The One Fixed Point in a Changing Age: Alternate Sherlock Holmes filmographies!

If we were actually filming in the late 50s/early 60's:

HOLMES- Kenneth More
IRENE ADLER- Joan Collins OR Dana Wynter
MORIARTY- Trevor Howard OR if you wanted someone younger, Laurence Harvey.
I see Mycroft as maybe being a guest star who steps in every couple of episodes to explain certain things
that have been going on. Thus he could be played by James Mason or even- drool- Lawrence Olivier(hey,
if he did THE BETSY later in his career, of course Sir Larry could have seen his way clear to doing TV!)
Who would be Watson?

For the 80s/90s remake: Anthony Andrews as Holmes, Jeremy Irons as Watson? No Aloysius the teddy bear though. Or the other way around!

Last edited:

Driftless

Donor
A real reach from deep left field.....

A 1950's early '60's US TV series taking August Derleth's Solar Pons stories (Sherlock Holmes pastiches) and transplanting them to San Francisco of the 1920's. (Derleth was a prodigious American writer in a variety of genres, and could have been a primary writer for the series).
Solar Pons - Richard Boone​
Dr. Lyndon Parker - Karl Malden​
Mrs. Johnson - Bea Benaderet​
Bancroft Pons - Allyn Joslyn​

A 1950's early '60's US TV series taking August Derleth's Solar Pons stories (Sherlock Holmes pastiches) and transplanting them to San Francisco of the 1920's. (Derleth was a prodigious American writer in a variety of genres, and could have been a primary writer for the series).
I like this .
Another writer who could be brought in was John Dickson Carr. He did scripts for a number of Radios Shows in the 40's and could have written for some TV shows if asked.

Who would be Watson?

For the 80s/90s remake: Anthony Andrews as Holmes, Jeremy Irons as Watson? No Aloysius the teddy bear though. Or the other way around!
Andrews would have been a good choice for Holmes.
I wish the creators of the Film "Hands of a Murderer" had switch roles of Andrews and Edward Woodward.
Anthony Andrews would have been better as Holmes and Woodward would have been better as Moriarty .

Richard Boone in a show from the late 50's?
Have you ever heard of "Have Gun , Will Travel"?
Boone can't do Solar Pon.

Driftless

Donor
Richard Boone in a show from the late 50's?
Have you ever heard of "Have Gun , Will Travel"?
Boone can't do Solar Pon.

Paladin rides a different mount here.... :biggrin:

That's a dilemma, as "Have Gun Will Travel" was a first-rate series. MeTV shows has shown the reruns early mornings, so I get to see them periodically. Boone was very adept at playing the brooding hero or brooding villan.

"Hec Ramsey" was an under-rated series with Boone as a forward-thinking post-frontier sheriff. (I think I've over-drawn my use of hyphens from the spelling bank for today)

Last edited:
robby-the-robot-21[1].jpg

There was talk in the late 70's to do a "Robot thinks he Sherlock Holmes" tv show staring Robbie the Robot .
As far as I can tell this picture is all the exist from that.
Not as ASB as it seems as two of the 80's Sherlock Holmes Sci Fi Anthologies "Sherlock Holmes through Time and Space" and "Sherlock Holmes in Orbit " both had Stories in which advance computers think they are Holmes. It a popular troup .

Paladin rides a different mount here.... :biggrin:

That's a dilemma, as "Have Gun Will Travel" was a first-rate series. MeTV shows has shown the reruns early mornings, so I get to see them periodically. Boone was very adept at playing the brooding hero or brooding villan.

"Hec Ramsey" was an under-rated series with Boone as a forward-thinking post-frontier sheriff. (I think I've over-drawn my use of hyphens from the spelling bank for today)
I love Hec Ramsey and wish there were more episodes .
It a great show .
The idea of the old gunfighter using "modern" criminals science is a fun and Boone was good in the show.

Excellent locked room murder mysteries too.
Carr was part of a wonderful collection of writers in the 30 and 40's that did great Mysteries . Many of those books are the best Locked Room Mysteries ever written.
He was close friends with both Frederic Dannay and Manfred Lee who are collectively know as "Ellery Queen" and also with Clayton Rawson.
They use to challenge each other . Rawson once challenged Dannay to use a plot with a character who died with his clothes inside out. This became part of the classic novel
The Chinese Orange Mystery.
Carr once challenge Rawson to write a murder mystery in a Glass Phone Booth. This became "Off the Face of the Earth" in which a man being watch by the Police disappears in a Phone Booth.

If you like Great Mystery , Carr, or his pseudonym Carter Diskson , Ellery Queen and Clayton Rawson are all worth picking up. They wrote some of the best mysteries ever.

Carr was part of a wonderful collection of writers in the 30 and 40's that did great Mysteries . Many of those books are the best Locked Room Mysteries ever written.
He was close friends with both Frederic Dannay and Manfred Lee who are collectively know as "Ellery Queen" and also with Clayton Rawson.
They use to challenge each other . Rawson once challenged Dannay to use a plot with a character who died with his clothes inside out. This became part of the classic novel
The Chinese Orange Mystery.
Carr once challenge Rawson to write a murder mystery in a Glass Phone Booth. This became "Off the Face of the Earth" in which a man being watch by the Police disappears in a Phone Booth.

If you like Great Mystery , Carr, or his pseudonym Carter Diskson , Ellery Queen and Clayton Rawson are all worth picking up. They wrote some of the best mysteries ever.
I've read a few Dixon Carr/carter Dickson's but not yet any Ellery Queen. I especially enjoyed The Case of the Constant Suicides!

How about Stuart Granger in Boone Place?
Granger left MGM in 1957.
He would do TV in the late 60's and early 70's so it not ASB that Granger would do TV.

Driftless

Donor
Another deep left field option....
A 1940's limited run West End stage version of "A Study in Scarlett" starring Laurence Olivier as Holmes and Ralph Richardson as Watson.