Alternate SS Divisions

SS Division "San Zu" made up of Chinese volunteers.....
The big question here is whether they would get more Nationalist or Communist volunteers?

- Ivan.

SS Division "San Zu" made up of Chinese volunteers.....
The big question here is whether they would get more Nationalist or Communist volunteers?

- Ivan.

Probably the Kuomintang (there was lots of Chinese-German cooperation for a while). Considering Nazi ideology I suspect it'd be called "Qin Shi Huangdi" or "Tsao Tsao".

What about an "SS Division Yamato" consisting of Japanese volunteers? I'm sure they'd be able to fight somewhere, although I may have read somewhere that when the Allied forces invaded Normandy, they may have captured some Korean soldiers wearing German uniform. Of course, these Korean soldiers were pressganged into German service while fighting for the Red Army. How about an SS Division Hanguk/Joseon/Gouryeo?

RousseauX

Donor
Soldiers of Anglo-Saxon stock are one thing, but the actual countries were seen as 'people without space' because the population density was too small (why this mattered so much to the Nazis shows how logical their world view was :rolleyes:) and because they were too liberal and 'Americanised'. Hitler thought that Canadians were just steps away from being annexed by the US, and that they would welcome it. He didn't even seem to know that New Zealand had a white population or even a human one (he said that the people their 'still lived in trees').
Hitler thought Americans were barbarians too: something about how Germany has so many opera houses and America has decadent culture or w/e

You know what we've been forgetting?!?

Freiwilligen SS Division "Robert E. Lee" (CSA volunteers)
Freiwilligen SS Division "Stonewall Jackson" (CSA volunteers)
Freiwilligen SS Panzer-Grenadier Division "Nathan Bedford Forrest" (CSA volunteers)

:p

What about an "SS Division Yamato" consisting of Japanese volunteers? I'm sure they'd be able to fight somewhere, although I may have read somewhere that when the Allied forces invaded Normandy, they may have captured some Korean soldiers wearing German uniform. Of course, these Korean soldiers were pressganged into German service while fighting for the Red Army. How about an SS Division Hanguk/Joseon/Gouryeo?

For a Japanese SS division, how about "Noboru taiyō"?

Why wouldn't Japanese personnel be left for Japan's own forces, given that the two countries were allied to each other at that time?

I think a Pan-Asian imitation of the SS would be more likely, considering a Cold War is likely in an Axis victory scenario.

Why wouldn't Japanese personnel be left for Japan's own forces, given that the two countries were allied to each other at that time?

Well, I imagine if the US had gone after Japan first, perhaps if Germany and Italy don't declare war on the US (or any other POD/circumstance), there would be quite a few Japanese soldiers that would want to fight for a winning power. Of course, such an event would almost certainly require the Germans to defeat the Soviet Union which opens up a whole 'nother can of worms.

The Japanese did have its own version of the SS in the form of the Gyugun, although I know a bit about a Filipino volunteer corps that fought for the Japanese, called the Makapili. On the other hand, there is a reason why there were only a few Asian volunteers in the SS, and that is probably because they were a part of a country that is occupied by the Germans (ie: the Netherlands and the Indonesian volunteer)

You know what we've been forgetting?!?

Freiwilligen SS Division "Robert E. Lee" (CSA volunteers)
Freiwilligen SS Division "Stonewall Jackson" (CSA volunteers)
Freiwilligen SS Panzer-Grenadier Division "Nathan Bedford Forrest" (CSA volunteers)

:p

Been playing Mississippi Banzai?

A unit from the game is the SS Nightrider (KKK) Legion

If the Third Reich had managed to survive World War II what are some SS divisions that could have resulted?

Random ideas:

SS Division Saladin-Recruited mainly from Kurds who as Indo-Europeans were considered "Aryans".
SS Division Genghis Khan-Recruited from various anti-Soviet Mongolians and other Central Asians

The Waffen-SS is what your looking for, they were the ones who really put together the foreign brigades. But as to Asiatic, I don't see the Germans getting involved in East Asia if they manage to survive WW2, which is almost impossible.

The Waffen-SS is what your looking for, they were the ones who really put together the foreign brigades. But as to Asiatic, I don't see the Germans getting involved in East Asia if they manage to survive WW2, which is almost impossible.

I was thinking more of (ex) Soviet Central Asia than East Asia.

My headcanon has always been that non white peoples would get the title of Legion rather than Division, such as the Indian Legion.

My headcanon has always been that non white peoples would get the title of Legion rather than Division, such as the Indian Legion.

OTL "Legion" was used to cover how small they actually were. And could in the end be of any size.

The Waffen-SS had a distinction between those divisions that were seen as "Germanic" and those which weren't. For example:

2nd SS Panzer Division "Das Reich" was a completely German division.

11th SS Freiwilligen Panzer-Grenadier Division "Nordland"
was a foreign volunteer division seen as Germanic, thus the term "Freiwilligen", or "freewill".

33rd Grenadier Division der SS "Charlemagne" was considered non-Germanic, and so the SS was applied at the end of the division's function (Panzer, Panzer-Grenadier, Grenadier, Gebirgs, etc).

This type of organization translated to ranks as well. a German or Germanic SS Major would be an "SS-Sturmbannführer", while a non-Germanic SS Major would be a "Sturmbannführer der SS".