Alternate Planets, Suns, Stars, and Solar Systems Thread

a relief-y terraformed mars

unknown.png

Apologies for the double post, but since I have the height map, I may as well do something with it.

I bring you: A K7 projection Mars, to scale with QBAM. With topography. And in 2 different sea levels.

unknown.png

unknown.png

the colour scheme being used is the lovely X2 by @Ashtagon

What scale have you put on those two? It may be that the Y-scale I defined for X2 is not really compatible wit Martian physical geography (higher highs and lower lows), but using the same scales might help us understand the differences in geography better.

What scale have you put on those two? It may be that the Y-scale I defined for X2 is not really compatible wit Martian physical geography (higher highs and lower lows), but using the same scales might help us understand the differences in geography better.

I didn't use the assigned height values. I just posterised the heightmap and coloured it in based on X2

honestly i'm not sure how the original heightmap is calibrated because the various monses should dominate it but they don't

Does anyone have any greyscale heightmaps of Mercury, Venus, or Titan? I've done the Moon and I'm looking to do more qbam-scale* planetary maps.

*not exactly true, due to g.projector they are actually slightly smaller than they should be

Glaciation:

Is this the right place to ask a general question about glaciation (mainly for world building)? I've just read that snowball earth/the Cryogenian/Varanger Ice Age was so drastic because there was no land at the poles. Is this a valid rule?

Glaciation:

Is this the right place to ask a general question about glaciation (mainly for world building)? I've just read that snowball earth/the Cryogenian/Varanger Ice Age was so drastic because there was no land at the poles. Is this a valid rule?

I've actually heard the opposite-- climates are colder when the poles have landmasses. That said, I could very easily be wrong.

Hapsburg

Banned
Using the planet generator over on donjon, I present (in Mercator projection):
Telamond, a world in Outer Colonies of the Perseus arm, first settled in 3004 by Terran prospector John Henry Williams.
At roughly 45% the size of Earth, and a quarter of its mass, Telamond is blanketed in 96% ocean cover. Its atmosphere is mostly argon (80.1%) and oxygen (19%) with trace elements of other gases, making a dense but breathable air. The vast world-ocean is largely calm and its two continents (Williamsland to the west, Homer to the east) have a mostly tropical, pluvial climate; however the narrow seas between the landmasses is intensely chaotic and stormy, making its shoreline very difficult to settle. These storms, combined with the high atmospheric pressure and density, have impeded air travel to Homer, and consequent settlement or development of a space infrastructure. Telamond's population remains less than a million people, with over half of them settled in the colonial capital of Williamsburg in the southwest of Williamsland, a metropolitan arcology with a low ecological footprint. The rest is sparsely settled across the two continents and several islands, living hardscrabble lives in fishing villages or agricultural communities.
What it lacks in human habitation, it makes up for in its rich marine ecology. Its low atmospheric oxygen (relative to Earth) contribute to fairly small fauna and a largely shrub- and fern-like flora on its landmasses.

Telamond worlda.png

Hapsburg

Banned
Also using donjon's planet generator, again in Mercator. This one is adjusted to fit standard Worlda size. However, I am working on a worlda color scheme (blue sea, green continents, black borders) for the world in its proper scale. It will be almost twice this size when completed. But at least, here's the prototype:
Dangwar, the second of eleven worlds in the Jappa system in the spinward trailing edge of the Orion arm. A large oceanic planet, it is the homeworld of the xhellan, a species of spacefaring turtle-like reptilian aliens. Nearly twice the size of Earth, Dangwar is highly amenable to life and boasts a rich marine ecology and a surface nearly entirely covered in ocean. The planet is nearly seven times Earth's mass, with its composition being 45% iron, 25% oxygen, 14% magnesium, 13% silicon, and the rest being other metals and trace elements. The planet is layered with a silicate and oxide crust over a mantle rich in silicates and magnesium, all surrounding a large liquid outer and solid inner core of mostly iron. It has relatively high gravity, almost twice that of Earth, but life has adapted to such an environment. Its atmosphere is broadly Earth-like, with 78.8% nitrogen, 21.2% oxygen, and traces of other gases; this dense atmosphere insulated the surface against radiation and solar effects to make conditions highly amenable to complex life. It has no current natural satellites, but it does possess a planetary debris ring, thought to be the result of the collision of two small moons half a billion years ago. The tidal effects partially account for its stormy seas.

Dangwar.png

Using the planet generator over on donjon, I present (in Mercator projection):
Telamond, a world in Outer Colonies of the Perseus arm, first settled in 3004 by Terran prospector John Henry Williams.
At roughly 45% the size of Earth, and a quarter of its mass, Telamond is blanketed in 96% ocean cover. Its atmosphere is mostly argon (80.1%) and oxygen (19%) with trace elements of other gases, making a dense but breathable air. The vast world-ocean is largely calm and its two continents (Williamsland to the west, Homer to the east) have a mostly tropical, pluvial climate; however the narrow seas between the landmasses is intensely chaotic and stormy, making its shoreline very difficult to settle. These storms, combined with the high atmospheric pressure and density, have impeded air travel to Homer, and consequent settlement or development of a space infrastructure. Telamond's population remains less than a million people, with over half of them settled in the colonial capital of Williamsburg in the southwest of Williamsland, a metropolitan arcology with a low ecological footprint. The rest is sparsely settled across the two continents and several islands, living hardscrabble lives in fishing villages or agricultural communities.
What it lacks in human habitation, it makes up for in its rich marine ecology. Its low atmospheric oxygen (relative to Earth) contribute to fairly small fauna and a largely shrub- and fern-like flora on its landmasses.

View attachment 374379

Wouldn't the inner sea be less stormy than the outer sea, since it's smaller and relatively landlocked, while the outer sea with it's size and no landmasses in the way would produce very large storms? And wouldn't high atmospheric density actually make flight easier than on Earth, for the same reason flight at 1 km up is easier than flight at 20 km up?

Hapsburg

Banned
Wouldn't the inner sea be less stormy than the outer sea, since it's smaller and relatively landlocked, while the outer sea with it's size and no landmasses in the way would produce very large storms? And wouldn't high atmospheric density actually make flight easier than on Earth, for the same reason flight at 1 km up is easier than flight at 20 km up?
I assumed that the narrow sea would be stormier because of tidal interactions between the two coasts, making the water churn more. I'm thinking of how stormy the English Channel is (or so I've heard). Whereas the world-ocean is so wide that the big storms burn out before they can make landfall.
But you might be right. I don't know. Are there any weather experts here that can shed some light?

As far as the atmospheric density, what I looked up is that 1.38 atmospheres of pressure would be excessive, being somewhere around 139.8 kPa; aircraft usually get warned not to fly when air pressure is above 105 kPa.

I assumed that the narrow sea would be stormier because of tidal interactions between the two coasts, making the water churn more. I'm thinking of how stormy the English Channel is (or so I've heard). Whereas the world-ocean is so wide that the big storms burn out before they can make landfall.
But you might be right. I don't know. Are there any weather experts here that can shed some light?

It's why the Southern Ocean is so stormy and windy, since there's barely any land masses to break up the winds and current before you get to Antarctica. Islands in the Southern Ocean are some of the windiest places on land outside of Antarctica. A planet-wide ocean would create intense coastal storms, in addition to making sea travel a pain. This would include tropical cyclones with strengths which dwarf the largest Earth cyclones, although depending on the ocean currents, only parts of the coast would be vulnerable to them. Even worse, the extra pressure would make the winds even stronger than on Earth.

As far as the atmospheric density, what I looked up is that 1.38 atmospheres of pressure would be excessive, being somewhere around 139.8 kPa; aircraft usually get warned not to fly when air pressure is above 105 kPa.

Why is that? Wouldn't you be able to easily engineer a way around that?