The One Fixed Point in a Changing Age: Alternate Sherlock Holmes filmographies!

I've actually had a Karloff as Holmes idea in the pipeline for some time now. And I want to do something with Price too.
My step by step timeline will have Karloff doing Moriarty opposite Rathborne doing the Gillete Play in the late 40's and latter playing Moriarty on TV in the 50's TV show,
(I have Peter Cushing playing Holmes in the 50's TV show instead of Howard,)
Considering a Hammer Holmes/Dracula crossover in the late 60's and thinking of Price as Moriarty for that.

My step by step timeline will have Karloff doing Moriarty opposite Rathborne doing the Gillete Play in the late 40's and latter playing Moriarty on TV in the 50's TV show,
(I have Peter Cushing playing Holmes in the 50's TV show instead of Howard,)
Considering a Hammer Holmes/Dracula crossover in the late 60's and thinking of Price as Moriarty for that.
Cool.

I'm popping this one inside spoiler tags, as it's a spoiler for my Doctor Who production history timeline.

Sherlock Holmes (Granada 1979-83)

Sherlock Holmes - Simon Cadell
Dr. Watson - William Gaunt
Insp. Lestrade - Jack Shepherd
Mrs. Hudson - Rosalie Crutchley
Mycroft Holmes - Jeremy Sinden
Prof. Moriarty - Alfred Burke

While it still retained its 19th Century setting, Granada's series eschewed a grand, period drama style. The series was shot on 16mm in a manner that drew (mostly favourable) comparisons with shows like The Sweeney. As their press release explained:
We haven't modernized Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock Holmes has always been modern. Amid all the fog and gaslamps are a series of tightly plotted crime procedurals. Just because it's set in the last century doesn't mean it's not going to be pacey. These are stories of life, death and greed.

View attachment 541707
Looks very interesting. Feel free to remove it from here when you're ready to include it in your own timeline.

Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula
Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula (1981)
A BBC TV film adapted from Loren D. Estleman's novel of the same name.

Sherlock Holmes: Robert Powell
Dr. John H. Watson: Timothy West
Count Dracula: Peter Wyngarde
Professor Van Helsing: Kevin Stoney
Thomas Parker: Michael Maloney
Mr Caffyn: Noel Howlett
Mary Watson: Theresa Streatfeild
Vampire: Frances Jeater
Inspector Lestrade: Nicholas Courtney
Mrs Barton: Katherine Parr
Ned Bridger: John Hollis

Revenge of the Demon Dog (alias Hound of the Baskervilles)
Starring Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes
Edward Hardwicke as Dr. J.H. Watson
Colin Jeavons as DCI Lestrade
Rosalie Williams asMrs. Hudson

Dexter Fletcher as Billy Mortimer, a young horror fan and apprentice FX technician.
Raymond Adamson as Sir Charles Baskerville - the CEO of at Baskerville Films Limited
Ken Campbell as Frank Barrymore -the head of production, director, scriptwriter at Baskerville.
James Faulkner as Jim Stapleton - former office boy turned scriptwriter turned director of the film, "Revenge of the Demon Dog". The son of Charley's eldest brother, Roger, a one-time actor and air ace who died in World War Two ("the Leslie Howard of poverty row"), and had an affair with Edith Stapleton, the wife of Jackie Stapleton, a music hall comedian who did films for Baskerville. Charley knew that the boy was his nephew, butdid not want him to go the way of his womanising father. Jackie refused to believe that the boy was not his, and raised him as his own. But when Jackie died of cirrhosis, Stapleton was basically given to Charley who looked after him like his own son.
Alex Hyde White as Harry Baskerville - Charles' nephew, the son of Hugo Baskerville Jr, the studios' US-based distribution and sales manager
Gina Bellman as Beryl "Consuela" Ferguson - an exotic dancer turned scream queen.
Bernard Horsfall as Arthur Frankland - the veteran FX man who is training Billy to take over so he can run the pub he and his wife have, fulltime.
Diane Langton as Doris Barrymore - Frank's astrologist wife
Erika Hoffman as Laura Lyons - a runaway student who Charley Baskerville took under his wing, and groomed for stardom, but Stapleton was willing to exploit. But she wanted to be a writer not an actress.
Don McKillop as the Reverend Slade - local vicar who is campaigning for the studio to be shut down, what with video nasties and all that.

A young horror movie fan/apprentice FX technician, Billy Mortimer (Dexter Fletcher) arrives at Baker Street asking for advice, after Charley Baskerville, his mentor and owner of legendary film studio Baskerville Films, known for their horror pictures is found dead, on the moorland set of their latest picture, Revenge of the Demon Dog. According to legend, the mansion was bought by Baskerville's uncle Hugo, a Fred Karno-esque showman in 1913, after the owner, Lady Fernworthy went mad and murdered her family. Hugo died in 1923, aged 57, leaving his younger brother Arthur (Charley's father) to run the company.
Sightings of the demon dog from the film abound in the surrounding suburbs around Baskerville Studios.

Last edited:
Starring Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes
Edward Hardwicke as Dr. J.H. Watson
Colin Jeavons as DCI Lestrade
Rosalie Williams asMrs. Hudson

Dexter Fletcher as Billy Mortimer, a young horror fan and apprentice FX technician.
Raymond Adamson as Sir Charles Baskerville - the CEO of at Baskerville Films Limited
Ken Campbell as Frank Barrymore -the head of production, director, scriptwriter at Baskerville.
James Faulkner as Jim Stapleton - former office boy turned scriptwriter turned director of the film, "Revenge of the Demon Dog". The son of Charley's eldest brother, Roger, a one-time actor and air ace who died in World War Two ("the Leslie Howard of poverty row"), and had an affair with Edith Stapleton, the wife of Jackie Stapleton, a music hall comedian who did films for Baskerville. Charley knew that the boy was his nephew, butdid not want him to go the way of his womanising father. Jackie refused to believe that the boy was not his, and raised him as his own. But when Jackie died of cirrhosis, Stapleton was basically given to Charley who looked after him like his own son.
Alex Hyde White as Harry Baskerville - Charles' nephew, the son of Hugo Baskerville Jr, the studios' US-based distribution and sales manager
Gina Bellman as Beryl "Consuela" Ferguson - an exotic dancer turned scream queen.
Bernard Horsfall as Arthur Frankland - the veteran FX man who is training Billy to take over so he can run the pub he and his wife have, fulltime.
Diane Langton as Doris Barrymore - Frank's astrologist wife
Erika Hoffman as Laura Lyons - a runaway student who Charley Baskerville took under his wing, and groomed for stardom, but Stapleton was willing to exploit. But she wanted to be a writer not an actress.
Don McKillop as the Reverend Slade - local vicar who is campaigning for the studio to be shut down, what with video nasties and all that.

A young horror movie fan/apprentice FX technician, Billy Mortimer (Dexter Fletcher) arrives at Baker Street asking for advice, after Charley Baskerville, his mentor and owner of legendary film studio Baskerville Films, known for their horror pictures is found dead, on the moorland set of their latest picture, Revenge of the Demon Dog. According to legend, the mansion was bought by Baskerville's uncle Hugo, a Fred Karno-esque showman in 1913, after the owner, Lady Fernworthy went mad and murdered her family. Hugo died in 1923, aged 57, leaving his younger brother Arthur (Charley's father) to run the company.
Sightings of the demon dog from the film abound in the surrounding suburbs around Baskerville Studios.
Interesting.

The Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes
The Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes (1988-98)

A BBC series starring Clive Merrison and Michael Williams.
(I'm going to elaborate on this later, when I've got the whole thing complete.)

Last edited:
Well they nailed it on radio for the Beeb. I believe that they're the only pair to perform the whole canon (Andrew Sachs played Watson, after the death of Michael Williams, in the non canonical Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes). I have one caveat with them doing a television series, Clive Merrison may sound like Holmes but he looks like Moriarty!

Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula (1981)
A BBC TV film adapted from Loren D. Estleman's novel of the same name.

Sherlock Holmes: Robert Powell
Dr. John H. Watson: Timothy West
Count Dracula: Peter Wyngarde
Professor Van Helsing: Kevin Stoney
Thomas Parker: Michael Maloney
Mr Caffyn: Noel Howlett
Mary Watson: Theresa Streatfeild
Vampire: Frances Jeater
Inspector Lestrade: Nicholas Courtney
Mrs Barton: Katherine Parr
Ned Bridger: John Hollis
May I recommend Don Sharp as the Director ?
He did "The 39 Steps " with Powell in 78 and work for Hammer with The Kiss of the Vampire and Rasputin The Mad Monk.

Well they nailed it on radio for the Beeb. I believe that they're the only pair to perform the whole canon (Andrew Sachs played Watson, after the death of Michael Williams, in the non canonical Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes). I have one caveat with them doing a television series, Clive Merrison may sound like Holmes but he looks like Moriarty!
It may take a while for the full thing to surface on here, as I intend to put a lot more work into it than with some of my others.
I have someone who I think will be perfect for Moriarty.

The Paternoster Gang BBC 2016-?

Most of this spin off from Doctor Who isn’t relevant. However the last three episodes of the first series did involve a certain consulting Detective!

Episode 1

Madame Vastra is very surprised to be consulted by Inspector Lestrade. She passes comment that his first port of call is usually Baker Street. Lestrade replies that it was, but was advised that his problem was more in Madame Vastra’s purview.

Intrigued, Madame Vastra inquires about the problem. It would seem that a policeman has been found dead on the banks of the Thames with unusual wounds but he is still reporting for duty!

The gang go to the morgue and examine the corpse. Strax points that the wounds are consistent with Sontaran weaponry. Jenny is asked to follow the being that is reporting for duty.

She reports that he is acting normally during duty hours but instead of returning to his home always goes to the same warehouse. She also reports that she is certain that she saw both members of the Baker Street Irregulars and Holmes in the vicinity. Jenny notes that she saw through his disguise straight away but didn’t say anything.

The replacement would fool 19th century examination but not their scanners.

The episode ends with them all paying the warehouse a visit and having to hide from a Sontaran patrol.

Episode 2

Whilst escaping from the Sontarans. The gang discover some vats/tubes in which there are partially formed human bodies. However the faces are becoming recognisable. They recognise the Prime Minister and Sherlock Holmes! They make their escape.

Once back at their base they speculate on what is happening. It is obvious that key people are being replaced.

“Why Mister Holmes?” asks Jenny

“Who else are the powers that be going to ask to investigate if they notice something” replies Madame Vastra.

Strax points out that there is something also wrong with the Sontarans. They don’t look quite right (They appear more like the Sontarans from Classic Who rather than those in NuWho).

“Much earlier clone batches” answers Madame Vastra.

That night they beat off an attack. They recognise their attackers as being members of certain criminal gangs in the city.

Episode 3

The gang prepare to raid and destroy the warehouse. It has become apparent that the Sontarans have also replaced not only political leaders but criminal leaders as well. They are surprised by Holmes coming to their door. They scan him but it is indeed Holmes.

He states that he had been engaged by his brother Mycroft who was becoming alarmed at certain decisions being made by the government and the people in charge of the Diogenes Club. That was why he had sent Lestrade to her. He takes them to a location near the warehouse where to their surprise they find Mycroft, Watson, Lestrade and a squad of policemen. Mycroft complains that his being there is most inconvenient and tells them to resolve the situation as quickly as possible so that his life can return to normal.

The gang tell Holmes, Lestrade and the policemen to stay in their current location until called. They would just be cannon fodder for those inside the warehouse. The gang raid the warehouse and they manage to kill the Sontaran guards. Strax sniffs, they’re not up to his standards!

They reach the centre of the warehouse and find more Sontarans plus what seems to be a human. They manage to kill the Sontarans and destroy the complex. However the human, whom they discover is the replacement of Professor Moriarty escapes.

The squad of policemen scour the area but find no trace of Moriarty. Satisfied that the situation has been dealt with, Mycroft departs stating that there will be a cabinet reshuffle, redeployment of certain people and a reorganisation of the Diogenes Club.

Holmes and Watson depart with Holmes saying

“Leave him to me”

The episode ends with the gang commenting that they never found out exactly what was the plan of the Sontarans.

“Time will tell” states Madame Vastra.

Cast

Madame Vastra: Neve McIntosh

Jenny Flint: Catrin Stewart

Strax: Dan Starkey

Lestrade: Rupert Graves

Sherlock Holmes: Benedict Cumberbatch

Mycroft Holmes: Mark Gatiss

John Watson: Martin Freeman

Moriarty: Andrew Scott

It was originally intended that Holmes and Watson would have a much bigger part in the story but difficulties in scheduling with both Cumberbatch and Freeman being involved in MCU films caused a rewrite. These three episodes were by far the most popular with the viewing audience.

My favorite Sherlock Holmes Science Fiction story does not even have Holmes as the main character.
It is The Problem of Sore Bridge by Phillip Jose Farmer.

In the Holmes story "The Problem of Thor Bridge" Watson tell us that their were three cases that Holmes never solved.
"Among these unfinished tales is that of Mr. James Phillimore, who, stepping back into his own house to get his umbrella, was never more seen in this world". "No less remarkable is that of the cutter Alicia, which sailed one spring morning into a small patch of mist from where she never again emerged, nor was anything further ever heard of herself and her crew. A third case worthy of note is that of Isadora Persano, the well-known journalist and duellist, who was found stark staring mad with a match box in front of him which contained a remarkable worm said to be unknown to science"

Now you can find Pastiches of all of these cases, but I love Farmer Science Fiction take in "The Problem of Sore Bridge " in which Holmes does not solve them yet Raffle and Manders do solve it.

One of the things that I planning for my "Step by Step Timeline" is for Leonard Nimoy's Audio Group "Aliens Worlds" to do a live audio presentation of the Story on the Sci Fi Channel.

Last edited:
Hugh Laurie as Sherlock Holmes
After playing him for 8yr on TV, IMO you'd have to offer Laurie one hell of a deal to get him to sign up.
Here's my alt-Sherlock TV Series of a few months back on the TV shows not made thread:
I'm a big fan of Rickman, but Brett, IMO, is the definitive Holmes (much as Connery is Bond). I'd flip Brett & Rickman's roles.

Leslie Nielsen as Watson intrigues me. ;) And what about Derek Jacobi?

With Flynn as Holmes, you'd almost need The 7% Solution to do him justice.
Murry "The Invisible Man" from Case of Blind Fear , I was thinking Anthony Hopkins . the Character is mainly Bandages and the actor voice . Hopkins be perfect .
You could actually use anybody, if you never see him, & just dub Hopkins' voice.

If you'll allow a broad definition of pastiche, what about adapting The Name of the Rose? I got the sense William of Baskerville was meant as an expy.

You might also put a twist on the short story "The Mystery of a Hansom Cab" (which has been filmed once).
That makes me think... How nuts do you want to go? Put Holmes & Watson in a world where demons are real? :eek: And get this:
"Elementals, Watson" (2003-2020)
Jensen Ackles as Holmes
Jim Beaver as Watson
Mischa Collins as Lestrade
Kim Rhodes as Gregson
Mark Shepard as Mycroft
Mark Pellegrino as Moriarty

Holmes & Watson deal with cases of demonic possession, vampires, werewolves, & other nasty thingies. Filmed in Toronto, it runs on Space TV in Canada & The WB in the U.S. (No '67 Impala, tho.)

Last edited:

Driftless

Donor
A bit of a reach, but how about a sequel(s) to "Young Sherlock Holmes"(1985)? The plot was maybe a bit overdone, considering its target audience, and some of the cinematography was pretty special for it's era. Nicholas Rowe was good as Sherlock, as was Anthony Higgins as the villain who ultimately reinvents himself as Moriarty, and Roger Ashton-Griffiths was suitably thick and condescending as Lestrade, and Sophie Ward was affecting as the ill-fated Elizabeth. Allen Cox as Watson was a bit lightweight, but he was maybe 14 when the film was shot.

Maybe if the original were a little more action-oriented, then the box office would have been better, so a sequel, or sequels could follow.

*edit* the primo special effect was sword-wielding knight stained-glass image leaping from the window to attack the parson. The film was nominated for an Oscar, largely on the impact of this spectacular(for its era) scene. I remember seeing it in the theater way back when - it was an eye-opener.

Last edited: