonder Woman? No. The USA would be made to accept Hitler's "Germanic" culture which has no room for a character like Wonder Woman. If anything US comics may emphasize Westerns given Hitler liked them, which means future Reichs Ministry of Culture leaders would probably be inclined to inspect them less.

Probably the only change made to Superman is he's given blonde hair and blue eyes.:rolleyes:
And Krypton was actually the secret homeworld of the "pure Aryan".:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't think that Batman would work in a Nazi-dominated TL, since he acts as an extralegal vigilante; unlike in the United States or Britain or wherever, there would be very little room for the sort of political self-criticism inherent in the Batman comics. Batman is tolerable from a moral standpoint because the civil authorities in Gotham City have ceded their authority to deal with crime to Batman through the systemic corruption pervasive in Gotham. I can't imagine the Nazis allowing such a portrayal of a government, even a municipal government, to be published. If there was a Batman-like character, he would probably be portrayed more like a KKK member, terrorizing Jews and other minorities by night. Same for a South-wins TL.

I don't know, couldn't you just alter her mythological origin a tad? Give Wonder Woman more of a Norse influence?

On that note, I think they'd end up trumping Aquaman into their big hero in a Nazi Victory timeline. He was from Atlantis, and didn't the Nazis determine that was the origin of the Aryan race? Something about Atlantis, then traveling through India and eventually to Europe?

Hm... Aquaman and Sun Ko battling over the throne of Atlantis...

Farriday

Banned
Heroes like the X-Men, in a Reich-dominated world, obviously wouldn't exist. Any deviation from the Aryan ideal, especially by natural means, would not be tolerated.

Perhaps the X-Men could come as a result as some sort of Nazi experiment, but not by evolutionary means.

Well, a lot of comic book writers and artists in the 40s were Jewish, so if we were in a Yiddish speaking America, the only thing that would likely change, would be the language.

Probably the only change made to Superman is he's given blonde hair and blue eyes.:rolleyes:
And Krypton was actually the secret homeworld of the "pure Aryan".:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I suspect Superman gets tossed out completely in a Nazi-victory TL; Superman was created by two Jewish guys, after all.

Now, you could end up with blatant Aryanized rip-off that's obviously intended to replace him: Übermensch, the most genetically pure example of ancient Aryan race or some such. :rolleyes:

I suspect Superman gets tossed out completely in a Nazi-victory TL; Superman was created by two Jewish guys, after all.

Now, you could end up with blatant Aryanized rip-off that's obviously intended to replace him: Übermensch, the most genetically pure example of ancient Aryan race or some such. :rolleyes:
Disney Comics would get a HUGE boost, considering Hitler was a fan. That would probably overtake the Superhero genre. Although I could see the Captain Marvel villain Captain Nazi being retooled in a Nazi USA.

Heroes like the X-Men, in a Reich-dominated world, obviously wouldn't exist. Any deviation from the Aryan ideal, especially by natural means, would not be tolerated.

Perhaps the X-Men could come as a result as some sort of Nazi experiment, but not by evolutionary means.

Actually, it could be closer to the OTL X-Men than you'd think. Genetically superior beings, the next step in evolution, "Homo superior"? No problem for the Nazis as is. But the more primitive strains of humanity are trying to stop evolution and prevent the mutants from seizing their birthright, because of their jealousy and fear of their betters--just give Professor X an attitude more like Magneto's in OTL. (They'd use the all-white original line-up, of course.)

The basic X-Men theme of a geneticly superior minority being oppressed by the prejudice of a genetically inferior majority wouldn't need that much tweaking to fit with Nazi propaganda; just emphasize the "genetically superior" part a bit more, and the "minority" part a bit less.

I wouldn't be so sure. One of the Captains is a black woman pregnant with the other's child. I wouldn't think a Confederate-leaning publishing company would be holding such an individual as a "hero" to Confederate youth.

No, but it does show how heroes might develop in an alternate world. The Union and Confederacy have Operation Rebirth type projects. Texas and Japan have their cybernetic based programs etc... That could give us an idea of what people might write about in a world in which there are no super heroes, but the world is fundamentally different.

Torqumada

Nietzsche

Banned

I would kill for a Red-Son style take on a true Nazi Superman. Not a Superman-ish asshole, but, say he landed in Bavaria instead of Kansas..

Best part is that we get to keep the S on his chest. Well, maybe more than one S, if you catch my drift..

Batman...hm. Batman would also, I think, be a good Waffen-SS agent. What's scarier than Batman? Batman without his sense of morals. Have fun sleeping tonight.

I would kill for a Red-Son style take on a true Nazi Superman. Not a Superman-ish asshole, but, say he landed in Bavaria instead of Kansas..

Best part is that we get to keep the S on his chest. Well, maybe more than one S, if you catch my drift..

Didn't Kim Newman write a story like that?
he battles the likes of Rotwang, Caligari and other Expressionist Villains.