Alternate Spacecraft Thread

Since we have one for weapons, and I've seen a few spacecraft there, I decided to create a thread specifically for alternate spacecraft (rockets, ferry-craft, shuttles, space-stations, probes, rovers, space suits included, etc.). Go Ape.

"Pix or GTFO," as the four-chans say.

You drop a nuke off the back and it goes:

superorion2.jpg

orionmars.jpg

Thande

Donor
There's a history of the US and USSR coming up with similar spacecraft concepts, most obviously with the space shuttles. Here's another example, one which never took off in OTL, that of the capsule on top of a large habitation module.

The U.S. one was Big Gemini:

Big_Gemini.png

and the Soviet one was the TKS, which did actually fly some unmanned missions in OTL.

800px-TKS_spacecraft_drawing.png

800px-TKS_cutaway.png

It also went on to form the basis for the Zarya Module which is the heart of the International Space Station.

541px-Zarya_from_STS-88.jpg

Hapsburg

Banned
After World War III, an intense space race between the three superpowers of America, China, and the British Commonwealth led to rapid exploration of much of the solar system, and the construction of habitats on the moon. The UN, at the same time, undertook a massive project to build orbital colonies of the Island 3 type.
In the early 2100's, with the threat of a colonial war between China and the Anglo-American bloc looming, the Americans and British undertook a joint military venture to build a fission-powered attack satellite, to give them an edge over Chinese capabilities on land. The result was this, the Damocles. Armed with forty missile tubes, and with powerful manoeuvring thrusters, it could strike anywhere in the world. Put into orbit in 2105, it essentially put to rest any talk of war on Luna or Earth.
The satellite's main weapon system, the Mk 1 Mod 0 "Sword of Damocles" Orbital Drop Ballistic Missile, could project a rocket-boosted tungsten spike from orbit to a surface target at speeds in excess of 9 kilometres per second. It would impact with kinetic force equal to that of a small nuclear weapon, yet was still technically a conventional munition. A fold-out SAM block would be able to target and destroy any incoming anti-satellite missile, rendering it as the ultimate arbiter of world peace. Two more Damocles systems would be built and placed in geosynchronous orbit.

After fifty years of maintaining peace during the colonisation of Luna, Mars, and the Lagrange Points, the three Damocles, along with all other weapons of mass destruction, would be transferred to UN control immediately prior to the signing of the Terran Confederation Charter.
The Damocles would later be described as among the first space combat ships.

Specifications:
Length: 70 meters
Width: 21 meters
Height(tube diameter): 11 meters
Mass: 1,900 tons
Armaments:
Mk 80 Anti-Air Missiles, in 12x5-tube fold-out box launcher (60 missiles total).
Mk 1 Mod 0 "Sword of Damocles" Orbital Drop Ballistic Missiles, in 8x5 launcher set (40 missiles total).

Damocles.png

Thande

Donor
Big Gemini intruiges me...that will need a beefy rocket!

Actually no, they just used a Titan 3M launcher. The Soviet TKS spacecraft was launched on a Proton.

Incidentally, there's a British company called Excalibur Almaz, based on the Isle of Man, that has bought the plans to TKS and Almaz, the military space station it was designed to resupply, and now plans to launch them on commercial launchers.

Actually no, they just used a Titan 3M launcher.
Really? But it looks so much...meatier than a regular capsule.

Incidentally, there's a British company called Excalibur Almaz, based on the Isle of Man, that has bought the plans to TKS and Almaz, the military space station it was designed to resupply, and now plans to launch them on commercial launchers.

Blimey. Now that would be damn cool. It'll probally be a total bankrupt flop of a company within a few months but if it were to be....spacefaring Manx....

Von Braun...*shudder.*

The inevitable Space Nazis continuation:
iron_sky_02.jpg

From the forthcoming movie "Iron Sky." ASB at its best, I hope.

Ooh, that reminds me.

Von Braun's Ferry Ship

Man on the Moon, 1962

Von Braun Shuttle

Von Braun Lunar Lander
http://manconquersspace.com/
http://home.flash.net/~aajiv/bd/colliers.html

That spacecraft makes absolutely no sense! :confused:
Why would a spacecraft heading for the moon have wings like that?
I know the design was taken from the A-10?, but that was a bomb(er) designed to cruise at the edge of the atmosphere.

Those pictures are just an insult to Von Brauns intelligence.

EDIT Still the trailer has made me very curious for the full movie ;)

Last edited:
Because when it returned to the Earth it was designed to do atmospheric re-entry by a long slow glide over 55% of the Earth's circumference.

I assume that before exiting the atmosphere it is planned to do the same, looking at those gigantic fins on the initial first stage?!

EDIT, wait, I think I even see a total of 3 stages with wings.

Last edited:
I assume that before exiting the atmosphere it is planned to do the same, looking at those gigantic fins on the initial first stage?!

EDIT, wait, I think I even see a total of 3 stages with wings.

Actually, those are pure 1950's Von Braun (but note most unlikely to have been doable)

The first pics are of the ferry rocket that takes the Lunar crew to a station to transfer to the Lunar Ferry/Lander. The ferry rocket's 1st two stages have wings and parachute to guide/drop back to earth for recovery and reuse. The 3rd stage is a shuttle (w/ wings) it carries the crews only back and forth behind the space station, never goes beyond LEO.

The last pic is a good look the Lunar ship, only goes behind earth orbit and the moon.

Check out the homepage; http://manconquersspace.com/MCSEnter.html as well as NORTON's lik to Collier pics.