Alternate Planets, Suns, Stars, and Solar Systems Thread

Very informative and fascinating! Now we know that an actual spring/summer/autumn/winter on Atlacamani is (around, depending on changes due to the orbits and so on) 3,25 years, and that the dry/wet season are ideally both 6,5 years long.

Diagram of Fluorolipidoid

Now, are you someone in a relevant field who could genuinely tell me that this could work in a form of organic chemistry? Because it’s feeling like you are and that it could.

And that’s awesome. I love this sort of thing. :cool:

What would it take to get something to process 1-[[1-[(2-amino-6-methyl-4-pyridinyl)methyl]-4-fluoro-4-piperidinyl]carbonyl]-4-[2-(2-pyridinyl)-3h-imidazo[4,5-b]pyridin-3-yl]piperidine as part of one of its cellular processes? :p

Dorozhand

Banned
Now, are you someone in a relevant field who could genuinely tell me that this could work in a form of organic chemistry? Because it’s feeling like you are and that it could.

And that’s awesome. I love this sort of thing. :cool:

What would it take to get something to process 1-[[1-[(2-amino-6-methyl-4-pyridinyl)methyl]-4-fluoro-4-piperidinyl]carbonyl]-4-[2-(2-pyridinyl)-3h-imidazo[4,5-b]pyridin-3-yl]piperidine as part of one of its cellular processes? :p

I'm actually not :eek: I'm fairly knowledgeable about basic chemistry but in no way an expert in anything. I do know that the molecule in question could theoretically work in the place of a lipid in an HF environment. Its tail would be hydrofluorophobic while its head would be hydrofluorophilic, providing the basis for a cell-membrane structure, which is one of the first things that abiogenesis requires. It's a "lipidoid" with fluorocarbon chains in place of hydrocarbons (which is one of the most interesting aspects, and what got me interested in the idea of Hydrogen Fluoride biology), and arsenic, selenium, and boron filling unique roles.

I've actually been working on an idea for a carbon-rich solar system around an M1 dwarf star.The life would be on small gas planets(like Neptune/Uranus), which would have oceans of liquid CO2(under the pressures involved). Any other ideas for possible life or planet composition in the solar system would be welcomed.

Because my famous backlog, the current MOTF, and the nonexistence of my freetime obviously can't even hope to give me enough to deal with, I have made a simple little map of the major Cisplutonian* bodies in another Solar System, to use for what I might. Sizes should be sorta to scale, at least compared to the star. Compared to eachother? Not so much, I'm afraid, as a lot of the 1 pixel bodies are closer to 4 pixel bodies then other 1 pixelers. Distance is in no way to scale and things are arranged for clarification rather then in their actual positions. I am accepting names for everything presently; herein I am using those issued in my notes.

List of major bodies, discounting moons, left to right:

The Star: Comparable to our Sol, but somewhat cooler and slightly larger.

I: Orbits somewhat closer to Star then Mercury does to Sol. Somewhat denser and smaller then Mercury, primarily composed of Iron and lacking an atmosphere.
II: Falls into to category of exoplanets designated as Chthonian. Formerly a Gas Giant, nudged out of the outer system by Adin in the prehistory of the system. Gas layers have long since burned off, leaving a scorched metallic core of immense size. Spins opposite to the other bodies.
III: Similar to I but larger and rather less dense, follows a slightly erratic orbit due to II.

One: Orbits opposite Two, well within the Goldilocks Zone. Somewhere in size and mass between Earth and Mars, with a covering of liquid water over some 70~% of the surface. Two captured asteroid moons akin to Phobos and Deimos.
Two: Orbits opposite One, well within the Goldilocks Zone. Slightly larger and similar in mass to Earth, with both Water and Oil oceans covering some 45~% of the surface. A single moon captured due to II's entrance, comparable to I in origin.
Three: Orbits on the very edge of the Goldilocks Zone. Made mostly of water in conventional ice forms, with liquid underneath and along the equator. Exotic ices exist in the deeps of the ocean, and they are deep.Several moon asteroids captured from the Belt.

Belt: Similar to OTL's Asteroid Belt, but considerably less massive and with more concentrated pockets of bodies.
Ein: Somewhat smaller then I. Possessing an metallic core and an pockmarked surface of ice, relatively thin. In the midst of an Asteroid Cluster; unknown if any bodies function as moons.
Zwei: Smaller then Ein, but denser and supporting both an thick atmosphere and rings. Very little water. Slightly away from the main body of the Belt.

Adin: Slightly larger then Jupiter, but made of the same stuff. 1 moon of a size larger then I, 5 comparable to the size of Ein, and a further 19~ captured moons and asteroids.
Dva: Akin in composition to Neptune but somewhat smaller. 2 moons comparable in size to I and a further 6~ captured moons and asteroids.
Trei: Somewhat larger then Dva, with a large network of rings supported by 9~ captured moons and asteroids.

Then there are a series of dwarf planets and comets and such and maybe a dead Brown Dwarf way out, akin to our Solar System.

There we are.

Star System.png

My own world with Ammonia seas (I wish the picture was mine too, but I'm not quite that good with rendering software).

Name: Uriso
Type: F4 (72%)
Gravity: 6.6 m/s2 (0.673 Earth)
Pressure: 8.96b
Atmosphere: 72% Nitrogen
15% Carbon Dioxide
04% Ammonia
05% Hydrogen Sulfide
Distance: 0.62 AU
Temp: 215K
Diameter: 13000km (1.091 Earth)
Mass: 0.364 Terran Units
Volume: 1.061 Terran Units
Density: 0.344 Terran Units
Surface Area: 1.040 Terran Units
Axis: 12 +/- 15 degrees
Moons: N/a
Day: 7.800hrs
Year: 432.463d (1.184 Earth)
Population: N/A (20k on city-ships)
Tech Level: Energy
Life Level: Precambrian

Uriso with clouds.png

Quick question. Is there a possibility of a world in which the 'land' is composed of a substance toxic to Carbon life but the 'seas' are viscous enough to support the weight of an average carbon lifeform on their surfaces, whilst being much less likely to melt your boots? I supposes those seas would have to be composed of some form of ice or dense carbonate matter; any ideas for possible identities to both substances which are relatively likely in the scheme of things?

Dorozhand

Banned
Quick question. Is there a possibility of a world in which the 'land' is composed of a substance toxic to Carbon life but the 'seas' are viscous enough to support the weight of an average carbon lifeform on their surfaces, whilst being much less likely to melt your boots? I supposes those seas would have to be composed of some form of ice or dense carbonate matter; any ideas for possible identities to both substances which are relatively likely in the scheme of things?

For the land I could imagine some kind of alien microbial life secreting hydrogen cyanide or formaldehyde into the soil as part of their metabolism, which would make it quite hostile to human life. Also, a significant Arsenic content would make it worse.

As for the sea, a sheet of ice-cover would probably fit the bill.

Dorozhand

Banned
I've actually been working on an idea for a carbon-rich solar system around an M1 dwarf star.The life would be on small gas planets(like Neptune/Uranus), which would have oceans of liquid CO2(under the pressures involved). Any other ideas for possible life or planet composition in the solar system would be welcomed.

That would definitely be interesting. I wonder what seas of the liquid CO2 would look like.

Dorozhand

Banned
My own world with Ammonia seas (I wish the picture was mine too, but I'm not quite that good with rendering software).

Name: Uriso
Type: F4 (72%)
Gravity: 6.6 m/s2 (0.673 Earth)
Pressure: 8.96b
Atmosphere: 72% Nitrogen
15% Carbon Dioxide
04% Ammonia
05% Hydrogen Sulfide
Distance: 0.62 AU
Temp: 215K
Diameter: 13000km (1.091 Earth)
Mass: 0.364 Terran Units
Volume: 1.061 Terran Units
Density: 0.344 Terran Units
Surface Area: 1.040 Terran Units
Axis: 12 +/- 15 degrees
Moons: N/a
Day: 7.800hrs
Year: 432.463d (1.184 Earth)
Population: N/A (20k on city-ships)
Tech Level: Energy
Life Level: Precambrian

I like that a lot. Proterozoic microbial life on an Ammonia world would be interesting indeed.

I like that a lot. Proterozoic microbial life on an Ammonia world would be interesting indeed.

Thank you. Given how cold (i.e. lack of energy in the environment) it is, it's unfortunate that observing the lifeforms would be like watching grass grow.

Incidentally, the life forms on Uriso include jellyfish, sponges and other simple life. Here's something I wrote up years ago about it:

Ecology of Uriso
Biochemistry: Uriforms are carbon-based. However, they not only use hydrogen sulfate for
respiration, but ammonia as a liquid medium. This makes them a great deal slower do to low
temperatures.

Forms: The most noticeable attribute of an Uriform is on a cellular level. They do have DNA and
cell structures, however, instead of full of water they are full of ammonia. Uriforms are a branch of
life that arose out of an ocean of liquid ammonia. At such cold temperatures, Uriforms are much
slower than their water-filled counterparts. Because it is a dim world, the ecology runs on
chemiosynthesis. Microbes, at the bottom of the food chain, live near cryovolcanos, and feed off the
nutrients that are belched out. All life lives around volcanos for another reason. They use oxygen for
respiration, and only close to a cryovolcano were water is in a liquid form can they live. Mixed with
ammonia, water has a much lower melting point and is safe for Uriforms. Any ammonium hydrate
mixture of more than 25% water will be too hot and will boil Uriforms. The hydrogen is not wasted;
it is added to carbon dioxide the life forms consume. This, added with the hydrocarbons eaten from
their prey, fuels the Uriforms simple lifestyle. Because they have no eyes, the bodies of multi-cellular
Uriforms are either translucent or gray. Those that do have skin, have thick skin, proportionally two
to three times thicker than a waterborne lifeform.

1.4.B.1) Ammonium Plankton
Description: Near the bottom of the Uriso food chain are the plankton. These are not like the
plankton that live in water oceans. These plankton are only three to four millimeters in length and
serve as a food source for much of the planet’s fauna. Like all lifeforms filled with ammonia, they
are far colder and slower than their waterborne counterparts.
Head: They have a very rudimentary head, that consists almost exclusively of a mouth.
Body: They are one of the few Uriforms that are self-propelled, using their tails for both propulsion
and filtering microbes out of the ammonia.
Diet: In ammonia oceans, there is little energy from the sun. Instead, ammonium plankton eat
extremophile bacterium living in the ocean.
Lifecycle: Plankton are all born in plankton blooms that occur near volcanic eruptions. The burst
of energy causes an explosion of microbes, which in turn feeds the plankton.
Reproduction: They hatch from microscopic eggs that float in the ocean, and also serve as food for
other filter feeders.
Habitat: They thrive near the surface of the ocean, away from many of the ocean floor dwelling
predators.

1.4.B.2) Uriso Sponge
Description: The Uriso Sponge is a filter feeder fixed on the sea floor. They are always found near
the under-ammonia cryovolcanos, where they will pump ammonia through themselves.
Internal Structure: Flowing through the sides, the Ammonia is filtered for microbes and plankton;
the food is broke down and pass on to other cells, while the ammonia is pumped straight out the top.
The largest of such sponges are the size of houses. Even small ones have active pumps, as strong as
Terraform hearts.
Diet: Microbes, plankton, or anything small enough to be sucked into the sponge by their pumps.
Lifecycle: The larvae form of the sponge resembles a hydra or a jellyfish. They swim through the
ocean, still filtering the liquid medium through them until they find a suitable location to anchor
themselves for the rest of their lives.
Reproduction: During volcanic eruptions, the sponges will spawn in mass.

1.4.B.3) Uriso Jellyfish
Description: Living in the ammonia ocean of Uriso, are a number of strange animals. One of them
is the Urisoform equivalent of jellyfish. The jellyfish is between 200 and 300 millimeters in
diameter, and has tentacles of one meter in length.
Body: They looks just like Terraform jellyfish, though not as see-through at their water counterparts.
Internal Structure: The animal is a stomach with tentacles that drifts through the oceans near
cryovolcanos in the ocean. The jellyfish is mostly a filter feeders, filtering the ammonia through the
upper most blob. The filter doubles as a method of propulsion.
Diet: Their primary prey consists of ammonium plankton. However, the lower, larger blob can reach
out with tentacles, grabbing larger prey that might brush up against them. The tentacle injects toxins
that instantly immobilizes their prey.
Lifecycle: They are a long lived species, in the order of centuries, mainly because life in an ammonia
ocean is cold, and operates on levels far slower than any waterborne lifeform. For the first decade
of their life, they are polyps anchored to the ocean floor. The live close enough to the volcanoes to
take in ammonium hydrate (ammonia-water mix) in order to extract the oxygen, but not so close as
to be boiled by the molten pure water. After a few years feeding in the way of sponges, their tentacles
develop as does their propulsion system. At this point, they detatch from the ocean floor and begin
to drift through the ocean.
Reproduction: The primary means of reproduction for the jellyfish is through budding. New jelly
fish will sprout out of buds on the tentacle, and in extreme cases, will grow from parts of the jellyfish
torn free.
Habitat: Across the planet’s ocean near the volcanoes that power the planet’s ecology.

1.4.B.4) Giant Flatworm
Description: The giant flatworm is the most advance form of life native to Uriso. It is, as its name
suggests, a flatworm of about one meter in length.
Head: Antennae around their beak-like mouth are used to detect the slightest motion in the
ammonia.
Body: They are also one of the few animals that are self-propelled, albeit slow. They are slower than
a Terraform slug at their fastest. Which is fine; their prey is usually stationary.
Internal Structure: These flatworms have evolved a rudimentary central nervous system which is
used to steer and guide the flatworms.
Diet: As an active predator, the flatworm has many advantages over its prey. However, because life
moves so slowly, that even after billions of years, nothing more advance will be found living in the
oceans of Uriso.
Lifecycle: Flatworms live for hundreds of years. This may sound like a long time, but in truth it is
mostly due to just how slow life operates in an ammonia ocean. The worms grow throughout their
entire life, reach lengths of a meter after centuries of sub-sloth growth.
Reproduction: Flatworms are hermaphroditic, and spawn on mass when conditions are right. The
eggs require heat, and the flatworms will only come together after a recent eruption. The ‘shell’ of
the eggs are resistant to the heat caused by water.
Habitat: Around volcanic hotspots, patrolling to the outer edge, picking off prey that is pushed off
course by currents.

Dorozhand, I ISOTed a (purported?) continent of Atlacamani here into the South Pacific... Is that good for a continent? Would you use it? If no, you are free to modify it...

Would you like to participate in this game?

Also, is anything more planned for the Huitzilopochtli system?

Dorozhand

Banned
Dorozhand, I ISOTed a (purported?) continent of Atlacamani here into the South Pacific... Is that good for a continent? Would you use it? If no, you are free to modify it...

Would you like to participate in this game?

Also, is anything more planned for the Huitzilopochtli system?

I like it :)
Right now I actually do have something else planned for Huitzilopochtli.