The One Fixed Point in a Changing Age: Alternate Sherlock Holmes filmographies!

Introduction
Hello all! Rejoice, for this is my first timeline!!!!!! (Seriously though, please go easy on me. I'm still new to all of this.)

I shall be posting a series of alternate Sherlock Holmes films and tv shows. A few will be based on productions that were going to happen, but ended up falling through. However most will be original concepts I've come up with myself. Most of these timelines will be self contained and unrelated to each other.
If you have any Holmes timelines of your own that you would like to share here , please feel free to do so!
I wish you all a good day, and I hope you enjoy this! :)

NOTE: I do not intend to plagiarise anyone else's creative efforts, so if you find any of my work to be similar to preexisting concepts, know that it is entirely coincidental. I will acknowledge when my work has been inspired by other. If you feel I might have inadvertently infringed upon your own work, Kindly let me know.

(Edit: Radio/audio dramas can now be included if you wish!)

Last edited:
Holmes & Watson (2013)
Holmes & Watson (2013)
A comedic film loosely based on the workings of Conan Doyle. Released to mostly positive reviews and a healthy box office performance.

Directed by Edgar Wright
Screenplay by Edgar Wright, Stephen Fry & Hugh Laurie
  • Hugh Laurie as Sherlock Holmes
  • Stephen Fry as Dr. John H. Watson
  • Catherine Tate as Irene Adler
  • Steve Coogan as Professor Moriarty
  • Lee Mack as Inspector Lestrade
  • Rob Brydon as Col. Moran
  • Emma Thompson as Mrs. Hudson
  • Tony Slattery as Mycroft Holmes
(EDIT: Also included here!)

Last edited:
Interesting. I would have seen Fry as more of the Holmes, and Laurie as more of a Watson.

What plot points would the movie adapt?

This was a TV Show I created for the Best TV Shows Never Made Thread.

Holmes of Baker Street 1977 staring Christopher Plummer as Holmes and Thorley Walters as Dr. Waston.
Produce in Canada, but filmed in England, it consisted of 13 episodes including the pilot episode "The Silver Blaze" that first aired as a episode of "The Sunday Drama" .
The Hound of the Baskerville was adapted as a two parter.

(OTL, Plummer and Walters did do "The Silver Blaze" for the series "The Sunday Drama" , but it did not go to series. )

The Person I would have like to see play Holmes was Errol Flynn .
He have been a interesting Holmes and I thinking that Claude Rains would have been a interesting and intelligent Watson (Instead of the Fool that Bruce usually played .)
I love to have seen the two cast in the 1939 Hounds of the Baskervilles in the place of Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce.

Driftless

Donor
He have been a interesting Holmes and I thinking that Claude Rains would have been a interesting and intelligent Watson (Instead of the Fool that Bruce usually played .)
I love to have seen the two cast in the 1939 Hounds of the Baskervilles in the place of Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce.

Rains would have made a superb Watson. I had not thought of Flynn in the role, but that could really work well.

Driftless

Donor
Here's my alt-Sherlock TV Series of a few months back on the TV shows not made thread:

Sherlock Holmes – TV Series – 1977-1978 (16 episodes)

Granada Television – Adapted from Conan Doyle by John Hawkesworth and others. Filmed as single one hour episodes, or as two-parters. Stories filmed included: A Study in Scarlett, The Hound of the Baskervilles, A Scandal in Bohemia, Engineers Thumb, Copper Beeches, The Empty House.

Cast:
Sherlock Holmes – Alan Rickman (Rickman historically played Holmes on stage in 1976)
Dr John Watson – John Nettles
Mrs Hudson – Molly Sugden
Mycroft Holmes – Jeremy Brett
Mary Marston – Caroline Langrishe
Sir Henry Baskerville – Leslie Nielsen
Irene Adler – Geraldine McEwan
Inspector Lestrade – Malcolm Tierney
Col. Sebastian Moran – Ian McShane
Professor Moriarty – Tom Courtney (as an unseen voice narration)

As the series progressed and in years after, Rickman’s portrayal of Holmes became recognized as one of the more iconic of an often-performed character. His distinctive voice combined with the public recognition of the Holmes character led to a varied cross-section of roles later on. Rickman became known for playing heroes, villains, scientists, spies, romantic leads. His voice pattern became a staple of 1980’s late night TV and Las Vegas comic impressionists such as Rich Little and Frank Gorshin.

I'd be interested to see a 30s Holmes either pre-code or from a universe where the production code doesn't kick in like OTL.

In my Doctor Who timeline, there'll be a Sherlock Holmes series. I'm hoping no-one will come up with the same casting ideas independently before I've had a chance to post it.

Rains would have made a superb Watson. I had not thought of Flynn in the role, but that could really work well.
Flynn's Holmes would be more a man of action .
I was always surprised that Rathbone Holmes was not more a man of action.
Since he was villains against Flynn in most of the swashbucklers films .

Driftless

Donor
Flynn's Holmes would be more a man of action .
I was always surprised that Rathbone Holmes was not more a man of action.
Since he was villains against Flynn in most of the swashbucklers films .
If I remember correctly, Rathbone was the one with some genuine fencing training in his background, but Flynn picked it up by natural athletic ability. Rathbone could have easily done more action roles.

If I remember correctly, Rathbone was the one with some genuine fencing training in his background, but Flynn picked it up by natural athletic ability. Rathbone could have easily done more action roles.
Don't get me wrong. I like Rathbone as Holmes.
Especially the first two movies. Hounds and Adventure of Sherlock Holmes .
And I love him in the Radio episodes that he did .

It just that compared to the villains roles he played , Rathbone's Holmes lack energy .
I know Rathbone trying to do Holmes as a intellectual but Holmes never hesitated to act when it was necessary in the Stories by the Doyle .

BBC Television Series Sherlock Holmes 1983-1985
Sherlock Holmes :Tom Baker
Dr Watson :Terence Rigby
Inspector Lestrade: Hubert Rees
Mrs Hudson ; Dinah Sheridan
Following the Hound Of the Baskervilles, the BBC made adaptations of " A Study in Scarlet", "The Sign of Four" and "The Valley of Fear". They were shown in the Sunday Evening Classic Serial slot on BBC1. They were generally well received but plans to start adapting the short stories foundered when Granada started showing their adaptations of these starring Jeremy Brett.
(From a slightly adjacent world where Tom Baker's Holmes was better received in 1982)

BBC Television Series Sherlock Holmes 1983-1985
Sherlock Holmes :Tom Baker
Dr Watson :Terence Rigby
Inspector Lestrade: Hubert Rees
Mrs Hudson ; Dinah Sheridan
Following the Hound Of the Baskervilles, the BBC made adaptations of " A Study in Scarlet", "The Sign of Four" and "The Valley of Fear". They were shown in the Sunday Evening Classic Serial slot on BBC1. They were generally well received but plans to start adapting the short stories foundered when Granada started showing their adaptations of these starring Jeremy Brett.
(From a slightly adjacent world where Tom Baker's Holmes was better received in 1982)
My take on Tom Baker Holmes from My Step by Step Universe.

Both Baker success as Holmes in The Hound of the Baskerville and as the Doctor on Doctor Who, lead the BBC to cross Baker's Holmes with popular Horror characters.
The first90 minute tv movie was "Scarlet by Gaslight' in which Holmes and Professor Moriarty team up to stop Count Dracula. It aired in 1983.
The year after, they produced "A Case of Blind Fear" in which Holmes and Watson meet the Invisible Man from HG Wells Novel. It was another 90 minute movie.
In 1985, a movie and a three part miniseries were produced.
The Miniseries was based on the Manly Wade Wellman novel "Sherlock Holmes' War of the Worlds' . Additional material was added that dealt with Moriarty stealing a Martian War Machine after the death of the Martians . (The novel plot of Holmes having a relationship with Mrs. Hudson was not included ) .
It was a series of three 1 hour episodes .
And a shorter special , just one hour was made that cross Holmes with the events of Robert Louis Stevenson's "The Suicide Club".

(All of these plots were based on some American Comic Books in the 1980's. Most of those were written by Martin Powell)

Rains would have been wonderful! Although I'm less sure about Flynn. Whilst he could have pulled off the gentlemanly man of action well, I can't quite see him as an eccentric intellectual.
(P.S. I plan to have Rains as Moriarty opposite Karloff's Holmes)

Sherlock Holmes – TV Series – 1977-1978 (16 episodes)

Granada Television – Adapted from Conan Doyle by John Hawkesworth and others. Filmed as single one hour episodes, or as two-parters. Stories filmed included: A Study in Scarlett, The Hound of the Baskervilles, A Scandal in Bohemia, Engineers Thumb, Copper Beeches, The Empty House.

Cast:
Sherlock Holmes – Alan Rickman (Rickman historically played Holmes on stage in 1976)​
Dr John Watson – John Nettles​
Mrs Hudson – Molly Sugden​
Mycroft Holmes – Jeremy Brett​
Mary Marston – Caroline Langrishe​
Sir Henry Baskerville – Leslie Nielsen​
Irene Adler – Geraldine McEwan​
Inspector Lestrade – Malcolm Tierney​
Col. Sebastian Moran – Ian McShane​
Professor Moriarty – Tom Courtney (as an unseen voice narration)​

As the series progressed and in years after, Rickman’s portrayal of Holmes became recognized as one of the more iconic of an often-performed character. His distinctive voice combined with the public recognition of the Holmes character led to a varied cross-section of roles later on. Rickman became known for playing heroes, villains, scientists, spies, romantic leads. His voice pattern became a staple of 1980’s late night TV and Las Vegas comic impressionists such as Rich Little and Frank Gorshin.
An indubitably solid cast! :)

Last edited:
I'd be interested to see a 30s Holmes either pre-code or from a universe where the production code doesn't kick in like OTL.

In my Doctor Who timeline, there'll be a Sherlock Holmes series. I'm hoping no-one will come up with the same casting ideas independently before I've had a chance to post it.
Thanks mate, for showing me how to start this thread. 👍